Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I missed the whole Saquon Barkley OJ Simpson comparison Witten made a while back. For a second I wanted to forgive him because he was just thinking about someone he watched when he was a kid who was awesome.

OJ retired 3 years before Witten was born, and was a shadow of himself on the field for the last three years of his career.

How does he even think to talk about that? I'm aware that...say, Otto Graham existed. I'm not going to compare Otto Graham to Drew Brees off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yessss the thread title.

Grittybeard posted:

I missed the whole Saquon Barkley OJ Simpson comparison Witten made a while back. For a second I wanted to forgive him because he was just thinking about someone he watched when he was a kid who was awesome.

OJ retired 3 years before Witten was born, and was a shadow of himself on the field for the last three years of his career.

How does he even think to talk about that? I'm aware that...say, Otto Graham existed. I'm not going to compare Otto Graham to Drew Brees off the top of my head.
Witten is poop from a butt.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Butter Hole posted:

The worst part of this was Tessitore's reaction..."oh GOOD FOR YOU!!"

I think he was more obnoxious than Witten last night, but they all amplify the shittiness of each other. It's like a three headed monster of boring doofuses.

Tessitore was absolutely the worst of the three, and that is saying something.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We knew ESPN would have a hard time replacing Tirico, but it's deeply concerning that they're struggling to replace Gruden.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

gruden loving owned in the booth

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

going from gruden to witten is weird when the new crop of good analysts are all gruden contemporaries.

and it's just disappointing to remember how romo had announcing dry runs where they'd point him out on camera in some makeshift broadcast booth and he'd just be talking to himself and i guess witten did none of that and he's poo poo even though romo has even more cachet to sit back and be boring but he doesn't.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

LiquidFriend posted:

I have mostly avoided MNF because ESPN is so bad, so got a real taste last night. Witten was the worst part of the game.

https://streamable.com/q4u5q

What does that even mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPy-5PRC6Vs

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I didn't mind Gruden in the booth but he's way more entertaining as a head coach right now imho

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

OneTruePecos posted:

Tessitore was absolutely the worst of the three, and that is saying something.
Nah, Tessitore is the only passable one. He sucks in that booth but there’s no one who would be ok with Witten next to him. You can tell he’s still getting used to the cadence he should be using. I like him as a boxing guy, but the flow of the sport is totally different and I think he’s adjusting and getting better

Problem is Witten is godawful and Booger is talking too much which also sucks

I wish we could somehow get a Tirico / Romo booth, that’d own

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Benne posted:

We knew ESPN would have a hard time replacing Tirico, but it's deeply concerning that they're struggling to replace Gruden.

Why IS tirico doing college now anyway?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ELO Musk posted:

Why IS tirico doing college now anyway?

He’s basically the heir apparent to Al Michaels for Sunday Night Football. He did Thanksgiving this year, and some of the Thursday/Sunday Night games last year when Michaels didn’t want to do the quick turnaround. I think Al’s contract is up in a few years and/or he might retire, so Tirico is just doing other stuff at NBC in the meantime.

Also, I’m pretty sure when he was doing Monday Night Football, they’d do a college bowl game or two every year as well (I think him and Gruden did the Orange Bowl a few times), so it’s not unheard of for him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wyoak posted:

Nah, Tessitore is the only passable one. He sucks in that booth but there’s no one who would be ok with Witten next to him. You can tell he’s still getting used to the cadence he should be using. I like him as a boxing guy, but the flow of the sport is totally different and I think he’s adjusting and getting better

Problem is Witten is godawful and Booger is talking too much which also sucks

I wish we could somehow get a Tirico / Romo booth, that’d own
Did you see the Rams-Chiefs game? He was crowning it like halfway through the first quarter and each and every play he was saying poo poo about "Historic Moment" / "Never Seen Before" / "Record Breaking" / ect and it was infuriating. That should have been the most fun game to watch in years, but instead I spent half the game cringing at the commentating.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Did you see the Rams-Chiefs game? He was crowning it like halfway through the first quarter and each and every play he was saying poo poo about "Historic Moment" / "Never Seen Before" / "Record Breaking" / ect and it was infuriating. That should have been the most fun game to watch in years, but instead I spent half the game cringing at the commentating.

ugh, it gave me flashbacks of "SHOWTIME" mahomes.

in the end, the greatest MNF moment has to be this https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/10/espn-monday-night-football-foam-zone-old-spice-ad-video-reaction-witten-falcons-giants-fans-nfl

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It didn’t ruin the game for me by any means, but “is this not as advertised!1?!?!?” at the end of the first quarter or whatever was emblematic of the poo poo announcing. They were just trying way too hard to hype something that needed no hype.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Docjowles posted:

It didn’t ruin the game for me by any means, but “is this not as advertised!1?!?!?” at the end of the first quarter or whatever was emblematic of the poo poo announcing. They were just trying way too hard to hype something that needed no hype.

Yeah, the game pretty much spoke for itself.

With MNF, like someone watching an avoidable traffic accident unfold, I‘m just amazed at the word salad, mispronunciations, and overall bad analysis become more and more inane as the games progress.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The holidays really bring family together. My folks came over today and started complaining about a football announcer being terrible. His name? Jason Witten.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
ESPN knows it's hard to listen to Jason Witten guys but they cant jump off this poorly considered hire.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article222544875.html

quote:

“It’s been 12 games,” ESPN Monday Night Football producer Jay Rothman said in an interview last week. “We knew this would not be an overnight sensation, and I do believe he is getting better and better. We just ask for a little patience.”

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The only wit is in his name

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"Well, Romo is unavailable, Cutler gave us double fingers, uh... I GOT IT, HIRE ANOTHER COWBOY!"

Great move ESPN

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

iospace posted:

"Well, Romo is unavailable, Cutler gave us double fingers, uh... I GOT IT, HIRE ANOTHER COWBOY!"

Great move ESPN

Cutler would be, “God that was stupid play. I mean just look at how the defense is set up! Why would that idiot even think that could work. God.”

And there would be random instances of hearing him order more beer in the background during the play by play.

And I would be so down for this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proteus Jones posted:

Cutler would be, “God that was stupid play. I mean just look at how the defense is set up! Why would that idiot even think that could work. God.”

And there would be random instances of hearing him order more beer in the background during the play by play.

:same:

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I would totally be down for a Cutler/Romo telecast, it'd be either the best thing or the worst thing ever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I could live without Witten masturbating to Ertz every single play.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Durandal1707 posted:

I would totally be down for a Cutler/Romo telecast, it'd be either the best thing or the worst thing ever.

That would truly be an odd couple.

One has boundless enthusiasm for the game. The other nothing but cynical contempt.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

"Buhh uh bup"

- Jason Witten

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Proteus Jones posted:

https://youtu.be/CvL-4Pm3Zmw?list=PLXEe9gEX_-A0hUJ7H5WYXKW9zZB9VtzOa

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
ian eagle and dan fouts should broadcast literally every game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ches Neckbeard posted:

ESPN knows it's hard to listen to Jason Witten guys but they cant jump off this poorly considered hire.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article222544875.html

Hurrr durrr millions of dollars but we can't look before we leap hurrr durrr

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It seems like a lot of announcers this year keep referencing terms and calls they had as players. Like every coach uses their own playcalls and no one know what the gently caress you're talking about when you scream "YO-YO" in the middle of a broadcast Chris Spielman.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ammanas posted:

ian eagle and dan fouts should broadcast literally every game

Ian Eagle is a cool name but he sounds too much like Chris Parnell Paul F. Tompkins.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 4, 2018

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The sad part is Booger is significantly better than Witten. Every time they have him speak he sounds like a very intelligent and well spoken man.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
What I would tell Witten if I was giving him advice is that he needs to work on his use of cliches, especially those that venture into the realm of the absurd. Not everything a guy does on the field has to be forcefully related to his leadership qualities. Not every play can be used to extrapolate the team's mental state as a whole. It's just a play, it doesn't tell you anything about leadership or the team bonding. Just describe it in a creative and original manner and help us understand the nuances to what's going on n the play. If you can do that you're immediately in the top 15% of announcers. Talking out your rear end with 100% football cliches that you use so often that they functionally mean nothing is so irritating

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Was it Witten that actually said the Packers should have kept McCarthy for the rest of the season? Dude just is an idiot.

Booger is fine but I still can't get over his name being Booger.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

seiferguy posted:

Was it Witten that actually said the Packers should have kept McCarthy for the rest of the season? Dude just is an idiot.

Booger is fine but I still can't get over his name being Booger.

Booger is fine in comparison but in a vacuum he's also mainly a cliche guy. Occasionally he's amusing though which gives him some points. His joke yesterday about not playing anymore because "they can't afford me" was pretty good

Tessitore was horrible last night too. Pretty weird listening to a man give a three-hour-long, sloppy-as-gently caress blowjob while you're trying to watch a football game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I've whined about this crew before but last night took the cake on terrible sportscasting. They need to remove Witten and Boog and probably Tessitore too. I am hesitant on Joe because I get the feeling he's launching into these sidebars in an attempt to fix Witten.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 4, 2018

nah
Mar 16, 2009

MNF crew should be Suzy Kolber and Joe Namath.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

nah posted:

MNF crew should be Suzy Kolber and Joe Namath.

Username / post combo checks out

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Brent Musburger and Mike Judge.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Philip J Fry's mother and Zoidberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Frank Caliendo