Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I've never been so excited about something so terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm probably a weirdo but I actually like the Kirito/Asuna scenes throughout the franchise. They come across as quiet & nice without being too showy.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I liked the Kirito/Asuna relation in Ordinal Scale.

Also thanks to the person who posted about the abridged series earlier. Usually those are poo poo but that one got really good about halfway in.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
uh kirito wasnt the best tactic to knock that stupid poison dagger thing out of his hand using your umbrella arent you meant to be good with Swords

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that his first instinct when being accosted by someone after his life was the grab for the sword on his back. Play too many video games, eh?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

How long has it been since the end of SAO anyway, in the series? I can understand when you're doing it for 2 years in a setting that feels real the "muscle memory" is hard to get rid off. Although most of the time since then he's playing other VR games.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Demicol posted:

How long has it been since the end of SAO anyway, in the series? I can understand when you're doing it for 2 years in a setting that feels real the "muscle memory" is hard to get rid off. Although most of the time since then he's playing other VR games.

Like 2 months from Mothers Rosario(last arc of SAO S2) 5 months from phantom bullet(GGO). A year away from Fairy Dance(ALO and End of SAO).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kirito did poo poo all in Mother's Rosario, that shouldn't count for timeline purposes. He could have been doing dumbass RP in Spriggan town for all we know.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's also immediately after ordinal scale, where they actually did swordfighting stuff in (augmented) reality.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 10, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is Ordinal Scale good (by SAO standards)? I haven't watched it yet, and I expected it to be completely ignored since it isn't part of the light novels so being directly referenced caught me by surprise.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Ordinal Scale good (by SAO standards)? I haven't watched it yet, and I expected it to be completely ignored since it isn't part of the light novels so being directly referenced caught me by surprise.

The story is silly as usual, but the animation and sound design was very high budget. If you've been following SAO until now, you'll definitely like it.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It's good, OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpzFW5mCT0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Kirito did poo poo all in Mother's Rosario, that shouldn't count for timeline purposes. He could have been doing dumbass RP in Spriggan town for all we know.

He does have that silly scene where he helps Asuna's guild get in the boss room before some other guild by wall running past them like he's Sonic the goddamn hedgehog to head them off (Klein helps).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAYGzaRhciM&t=8s

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

TwoPair posted:

(Klein helps).

Isn't this the narrative constant of SAO?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did we really need Eugeo to recap the first half hour of last week's episode?

I did very much enjoy Kirito preparing to be the best at a thing and then immediately failing.

Well, I think I see how this season is gonna last 4 cour now. That was slow as balls.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 13, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I mean, what they're doing isn't recapping as much as establishing that Kirito has been seemingly erased from this world's history.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I did very much enjoy Kirito preparing to be the best at a thing and then immediately failing.

A moment that was then almost immediately undercut by showing that he still loving rules with a sword, he just can't switch weapons I guess.

quote:

Well, I think I see how this season is gonna last 4 cour now. That was slow as balls.

You ain't kidding though. I know that the plot necessitates that Kirito can't immediately exposition dump everything since he has no memory of this place but drat if it didn't drive me crazy whenever Eugeo or the little nun girl asked him if he knew how something worked and he just bluffed about it. I mean drat, Kirito, your amnesia story worked and nobody's threatening to have the system flag you as an aberration or anything; just let Eugeo be the tutorial boy and teach you about menus and poo poo beyond just "check bread durability".

Ultimately, say what you will about SAO, but pacing is not typically one of its problems, hopefully things can pick up soon.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 13, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
this slow episode will likely speed things up on the back end of the world building and introduction arc.

I don't think Kirito learned sword skills were a thing that existed in this world until later events. they also merged him learning about opening menus into this episode as well.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah they're definitely trying to make it move along faster than the novels.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Demicol posted:

Yeah they're definitely trying to make it move along faster than the novels.

Then drat how slow were these novels because that felt slow as molasses (which probably doesn't exist in Underworld).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dex sees the <<post>> by Kwyndig in which Kwyndig wonders about the pacing of the <<novel>>.

Dex tries to think up the best way to respond to Kwyndig's <<post>> to best sum up how the <<novel>> spreads things out and tells large portions of the story through inner monologe, and how condensing a ton of the world building and <<Kirito>>figuring things out into this <<episode>> means that hopefully they won't have to do it later.

"The novel, tends to focus a bunch more on Kirito's thoughts while the Anime has to find non monologue ways to explain mechanics" Dex types out to Kwyndig

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dexo's post deserves a serious :golfclap:, but basically: Kawahara is low-key jealous that Minoru Kawakami gets to write these thick-rear end volumes, while he has to work with a certain word limit.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Then drat how slow were these novels because that felt slow as molasses (which probably doesn't exist in Underworld).

If this was a 1:1 adaption we would still be with child Kirito and co. discussing the durability window in detail and hacking away at the tree.

And pretty much what Dexo said.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 14, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

this is also why mother's rosario is considered one of the few good sao arcs

with that and gun gale it becomes clear that sao's goodness is inversely proportional to kirito's involvement

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Also it was extremely dumb that Kirito immediately jumped to 'soul copying' before concluding that maybe they had better AI than he was used to. Hell, Yui is an advanced artificial intelligence from years ago and she acts like a person.

Edit: Maybe somebody better versed in SAO's garbage lore can tell me this, has Yui ever gone to a different game or is she stuck between real world stupidity and ALO?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She started in SAO, so yes.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kwyndig posted:

Ten books of chopping down a tree.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Also it was extremely dumb that Kirito immediately jumped to 'soul copying' before concluding that maybe they had better AI than he was used to. Hell, Yui is an advanced artificial intelligence from years ago and she acts like a person.

Edit: Maybe somebody better versed in SAO's garbage lore can tell me this, has Yui ever gone to a different game or is she stuck between real world stupidity and ALO?

She was in Ordinal Scale and apparently that's canon and that was just some AR machine, plus Kirito had her "investigating" poo poo on the internet so I guess she can just go wherever the gently caress as long as there's some wifi.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 14, 2018

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Eggfirm Straightedge

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I like that kendo practicioner and allegedly "good at swords even in the real world after Ordinal Scale" Kirito decided the best spot to aim for on an opponent carrying a lethal syringe was to aim for the leg. And he still somehow got jabbed in spite of being fully aware of the syringe and how dangerous they are. Let alone that after having suspicions they were being followed he decided to... keep walking with Asuna and go towards a secluded, dark area where help wouldn't be forthcoming??

Also am I imagining things or did it look like Kirito's umbrella had a spring loaded blade or something? Laughing Coffin guy seemed way too incapacitated for it to just be an umbrella.

Him jumping to "clearly they've been taking babies and uploading them to the fluctlight" is 9 kinds of :raise:. Inevitably he'll be correct since he bothered to give them a specific name but its still dumb.

Also even in a fantasy world it seems heinously stupid that you would consign 7 (and more planned) generations of people to hit this fuckin' tree and have made barely a dent in realistic terms. At that point do you not consider relocating the village or alternative tree removal means? God only knows how they keep people motivated to have that Calling when from the day you get it you know "oh hey my entire lifetime will be achieving nothing of consequence so this tree can be felled 12 generations/600 years from now". Man at arms guy might be a dick but he's also correct that Eugeo's Calling is trash.

Even though they played up Kirito not being good at tree chopping for this episode, I guarantee he's going to figure out the skill system or the like and end up smashing that tree to show off how amazing he is/get money/allow Eugeo to accompany him so that Kirito has a sidekick to be amazed at him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The Taboo Index essentially means that he has to complete his calling. Motivation has nothing to do with it. It's literally a programing routine that he can't break.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Also Kirito can’t use the skill system to crush it, because otherwise then S3 couldn’t be “Ten Books Four Cours of Chopping Down a Tree” as a follow up to S2’s “Two Episodes of Talking In a Cave.”

eschaton fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 15, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I watched Ordinal Scale today because I didn't realize it was on Hulu and just a few some brief thoughts:
  • I like Kirito being bad at the game and everyone calling him out on it yet being forced into playing since he's one of the only characters who can drive everyone else to events
    • Which is undercut when he gits gud via a montage that goes way too fast. In VR it makes sense that he could level up fast but in AR you'd need actual fitness and you just plain can't get magically in shape in a few days. (unless you're powered by plot I guess)
  • The fact that the cops would regularly cordone of
  • Klein's guild boys having matching custom team jackets is the nerdiest goddamn thing and I love it
  • The plot makes zero sense since it hinges on collecting SAO players' memories of Yuna to assemble a more accurate AI version of her, yet they said early on that she was not a big player and basically only hung out with Eiji, so collecting other survivors' memories of her is pointless since 99% of them wouldn't even have memories of her. And at the end they show everybody having memories of her as basically a background character. Wow yeah I'm sure those memories are important... :rolleyes
  • No one including Kirito seems to make a big deal about Eiji's magic enhancement suit which is amazing in the technobabble world of SAO.
  • loving Kayaba the Friendly Ghost having a casual chat with the professor was goddamn ridiculous in the best way. He's directly responsible for your daughter's death, Shigemura, get mad instead of talking shop with the guy!
    • And again Kayaba popping in after the final battle to say "Good job Kirito, now go save the day with this new sword!" was again, so hilarious. I love that the guy responsible for the deaths of thousands is now just kind of around, behind the scenes, like Digital God, and everyone just seems okay with it.
  • I appreciated (read: groaned loudly) at how the camera made the best of Suguha/Leafa's limited screen time by zooming entirely on her boobs every time she showed up.
  • So like, the Augma didn't get shut down or recalled? They don't even give a throwaway line about it getting a new less-dangerous model like the AmuSphere was to the NerveGear! Everyone's still watching Hatsune Miku Yuna concerts on the thing that could cause terrible brain damage if the wrong rear end in a top hat got control over the system!

Any complaints aside, seeing basically every single still living (plus one dead!) character in the series, down to background guys like the chaingun dude from Sinon's introduction in SAO2, show up to fight the final boss was my favorite kind of dorky fanservice. Good movie overall.

edit: Although, before watching the movie I had no idea who Yuna was and I thought she might be a character in Alicization since she's in the OP but now that I know there's basically zero chance of her appearing it means that everyone else in the OP might not show up either and that makes me disappointed.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 15, 2018

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

TwoPair posted:

still loving rules with a sword

I fired up WoW last night and started a paladin, kicked the computer over and spilled my chicken nuggets all over the place because I clicked the crusader strike icon and it actually happened.
Get that mary sue poo poo out of here!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Touche I guess? :shrug:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 15, 2018

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

New episode :toot:

----

Surprised at the Selika detour. Almost seems like they want Kirito to have a damsel in distress of his own rather then relying on Alice. Curious how they're gonna beat up goblins without even the special sword around. My guess would be Kirito applying his hackerman skills to figure out the "sacred arts".

I'm mildly smug at being right about how the key to cutting the cedar is going to be Kirito using a sword real good on it :smug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Something finally happens!

Next week

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Conot posted:

New episode :toot:

----

Surprised at the Selika detour. Almost seems like they want Kirito to have a damsel in distress of his own rather then relying on Alice. Curious how they're gonna beat up goblins without even the special sword around. My guess would be Kirito applying his hackerman skills to figure out the "sacred arts".

Picturing him trying to hack the game next week. "System Call: generate sword.exe!" "System Call: help!"

It still irks me whenever Kirito keeps shrugging off new information like he's mashing through a tutorial... which he kind of is, but he doesn't know the game. "Alice was studying Sacred Arts".... you're not even gonna ask what a sacred art is until you see a glowy plant, dude?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 20, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, he played the sao beta test. that means he is an expert on every single game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Except the most important one. :haw: