Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

site posted:

well that's what i mean, if you're watching it in SDR there's no problem because it's specifically a problem with their HDR

Ah I getcha. And no, apparently Firefox still does not support HDR so seems like you’re right (lucky me then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1784069985276748045

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

Watching that it sounds like the bigger problem is consumers not turning off auto-dimming features on their TVs. I have little sympathy for that.

on lg oleds you cant normally turn that off without a special service remote or using some software like colorcontrol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well okay I have a lot more sympathy now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching through a ps5 on a nearly 10 year old Samsung, no issues here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vintersorg posted:

It happened again with House of the Dragon. There was a nighttime beach scene and some people couldn't see poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

This guy is cool and goes into it (11 minutes).

Thank you so much for that, it was very informative. That's just what I've been experiencing.

Around the 6 minute mark, he mentions that UK streaming and some other countries get this effect - I'm betting that includes Australia. But from comments in this thread, I'm wondering if the US streams content in the same way, given how few other people here have had issues.

Why it doesn't apply when I torrent it, is still a mystery, but one I don't care too much about, as long as I can see what's going on.

edit: okay he goes on to say that UK viewers can use a VPN to stream from the US to avoid this issue, so there're all my questions answered.

So, my options are to either spend $30,000 on a new reference monitor grade TV, or download US versions of shows which are too dark.

In the UK (and I'm guessing Australia) streaming is done using HLG standard. In the US, they use HDR10.

Why they do this? Who the gently caress knows. But, at least now I know that they do.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 27, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thats not candy posted:

on lg oleds you cant normally turn that off without a special service remote or using some software like colorcontrol

It also voids you warrantee, according to the video.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Series finale almost 50 minutes long.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Final trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qGUiBI5hO4

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Good finale. Genuinely choked up when Omega hugged Crosshair and again when it showed her going off to fight with Tech’s goggles on the dash.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Loved how Bayrn channeled the audience and did a literal "I sleep" during Yet Another Monster Rampage™

I hope it has a long and happy life in the countryside

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gonz posted:

Series finale almost 50 minutes long.

Not quite as long as the premiere but I’m glad they gave it some extra time at least. I won’t be able to watch until later but does it leave any doors open for seeing any of this cast again out of curiosity?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Larryb posted:

Not quite as long as the premiere but I’m glad they gave it some extra time at least. I won’t be able to watch until later but does it leave any doors open for seeing any of this cast again out of curiosity?

Well you see it Yeah it does, maybe the rest of Force 99 but definitely Omega

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Well you see it Yeah it does, maybe the rest of Force 99 but definitely Omega

I knew she'd make it out. Now it's a question of whether she eventually returns in her own series or as a supporting role in someone else's

Also another question so I can prepare myself, how much do they ultimately lean into Omega potentially having Force powers if it comes back up at all?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 1, 2024

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Larryb posted:

I knew she'd make it out. Now it's a question of whether she eventually returns in her own series or as a supporting role in someone else's

Also another question so I can prepare myself, how much do they ultimately lean into Omega potentially having Force powers if it comes back up at all?
In this episode, none at all.

Obviously, there are lots of possibilities for the future, but sticking to "Obvious Force-potential but never trained to use it" sounds like a cool Star Wars future for her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cheesus posted:

In this episode, none at all.

Obviously, there are lots of possibilities for the future, but sticking to "Obvious Force-potential but never trained to use it" sounds like a cool Star Wars future for her.

Good enough honestly, thanks (I appreciate this series kept the Jedi element to the bare minimum, it’s a nice change of pace)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Thoughts on finale: Decent season finale, as a series finale not so much. The epilogue really feels like a “well at least they gave us a budget for a few updated models, we can afford two characters to wrap up the story in a few minutes of dialogue on an existing set.”

Wrecker and Crosshair got clearly wrecked in that battle, but they and Hunter apparently not continuing the fight in some way feels a bit odd. At least in this telling of the finale of their story. What happened with Echo? Other unresolved clone plot threads? Still unclear at this point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I enjoyed it.

I can’t recall if they had previously leaned into the “we’re done with fighting” stuff from Hunter and then, maybe when they arrived at Pabu? Either way, seems to chose to spend most of their time just enjoying the peace, although that doesn’t preclude them doing some odds and ends in between.

For the end bit, I’m curious exactly when it’s supposed to take place. The show doesn’t really give any hints behind the Rebellion needing pilots, which they pretty much always did. Could have been any time before, during, or after Rebels, pre or post Yavin, and so on, but it’s clearly during the war, so not likely post-Endor, which in the short term likely means we won’t be seeing Omega and them in Ahsoka or other shows set in that timeframe. Still, it very much opens the door to not only another show, but also the aging Bad Batch showing up again somewhere, which I hope and expect we’ll get to some extent eventually.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it was decent but didn’t really feel like a series finale to me in some aspects though bringing back the Zilo Beast was a nice touch and I pretty much called post timeskip Omega joining the Rebellion as well

We are absolutely going to be seeing some of these characters again in the future, it’s just a question now of in what capacity (the timeframe at the end is a bit ambiguous as mentioned though so there’s also a chance Omega didn’t survive the war)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 1, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I enjoyed that a lot, though I have to admit to kind of wishing we'd gotten to see Hemlock survive just long enough to see he had lost everything and THEN be unceremoniously sentenced to execution by Tarkin with the same callous attitude he showed to all his own victims - I guess they had to leave it so nobody on the Empire side still living had any knowledge of Omega's value to their side.

"Anything we want, kid," was a great closing line and I figure where the season was set to end, but I thought the little epilogue worked well and,"She'll be fine" was a fitting final line as well.

Still holding out hopes for (speculation on another possible show) Star Wars: Omega starring Frankie Adams with regular guest roles by Temuera Morrison though :shobon:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Teek posted:

Thoughts on finale: What happened with Echo?

I kept waiting for one of the operatives to lose their helmet and we'd see Echo's face. They were practically teasing us at a couple points when one lost his helmet, but put it back on with us never seeing his face.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh yeah I am way more sold right now on a proper Star Wars dogfighting show starring Omega than a Hidden Path show as hinted towards by the Ventress episode.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Anyone want to venture a guess as to how big a time jump that was? Omega was maybe 12 in the finale, so maybe a six year jump to be 18? Not sure that's enough time for the "Rebellion" to be a thing per se, there were a lot of independent cells operating then, so I guess it still could be more early on. If it's 10 BBY, that would put it in line with the Hidden Path being in full operation per Jedi Survivor and Kenobi. So they could have aged her up to more understandably be a full capable lead in a show like that.

Hopefully the episode guide will shed some light on when it takes place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I assumed it was basically around or just after ANH.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Great finale. What a great fuckin’ show.

If Sabine had three seasons of back story before Rebels, nobody would have bitched about here being hyper competent. Whenever and wherever we see adult Omega next, we’ll probably complain why she’s not leading the Rebellion her own goddam self.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seriously, if she’s this competent/badass as as a kid Omega should have had Mon Mothma’s job (or at least Leia’s) by the end of the OT

Now I want another show about her in the Rebellion (and possibly afterwards assuming she survived the war)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Time wise I'm thinking Some time before Rebels, if Hunter's age is anything to go by. Though he might be younger than Rex

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

My two favorite moments:

"Echo's work? Or Omega's?"
"Omega." "Omega."

and

Near the end after Hemlock is killed, Omega is about to run up and hug both Hunter and Crosshair, but she sees Crosshair's missing hand, takes a moment, and hugs Crosshair first. Such a small, personal moment, and I loved it. I got choked up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I imagine echo and emery ran off together and had a loving family with lots of clone kids and had a happy life together

Also omega joining the rebellion as a pilot, she probably became a a wing pilot, that would fit her personality

Good ending. It will be an good binge at some point.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress. That was worth the plodding of the last few episodes. Great finale.

Genuinely got choked up at Omega hugging Crosshair + Hunter, then saying goodbye to Hunter and finally the gut punch of Tech's glasses - he's really dead :( What a show - when it first got revealed I didn't give a poo poo - but the CW episodes were decent and then the show really takes off once it's on it's own.

Kudos to Dee Bradley Baker for once again knocking it out the park and making you care about all these clones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There was also that one trooper that talked like Tech as well though I don’t believe we ever figured out what his deal was (I was half expected Cid to return and redeem herself at some point as well after selling the crew out a while back)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Larryb posted:

We know from the first season that clones aren’t sterile so that makes sense (not sure if two clones getting together would create the same problems that incest would however since they technically share the same genetic material)

There was also that one trooper that talked like Tech as well though I don’t believe we ever figured out what his deal was (I was half expected Syd to return and redeem herself at some point as well after selling the crew out a while back)

Gonna assume they figure it out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Gonna assume they figure it out.

If you’re talking about the last part it doesn’t come up in this episode at the very least (unless I forgot about something)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Larryb posted:

We know from the first season that clones aren’t sterile so that makes sense (not sure if two clones getting together would create the same problems that incest would however since they technically share the same genetic material)

There was also that one trooper that talked like Tech as well though I don’t believe we ever figured out what his deal was (I was half expected Cid to return and redeem herself at some point as well after selling the crew out a while back)

If you are talking about Cut, those are his step-kids. they are from a CW episode so clones may be Sterile

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

If you are talking about Cut, those are his step-kids. they are from a CW episode so clones may be Sterile

Ah, forgot about that. Nevermind then, that makes more sense honestly

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Tales of the Empire teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDKM35_xVFM

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

twistedmentat posted:

I imagine echo and emery ran off together and had a loving family with lots of clone kids and had a happy life together

You are describing incest. Technically.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bunnyofdoom posted:

Emery being a super scientist, i'm gonna assume she figures out a way or day adopt[spoiler]

The other scientist lady [spoiler] I like that right after she's lead away poo poo starts going sideways and i wonder if the guards just left her alone or she was shoved in a cell and forgotten about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Honestly this character with a poster and that pose make me think they knew exactly what they were implying and maybe it was even true