Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Does that make the Favreau series the furthest we’ve delved into the ROTJ-TFA gap? IIRC, the Aftermath books end around the Battle of Jakku and there isn’t much else until the Poe comics set just before and after TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't get it. What happened to Star Wars fans?

The Last Jedi.

The default public opinion of Star Wars has swung back to prequel-era levels of hatred, combined with right-wing MAGACHUDs emboldened on social media moaning about every single female or POC character included in new SW media. Resistance was going to get a ton of loud negative reactions regardless of actual content. That’s just how toxic a not-insignificant portion of the fanbase has become. And I’m aware of the article this week about the bots influencing online opinions, but that segment of the fandom has always existed. They’re just being signal-boosted now.

The answer, as always, is gently caress ‘em. Make what you want, watch what you want, enjoy what you want, because eventually they’ll get tired of throwing tantrums and move on to the next thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, well, you probably know what my opinion on the matter is already, in that case.

Sure, but you and others here are always civil about it. The same can’t be said for most folks on social media.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just for avoidance of doubt, I really liked TLJ a lot, but my opinion is that more people probably disliked it than liked it.

I honestly can’t tell. It’s definitely divisive, but the detractors are so loving loud that it’s tough to gauge what percentage of the audience they actually make up. The friends I saw it with in the theater all had mostly positive things to say about it immediately after, but as soon as the vitriol started to spread across the internet later that month, nearly all of them backtracked and now claim to hate it.

quote:

Anyway, I've been thinking of tracking down the Ewok tv movies following discussion in the CineD thread. I nicked them off the Internet years and years ago before they got their dvd releases but I've never watched them since. My first exposure to them was actually through the Essential Guide to Characters, of all things. :D

I’ve watched just about every SW thing, including the bizarre Droids cartoon, but I still can’t make it all the way through the Ewok movies or the cartoon. It’s just unbearable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm not sure the source beyond an old starwars.com article, but from Wookieepedia:

Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo. He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, but the exact authenticity of this claim was unknown. He wore Mandalorian armor after becoming a bounty hunter and assassin for hire, a fact that led officials of Mandalore to disavow any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.

E: Of course this is a page that exists: https://www.bobafettfanclub.com/news/fett-fact-check/is-boba-fett-a-mandalorian-or-does-he-just-wear-mandalorian-armor/

The 501st and other Boba diehards hate this if you bring it up. I made that mistake at Celebration.

Not thrilled about the focus on a boring SW culture, especially after we just had TCW and Rebels expand on them, but I am extremely down for The Man with No Name: A Star Wars Story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Boba Fett a big part of the marketing for ESB or ROTJ?

Sort of. He was the lone bright spot in the ‘78 Holiday Special, and his Kenner action figure was a mail-away special before ESB came out. IIRC that figure was also the first concrete piece of ESB info revealed. He was mentioned fairly often in Bantha Tracks before ESB’s release as well.

I think his popularity has to stem from:
a) Adults who grew up in that initial wave of fans and Boba was the first bit of sequel news
b) The look of his armor
c) Being heavily promoted in the 90’s with Shadows of the Empire, the Bounty Hunter War novels, and his appearances in the Special Editions

He is, admittedly, a cool design.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Eh, he was initially portrayed as a badass and kids latched onto that, even if he kind of sucked in subsequent films.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tomtrek posted:

I really really want the thing on his back to be the electric prod thing Boba has in the Holiday Special.

:same:

I wish the armor had a little more color, but this fits the western vibe they’re going for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The current rumor gaining steam is that Pedro Pascal is playing the titular mando

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He’s writing and EP.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The main character has Season 1 Ezra Syndrome, in that I can't wait for him to explode and die grow up and stop being so irritating. The show's biggest flaw right now, for me at least, is that there's only two likable characters (Yeager, Bucket) in the cast. It's impossible to judge this early on, but I have a feeling it'll follow the same trajectory as Rebels, where the first season is rough and small in scope, and subsequent seasons get better once the larger conflicts are introduced.

I'm really digging the ship designs though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
One thing I will say about Resistance is that the mix of OT, PT, and ST alien/droid designs is fantastic. You’ve got new guys like the giant-headed janitor and Unkar Plutt’s species alongside pit droids, Aleena, and OT deepcuts like snaggletooth.

Not sure what to make of Jim Rash’s ‘literally an ovoid chicken’ alien.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jivjov posted:

Ooh, I'm glad it was confirmed that those were the newest model X-Wings in the beginning. Good stuff

I kinda like how beefy they look. It’s like a SW take on a Crimson Skies design.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Mike Zeroh makes up every single thing he posts. He’s so notoriously inaccurate that he’s literally become an inside joke at Lucasfilm. Don’t bother with any of his stuff.

For solid leaks, I follow MakingStarWars, Star Wars NewsNet, and the r/starwarsleaks subreddit that aggregates those two plus random twitter stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It did get recycled into a TCW episode IIRC, with Young Boba hiring Bossk and Aurra Sing to help him try and capture Mace.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m glad they’re still trying to include Lucas every now and then, but these always come off as really forced photo-op moments where Lucas is clearly ambivalent about being there.

I’d pay good money to read honest editorials written by Lucas where he discusses and reviews all the Disney-era SW media. I know we’ve gotten little snippets of his opinions every now and then, but I’d kill to hear him discuss what he thought did or didn’t work in each film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burning_Monk posted:

Have you seen the prequels? I couldn't care less what he thinks of modern star wars. He made this bed...

:jerkbag:

I doubt I’d agree with what he says, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear it. The man is one of the most influential filmmakers of the last 40 years, no matter what you think of the prequels.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rocksicles posted:

Lucas made Red Tails and i love him for that, regardless problems with the script.

Finally could make a dogfight movie with craft that fly like they are supposed to.

He also fought for the movie to be made for years and spent a ton of his own money promoting it because the studio didn’t think a mostly-Black cast was marketable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Azhais posted:

Is red tails anywhere near as good as the Tuskegee Airmen?

No, but the dogfights are fantastic. The film works a bit better once you know that Lucas and McGruder were aiming for a 40’s-50’s “romanticized serial” type of film instead of a dramatic war film, but it’s far from perfect.

I’m sure the dogfights are on YouTube somewhere, they’re definitely worth a watch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nazis is only two syllables

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hondo is terrible and this is a hill I’m more than willing to die on

:colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thrawn527 posted:

I feel so dumb for missing this, but did Fulcrum get name dropped in Rogue One?

Yeah, Cassian was either Fulcrum or a recruiter for Fulcrum, I can’t remember which.

I am all about this announcement. Luna is a great actor but he was underutilized in Rogue One. I could care less about seeing K2 again, but hopefully General Draven is involved in some fashion. That guy was great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, and Rebel Assault were the holy trinity when I was 6.

Then, Shadows of the Empire replaced Rebel Assault. :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I won’t be happy until the Mandalorian pushes a baby speeder down a hill and vibroblades shoot out the sides and lop off a bunch of stormtrooper legs

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Teek posted:

Pedro Pascal *finally* officially official:

https://www.starwars.com/news/pedro-pascal-revealed-as-the-mandalorian

I think this is the first we've heard of Giancarlo Esposito also being the cast.

Also official confirmation of Carl Weathers and Werner Herzog.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If we get anything, it’ll just be a title reveal. However, a lot of the recent speculation hinges on some kind of recently announced Disney tv special promising new info, but it’s almost certainly about Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland/World, and not IX.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Exactly what I was hoping. Also his overpowered toilet seat ship

Edit: That's an onion like site right on that Nolte news?

Nope, MakingStarWars is probably the best news site when it comes to accuracy of leaks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

The best part is in the novels is that the FO loving Senators were also taken out by Starkiller base. The First Order gives no fucks.

Thing is, TFA and TLJ take place over what? Half a week? That means no matter how much time passes before Ep9 takes place, Resistance is going to show stuff from right after The Last Jedi happens. I guess that also explains why BB8 is back working with Kaz.

IIRC, about a week and change from Kylo’s assault on the Jakku village to the battle on Crait, yeah.

The original rumor for the Ep. IX time gap was 3 years after TLJ, but more recent stuff has indicated something closer to 1 year, maybe even 8 months since Crait. It won’t take Resistance long to catch up if that’s the case.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
In this particular case I think it's alright though. It's been backed up by FanthaTracks and Jason Ward, two trustworthy sources. The main crux is that it's been in production since last spring and Ewan McGregor was at the Solo premiere in anticipation of an announcement right after, but Solo's lukewarm response caused them to reevaluate the project and turn it from a feature release into a limited series on Disney+.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

IRQ posted:

Is that now 3, 4 if you count Clones Wars' lost episodes or whatever, tv series in production?

I'm not sure how to feel about that.

- Clone Wars, Resistance, Mandalorian, and Cassian officially confirmed or currently in production.
- Kenobi likely to be announced at Celebration.
- Vague rumors of the following being at least pitched and considered; Lando/Solo follow-up miniseries, something to do with young Leia, Knights of Ren, Darth Bane

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Oh. I dunno what that references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dune_secondary_characters#Liet-Kynes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm sure it'll happen eventually. It's almost a certainty with Disney+ looming on the horizon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jivjov posted:

Torra's 14 and Kaz is 25; I hope they aren't pushing a romance angle there.

Wow I genuinely thought Kaz was a teenager given how he acts. How is he only 10 years younger than Poe?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

Taika Wat8t8

This rules, but the prevailing rumor is that it’s not IG-88, just another IG-Series droid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just wanna know what ships will be in the new waves of x-wing

The poster shows an X-Wing, an A-Wing, a Y-Wing, and a new TIE Interceptor with triangle wings that, IIRC, is straight out of the TFA art book

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm starting to think that they're going to announce too much at Celebration, and some announcements will be drowned out by bigger news.

Well we know they won’t be announcing any new animated stuff, and it’s unlikely we’ll get anything more than little tidbits of info on the RJ trilogy or the GoT guys movies since there’s no “Future Filmmakers” panel this year.

So Celebration will mostly be:
- IX Title and Teaser/Trailer
- Mandalorian Teaser/Trailer
- Possible Resistance S2 info
- Clone Wars info, and Filoni will probably debut the first episode to the crowd, just like he did with Rebels at Celebration Orlando
- Jedi: Fallen Order trailer/gameplay
- Strongly rumored Obi-Wan tv show announcement

That’s packed, but about on par for Celebration. I’m sure there’ll be other surprises too, but most of the focus is going to be on non-film stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That Thrawn looks way too... american? He looks like some middle manager at an accounting firm.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kanine posted:

wtf man hes loving pierce brosnan

No way, all I see is Kyle Chandler

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I loving love that John Knoll heard they wanted to make a model for lighting reference and immediately went home and CNC’d an old fashioned motion rig for filming in his garage :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t understand the logic behind blacking out the livestream for stuff that’s going to leak out in lovely res anyway, and I say that as someone who’s waited in an overnight Celebration line for a panel in the past.

Just show everyone the drat clips! :argh: