Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Who owns the streaming rights to the Droids and Ewoks cartoons? I only have the few eps that were released by Fox on dvd but want to see the rest.

Are those cartoons any good (same question in regards to the live action Ewok movies for that matter)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think I saw one of the Ewok movies once when I was a kid but I don’t really remember much about it aside from two kids crash landing on the planet and somebody getting stuck inside a lake at one point.

How many of those movies did they make?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't been keeping up with the show that much but out of curiosity did they ever give the baby Yoda a proper name or is it still just "The Child"?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

This guys rendition of Darth Jar Jar convinced me that I really want to see the concept of an evil dark side Gungan fully realized in some form or another.

Because I've said it before and I'll say it again as far as Star Wars aliens go, Gungans look loving rad.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v230na?fbclid=IwAR2nDK3xi5f_dTijwAt187SiP-WEEJYB6bjtCgGPKX1cgZjL9JMOwvjAQ7U

I forget, has there ever been a Gungan Jedi (or at least one with force sensitivity) in the EU?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also out of curiosity, why were most of the Clone Wars episodes aired out of order for the broadcast version?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cargohills posted:

They weren't aired out of order, they intentionally jumped back and forth in the timeline in the early seasons.

Ah I see, I only watched the series recently so I wasn’t sure whether it was a network issue or if they did it intentionally

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Barely getting into this clone wars show. Should I watch in chronological order that all these websites have?

Either works honestly. Also the Clone Wars movie is canon and features the proper introduction of Ahsoka.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also even the movie is technically released out of timeline order (I think there’s a few pre-Ahsoka episodes here and there in the series itself).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Disney+ should add a “Watch in chronological order” option like they did for the MCU.

I forget, why didn’t they just do the episodes in chronological order from the start as opposed to jumping back and forth as things go on?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

The original intention was that it was going to be little vignettes from all around the Clone Wars and not a single throughline story. That went off the rails immediately.

Did the random episode order last the entire series or did they eventually decide to give it up?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad start, so what’s the release schedule for this series? Every Friday?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, who exactly is Omega a clone of? As far as I remember all of the Jango clones were male (also I wouldn’t be surprised if she turns out to be force sensitive)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

There's no reason to believe they can't have just changed a Y chromosome to an X chromosome to make Omega a female clone. When you look at the process of making a clone, that part seems like it would be the easy part, if anything.

True. I forget, is this the first time we’ve seen a female clone?

Also is this series by the same creative team behind Clone Wars and Rebels? Don’t remember if they had anything to do with Resistance though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I believe so. On both counts. And Resistance was mostly different people. At least Filoni wasn't involved much in that.

That would explain a lot about Resistance then. Good to see the old team back on another project

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently this episode retconned Kanan’s origin story a bit for some reason (though to be fair I’m not sure how canon the comics are supposed to be):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5nzgY52TwNQ

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 5, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galenanorth posted:

I haven't even seen Rebels, but I also interpreted Caleb as black in Rebels from a thumbnail on his Wookiepedia page, and also interpreted Saw Garerra as white when I first saw him during The Clone Wars (and then I looked up his Original Trilogy appearance)

The first episode was a lot better than I expected it'd be. I think it's because the Clone Wars arc dragged out over three episodes, with one ending in a "your princess is in another castle" so they had to do yet another raid, so it had to be driven by the characters of the team, and this story is more conflict-driven. Also, Omega is a good character and Hunter seems the least pre-Flanderized or cartoonishly exaggerated of the batch

Watch Rebels, it’s pretty good honestly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

So is a new ep dropping tomorrow or is it a week tomorrow?

Tomorrow I believe, and then every Friday afterwards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the entire Bad Batch minus Omega all voiced by Dee Bradley Baker or do they have their own unique VA’s?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

fartknocker posted:

It’s all Dee Bradley Baker. I think the credits don’t even list the characters separately.

Huh, odd to have a series where about 95% of the main cast is voiced by the same guy but they all sound unique enough at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s great to finally have David Filoni back again. Out of curiosity, why wasn’t he involved with Resistance?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Would he have been preoccupied with The Mandalorian?

I’m pretty sure that show started after the former got cancelled but I’m not 100% on that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

He created and executive-produced it, and wrote The Recruit, then basically handed it off to other writers as LucasFilm started gearing up for Disney+

A pity, that show probably would have been a lot better had he stayed on with it.

Honestly they should let Filoni direct and/or write a movie, he seems to have a pretty good handle on the Star Wars universe.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 8, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

Perhaps, but figure Disney was always going to end up a little allergic to the Sequel Trilogy, so it might've gotten cancelled anyway but we wouldn't have had The Mandolorian, The Clone Wars or The Bad Batch.

Fair point, but I just feel like he probably could have made something decent out of it like he did for the Prequels with The Clone Wars. Overall I agree it's likely better this way though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Resistance even considered part of the canon for that matter (like have any characters shown up again in the comics or anything like that)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

Yes--Resistance is part of the story group canon, like all the other modern-release shows.

Thus far I think the only major repeat appearance is the Aces's ships at the Battle of Exegol, and one line of dialog from Kazuda in the novelization of the same.

Wait, there’s a Rise of Skywalker novel? Is it any better than the movie?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha, how are the novelizations of the other two sequel movies then? And did Rogue One and Solo get book adaptions as well?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does the Rise novel bother to give at least a half assed explanation of Palpatine’s sudden return?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to the shows for a moment, the main problem with Resistance was the same problem with the whole Sequel Trilogy: There was no plan. With TCW and Rebels, we at least knew where the story was eventually gonna end up, with ROTS and ANH, respectively.

JJ Abrams and the others involved with the sequels kept things quiet because they didn't want leaks getting out, which hurt Resistance because they couldn't plan ahead and try to avoid clashing with what was happening in the movies.

I forget, did that show even get something resembling an ending or was it just canceled prematurely during the second season?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omega doesn’t seem that bad at the moment at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sekhmnet posted:

The novels for the star wars movies aren't exactly *good* but they do tend to work from the movie scripts before the movies get edited; so they provide a lot of extra exposition. Reading the novelizations for the prequals, for example, made me like them more because it dived just a little deeper into the story. Or maybe I'm bad at watching movies and don't pick up on subtext very well; who knows.

I know I read the Rogue One novel, and the Solo probably does have one as well. I should finish the Solo movie; I don't mind the actors or the performances but it was kind of boring for a Star Wars movie.

It’s been said before but Solo is a waste of a really good cast in my opinion (though the movie is watchable enough I suppose)

I’ve never actually read any of the Star Wars novelizations but I’ve heard good things about the ROTS one at least, any others any of you would recommend?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Servetus posted:

I did read the Solo novelization. Having Qira as a pov character, and thus having access to her thoughts makes it a different story, since in the movie there's an open question of how much genuine feeling vs manipulation is involved in her relationship with Han.

Out of curiosity, what’s the book’s answer to that question then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

It's pretty good, yeah, but the cowards cut out the actual funniest bit of the entire franchise:

Is that from TCW? The artstyle looks a bit different

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, Clone Wars was cancelled so suddenly that they had voice work and rough animation already completed for like a good six episodes, including the Bad Batch arc.

Out of curiosity, how did the show manage to get revived after that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Servetus posted:

Her thoughts remain fairly consistent between the Correlia and after the time skip, which surprised me. When I watched the movie I was drawing a line between before and after, thinking that her experiences had hardened her and her wistfulness was as much for her own innocence as for Han. In the book she is making the same kinds of calculations before and after, and has similar feelings for Han before and after the time skip.

When she says she doesn't blame Han for leaving her she is being absolutely genuine, according to the book. She considers that to have been the logical move and what she would have done.

Do her and Han ever cross paths again in any EU material? I know she pops up in some of the comics at least.

For that matter, has there been any post-ROS EU stuff yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 10, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, there’s nothing inherently wrong with Solo per se (aside from it maybe whitewashing Han a bit) but there’s nothing particular noteworthy about it either and it wasn’t really a story that needed to be told.

It had a great cast though and I’d personally like to see at least a few of them come back one day

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

As in make Han less morally ambigious and more straight up boy scout

Yeah, maybe “whitewash” was the wrong word but that’s basically what I was getting at.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m so happy they’re keeping the Gonk droid around

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

You know, it's possible that we might end up meeting Ensign/Lieutenant Thrawn in this series.

One thing with Thrawn is that unlike most of the rest of the Imperial loyalists, he's expecting the Empire to eventually have to fight a real war with an equal or at least "near peer."

I forget, has Thrawn ever made an animated appearance before (or appeared in anything besides the books for that matter)? Also, is he even still canon now that Disney threw out the old EU?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

fartknocker posted:

He’s basically the main antagonist of seasons 3 and 4 of Rebels, which is canon. He’s also explicitly mentioned by Ahsoka in Mandalorian. There’s also novels about him in the new canon, including an on-going trilogy about his time in Chiss space during the same time as the Clone Wars.

Gotcha, nevermind then. So yeah, it could be neat to see him pop up in this series eventually in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Screw the Gonk droid, more Klink please