Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Mayor's majordomo reminds me a lot of Weyoun from DS9, like the actor is trying to do Jeffrey Coombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Man, episode 2: Dances with Banthas didn't sit well with me. I get the idea of going back to old serials but we stopped telling certain stories for a loving reason.

I too hate white savior narratives. At least they're using Maori culture as the template for the Sand People and their dances, and Temuera is a Maori trained in the haka, unlike Kevin Costner and the Lakota...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mdemone posted:

Please stop calling Temuera Morrison white. The rest of your point belies it.

I didn't call him white. I said that this is a white savior narrative. There is a difference.

In this narrative context, all humans are the equivalent of "white people" - they're part of a dominant overclass that is oppressing an out-group.

The actor is not white, but in science fiction race is coded as "other species". So we have the human character Fett comes from the Human-dominated overculture of the Republic/Empire. Even if he was oppressed as a Mandalorian, his humanity codes him as a racial superior in the eyes of the most powerful government in the galaxy. Then we see the narrative still follows the same conventions as Dances with Wolves: an oppressed group of helpless, technologically inferior natives are shown to be unable to defend themselves until a person from the dominant overculture teaches that out-group how to defend itself by adopting the tools and techniques of the invaders.

(You could argue that technically the Outer Rim is Hutt-dominated and both species are oppressed, but I'm not sure that really flies here given that the Hutts collaborated with the Empire).

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 10, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

Won't you guys all feel dumb when it turns out that the first sand people dude to unwrap his head turns out to just be a grunty human

Totally 100% expecting this reveal tbh

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

Why is that last bit such a bad thing? Isn't the bigger point that the person of the dominant over-culture teaches that out-group how to defend itself? If you wanted to write some kind of alternate history of the Native Americans with them retaining their ancestral lands, you might end up with a version of Harry Turtledove's The Guns of the South Maybe The Guns of the Sioux?

Much like the Spanish were to the Incas and Aztecs, the train is an "out of context" problem for the Sand People. They don't have an answer to it within their own tools and techniques - except for hide and hope it doesn't kill too many people and Banthas this time. Because if they did have an answer to it, they'd have answered it already without Boba's help.

For me the main point of that part and those that followed is that Boba is brought fully into the tribe because he has contributed greatly to the well-being of the tribe. So, again, why is the nature of his contribution such an apparently bad thing?

The general contention (and i'm just summarizing a branch of critical theory here) is that white savior narratives may on the surface appear to return identity and self-determination to native peoples, any actual appeal to those (small, marginalized) outgroups is largely accidental. This show was design for mass appeal to a primarily white audience, and white savior narratives became popular as propaganda for white people because it teaches them that the only way for other cultures to succeed is to become like them. In fact, it makes it morally obligatory for us to "help" them become more like us. Which is also called "cultural imperialism".

Any empathetic person's initial instinct is to 'even the odds and give the good guys guns', but that still leaves the out-group dependent on outsiders for parts and fuel. Or, it causes them to begin raiding, as the other Sand People do (as mentioned in the episode). The assumption I'm attacking here is that guns and speeder bikes are not necessarily an inherent good, as the sudden arrival of motor transport and firearms often upset delicate balances of power among local leaders and cause further outbreaks of violence long after the initial inciting event. This production nodded to Laurence of Arabia, which is appropos, considering T. E. Lawrence wrote at some length about how the sudden arrival of firearms and motor transport completely upended the culture of the desert nomads while also rendering them more dependent on modern infrastructure.

I'm not saying this is what the showrunners literally intend, this is just the semiotic payload they're delivering even as, by all appearances, they're trying very hard not to. That's what's frustrating me. They're trying hard, and they're getting pretty close, but their own grasp (or perhaps the studio's own grasp) of what a story has to be shaped like seems to be limiting them here. Or maybe something we've yet to see will address this. Their storytelling is generally pretty savvy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean that's basically the point. :psyduck: They are unable to do it without the outsider / white savior because they are so simple or backwards or whatever you want to call it. To use the actual episode as an example: they wanted to destroy the speeders until Boba convinced them to stop and learn how to ride them.

yeah this

Everyone posted:

You know what? There probably is a pretty cool story that revolves around the Sand People maybe luring out a Krayt Dragon or something to come destroy the train for them - a story in which outsiders like Boba Fett play no role whatsoever except to stay home and dig in sand for bug balls to refresh the thirst of the conquering Sand People tribe. Except this isn't that story. This is the Book of Boba Fett. So the stories are presumably going to revolve around on things Boba Fett did in ways that Boba Fett would do them. That said, I would absolutely be up for a "Tales of the Tusken Raiders" series at some point.

I think that's an awesome idea. That's actually kind of what I expected they'd do, but I'm guessing the CGI budget wasn't there.

You're right, this is the Book of Boba Fett. And they had to have Boba do something. The problem is, they put this story in the wrong book. They shouldn't have involved Boba in this particular tale in the first place. If he has to be there, have it be a thing that happens around him, or have him go off and find out when the train is going to come back. Have him do something else for the Sand People - anything else, as long as it isn't showing them how to be like offworlders.

This show likes to have people fight giant monsters, maybe do that again, nobody really seems to mind as long as it's a cool monster and somebody ends up covered in slime.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 11, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

So what? I guess the various Plains nations should give back all those horses that they wouldn't have unless the Spanish showed up. The fact that they did materially benefit from the adaptation of the horse was a Bad Thing because of White People having horses. Can't be riding around on horses, like Europeans, because you're benefitting from acting like White People (and Asians because they invented horses).

Did they benefit from having their land taken and their people slaughtered? Was the harm of genocide and the wholesale destruction of language and culture worth the convenience and utility that the introduction of horses brought to their survivors?

The world may never loving know, man. Thanks for asking the ~tough questions~

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have a really bad feeling the tusken ninja lady is gonna doff her mask and be a sexy human being who makes out with boba then dies tragically to further his story.

I hope they're not that big of hacks but IDK.

same, OP, same

Cartoon Man posted:

All I’ve learned from the past couple pages of this thread is that if I enjoy the Boba Fett show, I’m a racist.

I enjoy the show. It's not the most problematic fave ever. I actually think they're doing a large number of things right. That doesn't mean the problems it does have aren't worth exploring, as it gives us the opportunity to learn that

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Both things can be true! poo poo's complicated!

Amen, my friend. A-loving-men.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

I just finished rereading Leigh Bargudo's The Ninth House and one passage kind of stuck with me during this episode:

This Sand People tribe has now proven itself beyond doubt to be a threat to those spice runners. The truth is that the smarter bit of "White Savioring" would have been for Boba to head into civilization, do a little digging and find out the train's general route and schedule so that the tribe wouldn't be in danger the next times it went through. Yeah, it would suck to have to hide from the damned thing on their own lands, but they'd be alive and so would their Banthas.

Instead, with Boba's encouragement, they wrecked and robbed the train, making a really, really enjoyable mistake. Given that this show has six more episodes, figure that mistake will bite them in the rear end.

That's an excellent point, and is why I said in one of my earlier posts that I have faith in their storytelling. There are lots of ways this could still turn out.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

Good News: Which means we can stop talking about whether or not he's a "White Savior." Regardless of his "whiteness" none of the Tuskens were saved.

Yup, that was absolutely not what I expected.

Mega Comrade posted:

I hate to play the "my immersion" but I just don't think their design fits. Everything in tattoine is drab, run down, rusting and falling apart.

And then you have this 'street gang'

Star wars is a franchise intended for children. I know that. But that gang and that chase really made me think "christ I'm a 30 something dude watching a children's show in the middle of the day"

I thought the extremely safe car chase was a deliberate gag, it was practically worthy of Miss Marple

The cybergang is jarring, but I kind of like it, and could imply interesting things. Perhaps Tatooine's new daimyo wishes to make the city more... colorful. He and Shand also contrast sharply with the rest of the city in that photo. Perhaps taking this particular group on is a deliberate stylistic choice on Boba's part, making a political statement about the image he wants to project: a reformist, looking to the future. Or, someone willing to modify any part of himself - or the city? - to make it more effective. (Maybe after his post-bacta experience he'll want to incorporate some of his suit gadgets into his body...?

Cyberboba?
no
BOBOT FETT

but lol, RR and his fetish for pale brunettes with a cyberarm, wtfh

Owlbear Camus posted:

RE: The condition of the bikes. The kids obviously take exceptional pride in maintaining them in cherry shape as a form of self-expression.

We can take that as read from their appearance and it's an easier and more plausible conclusion than thinking the production design team forgot how weathering works for exactly one set of props out of thousands.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm probably not going to change your mind, but imagine you're a disaffected space mod culture youth trying to express yourself on a planet where everything is tan drab and sandblasted to poo poo. The clash is the point.

:hmmyes: bingo bango

they remind me of semi trucks in India

note sand, bottom of frame

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
seems obligatory to post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqiasBVGtX8

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Has anyone in tviv ever seen a good tv show

Do we know what they look like

Yes I know "The Wire" but there must be others

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So now that I'm not making y'all feel racist for liking the show, you hate it? I see how it is :colbert:

(That was a joke. I just think it's funny, because I was enjoying it before and I'm enjoying it now.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
dont make me tap the sign lmao

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

shades of eternity posted:

They are still hurting from the Sequels and are projecting hard, I think.

Because I'm so looking forward with a bag of popcorn to when Boba gets his Vette and it's just as brightly colored as the Space Mod's Scooters. :D

we discussed this. fett's vette is a rancor

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

shades of eternity posted:

But it will be in an armored suit of Belkar that's a primary color. :D

yes

it might even have tassles

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
super excited about winstead joining the ahsoka show, she's always seemed like she deserves way better material than she usually gets, as an actress

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vinylshadow posted:

Also nice to see Mando upgrading to a...what is that, space mustang hotrod?

this is the sort of ride Vin Diesel would go :vince: over

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Neon Knight posted:

The Armorer straight up redubbed Sarah Connors narration of judgement day in T2. I half expected a close up of a K2 droid stomping on a Mandolorian helmet. Can we look forward to Din visiting that wasteland to atone in S3? Perhaps there remains a underground covert on the planet worshipping some unexploded Imperial payloads because weapons are their religion.

Dr.Radical posted:

Now that you say it, yeah that’s probably what it was. But when I was watching it I was thinking of the giant walker apocalypse memory from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Possibly a nod to the director's role as Kate Connor in Terminator: Salvation.

Sentinel Red posted:

Also, even though it's bad business, I love that Din's all 'it's on the house' when he's told it's for Boba. Not even mates rates. just straight up Mandobros poo poo.

It's also pragmatic. Credits are credits. Legendary Bounty Hunter and Legendary Assassin feeling like they owe you a solid? Priceless.

eke out posted:

i love these hairless bulldogs

They are Klatoonians, from Klatooine. Yes, really.

Arc Hammer posted:

he goes to Tatooine to meet with Amy Sedaris since she found a replacement Starship for him. Then at the end of the episode he's heading off to visit Groguand give him his beskar present before coming back to help Fett.

What do you want to bet that Luke and Grogu are hanging out at old Ben Kenobi's place, conveniently on Tatooine

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm sure this is something that gets addressed. In his season 3 journey he could end up with a bigger ship but he could hang on to the starfighter for when it's needed.

like Bo Katann's light cruiser and its prominent fighter bay

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AndyElusive posted:

Goddamn. Just give Mando his own movie. Have it directed by Bryce Dallas Howard. It would be amazing.

This is the way

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like the whole child indoctrination thing -- whether it's Jedi, clones, Mandalorians, or any other faction -- is a really loaded Thing that has kind of gotten a bit out of hand in this universe, like actually kinda gotten away from the writers at this point and they don't really know what to do with it all.

oh man you should see the poo poo that goes on in PTA board meetings, I tell you what

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Jedi won because while the Sith were out having fun with their "girls" and "parties", they studied the blade

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What does the existence of Exegol teach us?

That the Sith find it more convenient to let the Jedi run around the galaxy trying to run things, because Senate meetings are boring as hell and long peace conferences screw with the orgy-planning. I bet there are more Exegols out there in Wild Space and Palpatine is regarded as a dipsith for what he pulled.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 2, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
the Emperor's birthday was celebrated as a holiday by the Empire. On this day, known as "Sheev Tuesday", Imperial citizens must confess their sins to an ISD interrogator and be absolved of their guilt, usually via mortification of the flesh, death, destruction of homeworld and/or species, etc

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

Did you the fifth episode of Loki with all the Lokis from differing timelines beating the hell out of each other to determine who got to be in charge? That's the Sith. The Jedi won because they cooperated and worked together without immediately backstabbing each other.

Also this. Diplomacy is super OP and must be nerfed.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Jedi forsake attachment, but the Jedi are also deeply attached to The Jedi

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Do we get it in 45 minutes or 3 hours and 45 minutes? I really want it to be star wars tiems nyao

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BrianWilly posted:

Take a nap! Or possibly, run headfirst into a wall to knock yourself unconscious. I've been doing that a lot and it's fine I feel fine

I'm west coast and 2am is my usual bedtime, it's no issue, I'm just impatient lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Luke Crait? That's a service that sends you a Jedi and a dangerous animal every month, right?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
"Somehow, the producers demanded/permitted this retcon"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i can't believe that episode of television actually happened

Bismuth posted:

also Luke's dialogue sounds weird

de-aging filter, like autotune but for being old. They made Hamill sound convincingly 30 again, but there were noticeable artifacts.

like i'm kind of grateful it's not perfect, because perfect deepfakes are gonna be trouble for Society

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also, I’m 50/50 on whether Vanth is actually dead. Only one shot to the shoulder when the deputy got five or six, plus you don’t just waste Timothy Olyphant after one episode and a cameo.

But on the other hand, [spoiler]killing Vanth with a single shot and walking back into the desert is a legitimately cool way to introduce Cad Bane as a threat for the finale

I'm with you there. I don't think he's dead, I think he'll get filled with robot parts like Fennec Shand.

I lol'd when Luke asked Ahsoka if he'd see her again, he sounded like a lovesick farmboy pining for his sister

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Remember that Yoda shows up as a force ghost at the end of ROTJ
Could have literally just told Luke where to find his old lightsaber

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What disney would really like to do is entirely remove creatives from the process, and algorithmically generate all future content

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, it's not accent, it's meter, like having a character who only speaks in iambic pentameter. I dig it, it is awesome and feels right for the character.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Marsupial Ape posted:

The Jedi's hang ups about the corrupting nature of love and emotional attachments is a direct translation of the Lucas's hang up about love and attachment, at least at his age in the late 70s.

Anakin was an abusive, lovely boyfriend and his need control Amidala destroyed him and the Republic. Anakin never loved Amidala, he was obsessed with her as an idea.

Reality is full of sand

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Teek posted:

Scuttlebutt among reliable spoiler droppers seem to say that the Kenobi trailer may drop in the next day or so, possibly even tomorrow.

People at the store be like "Oi buy one Kenobi please"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I wish she'd get cast more and in better things, she elevates whatever trash she's working with.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am an outspoken Twitter leftist doing constant posting praxis, and if I got Star Wars money to Star in a Star War I would hand over every social media account to people I pay to post the most anodyne poo poo about how much I enjoy being in a Star war and be happier for it.

You could be a Loth-Jorts

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Exactly the same. It's his little tantrums that really drive it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Owlbear Camus posted:

The fight choreography when he crosses blades with Mando really sells how he's just a pathetic dork. But pathetic dorks with the fawning attention of neofascist holdouts is a pretty topical villain and they can still be dangerous.

I like how he's kinda Aspie Coded and infodumps the heroes about his special interest of squad support weapons in his first appearance.

speaking of fascism we're trying to get rid of calling it that because he was literally rounding up autistic people for the Nazis