Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Does anyone think Bryce Dallas Howard is a weird choice, given her CV? I'd have expected someone more like Michelle MacLaren or Lesli Linka Glatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Maybe it's just that I like the art style a lot lot more, but I'm enjoying Resistance a lot more than Rebels.

Oh, and no Force talk.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Kanine posted:

i figure because it's cel shaded, the textures dont need to be painted in a lot of detail compared to the style of clone wars or rebels, most of the character work is just modelling/rigging.

Yeah, I figure it's effective at getting more stuff on screen, but I find myself having to look away from their faces sometimes. The lack of gradient can look weird on their cheeks and foreheads, so it can look like they're not moving. And there are other bits of weirdness too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

Either that or Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman. Just glad that there's a way they can come back for another round.

I will LOL really hard if every single episode of the next season is a sequel to an episode from this season. They absolutely could do that and it'd be completely amazing and bonkers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

There's something serious wrong with the shot composition or direction in this episode. It constantly feels like characters are entering from off-stage in a play rather than having a real sense of space or geography even in the same scene.

Yeah, 100%

Can someone with the magic power of .gif capture the scene where Obi Wan and Vader and having a face off, and Obi Wan runs off the right side of the screen to hide behind a hill, and then the scene transitions off Vader's face so we have Obi Wan running back in from the right side? It looks like he just ran behind a hill and then ran back out again.

That poo poo is hilarious, and 100% would loop really, really well.

Just some loving incompetent film making, my god.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
edit: nm

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 1, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

teagone posted:

I don't think they were. I thought the choreography/action design was super boring and generic. Smoke and fire? Bad guy posturing? It all felt so very rote and boilerplate. Couple all that crap with a distinct lack of visual flair and that's just no bueno for me.

I suspect choreography isn't actually coming from the stunt people, it's coming from pre-vis. The stunt co-ordinators are just doing what they're told.

Some of the blocking is genuinely amateur hour poo poo though -- like, failing day one of film school bad. And I know people exaggerate a lot on the internet but in this case it's just true.

e.g.

https://i.imgur.com/PCncRRL.mp4

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I went ahead and looked at the editors because I was curious and the garbage dude directed episodes 1 and 3, so that explains that. The BB/BCS editor did the second episode though, which was better but still had weird poo poo like Ben teleporting off the roof without any closure to the gunfight he was in ten seconds prior.

I have no idea :shrug:

I've said this before, but it's down to either the pre-vis people being incompetent and/or aggressive restrictions on what and how the directors can film scenes.

A lot of Marvel directors aren't allowed to direct their action scenes e.g. all the action in Balck Widow was actually directed by the pre vis team (putting the lie to the film being the first Marvel film with a sole female director).

This isn't the only Disney plus show with garbage action either; Loki, Moon Knight, Boba Fett... there's been a lot of really badly made stuff.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 2, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If you want to see a Marvel show that does a lot with very, very little, it's worth checking out some of the fights from mid series Agents of SHIELD. Very impressive for a show that had an increasingly shrinking budget, particularly once their main stunt actor, Ming Na, damaged herself really badly doing a flip and everyone else had to learn to compensate. The blocking is fairly typical of network television, though in episodes directed by Kevin Tancheroen in particular the choreo and camerawork is way above what you'd typically expect.

Daredevil has some impressive stunt fights, particularly in the show's first season (though, uh, definitely not the finale). This does become less frequent as the show goes on.

By far TV's best stunt and fight work comes from Cinemax though -- Banshee, Strike Back, Warrior -- or Starz -- Black Sails, Spartacus. There's also some very good looking stuff on See, over on Apple, and in Preacher's first two seasons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkvoNhhqt_g

As for general cinematography, no one is out here trying to be Star Wars except Star Wars, even shows with comparative budgets. The series has its own look. But it's worth pointing out that the editing and blocking on all Disney+ MCU and Star Wars shows is often quite bad -- there's that .gif I posted earlier in the thread if you're looking for a specific example of a combination of a combination of both if you want an example. You could compare it to some of the storyboarding over on The Clone Wars cartoon, which has some fairly decent war sequences. (Though in terms of raw choreo they're not really comparable to something like what Legend Of Korra was doing at the same time.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
kathleen kennedy made jar jar and also sand

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, Disney isn't interested in combating racism, homophobia, etc. They're interested in exploiting minorities.

If it's profitable for them to throw a minority under the bus, they'll absolutely do it. And have, frequently.

Any argument they make about love being love, or Star Wars opposing racism or whatever, is a cynical marketing ploy designed to separate useful idiots from their money, and needs to be considered through this lens.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

On the other hand they have a transgender employee working for them and shopped a trans flag into one of their Harry Potter CGI skits so being in a rush to condemn them as chuds because you don't like some of their opinions and interests is stupid imo.

I don't have skin in the game either way here, but surely just because they pass the minimum bar for human decency in some departments doesn't mean they pass the bar overall?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wait, Natalie Holt is the composer for this?? Her work on Loki was insanely good, like the Loki Green Theme is one of the strongest musical pieces in the whole MCU. Come on Lucasfilm, let the woman do what she does without any stupid restrictions.

I noticed that a lot of the music in the siege sequences was a remix of the Vader theme, which begs the question of why they didn't just fork out the rights to that music.

It honestly worked for me, as raw score, once I stopped being annoyed by the similarities.

I wonder if she's being directed to take a certain approach that's resulting in a less effective affect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, caught up. You're gonna call me a moron(!), and a fool(!!!) but this episode, the seventh, was the first one that totally "worked" for me as a whole episode. But it really worked for me, and it took all the poo poo I really like about the show and shoved it in the one episode.

I've been calling Denise Gough's character "Lady Fartface" but she's really good in this. Absolutely steals the show.

Captain Splendid posted:

I could immediately tell the person she was meeting was Vel, and recognised Mon Mothma's husband from a show that hasn't aired in 20 years.

Bro, Alistair Mckenzie was a loving hunk. Monarch of the Glen was a big sexual awakening for me ngl.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Jesus Livid, it's not edgy or an act of superiority to think part (or all) of a film sucked, even if other people liked it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Jesus Christ, take the W will ya'?!

The cynicism is that we really fuckin' needed somethin' to bring people together to experience something positive together that year and being in a theater full of cheering people all escaping together in the exact same way was an incredibly beautiful moment in time and needlessly making GBS threads on it to announce how much better you are than everybody else for not giving a poo poo harder than them is absolutely something I've encountered past my limit with that poo poo.

Hey, no, totally. I get where you're coming from. Life can really suck.

I don't think that's quite what was happening here, but nah, I get it. Sorry you're having a rough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought there was no residuals off streaming which is why there was a strike?

My understanding is that there's significantly (by several orders of magnitude) less money paid for writers based on streaming residuals, not that they get paid nothing. And actors and other above the line members also get paid (and they get paid more because they have a better deal? This is where my knowledge breaks down.)