Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Sheev is my utmost unironic problematic fave and the idea that he would be somehow manipulating events from beyond the grave is a magnificently ambitious idea that might possibly have worked in a story that wasn't cobbled together from fart residue.

I definitely remember watching the trailer for TRoS and being really excited that we wouldn't have to continue trying to pretend that Kylo Ren is a remotely interesting villain. This was, of course, before the actual movie made Palp into an even bigger mess of unexplainable nonsense than Ren, which was almost impressive.

https://twitter.com/elijahwood/status/1229632586760081409

It really just goes to show the common idiom that there are few truly bad ideas, just lots of bad execution.

Lol at Frodo being surprised.
Exegol didn't really seem inhabitable to me...like at all. From what we see it's a barren, grey and dark planet surrounded by storm clouds.

I'm going through Mandalorian for the first time. I'm currently at episode 6. It's been an enjoyable romp so far even if it's oddly aimless.
It somehow reminds me a little of the old Xena/Hercules series I used to watch. Just a "hero" going from town/planet to town/planet and "solving" the problems there while toting around someone who depends on the "hero".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sash! posted:

Is it really that odd that the ability to manipulate an energy field generated by all living things to have a biological component?

No

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Just finished the first season of the Mandalorian.
It was a fine first season. I'd say the final episode was oddly the worst episode.
The show also suffers (though decidedly less then most recent Starwars) from the same "must show every good guy is a bad rear end and explain everything!" attitude. Like the scene with the Mandalorian smith defeating several storm troopers. Just, have her disappear and show up in a next season looking none the worse with some offhand remark that she escaped because she's a Mandalorian. Much stronger message and it allows the Storm Troopers to not look like chumps.

Also, please stop handing out Force heals to everyone Disney. That's dangerous.

I guess the thing I like best is just that it's a fairly low stakes adventure through the world. Looking forward to season 2.

Alas poor IG88, I will miss your practical babysitting.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

stev posted:

My favourite storm trooper chumping is Jedi Fallen Order. By hammering the block button when they're firing at you, you one shot most of them without even looking in their direction. Casually mow the fuckers down, then get killed by a spider.

I imagine that's how Australians feel.

Captain Splendid posted:

That episode actually aired a week before ROS, it set it up for the film

Interesting. The point still stands though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Everyone posted:

The Armorer wrecking those fools with forge tools will never not be awesome.

:hai: I never said it wasn’t.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Everyone posted:

I thought it just disappeared from the headlines because Vladamir Putin has decided to kick off WWIII.

That’s just what COVID wants you to think! :tinfoil:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, that first episode of the second season of Mandelorian is really great. :allears: (killing the Krayt dragon)

Also love that the Marshall was driving around on what looked like a pod racer engine.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
What are the odds of a kid Din Djarin showing up somewhere in Kenobi.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Probably not Din but you can bet your sweet rear end baby Yoda will be in there somehow/someway. :v:

He's totally going to visit Dagobah for a quick chat with Yoda.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Without having seen the Boba Fett show yet, I assume everything that’s wrong with it can be explained by assuming Disney doesn’t want cool “villains”. So Boba Fett won’t bomb everyone because that would be bad. He wants a criminal empire without crime, because that would be bad.
Thrawn isn’t just a smart space fascist, he’s also secretly working to save the universe from some vague threat.
You can’t have them be too evil.

thrawn527 posted:

...does it matter? He told Obi-Wan where he was going off screen before he left the ship at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Or they talked via the Force at some point. I literally couldn't care less when Yoda told Obi-Wan he was going to Dagobah specifically, considering we already saw him say he was going into exile. That's the important character moment. Speaking the location aloud does not matter.

We don't need to see everything.

That was the joke. Disney wants to explain everything.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

That was mostly the old EU that did that with Thrawn. There have been hints at that in the new EU, but it was part of the old EU that Thrawn, and Palpatine through him, was just trying to prepare the galaxy for the Yuuzhan Vong. So I wouldn't entirely blame Disney for this one.

Oh, my mistake. There are people who are really like this, so I have a hard time telling jokes from reality. Sorry.

I stand corrected then. I forgot they started that in the old eu. I only remembered reading somewhere that it’s been hinted at again in the new. I need to watch rebels sometime.

And no worries, that’s the internet for you.

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1502358956240420865

Boo :mad: Give me post-Order 66 bleakness you cowards.

Same. They can have it be super bleak and have the hope spot be Luke. That’s all they needed to do.

And as for my voyage through mandalorian season 2. episode 2 of season 2 of the Mandalorian (or the spiders and frogs episode) was absolutely fantastic. There’s no way it’s getting better from this point is it?
Seriously the jet pack flying away with the bandit, baby toad’s early Easter egg hunt, communication difficulties, space ship problems. I loved this episode so much.
I liked season 1 of the mandalorian, but these first 2 eps of season 2 we’re, for me, basically perfect. Exactly what I wanted.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Eh. In the interview linked, they make it seem more like Obi-Wan is the one who starts bleak, broken, and faithless, and becomes hopeful over the series. Which makes sense, transitioning him from the dark place of ROTS to being ready for the Hope Luke represents in ANH.

I’m not saying it’s good or will work. How could I, haven’t not seen it? But maybe there’s a bit of overreacting over a tweet about an interview when the show hasn’t even come out yet? The state of the Galaxy glimpsed in the trailer sure doesn’t seem happy go lucky.

Same. While I’m skeptical about Kathleen, it’s ridiculous to decry her over:
1: an unseen trashed script
2: the unseen end result

If it’s bad, then we can blame her.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
@mllaneza Thank you for spoilering. :)

Also, you guys do realize there's something between calling for blood and not criticizing at all?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

https://twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/1503818405173817345?s=21

https://twitter.com/grant_feely/status/1503822243859734528?s=21

This is cute.

Though, I feel like some subtext on Hamill’s tweet is, “Please just recast me. Stop with the CGI Luke. I’m begging you.”

Kid is set for life if all goes well.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

Character spoilers I'd worry more about kid Leia's actor getting the hate since a) a girl and b) has way more of a substantial role in the series than kid Luke reportedly

I don't think so? Or I don't hope so. If she's just a macGuffin, she's only going to draw ire from the feminists but not the man babies.
If she somehow saves the day while being a baby, or I don't know, lift an Xwing, then we'll get the man baby brigade.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

He’s gonna be a ManDeLorean :dadjoke:

New thread title?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

shades of eternity posted:

I just found this and want to subscribe to their newsletter.

Hmm, the Ewoks nearly beat the empire. So if the ewoks can beat the Predators then we can state that Ewoks > Predator=Empire

Seriously though, I would actually think they could be a cool addition.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finally got around to watching episode 3 (Or Grogu learns about the circle of life) and 4 (Or let's set the plot in motion) of season 2 of the Mandalorian.

Both episodes have been wonderful. For me either near or at the level of those first 2 episodes of this season.

Grogu eternally putting things in his mouth hasn't gotten old yet and having other things put Grogu in their mouths is a fun turn around. I especially like how at the end, with Grogu watching the baby frog, you can't help but wonder whether he's wondering when he's going to eat it or whether he actually likes it like an older brother.

The way the relationship between Grogu and Mando is developing is so nice to see. :kimchi: The red and blue wire discussion made me chuckle.
"No, I have enough pets." :unsmith:

Episode 4 meanwhile is more straightforward action and infiltration and I loved it. Though I did miss John Williams in the big chase sequence.
I loved the dumb shout outs to the lack or railings on the precariously placed generator controls.
I was kinda down on the way the Cara was introduced in season 1, but I've really grown to love her. I just love the sheer physicality she brings to this. She's not some skinny girl who can kick your rear end because magical martial arts. Nope, she's a loving tank who looks like she's going to kick rear end anytime she's on the screen. It's unfortunate that apparently she's been aborted or something? I'm kinda hazy on the details but apparently she said something dumb.

I'd say there's one thing that's starting to nag me though. It feels a little like it's pretending the galaxy is huge?
Mando keeps coming back to the same 3-5 people and 1-2 planets. It's not enough to stop me from enjoying it, but his search feels a little like asking the neighbours and then going back home when they didn't know anything.
Same with the X-Wing Pilot from episode 2 showing up at the end on the exact same planet to ask questions.

You know what brings me much more delight than it has any right of doing. It's those dumb red and white big push buttons everywhere. I have no idea why, but those big black consoles dotted with rows of bright red and white buttons just make me giddy. Maybe it's my inner child and how Starwars Empire those consoles look. Or maybe the satisfying click those things make. Or just the bright contrast, but it just makes me smile when I see another set of rows of very pushable looking buttons.

I hope I can watch the next episodes soon. Though I'm not exactly looking forward to meeting Ahsoka.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's a shame Cara's actress was dumb. :(

Not that I'm going to miss her that much, I just liked that we had a woman shock trooper who actually looks like a tank ready to gently caress poo poo up.
But Mandolorian did try very hard to make her seem bad rear end, since every time we're reintroduced to her she's shown to be kicking rear end in some random battle. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched the next episode of Mandelorian, Season 2 Ep 5 The Jedi. Or, kid has a name.
Where he meets Ahsoka and we finally learn Grogu has a name. I mean, I already knew the kid had a name thanks to coming late to the party. But it's still a cool moment and it's quite ballsy how long they kept that a secret. I kinda hope he keeps calling him kid in an affectionate manner.

That emotional core between Mando and Grogu is so sweet.
"What's that?"
"I keep it around for good luck."
They play nicely into the fact that Mando was always calling him kid.

You know, this is probably the first episode that to me feels like a some Asian Samurai movie instead of a Western. This despite having an actual quick draw showdown at the end.
Though, I do think this is the weakest episode for me thus far. Which has more to do with Ahsoka.
Like, how she absolutely decimates scores of troopers and immediately pressures Mando during their scuffle, yet when she encounters the Magistrate with a spear she actually loses a sword and seems to struggle? :psyduck: I'm sorry, but that's dumb.
But also "I can't train Grogu, he has connections."
"Now excuse me as I scour the universe for Thrawn and probably Ezra."

But hey, she name dropped Thrawn! That's one way to get my attention. I guess I really do have to have to watch her solo series.

Pretty funny, my wife once watched some Clone Wars with me and immediately identified Ahsoka. So that's cool.

Also, poor Yaddle gets no respect. Then again, I have no idea if she was still around during the clone wars. She was around during the Phantom Menace at least.

Still this been some excellent Starwars so far. :sigh: Only 3 episodes left.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

fartknocker posted:

Ahsoka was toying with the Magistrate by not using her normal fighting style for most of the fight. As soon as she goes to her normal reverse grip, she very easily ends it.

It felt more like she was probing. Trying to find out how good the other party was, when clearly this wasn't needed.
But why would she be toying with her? The whole goal was liberating the town.

I don't know, it just feels slightly clunky when it wasn't needed.

thrawn527 posted:

The hair stylist said she was told to make her look like a Night Sister, so it's more than just something she made up. But yeah, not exactly pure canon.

But she was also played by the goddaughter of Bruce Lee, and the daughter of two famous Hollywood stunt people. She got that Beskar spear from somewhere. And the simple fact that she can fight like we see her fight proves that she is better than the rest of the chumps and droids she had working for her. She's supposed to be legit. And Ahsoka didn't want to kill her, because she needed information about Thrawn out of her. So she was going somewhat easy on her at first (not killing her right away, like she did with everyone else she come up against the rest of the episode), until the Magistrate knocked away one of her lightsabers. At this, Ahoska put on her game face and stopped loving around, ending the fight quickly. But even then, Ahsoka clearly has respect for her as a fighter, giving a slight bow at first. The anatomy of the fight all makes perfect sense, to me.

This also gives me another excuse to post this again, which I think is goon made? I know I saw it here first, and I want to spread it to as many people as possible. It works so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeYUEMONPQ
The atmosphere was fantastic yeah, really contributed to the samurai movie feel they seemed to be gunning for.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

A bit of the Obi/Vader duel has leaked, so watch out if you're trying to stay spoiler-free

it's rad

But is there a master on a ladder? :derp:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yesterday I watched another episode of the Mandelorian. The Tragedy, or Grogu sits on a rock.

And I think I'll call this episode clunky. But I still greatly enjoyed it. It's just a bit...messy with how some things work. Like the stand off between Fennec/Boba and Mando.
Now put down your jetpack and we'll talk. Why the jetpack? Why not his gun? You put down your guns? Why doesn't Mando retrieve his backpack when poo poo hits the fan? It's easy enough to put on and take off and you'd think he'd like the extra mobility.
Well the end of the episode makes it clear, because the Dark Troopers would fly off and otherwise Mando could follow them. The thing is, they made Mando a one man, nearly indestructible, flying army with near perfect aim so they ran into the Superman problem here.
But also when the Razor Crest gets blown up. (pretty big holy poo poo moment, at this point that's like blowing up the Falcon) It's blown up good as we see at the end, there's literally nothing left near the crater. Yet he manages to find the tiny orb Grogu likes and obviously the Beskar spear is in the middle of the crater looking perfectly fine. I get why for everything, but it feels a little...perfunctory? Is that the word I'm looking for? Like it's going through the motions that you know are coming because they're so well established motions. Like Grogu dropping his force skype call shield the moment Mando leaves.
Same with the Boba and Fennec reveal. Yet, even knowing it was coming watching the Slave-1 fly in was still quite a moment. Same as when Fennec starts showing why she was so dangerous and even more so when Boba shows what he can do once suited up.
Grogu choking and throwing around Storm troopers somehow manages to give me the chills. Please don't fall to the dark side little one. :ohdear:

I do so love how Mando keeps trying to convince himself that he's totally going to bring Grogu to his kind. Which is now definitely the Jedi and no longer his species. They're such a sweet pair. Same with the kind of despair as he tries to take Grogu with him multiple times.

And, having played the original Dark Forces game back when it was new, seeing the Dark Troopers gave me the tingles. I hope they don't disappoint me when they have to engage into battle.
All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed what I got. Battles! Fan service!
2 episodes to go. :smith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Finished Mandelorian yesterday.
Or is that Mandadlorian?
That second to last episode (with the explosives) was really good, honestly hit a lot of the same notes for me as the first few episodes did. Just a fun adventure and some interesting exploration on the side of the Empire.

And then the final episode.
The Dark Troopers didn't disappoint, though I did miss the old plasma caster gun they used in the Dark Forces games. :allears: I hope this isn't the last we see of them.
Luke didn't disappoint. :allears: And honestly, I found him easier on the eyes than Leia and Tarkin were in Rogue One. Not sure why.
His journey through the Dark Troopers actually feels a bit like an echo to Darth Vader's Rogue One ending scene. Though it's somehow portrayed pretty dark?
Just not much to say, these 2 episodes have been great. Cool action, some good emotional beats between Mando and the child. Everyone who's evil is a proper jerk.
Mandelorian was all round just a fun little series, just space adventures. And that's all I wanted. :unsmith:

I also can't help but enjoy middle aged not quite fit Boba Fett. :allears:

That post credits scene with Boba Fett looks promising. Guess I will look at the Book next, even if it's apparently not that great. :shrug:
Bib Fattuna

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nash posted:

I was pretty meh’ on BoBF when I first watched it. Ok, but nothing super amazing. It just didn’t feel as tight a show as Mando if that makes any sense.

My kids however loved it. My nine year old daughter and six year old son still walk around the house loudly singing the theme song. My daughter paints pictures of Boba Fett and uses him any time we play Star Wars Legion.

It made me start to see it a bit differently. When I was their age I was totally ate up with Star Wars. Lasers! Monsters! Space wizards!!! Honestly I think they kinda see it the same way I saw the original trilogy back in the day. Fun space adventures that you didn’t have to think too hard about.

They had even seen all the movies and cartoon series before we watched Boba Fett. For some reason it is the one that has stuck with them the most.

Disney wants all of the leads/cool characters to be super heroes. :shrug:

I’m definitely going to watch Book of Boba Fett. And it just being dumb space adventures I’d be okay with that. Dumb space adventures were generally the best episodes of Mandalorian.
I already know he’s not going to be an actual crime lord…unfortunately. But I don’t know any other spoilers….which probably also says something about the bobf.

Vinylshadow posted:

That’s already passed buddy. Young kids actually like the sequel movies and that was like 7 years ago.

Stop being so cruel. :qq:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Generational Star War torch-passing talk:

Watching with my then 6 year old I was stoked to get to the "No, I am your father" reveal in ESB.

What surprised me is my kid totally missed the dialogue because she was FREAKING OUT about Luke's hand.

"He got his hand cut off!" That was the Big Takeaway from the ESB climax for her.

To be fair, that is a pretty wtf moment.
Not a lot of movies that show the hero getting thoroughly owned with actual impact. I mean Iron Man and Spider-man get punted through walls all the time ending up with just a scratch. But Luke gets beat up and gets his hand chopped off. It's a big moment.

Reign of Fire is enjoyable dreck, it's obvious the people who made it cared and tried their best.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cage Kicker posted:

I always read Gideon as a big self important dork cosplaying Vader. His tiny command ship really sealed that in for me. Everything he did was to make himself look cool and menacing but he was really just a big “I was studying the blade” type nerd

Exactly this. As having just finished the series, Gideon is exactly what it needed. Some Moff who talks big, acts like he knows everything and his victory is inevitable when in actuality he's really a bit of a poser in his pretty black not quite Vader armor.
And I love the gravitas the actor gives him as well. He does honestly strike me as a guy capable of uniting a splinter group under him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Okay smart guy, so you want Yoda to fight without hopping around swinging a lightsaber?

Spreading peace through the galaxy, I will.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hazo posted:

edit: ^^^^^ yeah

What exactly are you gonna do with lightning you've called upon using hatred and aggression?

Turn on that :argh: lamp

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Didn't one of the Jedi Knight games also allow you force lightning even as a light sider?

Anyway, watched the first 2 eps for BoBF.
First episode was pretty cool and funny actually. That Sarlacc escape is pretty horrific and seeing the burnt out barge in the background is awesome. But the fight scene was pretty meh and emblematic of the whole Disney wants super heroes. Why didn't Boba just fly up instead of letting them poke him with electric sticks? Why did the experienced bounty hunter decide opening with a rocket against a shield in his face was the right call? Well, so he can combo with Fennec and turn it around. :shrug: Cool piece of parkour though.

There's also something very funny to me about how he walks around with 2 half naked fat pigs following him around. :allears:

Second episode was pretty boring to me. Though the train scene at least was cool. It just spends too much time with the Tuskens.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wanted to be a Good Boy in Jedi Academy, so I stuck with only the light side powers, and then came a level where you team up with Kyle Katarn, and he's zapping and choking all over the place.

But it comes from the goodness of his heart. :kimchi:

Arc Hammer posted:

Best part of Jedi Academy is that if you do a dark side run and use force disarm on Kyle he decides that it's time to punch you in the face.

Dude took down a Kell Dragon barehanded and you think your scrawny rear end scares him just because he's unarmed?

He even has 2 different beat downs and while he;s beating on you he's still yelling about how much of a disappointment you are.

I still don't get why Disney didn't just use Kyle Katarn for the Rogue One movie. Just slot him in place of Cassian. Done. Fans would be happy. You still have the amazing Jynn Erso. (I actually want Jan Ors back as well please. :( )

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hype get!

Seemlar posted:

I know the catastrophic failure of Solo spooked them hard out of doing side stories but watching the trailer I could not shake the sense of "wait, why isn't this a movie?"

I would normally agree, but if this means we get more breathing time then I’m okay with this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I watched episode 3 and 4 of Boba Fett. I've been enjoying it somewhat, but decidedly less than the Mandolorian.
I think the main problem I have with it, is that I for some reason can't quite care?
I wouldn't call it bad so far, but it's just kinda...plodding along? His goal is just this nebulous "I want Jabba's throne...because life sucks. And now I have it but the mayor is missing, someone tried to kill me and Jabba's siblings are around. But let me just walk around aimlessly, continuously visit the casino whore house and flashback to my time with the Tuskens some more." Meanwhile he just sticks to mostly....I want to say 3-4 locales? Jabba's throne room, the Mayor's foyer, the Twi'lek casino and...I guess the desert or maybe the palace front door? The Mandolorian felt more open, more adventurous.
Though Boba bonding with the Rancor was great. :kimchi: We need more baby Rancor.

I'd say I'm also mildly annoyed that it feels more like the Book of Fennec Shand with oddly placed Boba flashbacks mixed in. If I'm watching a show about Boba Fett, supposedly the greatest bounty hunter ever, I want to see him either drive the plot or just be a badass. Instead he just spends most of his time getting beat up and resting in Bacta tanks while Fennec is running around being awesome. I think I want a Fennec show now please.

Though from the minute I've seen, apparently episode 5 is the part where we suddenly switch back to Din Djarin. :woop:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gonz posted:

I liked Jumper, too! Neat concept for a scifi action movie, messy execution. But it was cool.

Looking back at the prequels, Hayden IS Anakin Skywalker. I can’t imagine anyone else in the role. I think he’s gonna do a good job with Kenobi.

Holy poo poo! There’s 3 of us?!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

The disconnect in the Gallery where everyone's high energy and stoked for Book of Boba Fett feels so weird with the episodes feeling so slow

Temuera's 2000% more animated behind the scenes whereas on screen he's almost a glacier that triggers an avalanche maybe once an hour per total run time

I have to add to my post though that Temuera is really great. Honestly, when he's on screen talking to any not Tuskens I do feel like I want to keep watching him. He just has a certain tranquil charisma with a nice speaking voice.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hazo posted:

Apparently this came out four days ago but I'm just now hearing about it myself and didn't see it mentioned. We have a name for the Third Sister and the neon planet in the Obi-Wan series. Spoilers I guess if you want to go in totally blind:

I was wondering what super special character was going to be introduced. Going to tbet that she isn't fully evil or something.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Madurai posted:

So, it's a Fallen Order rehash? I mean, that was cinematic as poo poo and all, but I have to figure a substantial percentage of the potential audience has either played it or knows the story.

It’s also partially the story of the battlefield game. I think, I never completed it.

I finished boba Fett.

Those last 3 episodes are actually better, though Cad Bane is such a weird addition. I barely know him since I only watched the first…2seasons of clone wars?.
And how about we keep in mind how badly beat up krrrsantan was? Instead of sometimes needing him to be carried and sometimes him running around. Was that Vanth in the bacta at the end?
People die during war Disney, on both sides. It’s okay to let someone die.
Those Mandadlorian scenes were so sweet. I’m amazed how much he emotes despite his hidden face.
The bright color scooter gang is so hilariously dumb.
In general, I enjoyed it well enough but it’s so slow and honestly didn’t give me what I was there for. I came for Boba Fett being a bounty hunter or being awesome, I didn’t get bounty hunting (or crime) and his awesome scenes weren’t there enough. Not to mention every scene was countered by needing Fennec for literally everything. Planning, chasing down assassins, catching run away droids, negotiations, you name it.

But I do kinda want a Fennec or Scooter gang adventure next. Just something short and cool (Fennec) or short and dumb (scooter gang)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

stev posted:

Sheev gives Anakin a Dutch name but as far as I know there's no Netherlands in the galaxy far, far away.

It's simple really. It's a long time ago, the Sith later settled on Earth and became the Dutch.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

the more I think about the Boba Fett show the less I like it and the direction it took with the character.

I wanted Boba Fett: Badass Bounty Hunter taking down dangerous targets for the highest bidder. Like that’s how the Legends stories handled it, he gets out of the Sarlacc and gets back to work.

Instead he spends half a decade “finding himself” with the sand people and decides to essentially go straight for the benefit of a city he has had literally no prior connection to whatsoever.

The show turned him into some nobody that the other characters had barely heard of or gave a poo poo about, in the old Legends stuff people full on feared his name and his armor and what he was capable of, when you learned Boba Fett was on your rear end you knew you had a problem and when you saw his armor you knew it was Serious Business. Like, in the Empire Strikes Back, Darth loving Vader himself singles him out and tells him not to disintegrate people, and later in the movie Boba Fett makes demands to the same Darth Vader and he just takes it.

Boba Fett, a character who initially became popular before the movie even came out because his armor looked loving rad as hell, a character people thought was cool just because he looked cool, couldn’t keep his helmet on for more than 5 minutes at a time in the show. A character literally known for his helmet, couldn’t keep the helmet on. There’s a bit in one of the Legends comics where Dengar asks Boba Fett why he doesn’t show his face, and Fett just turns to him and points to the helmet and says “this IS my face”. It perfectly encapsulated how different Boba was from his father - Jango had nuance and humanity and was able to take the helmet off and be a father, Boba was single-minded about the job and his reputation 100% around the clock, no exceptions.

When the post-credits stinger for Mando season 2 announced the Boba Fett show I was pretty hyped because I figured it would be Boba Fett, suited up and kicking rear end, especially after what we saw of him in Mando season 2.

Nope.

And then when the show establishes that he wants to be a crime lord I was like “oh poo poo, crime syndicates, Black Sun, Crimson Dawn, Xizor, Qi’ra, here we go”.

Nope.

And then Krrsantan shows up and I’m like, “oh poo poo, known associate of Doctor Aphra, here we go”.

Nope.

Sidelining the title character for a full third of the season was stupid. It’s not even that the Mando stuff was bad, it just shouldn’t have derailed the Boba Fett show. That show needed all of the Boba it could get to keep my interest, removing him entirely just shows a lack of confidence in the character.

I absolutely do not care that the Boba Fett show apparently started life as Mando season 3 and then they reworked it, if they were going to make a Boba Fett show about Boba Fett then they should have committed to it and saved the Mando stuff for his show. This would be like if Captain America: The Winter Soldier had had Captain America vanish for 45 straight minutes while the plot sidetracks to some unrelated Thor adventure or something.

What a waste of a cool character. Whatever, I’ll just go re-read my old Boba Fett comics or something.

Anyway, I’ll have a #3, to go, with large fries and a Sprite.

Yep, Boba is a wimp now. But think of all the cool new character we're introduced to via him being a wimp. Tusken warrior lady, Fennec Shand and Scooby biker gang.

I didn't even know Krrsantan before this. :shrug: His appareance meant nothing other than a cool Wookie kicking rear end.

In the Starwars Jedi Academy game you also encounter Boba Fett and he's a pain to fight thanks to flying, rockets and his flamethrowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Its part of how good the OT is that Jedi introduces this never before seen Jane Exposition leader of the rebellion for 30 seconds to explain the plot and who is never seen again and yet it doesn't matter to anyone.

The OT is a story about a small group of people in a very big world and it works.

Before I knew who Mon Mothma was, I kept wondering why this charismatic old lady was doing the exposition and not Leia who we had seen take command back in Empire Strikes Back. :shrug: