Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

AndyElusive posted:

God I hope so, whoever she plays. I flipping love Gina Carano.

She's not the best actor but she was awesome as hell in Haywire and she can always improve and she's also a legit bad rear end.

Having Gina be a Mandalorian is the best actually, let her look pretty and never say poo poo and do cool stunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The direction in that short is better than the real deal.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The final episode drops on May 4

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

Mando, Ahsoka, Boba, Rangers are setting for something big, according to Filoni and Favreau.

Obi's and Andor definitely wouldn't, unless there are new or known characters in those shows that will be part of whatever they have planned.

Marvel’s Star Wars Avengers

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Space Miami was pretty sick at the end, and I’m gonna need the synthwave track for my ringtone.

Defund the shoretroopers

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

teagone posted:

So Luthen's gonna organize a prison break now, yeah?

I’d like to think Luther is going to organize a hit on Andor, but somehow he’s gonna rally a new rebel cell from where he’s at now and Luther will need to recruit them all

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

I tried to watch the movies, starting with Phantom Menace then Attack of the Clones. The acting, cinematography, CGI is pretty abysmal. Was this the general sentiment at the time too? Or did people then (and today?) think otherwise.

I ended up watching 5-minute YouTube summaries for Episodes I-V.

In sure there’s some nostalgia for the series, but I certainly hope people are more into the underlying storyline than the cheesiness which are Ep. I-V.

I’m really enjoying Andor but is that where the good stuff ends?

A lot of Star Wars fandom was pretty anti-prequel in the 2000’s, what’s different now is that the children who grew up on those films are now adults who have youtube channels extolling the virtues of the prequels and the cartoons.

Especially if you haven’t grown up on these movies, it is possible that Andor is about the only Star Wars thing you will like. There’s definitely nothing else thats a match for the writing, acting, and directing of Andor.

I wouldn’t necessarily think you would enjoy Rogue One, even though generally it’s well-liked by people. The story beats and the acting are played much more broadly than Andor and it definitely falls into the trap of nostalgia callbacks being there for the sake of being there.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Can someone explain in a sentence or two what existed pre-Empire, and how the Empire came to be up till the timeline of Andor?

There was a thousands of years old democratic galactic republic which got subverted into a fascist dictatorship in a decade, prompted by a war in which the chief executive was actually in control of both sides of the conflict.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This is prequels/Clone Wars brain rot at its finest.

I don’t love everything that Disney has produced, but like everything from 1999-whenever TFA came out was pretty poorly made and now there’s fans like Star Wars Theory that think a General Grievous show is a good idea and not something that would bomb terribly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

i say swears online posted:

where was the hint that mondaughter would ever go trad? I thought it was way too convenient to the betrothal plot

things seemed too telegraphed this episode

She basically rejects everything about her mom, who is basically like a progressive revolutionary disguised as a lib, she eschews the humanitarian aspects of her mothers work, doesn’t partake in high society. Her being a tradwife in training is the least surprising thing

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That definitely felt like a cliffhanger to the next chapter vs. the end of a season, but drat that funeral and how everyone came together was just great.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Okay so that explains Mon's limo conversation. Just info for her driver to pass along so it's not suspicious as to why she would marry off her daughter to a crimelord. I wonder how much her husband knows. I have to assume he's in on it too unless he just doesn't get a say in who his daughter it married to.

Maarva's message for Cassian :unsmith: And for everyone else at her funeral :black101:

Cinta got to blap someone!

:patriot:

I bet Mon convinces her husband that they have to marry their daughter off to cover for his gambling.

Lol their relationship is so hosed up.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I hope with the return of Bob Iger that maybe Disney just tosses a bunch of money so this show can release by the end of 2023 instead of 2024.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think the real questions is if any of her family survive the end of season 2. I could easily see the Empire declaring Mon a criminal with deep mob ties and then just sends goons to red wedding the whole lot.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don’t give a poo poo about aliens especially when it comes to telling this story. Star Wars isn’t about aliens. They’re part of the setting and there are even important alien characters, but the core of Star Wars has always been about a very ordinary person doing incredible things in a crazy sci-if setting.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess I find it irksome because to me, the rest of star wars has shown that aliens are very ordinary people. They should be part of this gathering mass movement of solidarity, and in fact in other star wars media simply are in a very matter of fact way that I think is cool. In a show that otherwise gets that stuff so right, I dunno, it stings a bit

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using aliens in Star Wars as proxies for marginalized people which generally would be a correct take on how they're used in SOME Star Wars which is mostly a series featuring white upper class characters. However Andor is specifically saying here are these marginalized and oppressed indigenous people rising up against the creeping overreach of a fascist white supremacist regime, we don't need a proxy because the show is outwardly showing you this regime crushing all these different cultures.

Or, since the other poster quoted Gilroy himself,

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, Tony said in an interview that it's something he didn't feel ready to address in season 1.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/andor-tony-gilroy-talks-luthen-rael-monologue-easter-eggs-1235258961/

quote:

There’s already so much politics in the show to begin with, and we’re trying to tell an adventure story, really. So adding strong alien characters means that all of a sudden, there’s a whole bunch of new issues that we have to deal with that I don’t really understand that well or I just couldn’t think of a way to bake them into what we’re doing. You’ll see more as we go along, but it’s a legit question and one we’ll be answering as we go along. There is a more human-centric side of the story and the politics of it. There’s certainly no aliens working for the Empire, so that kind of tips it one way, automatically.

I also really appreciate that this white lib director has a great sense of telling this story about the rise of a working-class rebellion, but is shying away from messaging about the racial/ethnic/cultural component of it when he probably DOESN'T have a great grasp of telling that story. It shows to me he knows what he and his crew are great at and not trying to force messaging that they can't deliver.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

Idk, Cinta doesn’t seem at all interested anymore.

For real though I can identify a lot with Cinta in her relationship dynamic with Vel. She loves Vel, that last scene they had together shows it, but she’s also like, “ok I love you can we now just save the loving galaxy? ISB ain’t gonna shank themselves.”

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

drunkill posted:

blap blap

This is what Trump warned us about when he warned us about antifa super soldiers

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I know this is Andor’s story, but what are the chances we see Jyn Erso in whatever misadventure gets her locked up at the start of Rogue One?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Elentor posted:

This isn't a pet peeve, just something I've already made peace with, but the scale of the SW universe routinely confuses me. There's a board for the entire empire seemingly and they're concerned with two officers killed somewhere. Isn't there a shitload of Planets in the Star Wars universe, like I can't imagine 20 people possibly caring about crimes happening on individual sectors.

Also 80m credits seems like amazing but considering Andor who's a nobody was 12k in debt I feel like 80m credits is supposed roughly to be like 80m USD, and Mon Mothma extremely worried about an amount that is effectively twice as much as Andor was paid for a one time job feels off-putting. Shouldn't the rebellion be costing trillions of credits to run and -

Edit: I googled it because I'm an unbelievable nerd and an ISD costs about 150m credits. This is incredibly cost-efficient compared to our ship costs I guess.

I'm too self-conscious of how much of a nerd I'm being right now to continue but yeah

Martha Stewart was convicted and went to jail for profiting around $250k in an insider trading scandal, and she wasn’t a political figure and she also doesn’t live in a fascist dictatorship.

Any kind of observed criminality would bring the full weight of the surveillance state on Mon Mothma, that’s why she’s trying to plug that 400k debt ASAP, it’s not the amount it’s all the questions that missing that kind of money invites.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Where does the 150m figure for a Star Destroyer come from anyways? Sounds like some poo poo that came from a book and while I *guess* those are canon until some director or writer for live action decides to write something else, I find that number just not in scale with the few things we know the cost of.

I assert that Gilroy, in making Andor, is pretty clearly using numbers that a 2022 western viewer would be familiar with, so it’s probably analogous to US dollars in the 2020’s.

The US Navy’s newest super carrier, the Gerald R. Ford cost 13 billion dollars. I’d buy Vader’s TIE fighter costing 150 million, not a Star Destroyer.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I hate this Kleya theory Andor is a brown person and they cast brown people to portray the Kenari kids

Like come on man

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

I thought his Suicide Squad sequel lost money

This is on the old AT&T management that put all the Warner releases in 2021 as day and date on HBO, which cost many films at the box office.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Pretty sure they hinted heavily that it's going to be Raygun Givens now, which is a hell of an upgrade in lead actor charisma so kind of fortuitous to the discerning viewer that she decided to go full twitter Nazi.

I can’t believe they were going to have Gina Carano as a lead for anything. Didn’t anyone watch Haywire, where they had to dub over all of her lines?

Timothy Olyphant as a lead on the other hand is loving awesome.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Did they really? I never saw it, but I heard it was pretty good. Like, I heard she wasn't very good, but alright for a first effort.

Then I saw her in whatever F&F movie she was in, and realized she was terrible. THEN I saw Rhonda Rousey in whatever F&F movie SHE was in, and Carano seemed like the Laurence Olivier of MMA actors in comparison. (Rousey is so loving bad at acting, holy poo poo.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw1L4wivxB8

I think the first line she says in the movie is the only line they didn’t dub over.

And yeah, Gina Carano has 10x more charisma than Ronda Rousey

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Definitely not, Karn doesn't strike me as someone who would want to date a person that isn't conservative.

Karn is the “fiscally conservative but socially liberal” who votes for the MAGA candidate every time, he’s also the guy who stans for Jordan Peterson

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Had I not watched Andor I think I would be very excited for Mando season 3. I’m still looking forward to it but am setting low expectations for the writing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Moose King posted:

It's sad, the WWII fighter pilot in space stuff is my favorite facet of Star Wars. It was the Star Wars movie I've been looking forward to most since either Rogue One or TLJ, but honestly it getting officially cancelled isn't super surprising. I think they just sat on the movie for too long and the obvious plot they'd go to for a sequel era Rogue Squadron movie got yoinked out from under them by Top Gun Maverick.

Maverick Wedge has to come out of retirement to train a new batch of young hotshot pilots and he ends up flying an old F-14 T-65 X-Wing in a high-stakes mission against newer, technologically superior Su-57s First Order TIE Interceptors or something. RIP my dream spaceship pew pew movie

Honestly just give me Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick exactly, but Star Wars

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

drat, that episode was so good.

Disney needs to let their episodes run as long as the last Mandalorian episode did - at around 55 minutes before credits, this felt like a real TV episode.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't think you should think too hard about any star wars movies because george definitely didn't and the disney era lucasfilm picked up the mantle of writing poo poo that doesn't hold up to even cursory inspection

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

So…

We’re just that much closer to a Darth Jar Jar, aren’t we?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Arc Light posted:

Oh that's super cool, then. Glad she's enjoying it, and yeah, she does a great job emoting without being able to display expressions.

Back when S1 was airing, I recall a different article about Pedro Pascal's body doubles where they were basically the ones doing any scene with the helmet on. Which, being S1, was pretty much all of them except for the big reveal scene.

I’m pretty sure it’s still this way. Pascal doesn’t have that kind of walking swagger that Brendan Wayne does.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFS760Vkk8

Comparison video of that fan edit, that the maker themself posted.

It's weird, because usually I hate fan edits for taking something I like and loving them up. But here they took something kinda lovely...and hosed it up worse? "Look! Now someone throws a lightsaber!" Okay? "Look! Now Vader is watching something on his throne, instead of silently brooding!" He's supposed to be silently brooding. Kenobi didn't get much right, but Vader's castle monument to anger and depression was spot on. "Look! The Grand Inquisitor's face is skinny now!" I do not care about this.

That trailer just looks like a whole bunch of added fan service

I don’t think you could improve Kenobi unless you got all the source material and somehow edited this into a 2 hour movie, and given how the show was written I don’t think it’s possible even with all the source footage

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

OR, The Armorer is doing something sneaky because she feels like Bo-Katan is compromising *her* authority and hold over the covert.

This show isn’t that smart, mostly if someone is being duplicitous like Katy O’Brians character they’re going to hit you over the head with it

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

House of the Dragon does not end well for Rhaenyra and if Din Djarin is an analog for, well, any male character on that show it’s still also not very good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I haven't seen the new epidsode yet, but I kinda like how awkward the all of the darksaber scenes have been so far. Really sells how impractical an infinity-edged weapon is without precognitive abilities/the ability to brace the blade with the Force.

Only awkward for Mando. Everyone else who we’ve seen use it in live action has had zero issues.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I’m pretty sure that gun got vaporized along with the rest of the Razor Crest

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

this week's cameos caught me off guard

Yeah and they all happened one right after another, it took me out of the first 2 acts of this episode.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How many episodes are in this season? Seems like we’re coming up to the finale very soon and whatever they are building to is not very well set up at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My favorite thing about this episode is how clooooose the writer unintentionally comes to critiquing capitalism and the exploitation of labor and then backs way the gently caress off and makes Doc Browns motivation really dumb and nonsensical.

Meanwhile in Andor they are unapologetically anti fascist and anti authoritarian and don’t shy from delivering that messaging.