Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Totally empty calorie fan service.

Which is just about what I expected after the last season of Mandalorian. Decently executed stuff all things considered, but taking absolutely zero risks and doing absolutely nothing new or interesting. The writing is clunky but that's to be expected at this point. It's basically just McDonald's food—scientifically calculated to give you some of the good brain chemicals but leaving you hungry because there was no nutritional value.

Still, I can't deny that it knows how to hit the nostalgia buttons well most of the time. As a kid who adored RotJ the most and ate up Tales from Jabba's Palace, it was fun to see them playing in that world. But I rollllllllled my eyes at seeing the Lars homestead. I also continue to applaud the casting of comedy-nerd favorites, even if the scene with Dave had awful dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They retconned him into RotJ already

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Boba Fett being a badass was only ever in your headcanon, he's always been a bumbling dweeb on screen

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

I get this because yea, we never saw him do much in the original trilogy except I suppose successfully capture Han and a lot of him is fan generated. However I think he's canonically regarded as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. And while you could say the Mandalorian did in a way canonically make him a badass, I don't care if he's a badass, it can all just be undeserved reputation, I quite like that Din is probably better than him. But someone who willingly works for the Empire for decades(?), and has such a reputation could I think have been portrayed with a much harder, more darker tone. He shouldnt be Din in green armor 24 hours after the Sarlaac.

Canon isn't real

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

This feels like learning forbidden knowledge.

I clicked on the mysteries tag at the bottom, each one of those stories is great. I'd eat up a much longer series of that kind of thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Inside their cloaks, jawas look like wood.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was just waiting for Boba to shoot one of the hutt-bearers causing the whole thing to collapse

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If the whole season ends up being about restoring Tusken Raider rights I'll forgive any mediocrity.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Flash forward 15 years and the Tusken are no better off but every Toschi Station Dance Revue show starts off with a land acknowledgement at the insistence of Daimyo Fett.

While droids with restraining bolts and literal slaves shuffle around serving drinks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Is there a reason other than "They have power" that the Hutts are as feared as they are? It seems like they'd be super easy to kill and have someone a little more mobile/less conspicuous take their place.

Because they are mobsters who hail from planet mobster

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's this but I also hope there is a reveal that the Hutts are actually extremely dangerous and physically threatening if they decide to attack. I'm thinking Leto II. Lightning fast and basically unstoppable.

hell yeah for sure it was super rad when yoda bounced around and did flips and poo poo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If that's the case I just really wish we'd gotten more than half an episode where they were antagonistic to him.

AndyElusive posted:

Holy loving poo poo that rules.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I had that picture on my wall when I was 12, really iconic in my mind. I wish they'd been able to get the sunset in there, but just having a nod at all is enough to give my brain a modicum of fan service dopamine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When the first tv teaser for Star Wars came out I thought Chewbacca was a space werewolf :shobon:

It's true. Think about it: have you ever seen Han Solo and Chewbacca in the same room at the same time...?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

Boba seems really weak and seems to lose every single fight

If you're bummed now, just wait til you see Return of the Jedi!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Episode 1: 7.5/10

Episode 2: 10/10

Episode 3: 8.5/10

Imma go

1: 5/10
2: 4/10
3: 3.5/10

But then add one extra to each for nostalgia and one extra to each because I'm a sucker for silly sci-fi/fantasy stuff and there's not enough competition for it on TV.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

prequel trilogy boba is just a little kid - theres hardly any characterization there other than he got traumatized by the death of his father

They may be scooping the animated material where he's an angry devious fella. But I'm right there with you that "Boba Fett is a vicious capable badass" is fanfiction headcanon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It was also my favorite book of all time when I was 13.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't you hear? We're only allowed to post criticisms if we also provide a 1000 word essay on why the series is Good, Actually

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be pretty surprised if the next animated show announced wasn't a Young Jedi Knights or Jedi Academy riff. My higher brain says they should focus on moving forward in the universe and doing new, weird, thematically-interesting stuff. My lower brain would be so fuckin' jazzed (jizzed?) about a series that could be very-loosely based on my favorite YA series as a kid.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 16, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Star Wars fandom has been broken, stupid, and worthless since Disney announced the sale and it somehow got even worse after 1) they relegated the EU to Legends (because of course they did, why willingly limit the stories you can tell with your new IP?) and 2) after The Last Jedi came out and the internet decided it was somehow a massive soy boy gently caress you to old fans somehow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The ultimate Jawa spaceship design:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Trains are fine, but I want to see how weird the space bus gets. Speaking of, I really want a space trucker Star Wars show where space rednecks can hang out at space truckstops and fight off space bandits.

e: Also this was easily the best episode of Fett yet. Definitely funnier and looser and more lived-in. The bar fight finally made BK click with me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Giving Mando the most oldschool spaceship in the entire franchise is a terrific nod to his Radar Men from the Moon origins. That's someone really trying to channel Lucas' instincts well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're right. We need way more conversations covering the intricacies of the Mos Espa political system.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Max Rebo Band knew

It was a controlled demolition.

That's why Boba said that Bib betrayed him :tinfoil:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doronin posted:

However, I do hope that we're done with flashbacks because I would love to see the present-day plot finally move forward.

starwars.txt

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They're just stock fake plants from some prop warehouse.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rewatching some Clone Wars after this episode, it makes me wonder if this could be a peek into a larger live action show strategy where all of them have a much more organic relationship than just being spinoffs of each other. Clone Wars had such an incredible structure with its min-arcs serving the larger vision, and if the live-action shows were to each allow for self-contained one-off adventures where characters jump in and out of each others stories like characters do in Clone Wars arcs would be fantastic.

Unlikely since that's trying to extrapolate a lot from a little, but it would be a very cool way forward for these shows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Luke's robot massacre was the exact kind of pandering that I dislike about the post Disney star wars

it was fun but in an empty way

That entire episode was terrible. It only works as fan service. If you think about the scene from Mando's point of view it absolutely falls apart.

The most recent episode of Boba Fett was exactly what these shows would thrive by doing more of. Just a fun, tight, empty adventure in The Star Wars. I'm still hoping we eventually get something with a bit more depth, but I'm not holding my breath.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Are there schools in star wars? Like, if you aren't kidnapped by the Jedi/Empire/Mandalorians/ya ya, how do you learn anything? Sure everyone is illiterate but you still seem to need to know spoken languages, technical skills, maybe they want kids to know the arts or sciences

What do you think droids are for? That's why everyone knows how to talk to them! Stressed parents just sit their kids in front of droids all day and make them learn algebra though beeps, boops, whistles, and—if you've got a more expensive droid model—an occasional hologram.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wish the cool aunt was Amy Sedaris. Fennec is just such a blank slate to me. Much better than even-more-blank-slate Carano, of course, but as good as Ming-Na is, there's just nothing ti the character on the page.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Everyone posted:

Do it like Cliffhangers which I loved as a kid but got really pissed off about because I never got to see the end of two of the storylines.

Finally looked this up and gently caress me, where has this been my entire life? This is maybe my favorite concept for a TV show ever. And it looks like it's all on YouTube.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ashoka is there because some moron is trying to restart the Jedi order and she wants to keep a close eye on his progress to make sure he's not royally loving it up. Unfortunately she leaves slightly too early to accomplish that.

Luke's hypocrisy about attachments works for me here. Yes, attachments were the only thing that helped him save his own father and take down the Empire. Were he a perfect person (and a one-note character like the TLJ-haters seem to want) he would recognize that and leave the Jedi Order behind. He would create a new, more humane group of force users under a new name—one that Ashoka could join and help to guide without the baggage of the Jedi. Together they could let the past die.

But Luke is a Jedi, like his father before him. And despite everything he's been through he's still a naive idealist who wants to rebuild the Jedi order. Save it. Redeem it—like he redeemed his father. But tellingly, Ashoka confirms that he still refers to himself as "master" here. Luke, the son of a slave who got callously transferred from one master to another as a child, is still calling himself "master." The fact that the irony is lost on him is quite tragic.

He wants to do better. He wants to give Grogu the choice that Anakin never had. So he's not just repeating the exact same mistakes as the Jedi—by forcing him to make a choice he's making all new mistakes. And the fact that Ben is going to come along, be confronted with that same choice, and make the wrong one (because of his own attachment to the very person who is forcing him to make the choice!) is doubly tragic. No wonder he wants to kill old things.

Luke is trying to evolve, but he doesn't have a rulebook, a guiding hand, or a positive role model. Instead of trusting his own instincts and forging a new path, he's looking backward and leaning on nostalgia for a time that never existed. It's an extremely baby boomer thing to do, which fits perfectly in with Luke's character and where we know he ends up.

Luke has a long journey full of hard lessons ahead of him leading up to getting his own redemption in TLJ. Making Luke a perfect wise saint would be a massive mistake. I'm glad Filoni is trying for something a bit more complex, and it's what elevates this above fan fiction for me. It's really good long-form storytelling and it gives me hope that there may some day be more to these shows than just fanservice and empty calories.

Overall, solid episode, and one that reinforces my hope that these TV shows are being thought of as mini arcs in The Star Wars show ala arcs in The Clone Wars. If so I'd prefer it hew a little closer to TLW, though, because 3 episode arcs are way punchier than 8 episode arcs. And way less of a disappointment if they're as lame as Boba's.

I paused it once Mando got back into his spaceship and forgot about it for a while because I'm so uninterested in what's going on on Tattooine. That being said, when I picked it back up the rest of the episode was good fun. At this point these shows are total junk food, but they seem to be embracing that with all the straight "vibing" episodes. And there's nothing wrong with chowing down on some potato chips every once in a while.

But geez, Boba himself is such a boring dork. I hope none of the rest of the episodes center around him.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 2, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't wait to see Boba riding the rancor in the big finale, a thing he learned how to do off-screen while we were watching other stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Would love to do a franchise watch party with y'all.

On the condition that we include the Ewok movies, of course :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The CineD Discord has been doing watch parties on there for the whole pandemic, I'd think that's the easiest way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:hmmyes:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched part of the second one a few weeks back and it was way better than I remembered. Teenage me was no fun. Felt like it could have been the basis for a terrific TV show, if the main kid wasn't so young.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 8, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d kill for a Star War that just does a full western vibe without any extraneous force poo poo or galaxy-endangering stakes.

:same:

Mando is absolutely at its best when it hits this. The season 2 premiere is the best example, and the best episode of the show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What a terrible season of television.

Still, I had enough fun that I'm glad I watched it. Good moments scattered throughout, some great production design in places, and the Howard episodes were quite good. I very seriously doubt I'd watch another season of Book with the same people involved.

Really looking forward to a behind-the-scenes video, though. Shots of that rancor were good enough that I feel at least the head was a puppet. If not, hands off to the animators who made its movements resemble practical effects well. The effects overall were very good outside of a few shoddy shots here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If your sister was also the president of a brand new and chaotic government you could definitely get your own jet fighter. Hell, the other pilots are just space cops so really it's the equivalent of a cop car.

e: in light of the absolute hollowness of Book of Boba Fett, it's worth highlighting how good that choice was in Mando. Making former radical anti-establishment rebels immediately become the enforcers of the establishment is the only thematically interesting thing these shows have done yet. It's a perfect gap between the prequels's themes around the failures of neoliberalism and Last Jedi's themes around the failures of the baby boomer generation.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 10, 2022