Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Back in 2021, Pete Ward came to us saying we should pay whatever Miami wanted for a husky 18 year old first baseman named Blaze Jordan. After giving up a fortune in prospects, the Padres had what they hoped would be their first baseman for a generation. It didn't work out that way exactly - the Padres were out of money and couldn't extend him past his final arbitration year - but Pete was right about one thing: this kid was worth anything to get. 24 years after he came into the league, Big Blaze retired holding nearly every important hitting counting record in baseball. His list of career accomplishments makes him arguably the most successful pro athlete of all time: 16 time all star, 8 world series rings, 11 silver sluggers, 6 MVPs...1st all time in games played, runs, total bases, home runs, and RBIs...second in at bats and doubles, third in hits, and sixth in career WAR. He was also baseball's first billion dollar player, crossing $1bn in career earnings the year before he retired. After hanging them up, Blaze headed back to his cabin in rural Mississippi, where he runs a competitive barbeque team and coaches little league. He also plays adult recreational softball; the league had to implement a number of rules for competitive balance as Blaze would hit the ball into the parking lot every single at bat.

editor's note: I did not modify anything with his background numbers. I dug into it a bit and think he got two big "talent bumps" when he was in our minor league system in the early 2020s, which coupled with his very good durability and laid back, friendly (but very not-loyal) personality meant he was something close to a perfect specimen for this game. I'm not sure I can remember another in-game prospect that had a career this incredible. He was that durable despite the in-game injury setting being on "high".

His player page says he retired at 46 and his stats say he was 44 in his last season which means for some reason nobody signed him to at least DH coming off a season where he was still on pace for 20+ Dingers and had an OPS well over .800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

IcePhoenix posted:

His player page says he retired at 46 and his stats say he was 44 in his last season which means for some reason nobody signed him to at least DH coming off a season where he was still on pace for 20+ Dingers and had an OPS well over .800

In my heart he spent a couple of years in Japan because he was bored with MLB and also they offered him all the sushi he could eat (still love you Manny Ramirez).

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

manny in taiwan was some historic poo poo

gotta google a video up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ST42UpBwM

yeah this is the best home run call ever 'this ball is long gone just like the ex-girlfriend who will never return home run'

thanks for the harper update, and obviously all our dres

did your good work get them a decade of first places after you let it go to automatic or did you keep playing after the lp?

regardless, thanks very much, it was fun. has anybody made a last name team league happen in any form of baseball software?

also i found out that one of the first sports games known to be written was some random thing for a mainframe that used box score stats to create a simulation of the 1960something world series, i feel like with an awesome presentation on both computing and baseball history that could be a good thread. but i dont know how to pull it off

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

did your good work get them a decade of first places after you let it go to automatic or did you keep playing after the lp?

Good question - we resigned, and it was autopilot after that.

Another admin notes for posterity's sake: I made 3 back-end edits: early on, I accidentally included one of the super prospect pitchers (I think it was Quantrill) in a trade, so I un-did that; I changed our market from "large" to "average" after we got another bump up there, and; I retired Cube Catcher and made him a coach. Well, that and making Pete the greatest scout of all time.

• Locked thread