Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

About the Game

Out of the Park is almost certainly the most detailed and accurate sports management sim (NOT GAME) out there right now. It is made by baseball nerds, for baseball nerds, with all of the absurd detail level you'd expect from a team of computer programmers who love baseball. Note: if you love baseball, or management-style games, or both, you should give it a try.

In this thread base ball goons will manage a fake Major League Baseball team through the POWER OF DEMOCRACY. I'm envisioning this thread being like a town hall, and any idiot who wants to can chime in with his or her thoughts on how to do things. Baseball goons in general are smart and well informed about the sport, but actually managing a fake team, especially when a bunch of other people are trying to do the same thing, might be harder than we are all thinking. A couple of things to keep in mind:

- We'll vote on a team strategy, so try and keep suggested proposals in-line with what we're trying to do. It doesn't HAVE to be, but strategies are strategies for a reason.

- We are the GM, and only the GM. This means our job is to implement an overall team strategy, hire/fire the manager and coaches, and manage the roster and team finances. Team tactics, like lineups, pitching rotations and so on, are handled by the manager that we hire.

- The game is hard. The trading AI is difficult to the point of obnoxiousness, player performance can vary wildly, and INJURIES after INJURIES. In other words, it is just like real life.

How This Will Work

I'm planning to run the sim three days a week, running two months of the season each time. This means we'll finish roughly a season a week. I'll adjust this if necessary, but this seems about right to me. I will post image updates in this thread, plus upload all of the relevant game files for everyone to browse. League website is HERE: note, this is the leftovers from our OOTP be-a-player last year, feel free to browse things and get a feel for the game if you're not familiar with it already.

Anyone can participate! You all are the GM. All you need to do make a PROPOSAL on something that we should do with our team. If a couple of people support your PROPOSAL, I will do my best to make it happen in-game. To support or reject a PROPOSAL, just quote it, and vote aye or nay. If a PROPOSAL gets a net three votes, I'll try and make it happen.

PROPOSALS can be just about anything. The more specific you are, the more likely I'll be able to make it happen, but it doesn't have to be specific. Some example PROPOSALS:

- Trade for a two to three star LHP with at least a year of team control left
- Trade Lucas Duda for whatever we can get, because he sucks
- Trade Paulo Orlando for Mike Trout, because he is good
- Promote Heath Fillmyer from AAA, because he has to be better than Jason Hammel

...and so on

Some of these are easy to do, some are not so easy. If it gets the votes, I'll try and do it.

I will also occasionally call for VOTES. This is when the team requires a decision. Examples of VOTES include things like our team strategy, whether or not we retain a manager, coach or player, who we should target in trades or free agency, or what kind of player we should target in the draft. Example VOTE:

- Do we retain Ned Yost as manager?

nay

Miscellaneous Crap

Settings, for OOTP veterans:
- "high/realistic" injury setting
- Trading AI is "hard" and "favor prospects"
- Player development is standard, but aging is slowed to .750
- Standard MLB rules, but "league evolution" is on, so the league will change as time goes on
- Inflation at 2-4% per year

We'll start our tenure right at the end of the 2018 season.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The first thing we must decide is what team to we want to run?

Here are my six nominees, with an overview of each. Each team is very different, and provides a different set of challenges, which is why I picked them. Please provide your top two, in order.

Atlanta Braves

The Braves are loaded for a dynasty. They have the league's most electric young hitter, a potentially elite pair of middle infielders, one of the game's best prospect pipelines, loaded with big young arms, a superstar on a reasonable contract, and good depth everywhere in the organization. They weren't supposed to be this good this fast, but here we are. They have a big market, and a lot of both money and payroll space, but kind of an rear end in a top hat owner.

Los Angeles Angels

The Angels are at a crossroads. Everything about the team is bad, except for that which is wonderful: they have two elite young players, including the game's best player. However, he's a free agent shortly. So...do we go all in around him, or do we send him off for a kings' ransom? They're in a big market, and have a lot of money, but a lot of it is tied up in the game's biggest, fattest anchor. Their farm system is bare, and their roster is just...bad.

Los Angeles Dodgers

The Dodgers are basically baseball on easy mode. They have a good, deep lineup, a good rotation, a great farm system, more money than they know what to do with...so, why can't they win a series? Can we help them get over the hump?

Miami Marlins

Everything the Dodgers are, the Marlins ain't. They have no good players, no money, no good prospects, a bad owner, a lovely stadium, and a small market. They traded away the game's best outfield for peanuts, and have nothing good going on anywhere. This is a very serious challenge.

Milwaukee Brewers
The Brewers are another team at a crossroads. They're a good team, with a bunch of good-to-very-good players. They are going to contend for at least another year or two, but after that, will face an aging, expensive roster, a lovely farm system, and a relatively small market. Do we prop the door open for another couple of years, or blow it up and start from scratch?

San Diego Padres

The Padres are like the Marlins in a lot of ways. They suck, they have no money, no fans, a small market, and a poo poo owner. What they DO have is the best pipeline in baseball. It is deep, diverse, and very exciting. Can we win a series with this young guns, despite having no money? Can we build up a fanbase in a city that has never really had one?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 4, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I vote for:

1) Angels because oh my god we could definitely put together a better team around Trout and Ohtani
2) Padres because let's build something out of nothing

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I vote for:

1) Angels because oh my god we could definitely put together a better team around Trout and Ohtani

These are my votes too (and because honestly I think there is real talent in SD.)

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

1) Marlins

2) Padres

Question is Jeter the owner of the Marlins?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

1) Braves legally required to vote for the braves as a braves fan btw
2) Padres are the next most fun option because they have so many prospects to hug

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
1) Padres
2) Braves

I very much value a good farm system in my OOTP games.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
1) Padres
2) Angels

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
1. Brewers - glove logo
2. Padres - never won a World Series

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carlosologist posted:

I vote for:

Samesies. Added bonus of seeing people come up I saw when they were knee-high to a grasshopper in Fort Wayne. (lol just kidding most of those people got traded TREA TURNER)

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bacarruda posted:

1) Padres
2) Angels

This

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
1. Angels - There has to be a way to build a good team around Trout and Ohtani. Can the collective find it? Let's find out!
2. Padres - I have no idea how one would go about making the Padres good but I'm game to try.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
In on the 1 Padres 2 Angels bandwagon.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
1) Brew Crew
2) Padres

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

1 Angels
2 Marlins

gets my vote

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
1.) Padres. Least guaranteed money and some pieces they could convert into major league talent either through call-ups or trade. It's possible they're sub-.500 even if they(we) went all-in for 2019, but it'd be interesting to find out!

2.) Angels. Simultaneously better but also worse. They have Trout, Ohtani, and Simmons, but desperately need healthy pitching which is probably impossible to achieve, and they've got maybe one signing to play with and everything else would be a clutch of lotto tickets. I'm not an expert tho. Also no farm. Probably less moves to nitpick over when it comes to solving their problems.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Julio Cruz posted:

In on the 1 Padres 2 Angels bandwagon.

Same

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

John Wilkes Booth posted:

1) Padres
2) Braves

I very much value a good farm system in my OOTP games.
Seconded

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Top vote is for the Padres because it feels like the Harvest Moon answer. Also we’d be the only ones who’d give them a second thought.

Second choice is for the Angels because I want to recreate my childhood baseball movies, dangit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

1) Angels
2) Marlins

I think trying to actually build a team around Trout and Ohtani is the best use of this thread. And Marlins just because it would be amusing to me.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Tom Gorman posted:

1 Angels
2 Marlins

gets my vote

:same:

Either we start with Trout, or we take a dumpster fire and go all in for Trout.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
gently caress yeah this gonna be good.

1) Marlins

2) Padres

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Miz Kriss posted:

Second choice is for the Angels because I want to recreate my childhood baseball movies, dangit.

Do the Angels but add Mel Clark as a created character

I don't remember the name of Matthew McConaughey's character but we can add him too

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
1) Angels
2) Braves

Get Ohtani a ring or die trying. :patriot:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
1) Angels
2) Padres

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
1) Padres
2) Marlins so we can fire Jeter immediately

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1. Marlins so we can show Jeter how it's done.
2. Marlins so we can show Jeter how it's done.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

1) Marlins - I think it'd be a pretty cool challenge to see if we could somehow build a contender in 5 years with that start. Also will be fun having to work around a cheap owner.

2) Angels - I think they'd be fun because there are so many different ways you can play it out. With a team like the Marlins, you're just looking to build up a farm system and be good in a few years. With the Anglels, you can try building around Trout/Ohtani, you can blow it up, etc.

The goal should for any team should be to build a team that can hit 300 homers in a season. Just find and draft guys like Joey Gallo.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

iospace posted:

1. Marlins so we can show Jeter how it's done.
2. Marlins so we can show Jeter how it's done.

If we go the Marlins wouldn't we be working for Jeter?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

If we go the Marlins wouldn't we be working for Jeter?

Details.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah not gonna lie I picked the Marlins because I wanna start a scheme to run Jeets out of town.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Marlins look like the biggest challenge.
1. Marlins
2. Angels

Can we exploit the Trade System? In my last game I traded Ian Happ straight up for Trout Then Schwarber and a prospect for Soto.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I remember in MLB The Show 15 you could trade Tanaka for Trout straight up.

I'm excited to play with the Marlins! Stanton is an MVP and I see potential in Yelich.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like the Padres are the winner over the Angels, JUST BARELY.

The Boston Red Sox defeated the Chicago Cubs in a 6 game classic. Kris Bryant was your World Series MVP, slashing a ridiculous .429/.538/1.095. (note: I ran the season starting 1 September, so from that point on it is an alternate reality)

The date is now November 1, 2018. Following an abysmal 66-96 season, we've just been hired as the General Manager of the San Diego Padres.

We have to decide some Very Important Things. Please provide your votes as appropriate. Note: these broad strategy decisions will be put to a vote every other year, should we want to change anything.

VOTE

What is our approach to team building?

This question determines the biggest chunk of our strategy: what is our preferred method of acquiring new players? This isn't meant to be exclusive (ie, we'll still sign free agents even if we're building through prospects), but it does determine how we'll focus our efforts, particularly scouting. PICK ONE, ONLY ONE.

1) Build through prospects. We draft well, hoard our prospects jealously, trade for prospects as much as we can and patiently wait for them to emerge as big leaguers. Note: everyone does this now, so it can be very hard to stockpile prospects and beat other teams in development.

2) Build through waivers, trades, and Rule 5. We look for young guys other teams undervalue, who are past the prospect stage, and collect them like cigar butts, seeing if any are the next Max Muncy or Johan Santana . Note: this is, for example, how the A's are doing it these days.

3) Sign undervalued veterans. We wait patiently until late in the winter, and then try and snag veteran free agents who flew under the wire. Cheap deals on quality pros like Mike Moustakas, for example.

4) Sign star players. We pay the big money to get proven players. We pay Bryce Harper his $400 million.

What skillsets do we emphasize?

Several questions here broadly determine how we prioritize different parts of our roster. This of course does not mean that we forgo pitchers if we choose hitting, but it does mean we'll spend more of our limited resources on hitters.

1. Pitching or hitting?

2. Starting pitching, or bullpen?

3. Starters, or depth?

4. Pick two: power, speed, patience, defense

5. Pick one: velocity, control

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

note: this is ultimately up to the manager, but we are the ones who hire the manager

1. Smallball. Steals, hit and run, pinch runners, etc.

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

3. Tactical. Shifts and matchups, all day long.

Here are some info pages to help you make your decision:

Current financial situation. It isn't great, but it could be worse. We're cutting a lot of costs in scouting and development.

Salary breakdown:

Our ballpark stats. 1.000 is average.

Hitter stats from 2018:

Pitcher stats from 2018:

And finally, the GOOD NEWS. BEHOLD

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
One more VOTE

As we're sitting at our desk, a man comes through the door to our office, knocking the dust of the trail off his jacket.

"You got yourself into a fine mess here, didn't you? Well, I'm here to help. Name is Pete Ward, and I am the greatest ________ in the world."

What is Pete's job?
1. Hitting Coach
2. Pitching Coach
3. Scouting Director
4. Trainer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I remember in MLB The Show 15 you could trade Tanaka for Trout straight up.

I'm excited to play with the Marlins! Stanton is an MVP and I see potential in Yelich.

This starts after this season, so Stanton and Yelich are gone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scouting director

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can we be fired? Or is that turned off in this?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pete's mustache suggests to me that he's a Pitching coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Man I forgot we'd be dealing with that terrible Hosmer contract. Anyway:

My votes are for Prospects, Pitching, Starting pitching, Starters, Patience and Speed, Velocity, Tactical, Scouting Director.

• Locked thread