Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

VOTE

What is our approach to team building?

1) Build through prospects. current Padres leadership will give players away for a bag of regurgitated Corn Nuts.

What skillsets do we emphasize?

1. Pitching

2. Starting pitching

3. Starters

4. power, patience

5. control

For the love of god I don't even know who the hell any of the SD starters are. This absolutely has to change.

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

Also Pete is scouting. Has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Prospects, hitting, SPs, starters, power & patience, control, tactical

That is a drat pitching coach

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Prospects, Hitting, Starting pitching, Starters, Patience and Defense, Velocity, Sabermetrics, Scouting Director.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Prospects
Hitting
Bullpen
Depth
Power & Defense
Velocity
Tactical
Scouting Director

Or as I call it, PHBDPDVTSD assuming I don't make more brain mistakes

E: I was going to say waivers since that's an undervalued avenue, but that'd be a waste of our amazing Scouting Director

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 5, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That Hosmer contract is brutal. My decisions are partially based on this team likely having a small budget to work with.

My votes are:

Prospects - trade Yates and Stammen
Hitting
Bullpen
Depth
Power and patience
Velocity
Tactical
Pitching coach

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That man is a pitching coach if I ever saw one.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

New Concept Hole posted:

E: I was going to say waivers since that's an undervalued avenue, but that'd be a waste of our amazing Scouting Director

not to influence anyone to vote one way or another, but you can allocate your scouting resources away from amateurs and towards minor leagues and MLB, so a competitive advantage in scouting won't be necessarily wasted if we try another approach

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
1) Sign Star Players. Maybe we switch this up next year but the 2019 FA class is historically good right now so let's scoop up some talent while we can.
2) Pitching, Bullpen, Starters, Power/Patience, Velocity. Our rotation is hot garbage so the bullpen has to ride in to save the day. Also we should totally sign Miller to replace Hand :v:
3) Sabermetrics baby, time to go full launch angle and ~spin rate~
4) Pete Ward, Trainer extraordinaire.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

prospects, pitching, starting pitching, starters, patience+defense, control, tacticlol, scouting

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Waivers, trades, and Rule 5. Bluntly, everyone is doing the Prospect route these days. We're not gonna out-compete anyone in that department. But wheeling and dealing and making canny moves? That sounds like a fun way to GM.

Skill set priorities: Pitching, Starting Pitching, Depth, Speed and Patience, Control. Petco Park is a harsh mistress. It rewards good pitchers and punishes good hitters, so let's play to our strengths.

Tactical Approach: Tactical. Sabermetrics is last year's hotness, the new hotness is utilizing a deep and multitalented bench to get the most out of every matchup (this is also why emphasizing Depth is a good idea). Let's use openers. Let's shift all day long. Let's see if we can build an entire roster out of switch-hitting utility men.

Pete Ward is a Scouting Director, because grizzled old baseball people are always scouts. He's gonna find us some amazing gems.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

1) Star Players, go big or go home
2) Hitting, Starting Pitching, Starters, Power/Speed, Velocity
3) Sabermetric
4) Hitting Coach

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Kilza posted:

1) Star Players, go big or go home
2) Hitting, Starting Pitching, Starters, Power/Speed, Velocity
3) Sabermetric
4) Hitting Coach

:same:

Harper and Kershaw and Machado. The Padres have 120millon in budget space right? 10 year contracts all around/back load-em then blow up the team in 3 years Marlins style.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 5, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
After spending a sleepless night at our desk, after poring over reams of advanced stats and youtube clips of all of our players, we've decided that the following strategy best fits our new franchise.

We will continue to carefully hoard and develop prospects. We went all in with this approach a couple of years ago, and it has paid off so far in our flagship farm system. We can only hope that our sterling prospects mature into a championship team like the Astros or Royals.

We will focus on hitting. This makes sense given our limited resources - it is always easier to find value in hitters. Our current lineup though...yikes.

We will focus on our starting pitchers, and our starters. This falls right in line with the load of power arms in our system.

We will focus on power and patience with our hitters. We want guys who will either get on base, or club the ball.

We will focus on velocity with our pitchers. Given the spacious confines of our ballpark, fastball pitchers with a high flyball rate look great.

Our preferred tactical approach is tactics (good sentence, that). We will seek to find matchups, swap pitchers easily, shift and change and everything else to get every statistical edge we can.

There's a knock at the door...

"Did you make up your mind, sonny?"

"I need you to be my new scouting director, Pete."

"You got it, chief."

He tips his hat as he turns to leave.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
VOTE

Our next step is to decide what to do with our current team personnel.

ASSISTANT GM: AJ Preller. This was the guy who got demoted when we got hired. He was largely responsible for our current farm system, but also hasn't had any on-field success as of yet. He's probably not going anywhere as he has three years left on a $788,000/yr deal, but there ARE some VERY INTERESTING potential assistant GMs out there, including Theo Epstein, Billy Beane, and Paul DePodesta. We'll have to pay big money to get one of them on board, though

MANAGER: Andy Green seems like a capable guy, but he's very conventional in his thinking. He's had a rough first three years, but he hasn't had much to work with in that time. He's on a $912,000 contract for three more years. If we want to let him go, there are some very interesting replacement candidates out there, including Dusty Baker, Joe Girardi, Buch Showalter, Don Mattingly, and MIKE MATHENY.

PITCHING COACH: Darren Balsley got some good work out of a poo poo staff. He's all about generating ground balls though, which may not necessarily jive with our team strategy. He's on a relatively cheap contract through next year.

HITTING COACH: Matt Stairs actually had some limited talent to work with, and got next to nothing out of it. His approach to the game matches up well with our team strategy though. Another concern is that his reputation for working with youngsters is not great, which doesn't bode well for our incoming prospects.

Do we want to replace any of our key personnel?
Assistant GM
Manager
Pitching Coach
Hitting Coach

Mark McGwire just left as bench coach; I will hire a replacement as who cares about the bench coach.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 5, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
VOTE

I can't imagine anyone will care, but if we want to withdraw arbitration from any of the following, say so. None are over 2m.
Erlin
Capps
Yates
Spangenberg
Szczur
Jankowski

Do we want to either qualify or extend Freddy "-1.3 WAR" Galvis? He wants around $7m AAV for 3 years.

Finally, does anyone have any PROPOSALS?

Try to offload Hosmer or Myers?
Trade for anyone or anything?
Offload anyone else?

If you do, start your post with PROPOSAL so we can all see it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
goddamn it why did you guys choose to focus on hitting in PETCO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Proposal trade that gently caress Hosmer for as much IFA signing bonus money as we can plus additional random pieces

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We should replace our hitting coach because we need someone who works well with youngsters, and who has shown that he can get results.

Give Balsey at least another year, because even if his philosophy didn't exactly match with ours, he brought what we had up, and in the end that's what you want.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

MIKE MATHENY.
:yikes:

Votes:
1) Replace our pitching coach with somebody who focuses on velo and/or strikeouts. Preferably somebody who's also good with youngsters.
2) Replace our hitting coach with somebody good with young guys. Last thing we need is some scrub coach ruining development.
3) Pay all the arb guys, but let Galvis go.

Proposals:

1) Keep all our vets/big contracts... for now. None of these guys (Richard, Hosmer, Myers, etc) were worth anything last year so we'd be selling low. If any of them rebound next season we could sell at the deadline.

Any chance you could show us what the farm looks like? I was thinking about proposing buying low on a SP with some upside (Gray, Duffy, etc) to fortify the rotation but if we've got a ton of young arms primed to go then it's not worth it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hire Dusty.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Any chance you could show us what the farm looks like? I was thinking about proposing buying low on a SP with some upside (Gray, Duffy, etc) to fortify the rotation but if we've got a ton of young arms primed to go then it's not worth it.

There is a view of our farm in the pic dump I put up earlier. I'll upload the entire game file later today so you all can get way into the weeds.

VOTE

We sent out some feelers for a new hitting coach, and have four potential alternatives to Stairs:

Morgan Burkhart. Currently, our AAA affiliate hitting coach. He did fairly well in El Paso last year and states his approach is to develop power in young hitters.

Matt Treanor. He has minimal coaching experience but is very personable and will be well-liked by the youngsters. He is all about teaching the batter's eye. He's also married to a very attractive beach volleyball player.

Bill Mueller has an excellent reputation after years with the Dodgers, Cubs, and Cardinals. He's all about the power, regardless of age.

Kunitaro Kato enjoyed a long successful career in Japan. He's coached some of their power hitters, but isn't known for his work with youngsters.

Vote either to keep Stairs, or for one of these guys. The rest of the staff stays on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

There is a view of our farm in the pic dump I put up earlier. I'll upload the entire game file later today so you all can get way into the weeds.

VOTE

We sent out some feelers for a new hitting coach, and have four potential alternatives to Stairs:

Morgan Burkhart. Currently, our AAA affiliate hitting coach. He did fairly well in El Paso last year and states his approach is to develop power in young hitters.

Matt Treanor. He has minimal coaching experience but is very personable and will be well-liked by the youngsters. He is all about teaching the batter's eye. He's also married to a very attractive beach volleyball player.

Bill Mueller has an excellent reputation after years with the Dodgers, Cubs, and Cardinals. He's all about the power, regardless of age.

Kunitaro Kato enjoyed a long successful career in Japan. He's coached some of their power hitters, but isn't known for his work with youngsters.

Vote either to keep Stairs, or for one of these guys. The rest of the staff stays on.

To save money and reward being good, I think we should Promote Burkhart and then Hire Treanor to the minors.

I dunno if we want to promote people up the ladder or whatever but however it's done, hire Treanor to fill the gap.

Mueller would be nice and all but I think we need to consider the financial side of everything and the money we don't spend on him is money we could put into player development or draft pools.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I doubt there's an answer to this but the PCL is a hitter-friendly league, did Burkhart actually help guys develop power above and beyond what they would get from park factors or is it all eyewash?!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bewbies posted:

So you did! Sorry, didn't notice the last pic showed our top prospects.

IcePhoenix posted:

To save money and reward being good, I think we should Promote Burkhart and then Hire Treanor to the minors.

This.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

get treanor i am not really sold on THE LAUNCH ANGLE REVOLUTION at PETCO

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
League website up HERE.

Padres Homepage

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Proposal: Get rid of Hosmer

Second Proposal: Get rid of Hosmer

Last Proposal: For the love of all that is good and gracious please get rid of Hosmer I'm begging you, please.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
VOTE

After carefully shopping Hosmer, this is where we're at.

A. We can trade him straight up for the guys you'd imagine...Heyward, Yasmany Thomas, Tyler Chatwood, etc. The only interesting straight up trade is for Carlos Santana, who is older, a worse fielder, but is still a hell of a hitter, and only on a 3 year contract that is also cheaper (15m/15/17m or something).

B. If we eat 25% of his salary, we can basically just offload him for nothing. I can probably swing a mediocre shortstop or something.

C. If we eat 50% of his salary, we can get something of limited value back, like a 3 star RP or a 2 star SP.

Hosmer is still a decent player, he's just way overpaid. I'd bank him to bounce back to the 2 to 3 win range next year. He's half our salary though, and after boosting our developmental, draft, and international budgets to the league average, we have very little money left for any new players.

I'm tempted by A and B.

No one will take Myers for love or money, so we're stuck with him for the time being.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm surprised you can trade him straight up for Cubs considering they already have Rizzo. Must really want to get out from under that Heyward contract :v:

I still think we don't trade him until the deadline, but I see where the winds are blowing so if we must trade him, Trade him for Santana.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cubs posters can probably disagree with me here, but Chatwood might be a decent pickup given that he's going from Wrigley to Petco for most of his games.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Cubs posters can probably disagree with me here, but Chatwood might be a decent pickup given that he's going from Wrigley to Petco for most of his games.

Chatwood's problem in real life is a total inability to throw strikes, park doesn't factor into it. I assume OOTP mirrors this problem.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean Chatwood is definitely on a cheaper and shorter deal, and it's not like our rotation isn't garbage anyway so what's one more loser on the pile? He can also be bounced to the pen if he continues to suck.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

IcePhoenix posted:

:agreed:

Also Trade Hosmer for Chatwood just for the salary relief imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

I mean Chatwood is definitely on a cheaper and shorter deal, and it's not like our rotation isn't garbage anyway so what's one more loser on the pile? He can also be bounced to the pen if he continues to suck.

Yeah, if you can get a one-for-one trade for a better contract, do it.

Santana would be a decent pinch hitter type player. Not so much a double switch style one (well maybe) but definitely a spot starting 1st baseman and pinch hitter.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chatwood's got great stuff and four plus pitches, but can't throw strikes. Maybe we can coach him up, maybe we can't. Right now, he's a fringe starter, and we got plenty of them.

My thoughts: Santana will start at 1B for us if we trade Hos, and he won't be terrible value there. He'll also be easier to trade at the deadline because his contract is so much smaller. I don't think anyone will trade anything for Chatwood unless he has a major breakthrough, which isn't likely.

Santana is more expensive though: he's 15/17/17.5/17.5 (team option) compared to Chatwoods 12.5/12.5/13.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 5, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

santana for sure

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I also checked our minor leagues and none of our 1B options look ready, so we'd have to go out and sign somebody to cover losing Hosmer anyway. Santana it is.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our hand shakes as we pick up the phone to make our first trade.

"I'm interested in Santana for Hosmer"

Matt Klentak: "SOUNDS GOOD LETS DO IT"

"Get a couple of prospects thrown in there, sonny. Ask about Cozens and Hammer"

"Throw in Cozens and Hammer and you have a deal"

"Too much. Throw in a couple of prospects."

"Take back some salary, then, Matt. You have plenty"

"Do it, kid"

Eric Hosmer and 3 one star prospects for Santana (25% retained), Dylan Cozens (MLB ready left hand power bat), and JD Hammer, 3 star RP prospect.

A good deal perhaps, but the fans are livid.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
JD Hammer better throw a curve, and it better be firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
He's a fastball/slider righty, 91-93, plus plus on both pitches. Only concern is he's 24 and probably at least a year out.

Think we just got Wild Thing II

• Locked thread