Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I, for one, believe we should keep Green as manager the time being. If we can get some good players on the field we'll see how he does. At that point we can think about extending him or just dumping him outright and getting... not him. Keeping Preller also seems like a plan as we're focusing on the farm anyway; he got us to this point, and picked up a lot of the talent that we've already traded elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The fans will get over it when we use that money to extend an actual good player

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

The fans will get over it when we use that money to extend an actual good player

*extreme Jim Leyland voice* "Hosmer is a top 10 player in all MLB."

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
With our first BIG TRADE under our belts, it is time to move forward with building our roster for 2019.

VOTE

What is our strategy for this season?

A. Another tank year; don't care about winning. Keep piling prospects, don't call up any elite guys.

B. Play .500 ball. Will probably require us to sign some vets and call up at least a couple of MLB ready prospects to get there.

C. Make the playoffs. We'll have to spend some money and call in all the reinforcements we have...and probably still not get there.

Our owner's only instructions are "not suck completely".

I feel like we need to start building some fan interest if we're ever going to get some money to play with, and that will require winning some games.

Next sim will go through arbitration and the start of free agency. Consult here for a list of upcoming free agents. Note if there is someone specific you want to target, or just say a position and a skill level (1 to 5 stars). Right now we only have about $12m to spend.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I vote for strategy B: AIM FOR MEDIOCRITY

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Definitely B.

Looking at our farm, Mejia slashed .471/.500/.824 in AAA last year (although it was only four games). I propose we make him our big call up this year to generate some interest. Will also hopefully get him some experience catching at the MLB level a year or two prior to us actually going for it.

Of course, we only call him up a few weeks in so we get that extra year of control. :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
let's plan to horde prospects, trade away some mediocre assets at the deadline for prospects, but call up guys who are ready

so like a but not quite so Process

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Voting B. Mejia for sure, but also let's fast track Tatis Jr.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Definitely B

If we want to keep Mejia down for Service Time Fuckery (we do) we should sign Willians Astudillo to catch.

If Donaldson or Beltre will come on cheap deals they could give us a popularity boost and be trade bait around the deadline

I don't know who Yonathan Daza is and he doesn't have a player page but his ratings bear a look as a possible cheap CF to back up or replace Margot. Same with Reymond Fuentes. Esteban Quiroz as a corner OF falls in here.

We need a shortstop pretty badly IMO, Galvis' defense doesn't appear to be offsetting his horrible performance at the dish. Eduardo Escobar might be worth a look (but also might be too expensive). My eyes have started to glaze over by now so I'm not sure who else might be a good sign there.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sign Astudillo no matter what. Make him the marquee player. Pay him for life.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

can you please set ratings to 20-80

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FA PROPOSAL: Our infield is questionable, so I'd like to maybe see Eduardo Escobar in there for 4-ish years if we can manage it. His overall infield ability looks good, even if his shortstop ability isn't so great, and we can keep him around in hopes that Tatis, Jr. fills out by the time Esobar's contract is up or sooner. We also need a solid starter. Not ace-quality, but none of our starters had even double-digit wins and we have some really horseshit numbers for Petco. Patrick Corbin, Derek Holland, etc. There's obviously a shitload of great pitching on the market, but I don't know--is that where we want to put our remaining budget? I say not right now.

VOTE: Strategy B--aim for .500 and let the kids we have develop. We tanked pretty hard already this year and should hopefully get a decent pick or two in the draft. Hopefully there's a slam dunk in there.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I vote B and please sign Astudillo.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm going with C. We should aim to be the best, not mediocre.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B. Mediocrity and .500 ball will still be an improvement for the Padres.

Also I doubt OOTP models the commentary booth but just in case it does sign Don Orsillo to a lifetime deal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

propose we trade for a young cost controlled shortstop like an adalberto mondesi from our pile of prospects

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Escobar would be a good 2B or 3B signing, but he'd be a poo poo tier defender at short. We'll keep an eye on him when FA starts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

propose we trade for a young cost controlled shortstop like an adalberto mondesi from our pile of prospects

This has some potential. Here's a list of guys:

Adalberto Mondesi: ML ready, high ceiling, potential to be a plus defender. May be prohibitively expensive.
Addison Russell: no probably not
Thairo Estrada: league average hitter, plus defender, should be pretty easy to acquire
Richard Urena: currently a slightly below league average hitter but with some upside. Average defender. Cheap.
Tommy Edman: also a little below average bat but with some upside. also average defender. Very cheap.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

New proposal

see how expensive it would be to pry Ohtani away from the Angels :getin:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

if we need a short term C what would kurt suzuki cost on a one year deal?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

if we need a short term C what would kurt suzuki cost on a one year deal?

:frogout:

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

look man I'm not sure trading for ohtani to have him catch is a good idea, but I guess I'm willing to try it?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

New proposal

see how expensive it would be to pry Ohtani away from the Angels :getin:

I began negotiations with our top 5 prospects..two in the top 5, and all in the top 30. I was laughed at

LAUGHED AT

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

look man I'm not sure trading for ohtani to have him catch is a good idea, but I guess I'm willing to try it?

IcePhoenix posted:

If we want to keep Mejia down for Service Time Fuckery (we do) we should sign Willians Astudillo to catch.

Inspector_666 posted:

Sign Astudillo no matter what. Make him the marquee player. Pay him for life.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I vote B and please sign Astudillo.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Urena or Edmun might be worth pursuing if we want cheap and to make some marginal improvements. Probably want to save our actual payroll money for pitching.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

oh right the fat catcher. I guess fat meme guys are more fun than someone who might actually be good so w/e

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If we're going after fat dudes we drat well better make a run at signing Bartolo Colon

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheFlyingLlama posted:

oh right the fat catcher. I guess fat meme guys are more fun than someone who might actually be good so w/e

Good news, Astudillo is both :yeah:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Astudillo is good at baseball so we get the best of all worlds.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If we're going after fat dudes we drat well better make a run at signing Bartolo Colon

Our rotation needs a boost, do this.

Also Bartolo hit his lone home run in PetCo so clearly that's where the magic is :colbert:

e. Oh yeah and Sign Astudillo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

B. Mediocrity. I say overpay for a couple above average vets on short 1-2 year deals. Move them at the deadline for prospects or controllable young players. We can eat some (or all) of the remaining contract too.

Keep Green because this team isn't going to be contending and it's not worth wasting money on a new coach yet. Can put that savings into developing guys or scouting.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Our rotation needs a boost, do this.

Also Bartolo hit his lone home run in PetCo so clearly that's where the magic is :colbert:

e. Oh yeah and Sign Astudillo.

Sign Bartolo and rename the Western Metal building to Bartolo's Bombing Range.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I’m sure Bartolo will stick around even in OOTP. Sign him!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will target Bartolo Colon and Cube Catcher in free agency.

After harsh negotiations, we're bringing in Thairo Estrada and Tommy Edman to compete for the starting SS spot.

Estrada cost us newly acquired JD Hammer, Austin Hedges (sold in anticipation of Mejia and Cube being our C tandem), and two nothing prospects. Edman cost us Jordy Barley, a 3 star middle infield prospect.

Along with Estrada, we got Matt Sauer, a 3.5 star bullpen/emergency starter prospect the Yankees took in the 2nd round last year.

Forwarding now to free agency!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
BARTOLO RETIRED. I am sorry.

Cube Catcher has a 3 year/3m offer (with team option 3rd year) on the table. He should unironically be a nice addition, he can play the field as well and is a heck of a contact hitter.

VOTE

Pitcher targets:

Corbin wants 9/114
Eovaldi wants 3/24
Gio Gonzalez wants 5/62
Charlie Morton wants 4/40
Cahill wants 3/16
Ernesto Cagolla, Cuban expat with 4 plus pitches, 95-97 fastball, and mediocre stamina. He wants 4/23.

We have $12m to spend on free agents this offseason. Note that for some of these guys, we'll be able to negotiate them down a bit.

For all other positions, I suggest we wait until the preseason begins to make any offers. However, if there's anyone else you want me to target specifically, or a position/ability level, PROPOSE!

Also for your consideration: Juan Salinas, another Cuban expat. He's 29, and wants 8/138. However, he's an elite hitter (think in the Bryce Harper class....300/400/550-ish) while being a plus plus defender in right, including an absolute cannon arm. We could probably work out a contract for him...IF WE WANTED TO, but it will be expensive.

edit - lol forgot a 1 in there, that makes a big difference

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 6, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
How much can we backload that Salinas contract? If we can give him maybe $10m over the first 3 years then after that we could be in a position to either build around him or flip him.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is that 12m in addition to Cube Catcher's contract or including that money? It's only a mil this year, but that might change the calculus on our pitching targets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Down with trying to sign eovaldi and cagolla, try to shave some cost off of each but not term

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

How much can we backload that Salinas contract? If we can give him maybe $10m over the first 3 years then after that we could be in a position to either build around him or flip him.

Quite a bit. Which, is of particular relevance, because...

VOTE

We got an offer on Wil Myers! Yuli Gurriel for him, straight up. He's owed 10m this year and 8m next year. The lovely thing is, Myers contract isn't super-backloaded until NEXT year, which means we'd lose 7m in salary THIS year. After that though, his 20m a year in perpetuity is the Astros problem.

I can get the Astros to take back half Yuli's salary, leaving us 10m, but that'll cost us Maton (3 star RP)

Guerriel is still a VERY good hitter...probably tops out at 300/350/500, while being a mediocre defensive 3B.

Artix posted:

Is that 12m in addition to Cube Catcher's contract or including that money? It's only a mil this year, but that might change the calculus on our pitching targets.

Offer is already in on the Cube. 12m is what we have left.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 6, 2018

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Cool, then let's try and get Eovaldi and Cagolla, should only take a tiny bit of lowballing to get that under our payroll limit. If they refuse to budge, we can swing Morton or Cahill instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Get gurriel he has serious deadline value this year or next, take on the salary

• Locked thread