Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I vote get Yuli, then pursue Cagolla with a slightly backloaded contract to fit him on the payroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bewbies posted:

BARTOLO RETIRED. I am sorry.

nooooooo :(

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I vote to get Gurriel.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

What does our team chemistry look like? Do we have any Leaders or anything?

If we don't then I propose we get some.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

I vote get Yuli, then pursue Cagolla with a slightly backloaded contract to fit him on the payroll.

This. Yuli's salary isn't going to make a huge difference in a season we're not going to compete, but getting Myers off the books is great for seasons where we potentially might be.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 6, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My only problem with Yuli was the whole "racist dick" angle, but he seems to have made amends for that, and I'd much rather have a good infielder than Myers, especially considering we have a load of outfielders coming up.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Playing for the Padres is its own form of punishment

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Grab Salinas, trade for Yuli (lose Maton for the payroll savings), and then see if we can squeeze in Eovaldi

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
FREE AGENCY UPDATE

It is currently the day before Spring Training starts.

- Sent off Myers for Yuli. Threw in Villanueva as he wouldn't be starting anyway, in order to get the Astros to take back 50% of Yuli's salary.
- Signed Cube Catcher to 3/3m.
--Signed Eovaldi to 3/21, with TO in 3rd year (this is a great deal)
- I was hoping to be able to sign Salinas to a backloaded deal before the rest of the league noticed him, but they did, and he got a pile of money from the Brewers.
- Snagged a "Dominic Smith" in Rule 5, is a young left handed power bat who might be useful as a platoon 1B/OF. ...wish we had a DH....

Due to higher than expected ticket sales, we were given an extra 4 MILLION DOLLARS.

VOTE

Free Agents

There are some VERY interesting options still out there unsigned.

Zach Britton
Andrew Miller
Cody Allen
Jerry Blevins
Charlie Morton
Josh Donaldson

We have about $7m to play with.

I don't think we can afford Donaldson, and we have both a current and future 3B anyway. Still, if we want, we can try to squeeze him in on a 3-4 year backloaded deal. We can probably squeeze in BOTH Britton AND Miller/Allen/Blevins on short term deals, probably 2-3 year deals with more money in years 2-3. These guys would be great trade chips, or alternatively if they stay healthy we'll have one hell of a bulllpen.

Or, we could just bank the money to take on some salary in a deadline deal later in the season.

Or, we could trade for someone who makes some money. I'm open to ideas. Justin Smoak and MadBum are on the trading block...Smoak is pretty drat good, but then I have no idea what we'd do with Santana.

What do we plan to do with the following prospects? Vote for "stay up" or "more seasoning" if you disagree with my take.

- Tatis Jr (known forward as FTJ): probably a year away. Should we try and keep him at SS, or move him to 3B? He'll be either a mediocre defensive SS or a great defensive 3B. He needs time at 3B though.
- Mejia: probably ML ready, slotted as a backup behind Cube for ST, will likely end up starting
- Michel Baez: probably needs some more minors time to work out his control, but MAN is he exciting...6'7, fastball/slider/change, 96-98 mph
- Cal Quantrill: borderline ML ready
- Luis Urias: borderline ML ready, slotted in as starting 2B

Also, what a farm system this is.

Spring Training lineup:
Margot CF
Urias 2B
Gurriel 3B
Renfroe RF
Santana 1B
Astudillo C
Cozens LF
Cordoba SS

ST Rotation:
Eovaldi
Lucchesi
Richard
Strahm
Lauer
Erlin

Bullpen
Maton (CL)
Wingenter
Capps
Yates
Stock
Makita
Wick

...and a bunch of others including Quantrill

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Other league news:

Harper went to Houston for only 4/84. He's getting paid about the same as Myers, lol. I can't believe he went for that low, we could have been in on that!
Machado went to the Yankees for 7/168
Pollock went to the Cubs for 7/120. lol
Kershaw extended with the Dodgers for 6/242

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd rather get Morton with that $7M if possible, but if not then Britton and Miller are both good pickups for bullpen depth and/or deadline deals.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Julio Cruz posted:

I'd rather get Morton with that $7M if possible, but if not then Britton and Miller are both good pickups for bullpen depth and/or deadline deals.

Sounds like a plan to me. As for our prospects, do we have any other notable SS depth behind FTJ? If we do let's move him to third and see if we can create another Machado.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'd say try and snag Miller and Britton with that money and then flip them at the deadline for talent if the season isn't going too well. Otherwise I think we've done a solid job at building a new base for hitters. It's a shame about that pitching though

my view is that we should be aggressive in promoting prospects as soon as we get that extra year of control and if they're performing well. Tatis should stay at SS, and Mejia should be starting. the other guys should stay for more seasoning

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Artix posted:

Sounds like a plan to me. As for our prospects, do we have any other notable SS depth behind FTJ? If we do let's move him to third and see if we can create another Machado.

We have a ton of SS depth...3 borderline-ready quality ML prospects (Cordoba, Estrada, Edman) and a couple more decent ones (3 star) in the pipeline (Almanzar, Arias).

Morton priced us out in a hurry, but I have offers in with Miller (3/15) and Britton (3/23). Both are cheap first year deals with 2 option years.

edit - well, we got badly priced out of all those guys, so

I did get a nice deal on Justin Wilson (3/14), and am still negotiating with Jake Diekman.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Time to decide our FINAL ROSTER for the year!

VOTE

My proposed roster moves, aside from waiving/sending down a bunch of replacement level guys:

- Mejilla: to AAA until his Super Two date passes, then call him up assuming he's slugging in AAA. Cube and Rafael Lopez are a decent C pair in the meantime.
- Urias is ready to start at 2B. Thairo Estrada won SS in the spring. Both seem ready to go.
- FTJ to AA, as a 3B.
- Quantrill to AAA as a starter until at least after Super Two day.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Keep everyone down until Super 2, you don’t build a dynasty by being nice to your players :colbert:

e: unless OotP tracks player happiness and your team will play like poo poo if they hate you

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

e: unless OotP tracks player happiness and your team will play like poo poo if they hate you

It does but gently caress 'em they'll get over it.

Hold off for super two eligibility on everybody. Not like a rough start will hurt our long term goal of going .500 anyway.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Hold off for super two eligibility on everybody. Not like a rough start will hurt our long term goal of going .500 anyway.

:emptyquote:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We called Urias into the office and told him he's starting the season in El Paso. There's now a big hole in the wall behind our desk.

VOTE

This spring, we had 4 quality outfielders emerge: Cordero, Margo, Cozens, and Renfroe. Cordero, Margo, and Cozens are the three opening day starters. I am of the mind we should swap one -- probably Renfroe -- for a prospect or a youngster at another position.

"I got three possibilities for you, kid"

Bobby Bradley. 22 year old 1B. Kid has mammoth power. Huge power. Decent hitter otherwise, passable defense. Not yet on a ML deal.

Corey Ray. 24 year old CF. Plus fielder, plus speed, potential to develop into a 280/330/450 kind of hitter. Maybe better than Margot right now, but doesn't solve the logjam in the OF. Not yet on a ML deal.

Riley Ferrell. 25 year old reliever. Absolutely killer slider, 96 mph fastball, ML ready now, poential future closer. He's a righty though, and our bullpen is pretty full of righties at the moment.

Or, we could keep Renfroe. OF depth is never bad, and he will get some playing time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bradley seems like the best fit right now

Stepping out of character, with people concerned about long-term considerations like Super 2s etc., how long do sims like this usually last considering OP's availability, thread interest, how far into the future OotP stays reasonably playable?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

:agreed:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We have Santana for at least a couple years, so Bradley would have time to develop and work on his defense in the minors. On the other hand, you can never have too much bullpen help, especially if Ferrell is as ready to go as advertised. Plus if we fall short of our lofty goal of .500 we can probably sell him for a good haul unless he completely falls apart.

Ferrell

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Dinger City.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bradley for Renfroe, DONE DEAL

Bradley starting in AA, but he could definitely see the show this year

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Stepping out of character, with people concerned about long-term considerations like Super 2s etc., how long do sims like this usually last considering OP's availability, thread interest, how far into the future OotP stays reasonably playable?

I'm planning to go for at least 7 seasons or so. This isn't much work compared to BAP, so we'll see if we want to continue after that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wait did we get Dom Smith from The Mets in that Rule 5? Please say yes.

Also yes, Get Bradley. ALL THE POWER.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Inspector_666 posted:

That’s most likely him!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Yep sure did. Mets gonna met.

We have a lot of power at the first bag now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

:allears:

So good.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bewbies posted:

I'm planning to go for at least 7 seasons or so. This isn't much work compared to BAP, so we'll see if we want to continue after that.
Cool, so we can kinda discount stuff like that seventh year of control that at least somewhat in our decision, even if we're not too concerned about immediate success. Thanks for doing this, it's a lot of fun even when I'm not chiming in!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
And the 2019 Season is ready to go!

We had a decent Spring Training - 17-11 I think, but we're still picked to finish last in the NL West. Predicted record is 76-86.

Farm system is still #1 by a mile..our lineup in El Paso might be better than the one in SD. Two in the top ten, 4 in the top 20, 8 in the top 50, 18 in the top 200. Vlad Jr is one of the best propects I've seen, and he's starting the year in the show. FTJ is #2, and is in AA.

Indians are the hot pick for World Series Champs.

League website is HERE, upload should be finished soon so you can take a look at the MLB OF THE FUTURE.

I will do the first 2 month sim later this afternoon.

Opening Day Lineup:
Margot, CF
Cozens, RF
Gurriel, 3B
Santana, 1B
Astudillo, C
Cordero, LF
Pirela, 2B
Estrada, SS

Opening Day Staff:
Eovaldi
Lucchesi
Richard
Strahm
Perdomo

Wintergenter (CL)
Maton
Wilson
Capps
Wick
Yates
Lamet

...still waiting on loving Diekman to sign his deal so we'll have another quality lefty arm in the pen.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 6, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

We have a lot of power at the first bag now.

I know they're high on Peter Alonso right now, but yeesh. I assume we can't get a look at their 40-man as of the draft to see who they protected instead?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I know they're high on Peter Alonso right now, but yeesh. I assume we can't get a look at their 40-man as of the draft to see who they protected instead?

http://www.cowace2.com/OOTP/OOTP/teams/team_49_roster_page.html

um...Wilmer?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

They got rid of Alonso too? :wtc: even in a simulation the Mets are run by morons.

e: oh for some reason he just doesn't exist in the game

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 6, 2018

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Speaking of simulated team dumbness, the Giants' outfield is Seth Smith, Colby Rasmus, and Adam Jones. :wtf: This is stupid enough that it might be true come Spring Training 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
May 31, 2018

19-30, .388
5th place, NL West

We haven't gotten the wins, but things don't look too bad. Yuli, Margot, and Santana are all playing well, as is Allen Cordoba. Cube Catcher had a tough start, but has turned it on lately. Our starting pitching has been rough...Eovaldi has been as good as advertised, but Strahm and Perdomo have been smelly and Richard was awful until he went down for the year with a back injury.

Baez and Quantrill are playing very well in AAA, as are Urias and Mejia. I'm thinking we bring all 4 up on or around June 15. Bobby Bradley....has already smashed 26 home runs. He's on pace for 75. Bring him up too? Or wait until the deadline and we can move Santana then?

I think we're probably on track for a .500 finish, but we'll need to get some good production from the young guys when they come up.

Upload should be finished shortly.

Also, I keep forgetting to change the numbers to 20-80, will do that next upload.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ATTENTION

We have the 7th overall pick in the upcoming draft, as well as a pick early in the supplemental 1st. Who do we want to target? Either take a look at the draft pool, or you can describe a player type ("big arm high school pitcher" "power corner bat" etc) and we'll go from there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Call up the big 4, wait until the trade deadline for Bradley and only call him up if we deal Santana. Draft whoever Pete Ward likes the look of most.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Draft a good pitcher.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
in the immortal words of Jose Canseco

bats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Bring up the Big Four; stash Bradley until the trade deadline so we have him waiting in the wings if we make some moves.

In the draft target a college pitcher, preferably one we can aim to get into a starter role. In the supplemental draft target Best Player Available, without regard to positional logjams; if we end up with a trade chip rather than a starter-in-the-waiting, that's fine, we're planning on focusing on trades regardless.

• Locked thread