Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

1) Marlins - I think it'd be a pretty cool challenge to see if we could somehow build a contender in 5 years with that start. Also will be fun having to work around a cheap owner.

2) Angels - I think they'd be fun because there are so many different ways you can play it out. With a team like the Marlins, you're just looking to build up a farm system and be good in a few years. With the Anglels, you can try building around Trout/Ohtani, you can blow it up, etc.

The goal should for any team should be to build a team that can hit 300 homers in a season. Just find and draft guys like Joey Gallo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can we be fired? Or is that turned off in this?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That Hosmer contract is brutal. My decisions are partially based on this team likely having a small budget to work with.

My votes are:

Prospects - trade Yates and Stammen
Hitting
Bullpen
Depth
Power and patience
Velocity
Tactical
Pitching coach

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

B. Mediocrity. I say overpay for a couple above average vets on short 1-2 year deals. Move them at the deadline for prospects or controllable young players. We can eat some (or all) of the remaining contract too.

Keep Green because this team isn't going to be contending and it's not worth wasting money on a new coach yet. Can put that savings into developing guys or scouting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's a great bullpen. Especially with how dominant Wilson was last season.

Seems like it'll come down to whether the team can score enough runs with the young guys. But with such a deep farm system still, you can always make a move at the deadline if there ends up being a gaping hole.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think I'd take the boring route and stand pat. The pitching was great and the hitting was real good. Plus the expectation should be that the hitting will get better as the young guys develop. The big moves should maybe come at the trade deadline when you know the injury situation and which young guys just didn't develop enough.

As for the money, I actually like the idea of trying to get a team friendly deal for Lucchesi. From the looks of it, he really developed his control and was a top of the rotation guy last season when healthy. His BB/9 was incredible which should play well at Petco. If it's possible to front load the deal, it should help down the road financially. There are a lot of guys who are entering arbitration in the coming years and it doesn't look like the owner is keen on spending.

If you do spend, I'd say focus on real short deals for maybe a solid relief pitcher. My concern in the bullpen is that Wilson or Treinen will hit a decline next season as their age gets up there (it looks like Kirby Yates did this). The bullpen is pretty old. Not sure how the minor league pipeline looks when it comes to the pen, but I don't think you can ever have too many good arms in the pen. Maybe a 2 year deal for a good arm that can then replace Wilson after next season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Can we do a little of B and a little of C?

This is my choice too. See if we can extend some young guys for fair deals. Use the rest and throw it into scouting, maybe with a higher percentage going toward international to fill up our international facility with some young talent.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Sandman posted:

I admit to not knowing much about this particular game or the present state of baseball in general, but would it be worth it to kick some of that money into our backend stuff like development and coaching instead? It sounds like we already have a pretty solid roster and set of prospects, so why not polish them to a shine, especially if we can't afford any big deals anyway.

That definitely can help. I think it's just a matter of budget. If this were the Yankees with $350 million to play with, you can throw gobs of money into development and coaching.

I think one of the problems with the Padres and their cheap owner is that all these young guys will be making a lot of money in a few years. We're kind of lucky that so many are on their rookie scale deals. But once they hit arbitration, the payroll could explode, so using the money now to sure up team friendly deals saves money down the road.

There's no right answer though. Half the fun of this is we're dealing with a team that has big time budget constraints trying to compete against the Dodgers who don't. If we put money into one thing, it has to come from another.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bewbies posted:

gently caress you phil maton, why the gently caress was he even in the goddamn game

Treinen was pretty dominant after we traded him to the Dodgers. Have to wonder if things turn out differently if he was closing.

I think at the deadline we should go all-in on guys in the final year of their contract. Trade prospects for an elite reliever or middle of the order bat if we can. Can't let the window close while so many guys are on pre-arb deals.

Also the owner sucks and I hope he sells the team.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Any opinions on which of the more recent OotP games to play, by which I mean from 2016 to 2019? All I know is that 17 was the first to have a full MLB/MLBPA licence, but I know that the newest game isn't necessarily the best. Any thoughts? All I want to do is rebuild the Expos.

Kind of depends. Are you just going to be simming games or playing them out? If you're playing them out, the 3D engine made a nice jump this year (still not great, but huge improvement over 18).

If money isn't a concern, I'd go with 19. It's really well polished in my opinion. They do usually put it on sale at the end of the season so if you're not in a huge hurry, you can probably get it for $20 soon. Otherwise 18 is still a solid game and well worth $20.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bewbies posted:

1) he's korean, and korean baseball players are wonderful

2) he's basically a one pitch pitcher, and his one pitch is miraculous

3) he is only 5'10 but can throw 100 mph

4) he strikes out a ton of guys

full disclosure: I gave him his nickname

Is the reason they suggest bullpen because he only throws 2 pitches? Looks like his stamina is halfway decent.

Chubb is going to run him into the ground this year. :argh:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can you lower ticket prices to gently caress the owner over a bit and give the great people of San Diego cheap tickets to watch the dynasty that is being built? Or would he take that out of the annual budget?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What about trading Booh? His value has to be sky high after last season. But he's going to be 31 next season with 3 years left on his deal. Odds are we'll see a decline in the coming years.

It's only $6 million and I'm not saying dump him just to dump him. But I'd be curious if there would be teams willing to just throw top prospects at him. Plus next offseason is going to be a bloodbath with Beer, Gore, and Lewis entering arbitration. So maybe getting a top prospect who can slide in for Beer or Lewis might be a decent financial move.

Plus he blew the save in Game 5 :argh:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I say do it because hitting dingers is what this is all about.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you haven't done it, give the River Sharks and Minutemen some cool logos instead of the generic OOTP stuff.

Uniforms and caps below. Hex codes for primary and secondary color in the filename too.
https://imgur.com/a/UQsqbaG

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My vote on realignment is 2 divisions of 8 teams in each league. 6 teams make the playoffs in each like in football. Division winners get the "bye". Make the wild card games either 1 or 3 game series.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bewbies posted:

dig this except i don't think the math works.

4 division winners

2 wild cards

top two seeds get bye. 3 and 4 (division winners) vs 5 and 6 (wild cards)

Does that sound right?

3 game WC series, 5 game DS, 7 game LCS/WS?

My bad. I meant 6 teams in the NL and 6 teams in the AL make it. The two division winners in the NL and two division winners in the AL get byes. Then there are 4 wild card teams in each league that get in.

It would basically be a 12 team playoff like the NFL has it. Makes winning the division harder and more important.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

edit: promotion and relegation

OOTP 19 can actually do promotion and relegation. Never tried it and it would probably be a mess with financials and stuff, but it has the ability to set up leagues that way.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's a horrible broken mess and the OOTP devs would do well to quit listening to the vocal minority on their forums who want OOTP to be Football Manager.

I love OOTP but that vocal minority and the developer seems to really hate baseball.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bewbies posted:

As for Royce Lewis, his rear end only wants an 8+ year deal at 35m plus a year. Do we ride him until his last year of arbitration, or deal him this season?

I say ride him till his last year unless there is a viable option in the minors. Window is now to win another championship or two with this pitching staff. If your back is against the wall financially in a year, you should easily be able to move him still and get a great return.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How many more years until the payroll from all these young stars makes it impossible to keep them? I mean there is no chance we can keep Lewis long term, right?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This was really cool. Thanks for doing it.

If you go with another one, I'd recommend trying the Marlins who not only have the lovely metrics a team from San Diego has, but a craptastic farm system to rebuild with. You can even relocate or just rename them to get the stink off that franchise.

Or be an expansion team that goes through the expansion draft and all that jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How did the Angels get so much loving money?

• Locked thread