Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carlosologist posted:

I vote for:

1) Angels because oh my god we could definitely put together a better team around Trout and Ohtani
2) Padres because let's build something out of nothing

Samesies. Added bonus of seeing people come up I saw when they were knee-high to a grasshopper in Fort Wayne. (lol just kidding most of those people got traded TREA TURNER)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

VOTE

What is our approach to team building?

1) Build through prospects. current Padres leadership will give players away for a bag of regurgitated Corn Nuts.

What skillsets do we emphasize?

1. Pitching

2. Starting pitching

3. Starters

4. power, patience

5. control

For the love of god I don't even know who the hell any of the SD starters are. This absolutely has to change.

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

Also Pete is scouting. Has to be.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I, for one, believe we should keep Green as manager the time being. If we can get some good players on the field we'll see how he does. At that point we can think about extending him or just dumping him outright and getting... not him. Keeping Preller also seems like a plan as we're focusing on the farm anyway; he got us to this point, and picked up a lot of the talent that we've already traded elsewhere.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FA PROPOSAL: Our infield is questionable, so I'd like to maybe see Eduardo Escobar in there for 4-ish years if we can manage it. His overall infield ability looks good, even if his shortstop ability isn't so great, and we can keep him around in hopes that Tatis, Jr. fills out by the time Esobar's contract is up or sooner. We also need a solid starter. Not ace-quality, but none of our starters had even double-digit wins and we have some really horseshit numbers for Petco. Patrick Corbin, Derek Holland, etc. There's obviously a shitload of great pitching on the market, but I don't know--is that where we want to put our remaining budget? I say not right now.

VOTE: Strategy B--aim for .500 and let the kids we have develop. We tanked pretty hard already this year and should hopefully get a decent pick or two in the draft. Hopefully there's a slam dunk in there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My only problem with Yuli was the whole "racist dick" angle, but he seems to have made amends for that, and I'd much rather have a good infielder than Myers, especially considering we have a load of outfielders coming up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Hold off for super two eligibility on everybody. Not like a rough start will hurt our long term goal of going .500 anyway.

:emptyquote:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Bring up the Big Four; stash Bradley until the trade deadline so we have him waiting in the wings if we make some moves.

In the draft target a college pitcher, preferably one we can aim to get into a starter role. In the supplemental draft target Best Player Available, without regard to positional logjams; if we end up with a trade chip rather than a starter-in-the-waiting, that's fine, we're planning on focusing on trades regardless.

Agreed in total

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trust the Process. Hold pat unless we get a good offer for some more young controllable guys. Hug those prospects. Hopefully go all in next year.

As for international guys... if we go for anything, go for batting. I feel like taking a lottery pull on a teenage pitcher is just not a good way to spend a limited amount of money we could put somewhere else.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Coaches: Keep our pitching coach, get a new hitting coach. Preferably one that isn't Chili Davis.

Manager: Keep Andy Green. He's not doing so terribly!

2020 strategy: B. We're a young team; we could use a season or two of growth and experience before we start making the Big Move. If we find a few Bargain Stars - like we did with Nasty Nate Eovaldi - then pick them up, but there's no need to overreach too soon.

I'm with this.

Definitely dump the batting coach. We're not walking at all and we have some pretty anemic power numbers, despite it looking like most guys' BABIP are doing alright.

Aim for .500 and if we're seeing surprises at the ASB, maybe do some dealing before the deadline. If we can avoid a May like we had in 2019, I'm feeling okay, honestly.

I'm also not sure what to do about Urias. He's only 22 and had a couple injuries, but his power is so bad. SO bad. I know the org and OOTP are still keen on him, but if he doesn't develop that power soon he's gonna have to really up his defensive game to make him worth a roster slot once arbitration rolls around.

Also, speaking of injuries:

quote:

Friday, April 19th, 2019
C Willians Astudillo was injured after getting in a fight during a poker game. The Diagnosis: Knee contusion. This is a day-to-day injury expected to last 6 days.
LA TORTUGA

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cole

I like Sale's numbers, but Cole's arm has ~500 fewer innings on it. Sale also apparently turned into a pumpkin in 2019.

Whit

Seems like a good pick-up, especially if he keeps producing AND if he comes with some bonus guys. I'm not keen on Urias, but I'm also not keen on trading him straight up in this case. I'd still like to give him some time to get his hitting up to snuff.

Paxton

All for it; definitely if Cole falls through and/or Whit maybe falls through. If we can somehow land all three, I think we go from fringe WC contender to definite WC contender, but I'm not sure we beat the Dodgers. Another year on top of that, though, and I'm suddenly very happy.

LA TORTUGA

GIVE THIS MAN A CONTRACT

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BIG MAPLE

Outfield

Option C, trade Williams and pray he crashes wherever he ends up.

1b

Send down Naylor and reassess at ASB

Acquisitions

Affordable SP. Passable innings-eater guy.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Stay put unless something ridiculous comes through the inbox.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

edit - That being said: the Cardinals are on board with both Munoz and Feltman for Cozens and Michael Chavis. This is a "mash accept" trade, right?

I'm for it. Chavis is essentially dead weight and I'll miss Cozens' power but ARMS.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FTJ is a loving star 3B. Lock him down. Ten years puts him at 31, and barring any massive injuries (like he literally dies) the savings on his absolutely best years will be significant. See what he'll take.

Put the rest of it into option C. We're trying to run a team that is (arguably) homegrown, and we need to keep that grist mill up if we're gonna do that. Especially when it comes to pitching.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Honestly I'm okay with a QO to Wilson. He's been effective and we can dump him if necessary after a year. Or he can hopefully walk and we get a first-rounder to bolster our Team Homegrown/Wheel-n-Deal aesthetic.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I mean, that's fair, but the QO is going to be a crapshoot anyway. He's been effective enough but we don't know for sure other people want him, that's gonna be up in the air either way. We give him walking papers and we get nothing. He's arguably the top of the FA closer class and is LIKELY to generate interest, but if he doesn't I wouldn't be pissed off to have him on the books for another year.

Or let him walk, hope we can find some more bullpen arms, and sigh plaintively at the first round pick we don't get. :shrug:

edit: I'm not saying hope he stays, I'm saying hope he goes and roll the dice.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Wilson isn't worth a QO

I don't think he makes enough as a FA to get us a 1/2 sandwich pick

I'm just repeating what (I'm pretty sure) bewbies said.

Like I said, I don't really care either way, we'll clearly use whatever we end up with, but I don't think having a solid *~proven closer~* on a year we're intending to go all the way to be the worst place to spend money.

edit:

quote:

For options, the only "option" of sorts is if we want to qualify Justin Wilson on a $16m, one year deal. I'd say its 50/50 he takes it...if he does, we have a $16m/yr closer (which we may be able to trade), if he doesn't we get a 1st round draft pick. If we don't qualify him, he walks for nothing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Make both moves

go for BLAZE

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Coolguye posted:

typically irl the teams have very little control over their venue at all and the primary tool they use to affect change in the venue is "threaten to leave town and go somewhere that will listen"

so i'd find it pretty weird if this game let you mess with ticket prices

Ticket prices to the games are absolutely set by the team. The team pays rent, and all the venue cares is that the rent is paid. As for what degree of the concessions, etc, are staffed by and/or priced by the teams, that's usually on a team-by-team basis. Some venues have their own people staffing the posts, some venues hire/contract it out. It really varies.

In the realm of OOTP, I don't think we can set concession prices and ticket prices aren't particularly granular (or at least they weren't in the most recent one I played, which was 18, I think.) You basically set a single static price at the beginning of the season and that's it. I'm pretty sure it's because the game is focused on simming the baseball and not the actual financials of attendance of every single game.

As for spiting the owner, let's uh... let's not do that. Part of the reason we took the Dads was to moneyball our way to the top anyway. And in the sim sense, we're definitely getting that experience. Running the Twins in OOTP is the same sort of fruitless GIVE US MONEY pleas that being a real life fan (and presumably FO) is like under the Pohlads.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

1. C: Trade Urias for prospects. Let Lugo and Matheny fight for his spot in ST unless one is a clearly better option for some reason.
2. Non-tender Bradley. Sucks but he's cooked.
3. Plan to start Naylor at 1B... for now. Give BLAZE a look in ST. If he's absolutely killing it, start his season in AAA to make sure it's legit and call him up once he's Super Two if he is. If he struggles, then we let him marinate for another year and look for a potential in-season trade that could bring back a rental 1B as needed.

:same:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If Pete says Nagamatsu is the real deal, I have to believe him. Especially if Williams is on the decline and is getting 3m more a year. Next year's arb numbers look gross, but the year after is even worse, and I don't think we can afford to lose FTJ, Mejia, or Quantrill right now.

Glad Urias is gone, sad it was for some beans. Ah well.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Opening Day 2023

We pulled off the trade for Wallner and signed Nagamatsu for 5/45, with a team option the last year.

We're predicted to win 113 games.

Great news: Baez made it back early, and was lights out in spring training. Wallner chucked 2 scoreless innings! Also of note: Big Blaze Jordan OPSed 886 in the spring...he may be ready sooner rather than later. Matt Lugo OPSed 933 in the spring and won the starting 2B job. He appears to have matured into an OBP machine with a plus glove, along with some pop.

Opening Day Lineup:
Royce Lewis, SS
FTJ, 3B
Seth Beer, RF
Masuo Nagamatsu, LF
Matt Wallner, 1B
Frank Mejia, C
Matthew Lugo, 2B
Bryan Reynolds, CF

Opening Day Rotation:
Mackenzie Gore
Trey Wingenter (manager insists on him starting despite his poo poo stamina...I think because his changeup developed into a usable pitch)
Cal Quantrill
Michel Baez
Joey Lucchesi

Bullpen:
Booh (CL)
Feltman
Albertos
Munoz
Wick
Wallner
Suarez
Hudson
Gohara

:parrot:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Definitely staying out of this thread til I get done with class.

DADS.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

OOTP19 is on sale at Steam, btw. $10. You too can be a goony goon baseball spreadsheet nerd!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh Jesus god almighty

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Decline arb on Thairo
Pick up Lucchesi option and shop him
execute trade A and B plus Wingenter
can expose both catchers but if you have a slot for one let's keep Da Cube

Seconded. Agreed also on attempting to retain Gore.

For overall play forward, I think we have to go with option B: there's no way the boss will stop bitching about budget no matter how much we win or how much the fans love or hate us. And they're gonna hate us for getting rid of so many popular players. We're gonna have to probably make decisions on Lewis and Baez next year, so it might be worthwhile to look for SS and pitching in our wheeling and dealing. As long as we're not pulling an Oakland and blowing up the team every single year, I think the fans will bear with losing a couple good guys a year so long as we're bringing in new good popular guys through the system. And honestly I'm pretty alright with our production level: we're first in the league in nearly every single metric and we won the division by 28 games. We scored ~200 runs more than league average and allowed ~200 fewer, including 100 more and less than the nearest team in those respective categories.

We're really, really good y'all. And some of our best players are still locked down: Nagamatsu, FTJ, Mejia, Quantrill, etc. (Maybe we try to lock down Lewis? His arb jump is bonkers, though, and projections look to get even worse for us from there. He's young and productive though. :shrug:)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Beer for Rivera so we can do

Reynolds for Guyer

Lucchesi for Tanner

Hudson for Robinson if possible

Lewis has some ifs, the main one being if he says healthy. I assume we could at least look at buying out his arb, see what he thinks he's worth. If he stays healthy it's great value for us and he's out in his (very expensive) prime, which is good for him. Realistically, though, I think we might have to let him walk next year. It's all about how much he wants to negotiate. Maybe put an appearances clause in there or something.

Speaking of extensions and buyouts, this Wallner kid seems okay? I dunno. We have a lot tied up for the near term and I don't think his arb will be too awful for us unless he continues to mash. I mean he played in 160 games this year. Or we let him walk when he's 31 and out of arb. Whatever.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There’s no way we can afford that Lewis contract, right? $30m AAV is loving insane and eats something like 1/6 of our budget on his own. Unless the owner coughs up another $20m or more out of nowhere we’re kind of stuck, especially after the fan drubbing we’re taking this year. We’d be better off keeping his arb and then letting him walk at that rate and we weren’t even sure we’d do that. drat, son.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I can't think of any AL alignment that doesn't screw over whoever ends up in the West but is east of the Rockies. Why loving San Antonio but not, like, Portland? Or El Paso? Stupid.

As for Lewis, keep him this year and shop him in the offseason for prospects and whatever hole we'll need to fill (Probably SS, of course.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hope you enjoyed your time, Lewis. The rest of us will have a pretty cool time without you I bet. (Don't go to the Yankees or Angels tia)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Unless our market suddenly doubles and the owner then gives us a cut, we have another offseason of selloff coming, and the window probably closes either after next season or the season after that.

That said the selloff should bring back some pretty fantastic prospects.

The main thing I'm going to worry about is the fan backlash of getting rid of a few guys. Lewis is absolutely adored, but we can't keep his arb, and we definitely can't extend him for what he wants. He's going to walk and I'm fine with that, but the fans probably won't be.

As for our window, I think we still have a long stretch of sustained success ahead of us, deep playoff runs, etc, but I don't know that we win it all again after, say, next year. It'll be rough.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

The fans don't run your team.

No but they show up and the owner will flip his poo poo at you if they don’t.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Working for the virtual Pohlads was the worst part of playing as the Twins. I mean, that and Buxton never ever turning out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Keep Chubb and Balsley, bring on LA ENTRENADOR TORTUGA.

With the new budget space we have, I'm less worried about Lewis' contract this year. Keep him around and low-key shop him. Trade Baez immediately. I don't think we're planning on keeping him past arb anyway. (Alternatively, shop Lewis immediately, promote Nova straight out of Lake Elsinore, and keep Baez.) Shop Hudson.

Like I said, I think we're still set for a shot at the playoffs, but we need to restock on new arms especially for the future.

edit: If we can extend Wallner for a reasonable amount, do it. He's bonkers and even if he ends up riding 1B for the end of his contract I don't care.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 25, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mederos seems like the solid choice to me, even if he doesn’t slot in right away. Frazier seems like too much of a lottery ticket.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Velasquez YAY

Wallner YAY (move him to 1B if his glove starts crapping out)

Jordan NAY (see above)

Pitcher YAY (MadBum of Verlander, whoever seems like the better deal according to Pete)

Inspector_666 posted:

God drat we are the coolest team in baseball.

Fuckin' A.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

I mean, elbow debridement aside. Why are pitchers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Wallner updates:

9/8/2025: A great week: 5 dingers in 7 games. 69 on the season, 82 pace.

#70: 9/10, vs Milwaukee. 351 feet.

#71: 9/16, vs Cincinnati. 427 feet.

#72: 9/19, vs Washington. 341 feet.

#73: 9/20, vs Washignton. 392 feet.

He has 14 games to hit #74.

Shiiiiiiiiiit

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Of course it was Chatwood.

The king is dead; long live the king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Good luck and Godspeed, Pete. You’re a hell of a scout I must say.

• Locked thread