Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Waivers, trades, and Rule 5. Bluntly, everyone is doing the Prospect route these days. We're not gonna out-compete anyone in that department. But wheeling and dealing and making canny moves? That sounds like a fun way to GM.

Skill set priorities: Pitching, Starting Pitching, Depth, Speed and Patience, Control. Petco Park is a harsh mistress. It rewards good pitchers and punishes good hitters, so let's play to our strengths.

Tactical Approach: Tactical. Sabermetrics is last year's hotness, the new hotness is utilizing a deep and multitalented bench to get the most out of every matchup (this is also why emphasizing Depth is a good idea). Let's use openers. Let's shift all day long. Let's see if we can build an entire roster out of switch-hitting utility men.

Pete Ward is a Scouting Director, because grizzled old baseball people are always scouts. He's gonna find us some amazing gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

B. Mediocrity and .500 ball will still be an improvement for the Padres.

Also I doubt OOTP models the commentary booth but just in case it does sign Don Orsillo to a lifetime deal

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

If we're going after fat dudes we drat well better make a run at signing Bartolo Colon

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Grab Salinas, trade for Yuli (lose Maton for the payroll savings), and then see if we can squeeze in Eovaldi

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bring up the Big Four; stash Bradley until the trade deadline so we have him waiting in the wings if we make some moves.

In the draft target a college pitcher, preferably one we can aim to get into a starter role. In the supplemental draft target Best Player Available, without regard to positional logjams; if we end up with a trade chip rather than a starter-in-the-waiting, that's fine, we're planning on focusing on trades regardless.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

International signing period - save some cash, target one young stud, aim for a batter - preferable C/2B/SS/3B since we seem to have more outfielders and 1B than we can shake a stick at anyways

Trade Deadline - Option C. Bring Bradley up at the deadline, trade Santana. Keep everyone else, though; see how far we can get.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Holy poo poo we got Chavis for Santana? That is beautiful, I like Michael Chavis a lot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Coaches: Keep our pitching coach, get a new hitting coach. Preferably one that isn't Chili Davis.

Manager: Keep Andy Green. He's not doing so terribly!

2020 strategy: B. We're a young team; we could use a season or two of growth and experience before we start making the Big Move. If we find a few Bargain Stars - like we did with Nasty Nate Eovaldi - then pick them up, but there's no need to overreach too soon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

all right Gerrit Cole, we're getting more players I like because of who they once played for

if we can get Mookie Betts we'll have DCB Bingo

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Get Lewis. We're losing Big Maple after this season anyways; if we can get our Shortstop Of The Future for him that's a no fuckin' brainer.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I am in no way demonstrating my recency bias by saying we should try to trade for Brock Holt ASAP

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Huh, it turns out that if you build a fun exciting team, more people will go watch them. Which means you'll have more money to spend on making a fun exciting team. Go figure.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Stick with C

stay the course

the kids are just gonna get better with another year's seasoning, and the owner'll stop being a tightwad once our ticket sales stay strong

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

B. Pete needs time to work his magic. Plus if Treinen is having a monster year we can always back out and trade him in the offseason.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

bewbies posted:

Will do and good idea!

Lucchesi extension is a DONE DEAL: 4 years, $24 million. This is a bit of a risk as he's coming off of a nasty shoulder injury, but these are the kinds of risks you have to take as a no-market team. If he gets back to where he was last season, that's a massive discount for us.

Munoz and Feltman for Cozens and Chavis is a DONE DEAL. I also got a solid offer on Eovaldi: Jose Rances Suarez isn't our normal fireballing pitching prospect, but he has plus control on a 90-92 fastball and a plus plus changeup. He's a few years out from the bigs but might even work out as a starter someday.

We now have about $20m in cash to play with. There...isn't much on the market. We definitely need a left handed reliver, but other than that, it doesn't look to me like any free agents are any significant upgrades for us...unless we want to pay Trevor Bauer $35m to rehab a bad elbow this season. (I do not)

SO

VOTE

What do we want to do with our leftover cash?

We can:

A: blow it on an elite LHRP. Elite like, Britton, or Will Smith. They'll both take probably 3/50 or something like that. But...talk about a LOOGY...

B: buy out some more arbitration years. Mejia and Urias are the two obvious candidates. Basically, we'd be frontloading their cost a bit...instead of paying them $10+m three years from now (which will badly stretch our finances), we'd be paying them a couple extra mil this season when we can afford it, while taking on some risk that either wet farts out.

C: Dump it all into scouting and player development. The cupboard is definitely emptying, but we still have some quality prospects at the farm. Spending our extra cash in developing the next generation of guys once we inevitably lose some of our current cohort to free agency isn't a bad idea.

B. Keep the kids on board so they'll be established vets and local heroes to lead the new guys to come.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lose whoever it takes whenever it takes to make the money work for Meija, even if we're poor $5m is way too low to get worked up about for a great catcher.

Absolutely this.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I am almost as invested in this dumb fake team of Padres as I am in my own preferred team of Boston Red Sox who are actually playing postseason baseball.

It is awesome. Nagamatsu's gonna rake.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Artix posted:

That was a pretty good narration, big fan of how it turned out

:woop:

:woop: :woop: :woop: Man it's extra satisfying to see the Yankees fail miserably

Regarding average age on a World Series contender: the 2004 Boston Red Sox had an average age of 31.6 (Theo Epstein was all about bringing in veteran leadership), which I *think* is the record. Or at least it's the record in all the teams I was able to find in roughly 60 seconds of Googling; I won't be doing more than 60 seconds, because then it feels like work.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 20, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think any price is too high to add Dick Lovelady to our team :allears:

Seconding this. We are all children.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but Severino should have stayed on the Yankees of the East...The Yankees :(

maybe he wanted to go somewhere he could actually win in the postseason.

(It's just friendly banter don't hate me)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Verlander chasing that ring before he retires. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

His player page says he retired at 46 and his stats say he was 44 in his last season which means for some reason nobody signed him to at least DH coming off a season where he was still on pace for 20+ Dingers and had an OPS well over .800

In my heart he spent a couple of years in Japan because he was bored with MLB and also they offered him all the sushi he could eat (still love you Manny Ramirez).

• Locked thread