Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

prospects, pitching, starting pitching, starters, patience+defense, control, tacticlol, scouting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im sorry i murdered the expos and ate them

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Back when Bartolo was with the Angels there was a game in which he threw like 125 fastballs

for some reason that reminds me of bruce chen, noted panamanian, and his killer 'leftball' that kept him in the majors for like 15 years

btw i have some videos of korean players doing bat flips

this one has incredibly bad background music. you may or may not be amused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ggQf5UP4w

even worse background music but it shows off the bat flips themselves better i spose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQskUmD_eY

korea is a good thing to have around

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lol at jacksonville river sharks. the mighty st johns river. i must admit that googling reveals a freshwater species called the bull shark that's in the river, and someone called captain dave really wants me to pay him to fish in the shark-infested st john's river, so maybe i'm simply Ignorant About Jacksonville

what i associate with the st johns river, though, is manatees. i saw a bunch of them mating in it once. i think the nats just kinda murdered the single-A brevard county manatees IRL by loving over the county wrt the stadium somehow (i think were the baddies) so they shouldve just taken that name

:rip:

even before they killed the team the nats ruined their beautiful marlins teal uniform and stadium (the expos never bothered to change the seat colors when they did spring training there), i'm only showing the old colors in this memorial

:rip:

also, go pads

edit: jacksonville manatees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aJuoYUucUY

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 20, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i hate the idea of 8 4-team divisions because so many divisions will just have 4 lovely teams - the only way to avoid it would be having teams play a large chunk of their schedule against just 3 teams, which i think would get old and wouldn't make the teams better, it'd just make their records look better.

8 team divisions seem like they've worked best in baseball history*, and we could have wild cards these days if we wanted to

*probably not financially but im just talking subjectively as a baseball history nerd here, in the end

i have a spreadsheet where i got VBA to open internet explorer and run whatifsports with custom lineups to simulate an australian football league-style playoff for the top half of the league (different playoff structures for 4-8 teams where the top half of the teams get double elimination/byes) through baseball history (from 1900 to 2008 or whenever i did it). i have results and stats and the worst code i ever wrote, because its how i learned to write code

i don't think it would actually be a good idea to do that, however. baseball isn't supposed to be about playoffs, really, but two 16-team piles where the top teams play seven games isn't a good option so putting one more layer of playoffs in seems fair

in other words

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

concur: ALE, ALW, NLE, NLW

best of three tiebreak for division lead in the event of ties
best of seven between the top team in each division LCS
seven game WS

but i would add some wild cards probably, i think theyve worked pretty well. not a full nfl or aussie rules or otherwise ridiculous system (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_System), but those are kinda fun to make

although i do think double-elimination is a good fit for baseball, i think it works well enough in the ncaa tournament, so i don't think that particular innovation is as frivolous as the other poo poo ive discussed here.

actually now that i think about it, in the end there isn't enough time in the year for more than two proper series to be properly implemented and we're already pushing it with the IRL current mlb structure, but if people want few divisions and lots of playoff slots, maybe having 4 wild cards play an ncaa regional-style double-elim tournament in a long weekend would be a better way to deal with 'em than short series aping the nfl

ohh and interleague play is fine, it's whatever

edit: promotion and relegation

actually we need to take an idea from japan and call one of them the climax series

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 22, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

how about 4 8-team divisions where in each division the 2nd and 3rd place teams play once in the afternoon then again at night if the 2nd place team loses; the winner from that day plays a 5-game series against their first place division opponent starting the very next day? then two 7-game series. everybody could play, like, one doubleheader in the regular season to make up for it

never gonna happen

also never gonna happen; we could give teams in-series handicaps, like series where the top-seeded team has to win 2 games but the lower-seeded team has to win 3. if you could be flexible like that, you could build a system where the playoff structure is determined based on the win %s at the end of the year in a predetermined way, including stuff like this, seeding, and byes. the algorithm could be known before the season and we could project what the playoff system was going to be as the year went on

edit: if you want more than two 7-game series i think you have to reduce the length of the regular season (unless you want to make em play double-headers all the time). if people want to go back to 156 or some poo poo that's cool i guess but it also means very few inter-league and -division games against each specific rival, so i don't think we have time for that

i think the true aussie rules way would be to have 1 v 2 and 3 v 4 in the first round, then the winner of 3 v 4 and the loser of 1 v 2 in the next, then the winner of 1 v 2 plays the consolation round winner in the third round. then the world series would be the fourth round. it's bad to put the best team on a bye for even a 3-game series though*, i guess, that's kind of constraining

* or is it Not Bad? maybe 'rustiness' isn't a real thing, or pitcher health weighs so strongly that rustiness doesn't matter compared to getting your ace to pitch in more games

maybe have a quick two day thing where on the first day 3 plays 4, then the next day 2 plays the winner of 3 v 4, then they play a 5-gamer against their division's #1? i would say that the #1 seed should have to win one fewer game to win the series than the wild card round winner, but people would think it was confusing and stupid. it kinda is

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 22, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

prom/rel is the ultimate wanky fantasy and i love those but again i dont think its really worth supporting especially considering how never it's gonna happen

we've just developed so differently, i think p/r's chance in actuality ended when our entire method of developing talent became based on a minor league tree. replacing it all with soccer-style loans and such would be pretty wacky

as for why it happened in one place and not another, i think the Football League in England had to deal with a strong amateur Football Association, so they folded themselves into the structure, while the National Association then National League in the USGA could kind of just destroy that shamateur national amateur baseball clubs association, or whatever it was. i'm not sure why that was the case but i think i read it in a book like 10 years ago

i think the book might've said the aristocracy were strong enough to keep amateurism well-funded in england while in the gilded age usa there was really no reason for a bunch of businessmen to not form a cabal and corner the market

edit: i feel like baseball will stick around even if its fanbase keeps decaying (is it even decaying idk) just because it provides like 2,430 3 hour + average worth games of content a year that people might not just dvr, plus the postseason. i mean the league kinda hides from football on weekday nights or whatever, i dunno how the broadcasting industry actually works so this point is bullshit, but i figure everything's got its niche

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 22, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also i think the like greek soccer league does a thing where the top 6 or whatever teams play some round-robin stuff (i think mexico might do this and call it a liguilla? probably others?), but i think they give everybody a number of points at the start based on their position, so the top team has to win less games than the others to take home the final trophy. i could imagine that getting adapted

you could do it a little like formula 1 qualifying where there's a stage where the worst 8 teams are dropped, then you play another stage of games until 5-8 go down, then the top 4 play for the win

edit after reading the above: that's also why the Pacific Coast League was big and could hold onto lots of west coast talent; it was labeled as some kind of intermediary quadruple-A quasi-major league right before plane travel and the dodgers/giants hosed the PCL over

also wrt branch rickey, in addition to desegregating baseball and basically creating the idea of the farm system, he also was involved in a 1950's effort at a third major league - i think it would've been called the Continental League - which would place itself in cities like Miami and Denver that were big markets. the NL and AL ended up expanding partly due to this challenge, so i credit branch rickey with a major role in three of the biggest revolutions of the game in the 20th century. the only big thing he missed was being marvin miller, basically

and yeah apparently big countries that use promotion/relegation can end up with stuff like a vladivostok team making the top soccer league in russia and barely struggling along for a few years before they dropped. maybe they're up right now, i don't know. the point is that they have ruinous transportation costs and don't really have an equal shot. i remember reading that the st petersburg team had some fans drive cross-continent for an away game, but their old car broke down, so the team bought them a new one (or maybe it was just train tickets)

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 22, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the other often neglected half of the traditional soccer system, where there's no playoffs, is also having a knockout cup competition. the baseball leagues in the Netherlands and Italy might do this, idk

if the minor league teams were still alive and not farm system puppets it'd be fun to see the Yankees going to like Fresno in early cup rounds and poo poo. we don't need to copy other people's structures though, just like they don't need to copy ours

edit: I do think that if it weren't for people caring about past and present league structures we could shift to promotion relegation on a regional basis or whatever for college sports. i think you could go like English soccer here, go a few levels down and you start having the teams on that level split regionally, but the best of the best would play each other. only having like thirteen drat games would be a handicap but maybe just loving go pro with it like the University associated pro soccer teams in Latin America

the cup competition would be great tho, reminds me of the ranfurly shield or whatever in provincial New Zealand rugby. so the big city winning teams are honor bound to go to rural rear end places and defend their shield by beating whoever 77-7. that could at least give cupcake games some kind of meaning

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 22, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

kensei posted:

oystertoadfish do you still have all the suborbital league stuff? That was amazing.

honestly i think the last i saw of it was years ago when i was on twitter when the :woop: brothers or whoever reposted it. no idea who. i remember it though

i dont have office on this computer and open office wont open my ancient rear end macro spreadsheet so i cant get into the details of what i have right now on that whatifsports thing i mentioned before, it's got eight game series where the high seed has to win 4 but the low seed has to win 5 and a lot of other pointless-to-describe-or-to-have-done details

my favorite part of that one is that i had to do some matrix math before i found out that arrays had been invented before my birth, so i used the row(), mod() and floor() functions in excel to generate a shitload of variables with names like r12c14. i then copy-pasted the spreadsheet to the vba code window. optimal workflow. i wonder what other gems are buried in there

as for the league after suborbital jet travel renders distance meaningless, i do remember outlining a team in taiwan and korea to go along with howeverm many japanese teams i chose to choose in their division. i had some schroedinger's division poo poo going on i think where they could play either league's champions or some poo poo? i dunno. those were the days

edit: i googled it with site:somethingawful.com and i did find you posting this thing i made thanks for saving that for the world

but yeah, i guess search works here now but i think im done for the moment

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 22, 2018

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im always down for ideosyncratic fictional playoffs

i wish i could think of an interesting way to present my archive of whatifsports playoff results, there's a lot of poo poo in there and it might interest people

also im better at coding now but i havent tried running whatifsports via script in a literal decade, is there a better way to quickly run one ahistorical lineup against another on the internet nowadays? or i could build a baseball simulator by scraping the probabilities of every single unique event in the entire historical record from baseball-reference or something...

anyway my other Big Idea was a last name league - team Williams, team Bonds, team Smith, etc etc. i think people would have fun both creating the algorithm by which we select the teams and seeing what kind of stats and results we get. the playoff could be arbitrarily ludicrous

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that was awesome, thanks. it'd be cool to be a beloved millionaire with a mansion in la jolla. IRL during the drought a few years ago billy beane got named and shamed in the papers for using too much water to irrigate his mansion's garden so that would be good to avoid; on the other hand the water was like 80F off of san diego a few months ago, which is probably a horrible sign for billions of people around the world but will probably make that la jolla mansion a really good property (they do tend to be on the top of a fairly nice cliff)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh yeah, did the nats win that one world series or did astro bryce harper? you don't have to screenshot his stats but how'd he end up doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

manny in taiwan was some historic poo poo

gotta google a video up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ST42UpBwM

yeah this is the best home run call ever 'this ball is long gone just like the ex-girlfriend who will never return home run'

thanks for the harper update, and obviously all our dres

did your good work get them a decade of first places after you let it go to automatic or did you keep playing after the lp?

regardless, thanks very much, it was fun. has anybody made a last name team league happen in any form of baseball software?

also i found out that one of the first sports games known to be written was some random thing for a mainframe that used box score stats to create a simulation of the 1960something world series, i feel like with an awesome presentation on both computing and baseball history that could be a good thread. but i dont know how to pull it off

• Locked thread