Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

About the Game

Out of the Park is almost certainly the most detailed and accurate sports management sim (NOT GAME) out there right now. It is made by baseball nerds, for baseball nerds, with all of the absurd detail level you'd expect from a team of computer programmers who love baseball. Note: if you love baseball, or management-style games, or both, you should give it a try.

In this thread base ball goons will manage a fake Major League Baseball team through the POWER OF DEMOCRACY. I'm envisioning this thread being like a town hall, and any idiot who wants to can chime in with his or her thoughts on how to do things. Baseball goons in general are smart and well informed about the sport, but actually managing a fake team, especially when a bunch of other people are trying to do the same thing, might be harder than we are all thinking. A couple of things to keep in mind:

- We'll vote on a team strategy, so try and keep suggested proposals in-line with what we're trying to do. It doesn't HAVE to be, but strategies are strategies for a reason.

- We are the GM, and only the GM. This means our job is to implement an overall team strategy, hire/fire the manager and coaches, and manage the roster and team finances. Team tactics, like lineups, pitching rotations and so on, are handled by the manager that we hire.

- The game is hard. The trading AI is difficult to the point of obnoxiousness, player performance can vary wildly, and INJURIES after INJURIES. In other words, it is just like real life.

How This Will Work

I'm planning to run the sim three days a week, running two months of the season each time. This means we'll finish roughly a season a week. I'll adjust this if necessary, but this seems about right to me. I will post image updates in this thread, plus upload all of the relevant game files for everyone to browse. League website is HERE: note, this is the leftovers from our OOTP be-a-player last year, feel free to browse things and get a feel for the game if you're not familiar with it already.

Anyone can participate! You all are the GM. All you need to do make a PROPOSAL on something that we should do with our team. If a couple of people support your PROPOSAL, I will do my best to make it happen in-game. To support or reject a PROPOSAL, just quote it, and vote aye or nay. If a PROPOSAL gets a net three votes, I'll try and make it happen.

PROPOSALS can be just about anything. The more specific you are, the more likely I'll be able to make it happen, but it doesn't have to be specific. Some example PROPOSALS:

- Trade for a two to three star LHP with at least a year of team control left
- Trade Lucas Duda for whatever we can get, because he sucks
- Trade Paulo Orlando for Mike Trout, because he is good
- Promote Heath Fillmyer from AAA, because he has to be better than Jason Hammel

...and so on

Some of these are easy to do, some are not so easy. If it gets the votes, I'll try and do it.

I will also occasionally call for VOTES. This is when the team requires a decision. Examples of VOTES include things like our team strategy, whether or not we retain a manager, coach or player, who we should target in trades or free agency, or what kind of player we should target in the draft. Example VOTE:

- Do we retain Ned Yost as manager?

nay

Miscellaneous Crap

Settings, for OOTP veterans:
- "high/realistic" injury setting
- Trading AI is "hard" and "favor prospects"
- Player development is standard, but aging is slowed to .750
- Standard MLB rules, but "league evolution" is on, so the league will change as time goes on
- Inflation at 2-4% per year

We'll start our tenure right at the end of the 2018 season.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The first thing we must decide is what team to we want to run?

Here are my six nominees, with an overview of each. Each team is very different, and provides a different set of challenges, which is why I picked them. Please provide your top two, in order.

Atlanta Braves

The Braves are loaded for a dynasty. They have the league's most electric young hitter, a potentially elite pair of middle infielders, one of the game's best prospect pipelines, loaded with big young arms, a superstar on a reasonable contract, and good depth everywhere in the organization. They weren't supposed to be this good this fast, but here we are. They have a big market, and a lot of both money and payroll space, but kind of an rear end in a top hat owner.

Los Angeles Angels

The Angels are at a crossroads. Everything about the team is bad, except for that which is wonderful: they have two elite young players, including the game's best player. However, he's a free agent shortly. So...do we go all in around him, or do we send him off for a kings' ransom? They're in a big market, and have a lot of money, but a lot of it is tied up in the game's biggest, fattest anchor. Their farm system is bare, and their roster is just...bad.

Los Angeles Dodgers

The Dodgers are basically baseball on easy mode. They have a good, deep lineup, a good rotation, a great farm system, more money than they know what to do with...so, why can't they win a series? Can we help them get over the hump?

Miami Marlins

Everything the Dodgers are, the Marlins ain't. They have no good players, no money, no good prospects, a bad owner, a lovely stadium, and a small market. They traded away the game's best outfield for peanuts, and have nothing good going on anywhere. This is a very serious challenge.

Milwaukee Brewers
The Brewers are another team at a crossroads. They're a good team, with a bunch of good-to-very-good players. They are going to contend for at least another year or two, but after that, will face an aging, expensive roster, a lovely farm system, and a relatively small market. Do we prop the door open for another couple of years, or blow it up and start from scratch?

San Diego Padres

The Padres are like the Marlins in a lot of ways. They suck, they have no money, no fans, a small market, and a poo poo owner. What they DO have is the best pipeline in baseball. It is deep, diverse, and very exciting. Can we win a series with this young guns, despite having no money? Can we build up a fanbase in a city that has never really had one?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 4, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like the Padres are the winner over the Angels, JUST BARELY.

The Boston Red Sox defeated the Chicago Cubs in a 6 game classic. Kris Bryant was your World Series MVP, slashing a ridiculous .429/.538/1.095. (note: I ran the season starting 1 September, so from that point on it is an alternate reality)

The date is now November 1, 2018. Following an abysmal 66-96 season, we've just been hired as the General Manager of the San Diego Padres.

We have to decide some Very Important Things. Please provide your votes as appropriate. Note: these broad strategy decisions will be put to a vote every other year, should we want to change anything.

VOTE

What is our approach to team building?

This question determines the biggest chunk of our strategy: what is our preferred method of acquiring new players? This isn't meant to be exclusive (ie, we'll still sign free agents even if we're building through prospects), but it does determine how we'll focus our efforts, particularly scouting. PICK ONE, ONLY ONE.

1) Build through prospects. We draft well, hoard our prospects jealously, trade for prospects as much as we can and patiently wait for them to emerge as big leaguers. Note: everyone does this now, so it can be very hard to stockpile prospects and beat other teams in development.

2) Build through waivers, trades, and Rule 5. We look for young guys other teams undervalue, who are past the prospect stage, and collect them like cigar butts, seeing if any are the next Max Muncy or Johan Santana . Note: this is, for example, how the A's are doing it these days.

3) Sign undervalued veterans. We wait patiently until late in the winter, and then try and snag veteran free agents who flew under the wire. Cheap deals on quality pros like Mike Moustakas, for example.

4) Sign star players. We pay the big money to get proven players. We pay Bryce Harper his $400 million.

What skillsets do we emphasize?

Several questions here broadly determine how we prioritize different parts of our roster. This of course does not mean that we forgo pitchers if we choose hitting, but it does mean we'll spend more of our limited resources on hitters.

1. Pitching or hitting?

2. Starting pitching, or bullpen?

3. Starters, or depth?

4. Pick two: power, speed, patience, defense

5. Pick one: velocity, control

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

note: this is ultimately up to the manager, but we are the ones who hire the manager

1. Smallball. Steals, hit and run, pinch runners, etc.

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

3. Tactical. Shifts and matchups, all day long.

Here are some info pages to help you make your decision:

Current financial situation. It isn't great, but it could be worse. We're cutting a lot of costs in scouting and development.

Salary breakdown:

Our ballpark stats. 1.000 is average.

Hitter stats from 2018:

Pitcher stats from 2018:

And finally, the GOOD NEWS. BEHOLD

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
One more VOTE

As we're sitting at our desk, a man comes through the door to our office, knocking the dust of the trail off his jacket.

"You got yourself into a fine mess here, didn't you? Well, I'm here to help. Name is Pete Ward, and I am the greatest ________ in the world."

What is Pete's job?
1. Hitting Coach
2. Pitching Coach
3. Scouting Director
4. Trainer

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

New Concept Hole posted:

E: I was going to say waivers since that's an undervalued avenue, but that'd be a waste of our amazing Scouting Director

not to influence anyone to vote one way or another, but you can allocate your scouting resources away from amateurs and towards minor leagues and MLB, so a competitive advantage in scouting won't be necessarily wasted if we try another approach

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
After spending a sleepless night at our desk, after poring over reams of advanced stats and youtube clips of all of our players, we've decided that the following strategy best fits our new franchise.

We will continue to carefully hoard and develop prospects. We went all in with this approach a couple of years ago, and it has paid off so far in our flagship farm system. We can only hope that our sterling prospects mature into a championship team like the Astros or Royals.

We will focus on hitting. This makes sense given our limited resources - it is always easier to find value in hitters. Our current lineup though...yikes.

We will focus on our starting pitchers, and our starters. This falls right in line with the load of power arms in our system.

We will focus on power and patience with our hitters. We want guys who will either get on base, or club the ball.

We will focus on velocity with our pitchers. Given the spacious confines of our ballpark, fastball pitchers with a high flyball rate look great.

Our preferred tactical approach is tactics (good sentence, that). We will seek to find matchups, swap pitchers easily, shift and change and everything else to get every statistical edge we can.

There's a knock at the door...

"Did you make up your mind, sonny?"

"I need you to be my new scouting director, Pete."

"You got it, chief."

He tips his hat as he turns to leave.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
VOTE

Our next step is to decide what to do with our current team personnel.

ASSISTANT GM: AJ Preller. This was the guy who got demoted when we got hired. He was largely responsible for our current farm system, but also hasn't had any on-field success as of yet. He's probably not going anywhere as he has three years left on a $788,000/yr deal, but there ARE some VERY INTERESTING potential assistant GMs out there, including Theo Epstein, Billy Beane, and Paul DePodesta. We'll have to pay big money to get one of them on board, though

MANAGER: Andy Green seems like a capable guy, but he's very conventional in his thinking. He's had a rough first three years, but he hasn't had much to work with in that time. He's on a $912,000 contract for three more years. If we want to let him go, there are some very interesting replacement candidates out there, including Dusty Baker, Joe Girardi, Buch Showalter, Don Mattingly, and MIKE MATHENY.

PITCHING COACH: Darren Balsley got some good work out of a poo poo staff. He's all about generating ground balls though, which may not necessarily jive with our team strategy. He's on a relatively cheap contract through next year.

HITTING COACH: Matt Stairs actually had some limited talent to work with, and got next to nothing out of it. His approach to the game matches up well with our team strategy though. Another concern is that his reputation for working with youngsters is not great, which doesn't bode well for our incoming prospects.

Do we want to replace any of our key personnel?
Assistant GM
Manager
Pitching Coach
Hitting Coach

Mark McGwire just left as bench coach; I will hire a replacement as who cares about the bench coach.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 5, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
VOTE

I can't imagine anyone will care, but if we want to withdraw arbitration from any of the following, say so. None are over 2m.
Erlin
Capps
Yates
Spangenberg
Szczur
Jankowski

Do we want to either qualify or extend Freddy "-1.3 WAR" Galvis? He wants around $7m AAV for 3 years.

Finally, does anyone have any PROPOSALS?

Try to offload Hosmer or Myers?
Trade for anyone or anything?
Offload anyone else?

If you do, start your post with PROPOSAL so we can all see it!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Any chance you could show us what the farm looks like? I was thinking about proposing buying low on a SP with some upside (Gray, Duffy, etc) to fortify the rotation but if we've got a ton of young arms primed to go then it's not worth it.

There is a view of our farm in the pic dump I put up earlier. I'll upload the entire game file later today so you all can get way into the weeds.

VOTE

We sent out some feelers for a new hitting coach, and have four potential alternatives to Stairs:

Morgan Burkhart. Currently, our AAA affiliate hitting coach. He did fairly well in El Paso last year and states his approach is to develop power in young hitters.

Matt Treanor. He has minimal coaching experience but is very personable and will be well-liked by the youngsters. He is all about teaching the batter's eye. He's also married to a very attractive beach volleyball player.

Bill Mueller has an excellent reputation after years with the Dodgers, Cubs, and Cardinals. He's all about the power, regardless of age.

Kunitaro Kato enjoyed a long successful career in Japan. He's coached some of their power hitters, but isn't known for his work with youngsters.

Vote either to keep Stairs, or for one of these guys. The rest of the staff stays on.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
League website up HERE.

Padres Homepage

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
VOTE

After carefully shopping Hosmer, this is where we're at.

A. We can trade him straight up for the guys you'd imagine...Heyward, Yasmany Thomas, Tyler Chatwood, etc. The only interesting straight up trade is for Carlos Santana, who is older, a worse fielder, but is still a hell of a hitter, and only on a 3 year contract that is also cheaper (15m/15/17m or something).

B. If we eat 25% of his salary, we can basically just offload him for nothing. I can probably swing a mediocre shortstop or something.

C. If we eat 50% of his salary, we can get something of limited value back, like a 3 star RP or a 2 star SP.

Hosmer is still a decent player, he's just way overpaid. I'd bank him to bounce back to the 2 to 3 win range next year. He's half our salary though, and after boosting our developmental, draft, and international budgets to the league average, we have very little money left for any new players.

I'm tempted by A and B.

No one will take Myers for love or money, so we're stuck with him for the time being.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chatwood's got great stuff and four plus pitches, but can't throw strikes. Maybe we can coach him up, maybe we can't. Right now, he's a fringe starter, and we got plenty of them.

My thoughts: Santana will start at 1B for us if we trade Hos, and he won't be terrible value there. He'll also be easier to trade at the deadline because his contract is so much smaller. I don't think anyone will trade anything for Chatwood unless he has a major breakthrough, which isn't likely.

Santana is more expensive though: he's 15/17/17.5/17.5 (team option) compared to Chatwoods 12.5/12.5/13.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 5, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our hand shakes as we pick up the phone to make our first trade.

"I'm interested in Santana for Hosmer"

Matt Klentak: "SOUNDS GOOD LETS DO IT"

"Get a couple of prospects thrown in there, sonny. Ask about Cozens and Hammer"

"Throw in Cozens and Hammer and you have a deal"

"Too much. Throw in a couple of prospects."

"Take back some salary, then, Matt. You have plenty"

"Do it, kid"

Eric Hosmer and 3 one star prospects for Santana (25% retained), Dylan Cozens (MLB ready left hand power bat), and JD Hammer, 3 star RP prospect.

A good deal perhaps, but the fans are livid.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
He's a fastball/slider righty, 91-93, plus plus on both pitches. Only concern is he's 24 and probably at least a year out.

Think we just got Wild Thing II

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
With our first BIG TRADE under our belts, it is time to move forward with building our roster for 2019.

VOTE

What is our strategy for this season?

A. Another tank year; don't care about winning. Keep piling prospects, don't call up any elite guys.

B. Play .500 ball. Will probably require us to sign some vets and call up at least a couple of MLB ready prospects to get there.

C. Make the playoffs. We'll have to spend some money and call in all the reinforcements we have...and probably still not get there.

Our owner's only instructions are "not suck completely".

I feel like we need to start building some fan interest if we're ever going to get some money to play with, and that will require winning some games.

Next sim will go through arbitration and the start of free agency. Consult here for a list of upcoming free agents. Note if there is someone specific you want to target, or just say a position and a skill level (1 to 5 stars). Right now we only have about $12m to spend.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Escobar would be a good 2B or 3B signing, but he'd be a poo poo tier defender at short. We'll keep an eye on him when FA starts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

propose we trade for a young cost controlled shortstop like an adalberto mondesi from our pile of prospects

This has some potential. Here's a list of guys:

Adalberto Mondesi: ML ready, high ceiling, potential to be a plus defender. May be prohibitively expensive.
Addison Russell: no probably not
Thairo Estrada: league average hitter, plus defender, should be pretty easy to acquire
Richard Urena: currently a slightly below league average hitter but with some upside. Average defender. Cheap.
Tommy Edman: also a little below average bat but with some upside. also average defender. Very cheap.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

New proposal

see how expensive it would be to pry Ohtani away from the Angels :getin:

I began negotiations with our top 5 prospects..two in the top 5, and all in the top 30. I was laughed at

LAUGHED AT

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will target Bartolo Colon and Cube Catcher in free agency.

After harsh negotiations, we're bringing in Thairo Estrada and Tommy Edman to compete for the starting SS spot.

Estrada cost us newly acquired JD Hammer, Austin Hedges (sold in anticipation of Mejia and Cube being our C tandem), and two nothing prospects. Edman cost us Jordy Barley, a 3 star middle infield prospect.

Along with Estrada, we got Matt Sauer, a 3.5 star bullpen/emergency starter prospect the Yankees took in the 2nd round last year.

Forwarding now to free agency!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
BARTOLO RETIRED. I am sorry.

Cube Catcher has a 3 year/3m offer (with team option 3rd year) on the table. He should unironically be a nice addition, he can play the field as well and is a heck of a contact hitter.

VOTE

Pitcher targets:

Corbin wants 9/114
Eovaldi wants 3/24
Gio Gonzalez wants 5/62
Charlie Morton wants 4/40
Cahill wants 3/16
Ernesto Cagolla, Cuban expat with 4 plus pitches, 95-97 fastball, and mediocre stamina. He wants 4/23.

We have $12m to spend on free agents this offseason. Note that for some of these guys, we'll be able to negotiate them down a bit.

For all other positions, I suggest we wait until the preseason begins to make any offers. However, if there's anyone else you want me to target specifically, or a position/ability level, PROPOSE!

Also for your consideration: Juan Salinas, another Cuban expat. He's 29, and wants 8/138. However, he's an elite hitter (think in the Bryce Harper class....300/400/550-ish) while being a plus plus defender in right, including an absolute cannon arm. We could probably work out a contract for him...IF WE WANTED TO, but it will be expensive.

edit - lol forgot a 1 in there, that makes a big difference

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

How much can we backload that Salinas contract? If we can give him maybe $10m over the first 3 years then after that we could be in a position to either build around him or flip him.

Quite a bit. Which, is of particular relevance, because...

VOTE

We got an offer on Wil Myers! Yuli Gurriel for him, straight up. He's owed 10m this year and 8m next year. The lovely thing is, Myers contract isn't super-backloaded until NEXT year, which means we'd lose 7m in salary THIS year. After that though, his 20m a year in perpetuity is the Astros problem.

I can get the Astros to take back half Yuli's salary, leaving us 10m, but that'll cost us Maton (3 star RP)

Guerriel is still a VERY good hitter...probably tops out at 300/350/500, while being a mediocre defensive 3B.

Artix posted:

Is that 12m in addition to Cube Catcher's contract or including that money? It's only a mil this year, but that might change the calculus on our pitching targets.

Offer is already in on the Cube. 12m is what we have left.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
FREE AGENCY UPDATE

It is currently the day before Spring Training starts.

- Sent off Myers for Yuli. Threw in Villanueva as he wouldn't be starting anyway, in order to get the Astros to take back 50% of Yuli's salary.
- Signed Cube Catcher to 3/3m.
--Signed Eovaldi to 3/21, with TO in 3rd year (this is a great deal)
- I was hoping to be able to sign Salinas to a backloaded deal before the rest of the league noticed him, but they did, and he got a pile of money from the Brewers.
- Snagged a "Dominic Smith" in Rule 5, is a young left handed power bat who might be useful as a platoon 1B/OF. ...wish we had a DH....

Due to higher than expected ticket sales, we were given an extra 4 MILLION DOLLARS.

VOTE

Free Agents

There are some VERY interesting options still out there unsigned.

Zach Britton
Andrew Miller
Cody Allen
Jerry Blevins
Charlie Morton
Josh Donaldson

We have about $7m to play with.

I don't think we can afford Donaldson, and we have both a current and future 3B anyway. Still, if we want, we can try to squeeze him in on a 3-4 year backloaded deal. We can probably squeeze in BOTH Britton AND Miller/Allen/Blevins on short term deals, probably 2-3 year deals with more money in years 2-3. These guys would be great trade chips, or alternatively if they stay healthy we'll have one hell of a bulllpen.

Or, we could just bank the money to take on some salary in a deadline deal later in the season.

Or, we could trade for someone who makes some money. I'm open to ideas. Justin Smoak and MadBum are on the trading block...Smoak is pretty drat good, but then I have no idea what we'd do with Santana.

What do we plan to do with the following prospects? Vote for "stay up" or "more seasoning" if you disagree with my take.

- Tatis Jr (known forward as FTJ): probably a year away. Should we try and keep him at SS, or move him to 3B? He'll be either a mediocre defensive SS or a great defensive 3B. He needs time at 3B though.
- Mejia: probably ML ready, slotted as a backup behind Cube for ST, will likely end up starting
- Michel Baez: probably needs some more minors time to work out his control, but MAN is he exciting...6'7, fastball/slider/change, 96-98 mph
- Cal Quantrill: borderline ML ready
- Luis Urias: borderline ML ready, slotted in as starting 2B

Also, what a farm system this is.

Spring Training lineup:
Margot CF
Urias 2B
Gurriel 3B
Renfroe RF
Santana 1B
Astudillo C
Cozens LF
Cordoba SS

ST Rotation:
Eovaldi
Lucchesi
Richard
Strahm
Lauer
Erlin

Bullpen
Maton (CL)
Wingenter
Capps
Yates
Stock
Makita
Wick

...and a bunch of others including Quantrill

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Other league news:

Harper went to Houston for only 4/84. He's getting paid about the same as Myers, lol. I can't believe he went for that low, we could have been in on that!
Machado went to the Yankees for 7/168
Pollock went to the Cubs for 7/120. lol
Kershaw extended with the Dodgers for 6/242

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Artix posted:

Sounds like a plan to me. As for our prospects, do we have any other notable SS depth behind FTJ? If we do let's move him to third and see if we can create another Machado.

We have a ton of SS depth...3 borderline-ready quality ML prospects (Cordoba, Estrada, Edman) and a couple more decent ones (3 star) in the pipeline (Almanzar, Arias).

Morton priced us out in a hurry, but I have offers in with Miller (3/15) and Britton (3/23). Both are cheap first year deals with 2 option years.

edit - well, we got badly priced out of all those guys, so

I did get a nice deal on Justin Wilson (3/14), and am still negotiating with Jake Diekman.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Time to decide our FINAL ROSTER for the year!

VOTE

My proposed roster moves, aside from waiving/sending down a bunch of replacement level guys:

- Mejilla: to AAA until his Super Two date passes, then call him up assuming he's slugging in AAA. Cube and Rafael Lopez are a decent C pair in the meantime.
- Urias is ready to start at 2B. Thairo Estrada won SS in the spring. Both seem ready to go.
- FTJ to AA, as a 3B.
- Quantrill to AAA as a starter until at least after Super Two day.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We called Urias into the office and told him he's starting the season in El Paso. There's now a big hole in the wall behind our desk.

VOTE

This spring, we had 4 quality outfielders emerge: Cordero, Margo, Cozens, and Renfroe. Cordero, Margo, and Cozens are the three opening day starters. I am of the mind we should swap one -- probably Renfroe -- for a prospect or a youngster at another position.

"I got three possibilities for you, kid"

Bobby Bradley. 22 year old 1B. Kid has mammoth power. Huge power. Decent hitter otherwise, passable defense. Not yet on a ML deal.

Corey Ray. 24 year old CF. Plus fielder, plus speed, potential to develop into a 280/330/450 kind of hitter. Maybe better than Margot right now, but doesn't solve the logjam in the OF. Not yet on a ML deal.

Riley Ferrell. 25 year old reliever. Absolutely killer slider, 96 mph fastball, ML ready now, poential future closer. He's a righty though, and our bullpen is pretty full of righties at the moment.

Or, we could keep Renfroe. OF depth is never bad, and he will get some playing time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bradley for Renfroe, DONE DEAL

Bradley starting in AA, but he could definitely see the show this year

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Stepping out of character, with people concerned about long-term considerations like Super 2s etc., how long do sims like this usually last considering OP's availability, thread interest, how far into the future OotP stays reasonably playable?

I'm planning to go for at least 7 seasons or so. This isn't much work compared to BAP, so we'll see if we want to continue after that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Wait did we get Dom Smith from The Mets in that Rule 5? Please say yes.

Also yes, Get Bradley. ALL THE POWER.

Yep sure did. Mets gonna met.

We have a lot of power at the first bag now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
And the 2019 Season is ready to go!

We had a decent Spring Training - 17-11 I think, but we're still picked to finish last in the NL West. Predicted record is 76-86.

Farm system is still #1 by a mile..our lineup in El Paso might be better than the one in SD. Two in the top ten, 4 in the top 20, 8 in the top 50, 18 in the top 200. Vlad Jr is one of the best propects I've seen, and he's starting the year in the show. FTJ is #2, and is in AA.

Indians are the hot pick for World Series Champs.

League website is HERE, upload should be finished soon so you can take a look at the MLB OF THE FUTURE.

I will do the first 2 month sim later this afternoon.

Opening Day Lineup:
Margot, CF
Cozens, RF
Gurriel, 3B
Santana, 1B
Astudillo, C
Cordero, LF
Pirela, 2B
Estrada, SS

Opening Day Staff:
Eovaldi
Lucchesi
Richard
Strahm
Perdomo

Wintergenter (CL)
Maton
Wilson
Capps
Wick
Yates
Lamet

...still waiting on loving Diekman to sign his deal so we'll have another quality lefty arm in the pen.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I know they're high on Peter Alonso right now, but yeesh. I assume we can't get a look at their 40-man as of the draft to see who they protected instead?

http://www.cowace2.com/OOTP/OOTP/teams/team_49_roster_page.html

um...Wilmer?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
May 31, 2018

19-30, .388
5th place, NL West

We haven't gotten the wins, but things don't look too bad. Yuli, Margot, and Santana are all playing well, as is Allen Cordoba. Cube Catcher had a tough start, but has turned it on lately. Our starting pitching has been rough...Eovaldi has been as good as advertised, but Strahm and Perdomo have been smelly and Richard was awful until he went down for the year with a back injury.

Baez and Quantrill are playing very well in AAA, as are Urias and Mejia. I'm thinking we bring all 4 up on or around June 15. Bobby Bradley....has already smashed 26 home runs. He's on pace for 75. Bring him up too? Or wait until the deadline and we can move Santana then?

I think we're probably on track for a .500 finish, but we'll need to get some good production from the young guys when they come up.

Upload should be finished shortly.

Also, I keep forgetting to change the numbers to 20-80, will do that next upload.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 6, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ATTENTION

We have the 7th overall pick in the upcoming draft, as well as a pick early in the supplemental 1st. Who do we want to target? Either take a look at the draft pool, or you can describe a player type ("big arm high school pitcher" "power corner bat" etc) and we'll go from there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
DRAFT RESULTS

With the 7th overall pick, we took Seth Beer, OF (note: irl he signed HOU last year, not sure why he got recycled). He suits our team philosophy perfectly: huge power, lots of walks, mediocre defense. Projects as a middle order power hitter and a 1B or corner outfielder. He's 22 and could be ready to go as soon as next season.

With the last pick in the supplemental 1st, we took HS SS Caiden Matheny. 5 tool guy with plus defense. Projects as a big league shortstop with plus defense and a league average bat.

With our 3rd round pick, we took Hunter Barco, HS pitcher. 6'3 with a 94 mph fastball and a killer curve, but a long way to go in controlling it. So, not that interesting as a pitcher...but he is ALSO a decent big league OF prospect, with plus power as a corner OF.

WIth our 4th round pick we took Tyler Dyson, college pitcher with a plus fastball and slider. Projects as a big league reliever or possible starter if he develops a good third pitch.

With our 5th round pick we took Cody Freeman, a glove-first infield prospect.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Notes:
We lost Allen Cordoba for 2 months to an ankle injury, so we had to call up Urias. He had some service time last year too, so he'll almost certainly be Super Two.

Called up Baez, Quantill, and Mejia on June 15th. Quantrill slides into the rotation, Baez into the pen for some reason, and Mejia as our starting catcher.

Just like that, we win 8 in a row. Then lose Urias for 6 weeks to a broken hand. We also lost Diekman for the season to a back injury, which sucks not only for our bullpen but that's a lost trade chip.

FTJ promoted to AAA after slashing 287/362/525 in AA. He'll be ready to go this year, if we want to give him the call.

VOTE

The international signing window starts in early July. Do we:

- Spend to the cap, or save the cash?
- Blow it all on one fantastic looking 16 year old, or spread it out among some mediocre guys?
- Target a pitcher, or a hitter?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 7, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ALL STAR BREAK 2019

Record is 45-52, .464, 3rd place, NL West.

Eovaldi and Yuli are our all stars. Injuries have really hurt us: 3 key relievers and three regular starters are on the DL.

VOTE

We need to decide our trade deadline strategy.

Do we:

A - Go all in for the playoffs. We are currently 7 games out of a wildcard spot, and have more trade chips than any team in baseball.

B - Stay put with our current guys?

C - Trade off our vets, and bring up more blue chippers?

D - Trade off vets, and bring up replacement level guys?

As for our possible trade chips:

Carlos Santana has hit well this season but has essentially no trade value. We could offload him for nothing though, and bring in Bobby Bradley, who has been ludicrous in AAA.

Yuli Guerriel has been our best player, and could probably bring back a decent roster player or a couple of prospects. FTJ is sitting behind him and is probably ready to go...if we want to start his clock now.

Nate Eovaldi has been fantastic for us. He could bring back an elite prospect. However, he's on a VERY team friendly (7m) deal with two years left after this one.

Justin Wilson has also been brilliant as our closer. He could bring back a decent prospect. His salary goes up to 6m next year, but it is on a team option.

Upload will be completed soon.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Here's what I can do for you, kid...

Only the Red Sox called back about Carlos Santana. Good news is they offered Michael Chavis, who looks like a solid bat at 3B to backfill for Guerriel until FTJ gets the call. I took that one on your behalf.

Justin Wilson brought back some interesting offers:

- Corbin Burnes, RHP, #69 overall prospect. Probably ML ready now, has a plus slider and tops out at a #3 guy in the majors

- Yadier Alvarez, RHP, #55 overall prospect. 99 mph heater and plus slider, but needs to develop a 3rd pitch to be a reliable MLB starter. ETA is next season at the earliest.

- Justin Williams, RF. ML ready, just got the callup. He slashed 324/360/621 in AAA this season, is a doubles machine as a corner OF. Possible future all-star in the mold of a Markakis.

Yuli Guerriel only brought one interesting offer: Dakota Hudson, a major league ready RHP from the Twins. He doesn't have great stuff but is a groundball machine. He's a 4/5 starter today, and could be #3 guy by next season.

Nate Evoaldi only brought one interesting offer: Jamie Callahan, a top shelf RP prospect. He throws a 95 mph cutter, and that's it. It is all he needs.

Your move, kid. What do we do?

Note:

Seth Beer enters as the #4 prospect, and we signed Marco Luciano as our international free agent. He is a free-swinging 18 year old 5 tool SS prospect who projects as a high avg/60+ XBH hitter and an average fielder at SS. He cost the whole kaboodle though, $5m. He enters as the #12 prospect and is hitting 283/400/478 in the DSL right now.

So, the cupboard is restocked, for now...keep the treadmill rolling.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 8, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Santana, Guerriel, and Wilson are now GONE.

For them we got:

Dakota Hudson
Carlos Aguiar (17 y/o 3 star OF power bat)
Gabriel Maciel (20 y/o 3 star speed-first CF), also he's Brazilian
Justin Williams
Michael Chavis

Called up Hudson, Williams, and Chavis, plus BIG BAT BRADLEY

LETS GO SECOND HALF

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 Season in Review

75-87, .463, 3rd place NL West

We went into this season with two goals: a .500 record, and keep working on the farm. We came close to a .500 record, and we did a great job of landing more quality prospects.

THE GOOD
- We offloaded two horrible contracts in their entirety
- We acquired three quality ML-ready prospects: Bradley, Williams, and Hudson
- We acquired two more top 10 prospects league-wide: Beer and Luciano
- Mejia and Quantrill both look like the real deal, potential all stars
- Nate Eovaldi was a great signing: almost 200 quality innings and 4 WAR for only 7m, with two more years left
- FTJ had a great year at both AA and AAA, and looks like the kind of prospect who will step into the majors at an all star level
- Mackenzie Gore emerged as an elite pitching prospect: 4 plus pitches, 96 mph heater. He also OPSed .657 in AA as a stand-in 1B. He may be ready to go next season.

THE BAD
- We still suck
- Luis Urias had a bad, injury prone season
- Joey Lucchesi and Matt Strahm were not great. Nor was Phil Maton.

VOTE

First, we need to decide about two key staff: pitching coach Darren Balsley, and hitting coach Morgan Burkhart. Both got good performances out of some players, but overall, the team's performance in both areas was poor. How much of this was due to poor coaching, and how much to lack of talent?

Do we offer an extension to one, both, or neither?

Second, manager Andy Green. This is his 4th season in a row below .500, but again, how much is he to blame? He's still due two years at almost a million bucks. Do we fire him, or retain him?

Third: what is our strategy for the 2020 season?

A. Tank year. Keep piling prospects, don't call up any prospects until Super Two Day to include FTJ.

B. Try to play .500 ball, again. This is probably at least a .500 team right now, especially with FTJ starting the year at 3B, so we can do this without much effort. It'll basically just be a year waiting for the young core to get better.

C. Make the playoffs. We will field the best team we can and try to overtake the Evil Dodger Empire. We'll have quite a bit of money to spend in free agency: right now our payroll is the lowest in MLB, by a lot.

...or, something else?

Finally: is there any player we should not offer arbitration to (probably Jankowski at a minimum)? And should we exercise Diekman's $4m option? (I say no: he's on the back end of his career and he was bitching about wanting to leave before he got hurt)

League website HERE. Take a look at the regular season results and the upcoming free agents! Next sim will include the playoffs, award winners, and so on, but wanted to stop it here so we could make decisions about coaches and player options.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 8, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Arb guys the ones with (A) next to them in the 2020 column?

Yep. The number is the predicted arb settlement.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

As far as the manager question goes, who is available to us?

Prominent unemployed guys are Kirk Gibson and Jerry Manuel, but there will be a postseason bloodbath after the series is over that should give us some more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's our offseason strategy.

We will extend Balsley for 3 years. Burkhart is gone. We hired Matt Treanor to El Paso last year...is he our first choice for replacement? He fits the bill and did great in El Paso, although he had probably the best AAA lineup of all time. Alternatively, we can pursue a new hitting coach, but Treanor is on the hook for a poverty-level salary through 2023 so he's about as low risk as they come.

We will target a .500 record again, building fanbase and letting the young guys develop for a year. We will target bargains in the free agent market, focusing on rebuilding the bullpen, starting pitching, and possibly a SS either through a bargain trade or free agency. We will call up FTJ after a couple of weeks, because we're cruel and want to cost him millions.

HOWEVER

VOTE

There are two elite young-ish starting pitchers hitting the market this offseason: Chris Sale (30 years old) and Gerrit Cole (29 years old). Is there any interest in targeting either of them? We are probably looking at a 7-8 year deal in excess of 20m AAV for either, but either could be a HUGE asset when we finally do make our push, and guys like that don't hit the market every year.

Another interesting potential move: Whit Merrifield is on the trading block. He's loving good. He just slashed 326/401/501 while playing average defense at 2B and stealing 29 bags. He's also just entering arbitration, so he'll only cost 5-6mm. However, he's also 30 years old, because his career track is weird as gently caress. If we don't believe in Urias, we could probably swap the two straight up, and maybe even get something back along with Merrifield.

James Paxton is also on the block. We could get a year of him at a severe discount (~15mm) before free agency, with a plan to extend him. It'd save some money vs Sale or Cole, but we'd have to give up assets to get him, probably something relatively valuable. We have a LOT of trade chips available though.

rickiep00h posted:

LA TORTUGA

I feel like this guy should be a Padre For Life, what do you all think about a 10 year extension at 1m AAV?

How do you not love this face?

Note: this isn't meant as a joke, he's a solid backup catcher and a fan favorite, he's actually really drat valuable

bewbies fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 8, 2018

• Locked thread