Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Nice to get in here on the ground floor. I was skeptical of the art style, but I’ll admit that it’s growing on me. Very nice west coast/campground vibe they’ve got going on in Torch Man’s stage.

ninja: son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad there's no opening stage that lets you learn the ropes without the possibility of 'oops you chose the toughest level possible say goodbye to a good first impression'!

But yeah, generally the game looks neat, and having the slide means I might eventually get it! Glad that's in there. Charged buster shots I can do either with or without, but no slide/dash/etc'.. = no buy from me (though I have no hard feelings against Capcom for 9-10 not having the slide, it's just a personal weirdly big preference on my part)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What kind of acid is Acid man? Vitamin C? DNA?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SelenicMartian posted:

What kind of acid is Acid man? Vitamin C? DNA?

Hydrochloric? Is the entire level a stomach?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I love Dr. Wily's cute skull jammies :3:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 02 - The Plays!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
This is everything I hoped I'd be watching after playing the game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Yes

suffer

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

See, this is why you do a fanvote for boss order, then reverse it.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I see you've noticed that the "big" pickups (1-ups, but also E-tanks and W-tanks) don't respawn. I'm really not sure how I feel about this, as it's a big departure from how things worked in the rest of the series. On the one hand, I guess it makes them more attractive from a completionist perspective, since they're now collectibles the game keeps track of. On the other, it feels a lot weirder buying them when they're finite everywhere but the shop, and they can't place lives strategically before a tough section to keep you from getting a game over (which was a nice feature in games that had them respawn on death).

By the way, your strategy for getting to the E-tank works (it's what I did) but the timing is tricky and I died a lot trying it. After you get it, though, I don't know how to get back without committing suicide, unless you have Rush Jet or Impact Man's weapon. They do persist through game-overs though, so it might be worth grabbing.

Do you guys want an explanation of what changes on the various difficulty settings?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Explopyro posted:

Do you guys want an explanation of what changes on the various difficulty settings?

I very much would, personally speaking.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

JustJeff88 posted:

I very much would, personally speaking.

Okay. I'll put it all behind spoiler tags in case Nat/Tea don't want the info.

Newcomer: Infinite lives, infinite spike protection, infinite Beat Calls. Megaman takes reduced damage (I think half?). More frequent checkpoints (most screen transitions). There are more life pickups statically placed in the stage (and some small pickups are upgraded to large ones).

Casual: 5 lives per continue. Megaman takes reduced damage (I think half?). More frequent checkpoints (most screen transitions). There are more life pickups statically placed in the stage (and some small pickups are upgraded to large ones).

Normal: 2 lives per continue. Baseline damage. 2-3 checkpoints per level (I think).

Superhero: 2 lives per continue. Megaman takes more damage (I think 1.5x?). Same checkpoints as Normal. There are no pickups in the stages (the life/ammo/gear recharge pickups, and the 1-ups, E-tanks and W-tanks are all gone). Only screws drop from enemies unless you get specific parts from Auto's shop, which means it's much harder to recover life/weapon energy. Bosses are faster and more aggressive, have more projectiles, and use their speed/power gear attacks more frequently and earlier in the fight. Many normal enemies have more health (e.g. Lyric and the electric Telly take 2 uncharged buster shots).

I may have missed one or two things and/or have some numbers off, but I'm pretty sure that covers it. Truthfully, after playing most of them, I think the sweet spot would be Normal mode but with Casual mode's checkpoint placement, but unfortunately that's not an option they gave us.

Edit: vv I'll defer to these numbers, I didn't do any kind of rigorous testing and they sound reasonable.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 11, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I did a few tests on the damage last week, but only on the higher 3 difficulties. The Lyric, floating twin-rotor guy, did this much damage at the very beginning of Block Man's stage. So the numbers here are from that post:

Casual: 1.5 pips (0.75x)
Normal: 2 pips (1x)
Superhero: 4.5 pips (2.25x)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah learning the Double Gear System is a really good thing. The Power Gear is also quite useful once you realize how quickly you get the full charge and that it instantly destroys almost any shielded enemy. (Also the Power Gear version of Boss weapons are great.) And you guys are already figuring out how useful speed gear is.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

This can take a bit,can it?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted the option to have infinite lives without being utterly patronised otherwise. Finishing a difficult bit and then having to redo that bit because I wasn't familiar with the next section is tiresome.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I'm really enjoying the graphics and art, but they really went all out with the lazy, lovely gotchas in the level design it seems. Shame, those were the least fun parts of the previous games.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yup, this game makes Mega Man and Bass look like a game for beginner's. Jesus Christ, Capcom. I can only imagine how hard the boss is. I didn't get too far in Network Transmission, reaching Fire Man only to later watch VLPs ten years later and realize you were supposed to use the counter-intuitive move of sliding under his attacks, so I don't know if this one is gimmicky when it comes to it's bosses too as opposed to genuinely hard, but yeah...hard as nails here, no doubt.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The impression y'all are getting might be a bit biased by goon sadism forcing Nat into the hardest level first, before he gets any powers

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I thought Megaman & Bass/Rockman & Forte was harder than this one, though a big part of that is because MM&B doesn't give you access to any kind of reliable healing (all it has is an Eddie weapon, but only Megaman gets that and it both takes time to dispense items and might decide not to give you health) and the ending gauntlet was really brutal especially in comparison to MM11 which lets you save and/or continue after each level instead of needing to do it in one go. Between this game having buyable E-tanks and a lot of other game-changing powerups available in the shop, I think it's much easier so long as you're using all the tools it offers you. (Also, especially if we're talking about the GBA version of MM&B with its screen size problems...)

If you're playing without items, this one might well be harder. I'm not sure.

Also, yeah, Torch Man's level is definitely the least forgiving.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Starting with Torch Man's place is cruel, even with the speed gear. The gears aren't that much of a power up for ol' Mega in this game, since a lot of the enemies and instakill traps are designed around them existing. That pursuing flame wall is brutally tight even with slow motion.

If the store didn't exist, and you couldn't grind bolts to buy 9 lives and 9 E-tanks, Mega Man 11 would easily be the hardest game in the classic series.

I won't blame you if you change to Casual difficulty, I think the game is just better that way.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
I agree that it would have been nice to have the option to configure things like lives/damage/etc individually instead of via difficulty settings. If they didn't want to confuse newer players, they could have had the existing settings plus a "Custom" setting.

One piece of advice I'd give for the LP is to not be afraid to visit Dr. Light's Lab between Game Overs. It has some very useful things in it and even if you've locked yourselves into Torch Man's stage there's no reason not to cash in some of those bolts you've been collecting. Just be aware that there's more than one page of items to browse.

As for Torch Man's level, my opinion on it is (includes minor referential spoilers to other levels) it's the hardest level in the game, fortress levels included. While I don't think it's bad, I do think it suffers from a common design issue in Mega Man 11 in that it'll have a string of incredibly easy to moderate rooms in a row followed by a single massive difficulty spike all within the same checkpoint segment so every time you die you have to slog through the easy rooms for one more attempt at the challenging part.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 03 - For the Love of God

Apologies if you get an advert ahead of the video. I needed to allow that for art.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 12, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Natural 20 posted:

Apologies if you get an advert ahead of the video. I needed to allow that for art.

FYI: Your link here and in the OP both go to Ep1

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Andrigaar posted:

FYI: Your link here and in the OP both go to Ep1

Lies!

Lies and deception!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Natural 20 posted:

The link takes me to Episode 01

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

JustJeff88 posted:

The link takes me to Episode 01

Can someone else check this? Because it's fixed but I'm concerned that you think it's still broken.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Natural 20 posted:

Can someone else check this? Because it's fixed but I'm concerned that you think it's still broken.

It looks fine to me now. The OP, your post and JustJeff88's quote of your post all go to the correct video. Andrigaar's quote of your post still kept the incorrect link.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Natural 20 posted:

It's going to episode 3 now.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
That... That was art. I applaud you. That was amazing.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That was the perfect way for this video to end.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You guys are never going to finish this stage, are you?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
It's fine now - poor timing on my part.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

You guys are never going to finish this stage, are you?

I'm sure it'll be like SotN, "haha, look at this n00b suck at the game we know inside and out" for the first few videos. then "Wow, he got gud!" for the rest.

e: just saw the end. Yeah, that reinforces my expectations of you suddenly doing great in a video or two, that was a very good boss fight, just not good enough.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 12, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Hai hai hai!

Capcom must secretly be some soul harvesting lich's shell company or whatever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The humanity!

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
The last time I saw a megaman level that harsh was 2 I think or maybe a romhack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted the option to have infinite lives without being utterly patronised otherwise. Finishing a difficult bit and then having to redo that bit because I wasn't familiar with the next section is tiresome.

Buy lives at the shop. They are really cheap.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I saw exactly what killed you Nat. The fact that you spammed rather then charged. One full double gear charged shot would have killed Torch Man. But you decided to go for weak shots on an enemy that has a second of invulnerability after getting hit. The worst choice you could have made. Had you charged shot him again after the first time or used a fully charged Double Gear Shot you would have won.

Also there is nothing wrong with Going to Dr Lights lab between stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The flame wall sections aren't that bad with a little practice and using the speed gear differently. But I'm only 3 minutes in, so maybe they change their strat coming up.

That said, I'm looking forward to finding out how many bolts they'll have saved up after this escapade. Oh dear me, I hope they've been saving the game despite dying.

E: 5140, visible right after the first boss door

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 13, 2018