Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 12 - Prepare to Diode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Videogames are easy"

I'd laugh if I hadn't also met that exact death :saddowns:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

rubber beats electric. They also took out those patroling sparks, though in the chaos it's easy to miss.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think this is my favourite stage in the game. The atmosphere is great, I like the way the beam traps encourage you to pace yourself and look before you leap, and some of the configurations are really creative. (It's a bit less fun if you're trying to speedrun, because they will force you to slow down in places, though you can actually Impact Man through them safely. His weapon is so good.)

The Bouncy Balls are really useful in the rest of the level, also. You can use them to destroy the X-shaped beam splitter things, and both the miniboss and big blue stomper robot are very weak to it.

As I said before, Bounce Man was renamed in localisation; he's Rubber Man in Japanese, which might make this weakness a bit more obvious. (Actually, since I didn't mention it last time, the other renamed robot is Impact Man; he used to be Pile Man, which may explain why his weapon is called Pile Driver. Then again, he's far from the first robot master to not have the weapon include their name, and even in this game Fuse Man's doesn't either.)

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
Fuse Man's level is my favorite from 11. Fuse Man himself and his miniboss are both fun fights, the actual length of the level as well as the checkpointing feel just right, and the majority of it focuses upon a single gimmick (the moving lasers) which it plays around with in various ways and also uses effectively alongside the enemies. It's on the bland side aesthetically, the music is about as forgettable as in the rest of the game, and I wouldn't consider it one of the most memorable Mega Man levels, but otherwise it's an extremely solid level with no particular gameplay-related flaws and that's really all it needs to be.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bouncy balls continue to be the best weapon.

I love how "easy" -> immediatly dead happened not once but twice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think they realized they were using the power gear version of the Fuse Man's weapon the whole time.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Bruceski posted:

rubber beats electric. They also took out those patroling sparks, though in the chaos it's easy to miss.

The weakness cycle actually makes a fair bit of sense when you look at it. Nearly all of them, when you think for a moment, is an "Oh, of course" thing like rubber beating electricity or the sharp pointy weapon popping the balloon stage guy. There's nothing as nonsensical as 'snakes beat lasers' or 'helicopters beat crystals'.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I think this stage proved beyond a shadow of the doubt that between Light and Wily, Wily is still the real evil. Why the man used drones in this stage. You can't trust anyone who uses drones!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
How long ago did you two record the last wave of bosses?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Power Gear is a lot better than it seems, but it does require a bit more finesse than Speed Gear (since the use of "slow things down" is obvious) (also this is funny because this is the reverse of many games where more power = simpler option).

Power Gear Buster is kinda blah regularly, but charged Power Gear Buster has a nice use case that you've missed: every single enemy that's needed just over a single charge shot or has a shield that gets knocked away for a bit after a charged hit is the use case for Power Gear, where a single charged shot does nothing special but a pair back-to-back cleans things up nicely.

Power Gear on your weapons is amazing. Since most weapons aren't designed to be rapid-fired for long periods of time like the buster, you can Power Gear, fire the weapon, and then drop out, and still have Speed Gear ready if you want it. Boss weapons are what turn Power Gear from okay to awesome, so if you're someone who uses the buster a whole bunch you won't notice its qualities as much.

I think this is super-intentional design, by the way. I think Capcom noticed everyone praising Mega Man 9 for its excellent suite of weapons and decided to draw from that well instead of whatever design notebook turned out Thunder Wool. You've got your utility (Concrete Shot/Pile Driver), your spammable buster analogue (Laser Trident/Bounce Ball), your screen clearer (Tornado Blow/Tundra Storm), your "this thing in front of me must die now" button (Black Hole Bomb/Blazing Torch) and a super good shield (Jewel Satellite/Acid Barrier). Put another way, I consider Scramble Thunder to be the worst weapon in Mega Man 11 and it's still pretty drat good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 13 - I Hate This Guy

Apologies for the lateness of the upload guys, I set the schedule for the 12th for some reason instead of yesterday.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Okay, why not. It's not too late at night.

:colbert: :coffee:

E: While that weapon did sort of work, it wasn't the ideal choice. I'll let you figure that out if you haven't already recorded the re-fights.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 6, 2018

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Fun fact about the Anti-Eddie (yes, that's its real name) - you only get one shot at that extra life, ever. If he makes it away with it, it's treated as collected and never respawns again. Speed gear seems like the best way to catch them, unless you use the weapon they're weak to which is Bouncy Balls and one-shots them.

You can actually cheat past the falling giant maze things by blowing them up with Blast Man's weapon. Also, if you take too long, more of them will keep falling down, I think there's one more pattern at each location you guys didn't see (and after that they repeat).

Interestingly, while "speed gear and jump off the falling block" is obviously the intended way to get the E-tank, Rush Coil is actually enough to get you up there.

Ugh, Block Man. I hate this fight so much; I think he's still the one I'm worst at fighting. (You guys may want to recheck how much damage you were doing and whether you're sure you know his weakness, though.) I also find it really strange that he works so differently to the other seven (what with getting a second health bar on activating his gear, the gear mode not being timered, and going into a completely different phase afterward), which considering this was the demo stage makes me think the devs may have originally intended all the bosses to work this way and changed their minds later. Either that, or it was a sort of bait-and-switch and they wanted an increased level of spectacle for the demo stage.

Speedrunners have actually found a way to skip the power gear phase, though I don't actually know how it works. It seems to require very specific timing and use of both the buster and his weakness.

Block Dropper is pretty good though (albeit situational). It can be awkward to aim until you're used to it, but it's very good at hitting oddly placed enemies, and being able to attack from above can really change things against certain enemies. The power gear version absolutely wrecks anything without invincibility frames (especially mid-bosses).

Now that you've finished all the robot master stages, I can post this video without spoilers! I thought this guy had some interesting insights into how this game's level design works, and how the level gimmicks are interleaved. Curiously, the way he measures stage length, Torch Man's is among the shortest, so you guys were right: not long, just brutal.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

His weakness isn't Pile Driver. It's bombs. He's made of blocks, bombs blow up blocks, so blow him up with bombs. Please.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember Block Man's stage was the one featured in the demo, so I thought it would be either easy or that the demo version was truncated in comparison, but nope, I was wrong on both counts.

re: the X series, I remember X3 being pretty good. I was kinda disappointed they didn't do more with Zero, but yeah, no complaints aside from that. I didn't play past X4, but it came out somewhere that X6 was literally incomplete and rushed to market. Someone released a patch lately and from what I hear, it makes the game fun. I don't think there's any way to make X7 playable with how gimmicky I've heard it is, and at least of what I've seen of X8, it's a return to form. I'm waiting for Mega Man X Corrupted to come out already, it's one of the few fan games that looks to be both technically competent and having people behind it who are willing to until it's been fine tuned to perfection for release.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
How terrible is it that I immediately picked up on the Goldeneye reference?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Section Z posted:

How terrible is it that I immediately picked up on the Goldeneye reference?

None at all. Boris is a gem.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

I remember Block Man's stage was the one featured in the demo, so I thought it would be either easy or that the demo version was truncated in comparison, but nope, I was wrong on both counts.

re: the X series, I remember X3 being pretty good. I was kinda disappointed they didn't do more with Zero, but yeah, no complaints aside from that. I didn't play past X4, but it came out somewhere that X6 was literally incomplete and rushed to market. Someone released a patch lately and from what I hear, it makes the game fun. I don't think there's any way to make X7 playable with how gimmicky I've heard it is, and at least of what I've seen of X8, it's a return to form. I'm waiting for Mega Man X Corrupted to come out already, it's one of the few fan games that looks to be both technically competent and having people behind it who are willing to until it's been fine tuned to perfection for release.
The best way to describe X3's issues was that it was a turgid game. There's a lot of stuff to fool around with, so much that not all of it got polished as much as it needed to. Which is not to say that it's bad like some people claim at all; it's still good, and in fact my favorite of the SNES MMX games. But it was divisive in that respect. There are even some weirdos who don't like the music, which sounds dumb considering the MMX2 soundtrack and its funky instruments.

And if you're mentioning MMX Corrupted you can't just neglect to post some videos, like the excellent music or the Neurohack Mosquito demo below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpO0baCAsUU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The background had a lot to say this time.
Does Eddie still give you a random item, including E-tanks?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 14 - Feel Free To Skip This Episode People!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Behold, the greatest crime of the game. Even worse than overwrought gimmicks, overlong stages, excessive miniboss i-frames.

RIP Wily's Eyebrows, 200X-2018.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there some spiteful rear end in a top hat who remains on the team, just to add something bad when a sequel comes out?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yikes, that pit was straight from I Wanna Be The Guy. Though given the spikes that show up before you go all the way down and the ridiculous platforming that came before it, you'd think you'd be ready, but nope, Capcom still has to throw in a few curveballs.

NGDBSS posted:

And if you're mentioning MMX Corrupted you can't just neglect to post some videos, like the excellent music or the Neurohack Mosquito demo below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpO0baCAsUU

Word. I'm really impressed how they managed to nail the SNES feel while managing to do their own thing.

Azurelana
Nov 6, 2018

Too cute to function
Wow, really enjoying this!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 15 - Mega Man 11 Has Wrecked My Body

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 10, 2018

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, skip that episode, definitely nothing to see here.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I treated 14 like a podcast and mostly listened to them have their will to live quietly curb stomped by what sounded like the heavy boot of exhaustion and the need to take an hour away from the TV.

Starting 15 now. The thumbnail looks promising for their sanity.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This level is definitely a step up in difficulty, maybe even from Torch Man. Honestly, even difficulty aside they have a fair amount in common, because this is another level that really rewards you for constantly pushing forward, cuts off your retreat, and punishes every mistake with death. At the same time, it's also pretty straightforward in what it offers: lots of platforming over pits with annoying enemy placement, and just a dash of spike drop and yoku blocks to make sure you know it's a fortress level (though honestly, I don't think they made very good use of either in this level, I'm less impressed by it than the way they explored and made varied use of the level gimmicks in the robot master stages).

I'd like to suggest you try more weapons against Gabyoalls (the roomba-siren things), there is one that does work.

Glad to see you finally discovering the joy of Power Gear Tundra Storm. Honestly, that's probably the best weapon in the game. I used that a lot more than Acid Barrier in this level, though that's serving you well and honestly I wish I'd thought of it.

I hate Devil bosses and this one's no exception, my reaction on first getting here was very similar to both of yours. Although I have to admit it's grown on me some after playing it long enough to learn the pattern and get a feel for dodging it (though I still have to use E-tank spam on Superhero, the downside of learning bosses by muscle memory is that it no longer works when it gets sped up and the timing changes). YMMV but I've found short hops seem to work better than trying to slide under the blocks, standing in one place and just jumping is easier to manage for me.

I do think his speed gear attack feels really satisfying to get through once you stop being overwhelmed by all the moving parts and figure out the pattern; honestly, I think it's easier than the classic Yellow Devil pattern and you can hit him during it (either with charge shots at specific times, or else spamming Tundra Storm). He also has another attack you guys didn't see, which he only uses sometimes and I'm not sure how to trigger - he delays the eye opening a bit (which usually makes me waste my charge early, very frustrating) and then fires a few bigger shots in succession.

Still. Yellow Devil. Nobody missed you, why did you come back?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

The only good devil is the Rainbow Devil :colbert:.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You'd think this kind of sadism would be IntiCreates's doing, but nope, apparently they had nothing to do with this game. Still, between that irritating block puzzle and those platforming ledges, I'm dreading the rest of the Wily stages.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was getting Infinity Mijinion vibes from Yellow Devil.
Would Rush Jet be able to get you past the Yoku blocks when you were at the middle layer?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If we're talking X6, the Yellow Devil is more like the Nightmare Mother or Blaze Heatnix's entire stage. HideofBeast (or Violen when he used to post on SA) is incredibly profane in that linked video but the level is so terrible that I can't fault him too hard for it.

BlazeEmblem posted:

The only good devil is the Rainbow Devil :colbert:.
:agreed:

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011
This might sound crazy, but I actually like Wily 1 in this game. Almost all the danger comes from projectiles, so I usually try to keep Acid Barrier without Power Gear up and keep moving. Acid Barrier disappearing at the wrong time can be scary, so I tend to cancel it during safe moments by briefly swapping to another weapon and then reapplying it. There's something really satisfying about being able to run through a Mega Man stage while a bunch of enemy attacks are harmlessly absorbed. The block segments are obnoxious and I agree that the new sound makes it harder to time, though at least none of them are above instant death and both instances have spots where you can use Rush Coil to skip a good chunk of them.

As for the Yellow Devil, it's a tough fight, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad one. The Speed Gear helps a whole lot when it comes to dodging his traditional block attack, so much so that I'd assume the boss was designed specifically for Speed Gear if it hadn't already been in a bunch of previous games. On the other hand, I'm more on the fence about when the Yellow Devil splits into a bunch of smaller ones as it looks neat and it gives you a chance to get multiple big hits in, but the movement pattern feels overly hard to dodge if you haven't seen how it plays out at least once; it could use better tells.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yellow Devil is actually pretty easy with like 30 minutes of practice. That only sounds mean; you can practice the bosses, levels, or mini-bosses from the extras menu. And easy to kill that is, not to avoid damage. I can crib the damage timing from the speedrunners , but I face tank too many hits which makes the Dr. Light challenge go poorly.

Also chiming in to say Wily1 becomes rather fun once you learn to use the boss weapons to bop around.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Mostly I think it feels mean spirited to make one of the slowest projectiles in the game the weakness to Devil's momentarily visible weak point.

You wouldn't NEED to "just practice" nearly as much if they remained vulnerable for all of one second longer per pass (like a lot of devils, really). But throwing that in feels more rude rather than challenging. Like it's only there to ensure at least one gotcha moment of firing from across the screen, before rolling up your sleeves and firing it close enough (or preemptive enough) to land the hit.

I'd still rather deal with the MM8 Devil than my flashbacks of how embarrassingly terrible I was at MM3's devil despite faster weapons for weakness fishing though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 10, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 16 - The Ideas Saucepan

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's kinda disappointing that there's no Wily Stage 3 boss, but it's also proof that Capcom has something of a heart. Even if it's a cold stone beating under the chest where a heart should be, it's still a heart! I think that counts for something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They did give you a super shield item that is rather cheap for a consumable. Considering how brutal some stages are, it would have paid off in the boss fights by itself.
Can you please show off the Eddie and Beat items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ice is weak to electricity because of electrolysis.