Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Going to jump into this thread to say that I am going to be at a conference at Stellenbosch University for a week in late June/early July this year. I have never been to South Africa before. I will probably take at least a few other days after the conference to go around Cape Town.

Wine is fine with me, but I really like beer, and food of any sort. Is there any place in particular I absolutely need to check out beer or food wise, either in Cape Town or Stellenbosch itself if anyone is familiar with the town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, looking it up, I figured I had to get at least some wine in. Knowing historians I am sure it will be flowing liberally after-hours anyway.

And good to know about the Cape Town food scene. I definitely think I will spend a few days there afterwards. I really want to get to the former Royal Observatory, though sadly looks like I will miss the open telescope nights from the current observatory.

And thanks for letting me know about the rain. I knew it would be winter there but good to know that it tends to be wet.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cheers, Lead out in cuffs! Really appreciate the tips!

I actually know about the SS Mendi solely because a former student did his term paper on it. Had no idea there was a memorial in Cape Town to it, so I definitely need to check it out. Same with the Rhodes Memorial, seeing the epicenter of the Rhodes Must Fall campaign is a must. I had read good things about the District Six Museum also, so good to know it has an endorsement here, too!

Again, thanks a lot for the tips - looking forward to the trip even more now!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's a shame about the breweries, but I feel like I can't pass up the chance to go to at least one or two while I'm there.

But even though I'm not a big wine drinker, I will absolutely check out the wineries and the vineyards while I'm there. I did try a bottle of white wine from Stellenbosch just to get a sense of it and I thought it was very good, so I can only imagine being blown away by the wine at the source.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Okay, I can't pass up a winery called Thelema.