Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I think I'll sign up; really need to get an avatar already. But no SPOOKY FLASH RULE, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

that is not, in fact, how paragraphs work

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Aleph Null posted:

I don't know how to paragraph. I wrote that long hand first and then transcribed it. I've always been bad at paragraphing. My favorite writer growing up was James Joyce.
Good on you for getting into writing, then.

Despera posted:

Paragraphs in fiction are in the eye of the beholder. Even if you follow some hard rule the formatting on this site makes it impossible to look good.
this is not even slightly true. if you're writing prose, your paragraphs should always* look like this:

quote:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
and not like this:

quote:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

* Yeah, yeah, no absolutes in art. Still, I challenge you to find a book that formats paragraphs like my second example.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Antivehicular posted:

To follow up on this: if you want to critique other people's entries, that's great, but wait until after the contest is over and don't be a dick about it. I'll leave it up to Pham as to whether those critiques should be posted here or elsewhere.

If you really need to get outraged at people's text formatting, Thunderdome will gladly accept your blood and vitriol. Walk the walk, talk the talk.
Yeah, sorry; I could've been nicer and it's a little dickish to crit someone when they can't even edit their work. Especially since I'm probably not going to have time to submit anything myself. :rip: