Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ah the good old ship is sinking time to react badly and fire guys moment okay. Beatty wasn't making it past this year anyway so oh well I guess. I also expect Meachum will be okay jobs wise (can we please fire Cornelson and hire him Fuente?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

MourningView posted:

Yeah what the hell how did that happen

No baseball tonight is my guess. It frees up evening time slots on Saturday.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Why did Meacham ever go to Kansas in the first place? I get leaving a co-OC position for a sole OC one, but at Kansas? It's such a downgrade and a dead end that it makes me wonder if he could have been pushed out at TCU or something.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Chieves posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and will be asking Ann Arbor bartenders to turn on the Brewers game while decked out in red.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If anyone is interested in some inside baseball officials around the league never want to trash their own. But the Pac-12 has been described as a disaster. They make the most egregious errors and probably had the worst call of the season last year by rescinding a targeting call where a UCLA player got hit so hard his helmet came off. I’ve spoken with pac 12 refs and know the majority are solid guys but this targeting getting overruled actually makes sense in the grand scheme towards explaining how bad they are sometimes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chieves posted:

Yeah but usually they still avoid anything watchable on Thursdays now because they're scared of the NFL

Thermos H Christ posted:

Why did Meacham ever go to Kansas in the first place? I get leaving a co-OC position for a sole OC one, but at Kansas? It's such a downgrade and a dead end that it makes me wonder if he could have been pushed out at TCU or something.

I definitely remember some speculation to that effect which is weird since he was typically the co-OC who got all the credit for their offense

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 11, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MourningView posted:

Yeah but usually they still avoid anything watchable on Thursdays now because they're scared of the NFL

Maybe they felt like they could go for it tonight because Eagles vs Giants probably isn't going to be very good.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The mention of co-OCs reminded me of when we hired Okie Lite's OL coach as our "offensive coordinator," either as a smokescreen for the deeply unpopular Shawn Watson hire or just because we were too cheap to pay the buyout that would be owed if he left Okie Lite for the same job title somewhere else. Then Charlie Strong testified that he didn't know who called plays in our bowl game and couldn't think of the starting QB's name.

Charlie Strong seems like a good dude by football coach standards and there's a fair amount of evidence he's a good coach but in hindsight his tenure at Texas was pretty much a debacle from day one.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thermos H Christ posted:

Then Charlie Strong testified that he didn't know who called plays in our bowl game and couldn't think of the starting QB's name.

He shouldn't feel too bad, I'm not sure if David Ash could remember own name.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So, I've finally been proven right that the Pac-12 favors big time money makers like Wazzu over plucky underdog teams like USC :psyberger:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The latest theory on why Khalil Tate doesn't run anymore:

https://twitter.com/AZDesertSwarm/status/1049851390254833665

Maybe it's Tate and not the coach.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

The latest theory on why Khalil Tate doesn't run anymore:

https://twitter.com/AZDesertSwarm/status/1049851390254833665

Maybe it's Tate and not the coach.

I thought he hurt his ankle vs Houston and that's why he wasn't running.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
All I know is tua better not run A SINGLE TIME vs mizzou

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
he shouldn't need to tbh

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Bama could beat Missouri with nothing but direct snaps to their backs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pakled posted:

Maybe they felt like they could go for it tonight because Eagles vs Giants probably isn't going to be very good.

I mean it will definitely be really bad but I assume it's not an accident that networks are putting some godawful NFC East game in primetime at every available opportunity despite every single one of them ending with a score of like 20-17

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

I thought he hurt his ankle vs Houston and that's why he wasn't running.

He definitely hurt his ankle against Houston, although he wasn't running before that either. I dunno.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't understand why Meachum got fired? Kansas finally has an almost functional offense it seems like. Was there something with the admin or what?

The quarterbacks have mostly been trash, but part of that is KU investing in having a wildcat QB almost every year who doesn't know how to pass. That's been an ongoing issue before Meacham came along, and the receivers being mostly trash and Beaty being a supposed receiver guru puts the blame pretty squarely on Dave, who's just panic firing not get ousted himself, which he's going to be.

Kinda sucks that Clint Bowen will be gone though since his defenses really weren't that bad and mostly just fell apart from being on the field too long, but if this is what it takes to show some kind of change on the field, so be it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Coco13 posted:

Guess who has two thumbs and will be asking Ann Arbor bartenders to turn on the Brewers game while decked out in red.

Hell yeah my dude :hfive:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I hope Notre Dame Vandy doesn't show up on Saturday. I want to see South Carolina Vandy.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thermos H Christ posted:

He was supposedly going to be named the UNT head coach but it fell apart at the last hour before they went on to hire Littrell. I think when that fell apart he didn't want to slink back to TCU to be the co-OC.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Coco13 posted:

Long as you order a Bear Fight first.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Fifty Three posted:

Long as you order a Bear Fight first.

I had a badger Fight at a Wisconsin game a few weeks ago. I’m assuming they’re the same thing and god drat.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I had a badger Fight at a Wisconsin game a few weeks ago. I’m assuming they’re the same thing and god drat.
Never heard of that one- a Bear Fight is a Jager Bomb followed by an Irish Car Bomb. Sounds awful, is delicious. According to a Michigan grad student buddy it originated at the Blue Leprechaun.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was the same thing and it was good it was just then that I realized my night was going off the rails

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: The Texas homer podcast by the Austin American-Statesman this week is about how Texas can make the playoffs.

We are gonna lose to Baylor or beat them by like ... 5 points.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Texas can make the playoffs if they win out was a whole podcast needed for that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Texas can make the playoffs if they win out was a whole podcast needed for that

Nah, lost to Maryland. SEC probably gonna get 2 in right after 1 of them loses in the SEC title game. ND will take a spot.

I don't want to watch my promising young team that still has a lot to work on get stomped by Bama in the playoffs. The ideal end of the season is beating OU again in the Big 12 title and then beating A&M in the Cotton Bowl.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, lost to Maryland.

Clemson lost to Syracuse last year, it's easy for the committee to reason away losses like that. Especially with a team like Texas which would be a huge draw on television. If Texas wins out, I really think they'll get in over whatever one-loss team didn't win the SEC. Although if that team ends up being Alabama there might be some drama.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Nah, lost to Maryland. SEC probably gonna get 2 in right after 1 of them loses in the SEC title game. ND will take a spot.

I don't want to watch my promising young team that still has a lot to work on get stomped by Bama in the playoffs. The ideal end of the season is beating OU again in the Big 12 title and then beating A&M in the Cotton Bowl.

Lol Texas is absolutely getting in instead of sec team number 2

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Seaniqua posted:

Clemson lost to Syracuse last year, it's easy for the committee to reason away losses like that. Especially with a team like Texas which would be a huge draw on television. If Texas wins out, I really think they'll get in over whatever one-loss team didn't win the SEC. Although if that team ends up being Alabama there might be some drama.

Right now it's looking like the playoff teams will be
Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson.

Say Texas wins out. Say Michigan wins out. I think a 1 loss Ohio State would get in over a 1 loss Texas, they'd have a win over mighty Maryland.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Right now it's looking like the playoff teams will be
Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Clemson.

Say Texas wins out. Say Michigan wins out. I think a 1 loss Ohio State would get in over a 1 loss Texas, they'd have a win over mighty Maryland.

Maryland is a hidden juggernaut my friend

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

buddhanc posted:

Maryland is a hidden juggernaut my friend

Because they murder indiscriminately like the marvel villain?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Everybody in the Big 12 is going to have at least 2 losses.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

fwiw 538 gives texas a 93% chance of being in the playoffs if they win out and i don't think thats incorrect. That would mean beating WVU, Texas Tech, Okie St, and either WVU or OU again probably, a 1 loss big12 team with the loss being opening game, and well, a big program.

i don't think this happens at all, texas isn't that back yet, but a 1 loss texas probably gets in. The exception is an undefeated Notre Dame and Clemson as well as an undefeated or 1 loss big10 champ Ohio St, probably.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: The Texas homer podcast by the Austin American-Statesman this week is about how Texas can make the playoffs.

We are gonna lose to Baylor or beat them by like ... 5 points.

Kentucky probably has a better chance of making the playoff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Because they murder indiscriminately like the marvel villain?

Did we already talk about the booster who was poo poo-talking the kid that died? And how Maryland players found out he was supposed to fly with them to the Michigan game and got him booted from the flight?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24920536/controversial-maryland-booster-removed-trip

Some rear end in a top hat booster posted:

In a story published Oct. 1 by The Diamondback, Maryland's student newspaper, Jaklitsch and other boosters voiced strong support for football coach DJ Durkin, placed on administrative leave in August while the school investigates allegations of a toxic culture in the program. Jaklitsch said Durkin being placed on leave was "ridiculous" and also addressed McNair, who fell ill during a May 29 team conditioning workout and suffered heatstroke. McNair died June 13.

"As much as we hate to say this, Jordan didn't do what Jordan was supposed to do," Jaklitsch told The Diamondback. "A trainer like [Maryland athletic trainer] Wes Robinson thinks a kid's properly hydrated and runs a drill set up for kids that are properly hydrated, and when the kid didn't drink the gallon he knew he had to drink, that's going to send the wrong signal to the person running the drill."

Jaklitsch's comments upset many in the program, sources said, and earlier this week players informed football administrative staffers that they didn't want Jaklitsch around any team activities. But he was still set to travel with the team to Michigan until players again intervened. Passenger manifests for Maryland's charter flights are set in the summer.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not sure I've ever seen victim blaming when it comes to sports deaths.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2018/10/12/lsu-beating-georgia-put-three-sec-teams-college-football-playoff/1606831002/

:secsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Did we already talk about the booster who was poo poo-talking the kid that died? And how Maryland players found out he was supposed to fly with them to the Michigan game and got him booted from the flight?

I guess at least no one is defending him for this bullshit since the players were able to tell him to go away?

Also that guy's apparently a personal injury lawyer so....why would anyone ever hire him after that?

• Locked thread