Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Mid-update post

Arionhod + Ogoria

Through quantum interactions the structure phases a duplicate copy of the Afterlife Complex into space; perhaps the soul river's interactions had disturbed the fabric of time/space/life/death in a way that was unprecedented. Those that followed you and many of the meaty combined folks drifted along, and soon the light of this universe no longer reached your eyes.

The others saw a distant haze drifting away from the Ivory Lands, and then it was gone.

You all no longer sense the divinities of Arionhod and Ogoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Haamu - Soul River

The River of Souls rolled and roiled, and among the crests of the waves there was Haamu.

"Ah, to rage and stir, is this the nature of the Soul? Perhaps a part, but I doubt it's the whole~"

Haamu laid on his back in the waters, and spread his arms in a T-pose. With one hand he touched the shore on the side of the Real, and grasped a ball of sand and mud, and with another he touched the shore on the side of the Dream and likewise grasped a ball, not of mud nor sand, but of their ideal forms and what they represented in the mind of all. A ball of what those things meant. With a smile and a flourish, he brought the two balls together in his hands and shaped something New.

"For though the Soul is the actuator of the Dream in the Real, in whatever lessened form those reflections can be brought to bear the way things are, it is not only raging ambitions but the deep, thoughtful and quiet ponderings of the late hours that it represents. Yes indeed, Serenity has a place in the Soul as well. Both grand ambitions and soulful poems deserve their place, for both are children of the Dream."

Haamu took his strange new, muddy ball, and spread it over and across the shores on both sides.

"And thus do both deserve their place to rest."

OOC: A barrier of boggy swamplands of dreams, souls and reality will be erected around the river and its many branches as a buffer-zone against the flooding of the River of Souls. Dreams [+2] and Space [+2]

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maldrago-Ivory Tower

Maldrago looks at the afterlife that was created. "Excellent", he says. "Excellent. Leverage for the bargain." He targets the powerful and the useful, whispering into their ear about the fate that awaits in the afterlife; the destruction of self and identity, the reshaping or annihilation. He reminds them that this is their destiny, the destiny of all those who die. He then offers them an escape. If they swear themselves to his service, make themselves his slaves, he will extend their lives, and save them from death.

introducing Maldrago's Bargain, which he extends to those he thinks might be of use to him. Serve Maldrago, and he'll give you the gift of vampirism. You get to be immortal! Sorry about the blood thing. Probably should have read the fine print. Still, better than gooification!Bargains +2, Change +3

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
GRUMBOL - The Divine Challenge, The Tower

GRUMBOL was not willing to enter but since the venue had changed, he was forced to. As he already had committed to the challenge.

Unwillingly entering the arena. As the choice was not made by GRUMBOL but for him post committing to the challenge.

• Followers:
    • Ranok-La: Demigod
      Divine Custodians: Buggs, Hroon?
  • Special:
    • Divine Bridge Bonus: As defined by Banana Man
  • Abilities:
    • Destruction [+4], Personal
    • Change [+3], Pantheon
    • Creation [+2], Pantheon
    • [+2], one time use

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Mighty Ran - Arena

The Incredible Hero Ran enters the arena! With the power of his written word and Litigancy, he will prevail!

Following Grumbol into the Arena. Not entirely sure what that means but it sounds fun. Good luck and god bless.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Arena focused stuff toward the bottom of the post, following the usual updates)

Dunrandin – Fort Hiss and City One

The show of force was powerful; the vast army stood outside the walls of City One, standing in the bonefields that surrounded the city. There was quiet, and one of the human councilmen of the city raised a flag of surrender. “We have no army,” he said to the others around him, “We would die for nothing.” The Frogmen of the council glanced at each other. “We will *croak* speak to the army, our terms of surrender.” The human councilman nodded.

The city immediately surrenders; with no army they knew it would be a slaughter. I’ll let you detail how you want the construction of the temple to go; just keep in mind if you want it to be magical etc you’ll want to use a roll for that. The frogmen of the city (and their allies) retain positions of relative power even in response to your conquering.

Avtotar – Thousand Words University

The University is transformed; the School of Medicine is formalized and the equipment and techniques applied within are second to none; every physiology is accounted for, with theoretical studies accounting for future being yet to be created (as the more astute inferred). Notably, Frogmen had smuggled blob collectives from the afterlife for study and they only needed one person in the collective to agree to testing. The professors tend to be the Humans initially in the cities that you had arranged from the Arks.

The College of Engineering is likewise an equivalent group of study and esteem. The Buggs and Hroon that make up the Divine Custodians naturally make up most of its students and professors. Questionable projects and over-engineered projects immediately begin.

Haamu – Soul River

The onslaught of the Soul River’s expanse is slowed dramatically by the dream-swamps and other delta like structures meant to keep its rage in check; curiously, the waters carry a rich sediment with them that makes these lands extremely fertile, and strange and curious plants begin to sprout. The deluge becomes a seasonal thing, and Dreamers begin to navigate to these lands to harvest them for gifts for the waking world.

The plants, when consumed, grant visions and insight.

Think a nile-delta Egyptian thing, but with magic plants.

Maldrago – Ivory Tower making Maldrago’s Bargain (vampires for those that are useful to avoid death bargains 2 change 3) 9

Across the Ivory Lands mortals whisper quietly rumors that they heard, tall tales that had been passed from royal cook to courier to farmhand, about the many reasons why their local lords and other important regionals had never seemed to grow older (not that many had seen them in person).

A mysterious success! I’m going to say that this results in you having a hidden hand in how some of the major civilizations work. Spooky! Most vampires are going to be operating as not-vampires to avoid angry mobs.

Akkri Sen Tav – Penumbra

The Arena is cut, perfectly formed. Its intent and purpose of finality speaks to those who see it. Unfortunately one of the frogmen scooped a piece of it that was essential for the depowering process; demigods and below will fight as mortals within it. Gods are not limited by its power, and would fight as gods would within it. It will, however, contain any destruction OR external divine consequence for godly battles to the grounds of the arena itself. GRUMBOL and Ran both arrive.

News Throughout the Lands

The Bugg portion of the Custodians had firmly webbed up the Ivory Tower, a colony in its own right firmly lodging itself within the structure. It’s spooky, yet functional. The stones in the wall of the tower begin to move however….(see below this section)

Red Creeper Vine somehow had a dream and is now beginning to flourish in the Dreamlands. This is at most, very confusing, but it took root in the fertile crescent of the Soul River.

The Jade Emperor, having gotten bored, took some of Kashrut’s animal herd when he was napping.

The Misthound Dreampack took many bones from the boneyards of City One after Sissthor’s army invaded.

The Kathraki Empire’s economy expanded overnight as the armies raised at Fort Hiss needed weapons, and their shadowforged swords were in high demand.

A high ranking case in Litgancy was seen and resolved at the Afterlife Complex, in which members of a collective blob could sue other members of the collective when the majority of the group wanted to crawl to a spot the minority did not want to crawl to, in the response to the majority wanting to get a pile of gruel and the others wanting to get a drink.

The Divine Challenge

With the carving of the Arena, the stones within the Ivory Tower begin to tremble and move, some of them tumbling down into a massive shape that is slowly formed, the Buggs scattering as the webs are torn from them. The figure, composed of the reliefs and other ornamental designs on the tower lumbers toward the Arena. Its voice, low and grinding, reaches across all the Ivory Lands.

“The Arena has arrived, and I must walk among these lands again.” He speaks to all the gods here. “The rules were inviolate, yet they were violated. I know not the ground beneath my feet.” He rumbles, the stones that make up his figure grinding in a deafening noise. “I am the voice of the Ivory Lands, too long have we gone without nourishment.” He looks among those gathered, and among those that are not. “Many divinities…some lost. The Hand has brought you here. I do not understand how some have left this place.”

He turns, putting a clenched fist into the air, the ground rumbling as the stones that make up the hand tremble near to cracking. The gigantic squid plops down onto the arena, quivering in a confused way. “Interloper,” the Ivory Giant rumbles, “You do not belong here.” The squid’s tentacles wiggly franticly before it pops and guts spray all over the arena. “Blasphemers, taking my precious souls, my vitae!” The five demons appear in the gut muck, very confused. One starts to make a pun before he claps their heads together with a thundercrack, the fine mist adding to the gore around. He stomps a foot into the ground, and you sense a vast majority of the demigods have perished.

“I give not back these energies to the land. They are mine to keep.”

He stands as the sunlight beams down upon him. “The tournament is to begin. The Ivory Lands requires it. The First convened me to sleep with their tournament, my waking life sated and I slumbered. Woe to all if I am not sated. To the one that wins, I grant them the power of the Tower for an age of slumber.” He then lays out the rules.

Just to clarify, the Demon Posse are gone. The demigods not named on the list below, are gone. This is the avatar of the Ivory Lands. And here’s the rules for the tournament:

Each god will submit their particular challenge/arena, and the champion you choose to represent you in the tournament, I’ll figure out the tier structure based on the way that hopefully makes sense the best; the mortal races will also put forth a challenge/arena as they have a stake in this too. Everyone in the tournament will face off in the various challenges, with the final challenge being the Arena combat. You can’t submit yourself if you voluntarily reduce your abilities to that of a demigod mortal, but I would not recommend this. The Arena combat is specifically to the death.

SO TLDR: Pick a challenge you want to be part of the tournament, I’ll submit one for the mortals directly, figure out the sequence leading up to the final event of the Arena battle, and don’t forget to name your Champion (it can be anyone that isn’t a god). Keep in mind demigods fight as unpowered mortals in the arena.

quote:

Stuff That’s Been Made or Introduced

Enchantments
Godbridge – metaphysical bridge that has a delaying/obstructing effect on efforts not authorized by the Architects of Fate

Flora
Ash Fungus – A complex variation of fungus and distinguishable caps
Castlewort – Vines that grow castlelike structures, grows in rocks
Red Creeper Vine – Vine that gains sentience the more area it covers, remnants from a previous cosmic entity
Skullvine – Predatory vine that eats small animals, root ball resembles a skull

Fauna
Horde of Livestock – it is what it says it is

Godly Baubles/Armaments/etc
Clarion – Sword of Purity +2
Existential Threats to Ivory Lands scroll – a scroll with a bunch of buttons
Spite – Sword of Spite +2 that can be used once
Stone of Despair – A black pearl containing suffering and anguish

Important Demigods (or equivalent in power)
Amrakur – snakegod that was reformed by Dunrandin, now acting as bound servant to said deity
Jade Emperor – Big green dragon
Kashrut – A giant goat, long old friend of Ran’s, now leads the megaherds
Misthound Dreampack (led by Packmaster) – A puppy that wandered into these lands, now they pop around and cause mischief
Ranok-La – A lost and then found fragment of GRUMBOL of ages past, part of the Divine Custodians
Sthiss-tor – Naga High Priest, chosen of Dunrandin, many foul blessings
Su-Chelev – Sultan of Swine, Demigod of Pigs, now a mumbler of wisdoms at the Thousand Words University

Landscape Features
Burning Tree – A single tree burning with no smoke in the middle of a clearing, unexplored
Demon Tree – Ye olde demon in a tree gag, trapped by Bubbles via contract
Megasprawl – Factory complex + storage facility + irradiated area + Blazing Jungles merge
The Mesa – Massive tableland that rises above the land around it
Marble Quarry – Used by the pre-Hroon and current Hroon for works of grandeur
Mountaintop – Blue and White mountain w/city ontop, unexplored
Skyship Graveyard – Remnants of an ancient battle, unexplored
Soul River – Originally a meeting of two rivers that merged, was formed as the path through the realms, now funnels souls to the Afterlife, has deltas of rich sediment that grow strange vision plants in the Dreamlands
Unnatural Islands – With a wayfarying sea culture, unexplored
Vast Lake – A lake bubbling with secrets, unexplored

Notable Technologies/Innovations
Blob-based Reincarnation System – Based on punishment, collective blobbing with less collective as reincarnation tokens are earned
Dreamers – Elected individuals from all peoples who can navigate the dream world and assist with those that get lost
Litigancy – Magic Lawyers
Maldrago’s Bargain – People useful for Maldrago can become vampires to avoid death and the reincarnation system
Shadowforged Swords – Swords made by the Kathraki

Otherworldly Entities/Gods/Etc
The Demon Posse (Globl, Harg, Gruk, Hass, Kaltu)
Gargantuan Squid

Pantheons
Architects of Fate – Avtotar, GRUMBOL, Maldrogo, Dunrandin (Change +3, Creation +2)

Peoples
Buggs – Alien style bug colony with queens, part of Divine Custodians, 1 queen in the dreamlands and 1 in the Ivory Lands
Centaurs - dnd style, has scouts that can go anywhere
Cyborgs – Remnants of previous godly meddling
Frogmen – Frog people, very greedy and ambitious, find their ways to the top in crooked systems
Hroon – Little pink elephant craftsman, elevated by Avtotar, previous victims to Hubris, part of the Divine Custodians
Humans – weird ape-like things
Kathrakos – Shadowmen, thrive in areas of contrast, Empire between the worlds
Mutants – Remnants of previous godly meddling
Naga – Snakemen in elemental castes
Sandmen – Sandy but firm golem people
Shadow Skeletons – The less edged versions of Kathraki, skeletons with more traditional forms (but spooky shadows)
????? – Dwell in Artificer City in the Dreamlands

Structures
Afterlife Complex – Formerly Magical Prison w/Meat City, now a grifters afterlife; direct access to Soul River, processed heavily to ensure only the most deserving of justice live in the utopia, holes for smuggling, conmen and savvy at the top
Ancient Sciency Ruins – unexplored
The Arena – Carved in a way that depowers demigods, and contains godly battle influence
Artificer City (Walled City) – Great walled city, unexplored
City One – A massive city built on mysterious bones, mostly human and frogmen w/soul smuggling ring
Copper Beer Still – Ancient and massive, green from time and weather
Fort Hiss – Formerly ruins of an ancient city that easily housed a million mortals, now a semi-living snakecastle
Human Villages – now with Houses of Healing standardized, formerly Arks
Ivory Tower – The Namesake lynchpin of the gameworld, has a lot of buttons, sits beside the soul river in the Kathraki Empire city of Penumbra
The Pit – Demon pit draining souls out of the Ivory Lands, made by Demon Posse
Temple Complex – Scar in the world jutting with Obsidian Spikes, unexplored
Thousand Words University – with Observatory - Formerly Rose Academy, structure made for higher learning (with School of Healing and School of Engineering) and Litigancy

quote:

Worshipper Breakdown
Note that folks in Pantheons share their worshippers to a degree.

Akkri: Kathraki
Avtotar: Humans, Hroon
Dunrandin: Snakepeople
GRUMBOL: Buggs
Haamu: Dreamers (appointed by various societies)
Maldrogo: Frogmen, Kathraki, conmen and conwomen, humans
Ran: Free Peoples everywhere, Meat City residents, cows and sheep

quote:

Mysteries of the Ivory Lands
Think of this as a place for collective notes, a good way to have the history at a glance

Previous Custodians (Divine enforcers of Contracts/Maintenance
Bubbles – a real jerk, served Apegod

Waves of Gods Arriving, newest to oldest

-Current Playergroup
-skeleton missing a jaw, angry squat miner, Kashrut, Ranok-La, grinning centaur, whale, the First Rose + Krimmoth, elderly man with abacus
-Apegod, Amrakur, Packmaster, Erinde, mischief god, others that died/went missing
- Orb, others that died
- Kashrut, whale, others that died
- ???
-???
-???

Implied Future Complications to the Ivory Lands
Soon to be passing through the Inhabited Zone

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

GRUMBOL thought on a challenge and came up with an idea. He saw a mountain and with a force of godly might started to compress and condense it. When he was finally done it looked like this:

The challenge would be to pickup and carry the object from one end of the arena to the other.

<"Let he who can move this object from one end of the arena to the next move onto the next phase of the competition. It will cull the weak from the strong. Only the best mortals and demigods may pass this test! Ranok-La shall be my champion for all contests. I will watch from afar. He will go last, I would not want to discourage any of your champions.">

Challenge will be: moving a massive stone block of extreme density and weight from one end of the arena to the other.
Not quite a stone a god couldn't lift, but pretty drat heavy.
It is large enough to be cumbersome but not so big as to be unwieldy. The challenge is to move it but it should be grip-able and able to be handled.
Ranok-La will enter the competition as GRUMBOL's champion.

• Followers:
    • Ranok-La: Demigod
  • Special:
  • Abilities:
    • Change [+3], Pantheon
    • [+2], one time use

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 30, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Dunrandin - The City

The city was his and already he could feel the inhabitants as though they were pieces of his own divine body. They crawled and slithered, walked and ran, crittered and skittered through his veins. They built and fought and fed and f... freely existed on his skin. In the center of the city a huge edifice to the glory of Dunrandin and his fellow Architects was being erected. It would be a place of worship and a symbol of dominance. It would protect the city, and declare it theirs.

As the laborers worked, Dunrandin extended his godly might to aid them.

Dunrandin - The Arena

At the same time, an image of Dunrandin appears at the Arena. "Behold my mortal champion," the image says to those gathered. "One of the greatest prosecutorial litigancers ever seen. Lance Fredericks!"

From under yellow silk robes steps an imposing figure. Though human and not even a demigod, he nonetheless projects an aura of power and confidence.

Ok so the Grand Cathedral is one part house of worship amd one part defensive structure. usimg Dominance +2, Creation +2, and Change +3 to build it. besides being a massive focus point for worship, it also diminishes divine actions in the vicinity if the God does not belong to the Architects. If I can do that.

At the Arena I am using Law +2 to reveal my mortal champion!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Avtotar - The Box Seats of The Arena

Having made himself a comfortable place to view the excitement, he clapped his hands to draw the attention of the Ivory Referee, announcing his idea for the challenge:

"The champions will be faced with a challenge of skill and knowledge. Of keeping a cool head and of a steady hand. I will take a friend of theirs and shoot him or her with a poisoned arrow. The champion must remove the arrow, seal the wound, and cure the poison. They will have 24 hours, and will be judged on speed, quality, and success. The poison will not be lethal and will be of a reasonable difficulty to a non-expert, so the victim absolutely will survive (unless the challenge is completely bungled). If the Champion has no friends to save, then they fail this challenge on account of being an antisocial type."

Avtotar sat and conferred with a little book for a few moments, flipping through pages of potential Champions before tapping one a few times and chuckling to himself. He stood up again and with a puff of smoke, introduced his Champion:

"I present to you, Reyhoa. She is a top student, who earned the money to attend The School of Medicine by being the cleverest and toughest among her peers in her city, almost forcing the elders to send her to the University at swordpoint. In addition, she is the most willing person I have met in a thousand years to experiment upon herself, and has invented several potent potions which might give her an edge in some of the forthcoming challenges."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Haamu - The Arena

Champions marched to the arena, and between their doubts and determination there was Haamu. And he spoke, as he was occasionally wont, and made his Challenge known to those that would take part.

"It is sometimes asked, if an omnipotent being can make a stone too heavy for themselves to lift."

"A good question! Or perhaps a bad one? Can an impossible hypothetical even be considered a question at all?" Haamu took a puff from his hookah, "I wouldn't know~ But perhaps we can offer a substitute to same effect? The question being, can the strongest being defeat themselves?"

"I wonder~"

OOC: Haamu's challenge to the arena is a mirror that reflects the Challenger's worst fears, nightmares and personal doubts. They must step in, defeat these, and step out the mirror to succeed, thus purified of their inner demons. Haamu submits no Champion of his own, but should any Champion's nightmares take the form of some sort of Dream Beast or Evil Doppelganger or similar and defeat said Champion, then first such entity shall step out the mirror and be considered Haamu's Champion for the trial. Dreams [+2] and Space [+2] to construct the mirror (I'll be keeping it after this whole thing is over)

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

The Arena

The Ivory Guardian looks at the challengers, and those named. "While we wait for the others, the mortal representatives have arrrived." His massive hand opens and guides your vision to the wrought steps that wind up through Penumbra's crooked streets as groups of mortals arrive.

"I am Hispus, challenger for the Kathraki Empire," he hisses. "Our challenge is to find something not found."

"I am Saz, challenger for Fort Hiss," he also hisses. "Our challenge is to eat a mouse." He looks very hungry.

"I am Gruk, challenger for the Afterlife Complex. Our challenge is to steal something from a God."

"I am Walter, challenger for City One. Our challenge is to grow something in the most barren of dirt."

"I am Enok, representative for, and challenger for, the Dreamers. Our challenge is to become good and lost and back again in the Dreamlands."

"I am Professor Arun, challenger for the Thousand Words University. Our challenge is to find an artifact of the First Landing of the Gods."

The Iron Guardian turns back to the group assembled, rumbling "The tournament will begin soon."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Dunrandin's Shadow - The Arena

With the arrival and challenges of the other mortal representatives, Lance steps forward.

"I speak for my lord! Our challenge is to properly apply the law in a mock trial, in which the cases will be taken from both the books of examples of Lord Dunrandin and Lord Ran! There shall be no outside help in the matter and the judge and jury will be selected from amongst the neutral Custodians."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Akkri Sen Tav - Penumbra

Akkri frowns slightly at the pronouncement. The stakes dilute the purity of combat and some of the other challenges make a mockery of it. Ah well, it can't be helped. Akkri leaps from the lip of the arena down into a square already milling with prospective warriors. He raises his voice to deific levels.

"Fight, warriors! The last one standing shall be my champion."

The chaos is delightful. Akkri weaves his way amongst the tumult, turning aside errant blades with casual flicks of his hands. Most of the combatants flee into the River Horn just as the final blows are struck. The quasi-real is a forgiving place for a melee. Still, blood flows. Akkri chuckles as he sees a shaggy combatant draped in furs stalking through the fight. One hand is on the hilt of a massive greatsword scabbarded over one shoulder, the other hidden by the furs. Every so often the furs will twitch and another fighter nearby will fall. Akkri wonders if those dropping around the figure even appreciate the bluff. His divine eyes track the rapier as it flicks out with incredible speed.

Still further in the great melee, Akkri shadows a lithe fighter with bare feet. They dodge masterfully, only occasionally having to even parry with their short curved blade. It is a lovely style but perhaps not battle tested. Not enough offense. As Akkri watches the figure is flanked and taken down by a pair of Kathraki with long blades. Tsk, the dodgy one should have charged one or the other.

Off to one side a dour Hroon stands with a long whip lashing warningly. The weapon is tipped with a hand length stiletto blade and the warrior is surrounded by a wide circle of death. It does not advance, preferring to hold that circle with bloody tenacity.

The fight is slowing but also getting more intense. Those left are deadly combatants. Akkri shakes his head watching someone wield bladed fans to eviserative effect. A showy weapon with dubious advantages. The point is proven moments later as a burly fighter catches them on a leather wrapped forearm and wrenches them aside then impales the owner.

Nine becomes four, four becomes three. They circle each other warily, feeling out their opponents. A saber wielder and the man with the greatsword nod at each other and rush the whip wielding Hroon from both sides. The lethal point flashes and is parried, barely by the saber fighter. The Hroon recovers cracking it back over its shoulder and taking the greatsword barbarian by surprise. The point sinks into their chest and they vanish. In those precious seconds the human closes the gap and lops off the Hroon's trunk. With a burble the Hroon flees to the real. The river runs red today.

The man with the saber turns with a victorious grin. He raises his saber in victory and sprouts an arrow from his face. As the body slumps forward, the archer descends gracefully from a nearby building. She eyes Akkri defiantly.

"No one said it had to be swords."

"Indeed not... champion."

"Call me Erin."

Akkri will train Erinyes.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maldrogo-the Arena

Maldrogo sits in the stands of the arena, smiling, taking bets on the outcome, but he keeps glancing back to the entrance, as if in anticipation of something. His eyes sparkle as a flaming skull floats into the arena. The skull speaks, it's words loud enough for everyone to hear.

"My master Maldrago regrets that he will not be able to participate in this contest at this time. However, he wishes luck to all those who participate, as well as a gift to the mortal winner, whoever he or she may be."

At that, the skull explodes, and a silver coin drops to the ground, with a smiling face on one side, and a frowning face on the other.

A gift that binds to the winner! A coin that lets the holder convince anyone of anything...but, also makes the holder extremely gullible and believe anything he's told Lies +2, Bargains +2, Creation +2

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Mighty Ran - Arena

Ran, sometimes known as the Demon of Words, snaps his fingers. Scrolls appear and unfurl around him, thickening the air with the smell of vellum and ink. With this dramatic introduction to the arena, he announces his intentions in a loud voice.

"My challenge will be to write a poem that can touch even the heart of a god! A poem that the stars will recite inbetween their twinkling!"

He grins, revealing sharp teeth.

"And I will be taking on the challenges, for to nominate a champion to fight in my place...is cowardice!"

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

The Tournament

The tournament was brutal and hardfought; each contest focused on the top three (or top 4 in one event); one event only had 1 winner. The Ivory guardian overseeing it then pitted those that had won some amount in the final combat…

The Mirror of Horror

Ran merely saw an astoundingly handsome reflection of himself, for he was without fear; Gruk and Professor Arun managed to stay away their demons. The monsters created from the rest coagulated into one horrific Nightmare; the Nightmare, under Haamu, then performed the challenge, and lost to its own worst fear which was indescribable even to a god.

The Lift Event

Ranok La came in first, lifting the block effortlessly; Ran likewise lifted in an elegant way. Saz, eliciting gasps of surprise for his mortal strength in nudging it slightly off the ground. Erin and Lance both together tried to lift it, but failed.

The Poisoned Arrow Challenge

Professor Arun nimbly performed the procedure on his colleague, along with Ran and Hispus. Walter’s farmhand friend died, and the Nightmare was of no help at all to his equally terrifying colleague.

Finding Something Never Found

Ran and Ranok La came in largely ahead of everyone else; each finding something (I’ll let you detail what they found), as well as Enok, who secreted his item away. Professor Arun and the Nightmare did extremely poorly, and managed to lose a couple of items in the process.

Stealing Something from a God

Ran very deftly stole the bauble from Haamu, a gem of despair; Lance stole a plot of land from GRUMBOL in a very legalish way, Hispus stole something from Maldrogo (but I’m not saying what it isssss). The Nightmare failed to steal anything and Walter declined the challenge for moral reasons.

Growing Something in the Most Barren of Soil

For this challenge Ran grew an amazingly beautiful orchid plant out of the ground, Ranok La growing a twisting thorned vine and Walter making City One proud by growing some delicious corn. Only the Nightmare failed the challenge in a catastrophic way, kicking up dirt and dust in a horrific display of all fears.

Getting Lost in the Dreamlands, and Finding One’s Way Back

Ran easily took this challenge in stride; the many pathways of his home plane were not unlike the confusing twists of the Dreamlands, and he made much conversation with travelers along the way; the Nightmare came in second, its hunger for terror leading it quickly in its natural element. Ranok La, thanks to his position among the custodians was familiar with the area even once lost. The tournament ground to a halt when Reyhoa and Professor Arun became incredibly lost and had to be located.

Find an Artifact of the First Landing of the Gods

Ranok La found the First Artifact of the First Landing, with Saz and Ran coming in 2nd and 3rd respectively. The artifacts were strange, cursed…the Ivory Guardian’s attention shifted to them immediately.

The Mock Trial

The only one to pass this challenge was Ran himself in a flurry of prose and praise, the Rule of Law never seemed to personally touching. Gruk failed the worst by far, having lived a long time grifting had nothing relevant to say.

A Poem that would make a God Cry

Similar to the trial, Ran’s honeyed words touched all, some would say even GRUMBOL shed a silent tear. Ranok La came in second, a cold fury, liquid in prose. Suprisingly, the Nightmare and Erin came in third together, a joint poem about the horrors of war.

The Arena

The Ivory Guardian watched over the fighters as they were paired, each fight to the death. (It was unfortunately an uneven bracket so did the best I could.)

1st Brackets

The Nightmare vs Reyhoa, striking her down quickly.
Ran vs Saz, a narrow victory over the mortal.
Hispus vs Enok, Enok claiming an easy win.
Gruk vs Walter, Walter struggling to come out with a win.
Erin vs Professor Arun, with Arun being hopelessly outmatched at every moment.
Ranok La vs Lance, with Ranok La championing over Lance’s legal acuity through pure strength

2nd Brackets

The Nightmare vs Ran, with Ran’s confidence giving him the tool he needed against the incomprehensible being
Enok Vs Walter, with Walters farm-worker strength giving him the edge
Ranok La vs Erin, Akkri’s training proving true where Ranok La considered the true meaning of change as he left the demi-mortal coil

The Weird 3rd Bracket

Ran vs Walter, Ran toyed with the mortal until the mortal died
Ran vs Erin, for the championship: Akkri’s training had boosted Erin tremendously, and at moments Ran looked like he was done for; his many robes gave him the edge and Erin lost track of a killing blow as he spun.

Ran has won the Tournament for the Ivory Tower

Ran, as the crowds cheer, the Ivory Guardian nods and crumbles to dust. You suddenly find a silver coin in hand, as crafted by Maldrogo.

Note that anyone that perished in the combat has died, but I’ll allow for like posts indicating dieing words type of thing.

Dunrandin – City One

The Giant Cathedral evoked its name upon viewing, its massive structure blotting out the sun such that any part of the city had its shadow falling on it like a massive sundial. City One’s inhabitants began flocking to it.

End of the 1st Age Approaching!

Haamu – The Arena

The Mirror was crafted, and used to great effect as above; the implications of its further use are vast.

Maldrogo – The Arena

The gift has been made, and Ran’s ego is enhanced.

Ran – The Ivory Tower

You feel the power of the tower. More instructions to follow at the end of 1st Age update, but feel free to experiment.

The End of the 1st Age Approaches!

1 more action before the end of the 1st Age.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Avtotar - The Arena
The greatest of all the gods snapped his fingers, and Reyhoa stopped dying for a while. He could not save her, such was the rules of a contest to the death, but he could spend a few moments with her before she passed. Avtotar joined her on the bloodstained sand, grasping her remaining hand firmly - she smiled, proud to have been chosen by her god, to have him recognize her, and comforted by his touch. Not as widely known as his arrogance is his beside manner. She would pass on with a light heart, despite her violent past.

"You know I cannot save you."
"I knew when I entered the contest. I did okay"
"The other gods were not fair, you did better than okay."
"Thank you."
"Is there anything you'd like me to do or you'd like to say?"
"Save my notes, my potions, my methods. They let a human stand equal to the challenges."
"I will. Your legacy will remain."

Avtotar - Reyhoa's Hometown
Though she had lived for some time at the University, he felt that this was the place to build her legacy. With a nod, he created the buildings, and with a wave he filled them with equipment. A gifted student had died to the unfair machinations of dieties. How could a human stand against the cruel beings we gods dream up? Here, in this place mere mortals would learn to enhance themselves to stand against the whims of dieties. A second, secret school. A school of heroism and of fleshcrafting. A laboratory of mind and body.

Using Reyhoa's legacy of self-experimentation (& Healing +4, & Change +3) as the age closes to establish a school of heroes, to protect mortals from the nightmares and from godly meddling.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

GRUMBOL just sat there. Why would a god have competed?

He shook his head. The whole point was for demigods and mortals to compete. Otherwise GRUMBOL would have stepped in like originally planned. It was like watching a healthy man fight the disabled. Uninteresting. Uninspired. and a waste of time. What should have been something exciting was just a bore. Ranok-La was dead. Again. GRUMBOL grumbled. The more universes he manifested in the more they all stayed the same.

GRUMBOL's avatar projected itself elsewhere. Looking at the area surrounding the Ivory Lands metaphysically. There probably were other people to talk to out there.

Action: With disapproval, GRUMBOL is going exploring elsewhere. Felt like a ton of buildup for a bunch of nothing.

• Followers:
    • Ranok-La: Demigod [Dead]
  • Special:
  • Abilities:
    • Change [+3], Pantheon
    • [+2], one time use

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Akkri Sen Tav - Afterlife

Akkri's hand tightens on the hilt of Paragon as Erinyes is cut down by the fickle Ran. The failure is his, not his pupil's. A more complete arena would have bound the deity's power. For a moment he considers cutting a bloody swath through Ran's followers in recompense. For a longer moment he considers slashing his way into the fledgling afterlife and plucking his student from it. That too is dismissed. In a flash of steel Akkri makes up his mind and steps forth.

---

At the gates of the afterlife complex, a freshly disembodied soul washes onto shore. She raises her head and starts. Akkri puts out a hand to help her up.

"Let's discuss your guard, student," he rumbles as she gets to her feet.

Action: Continue training Erinyes in the underworld. In fact offer training to other souls of particular martial ability. Dojo of the Dead.

Assets
Clarion, +2 Sword of Purity
Kathraki worshippers
Erinyes and company, spectral students