Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blast of Confetti posted:

There will never be a better time to play priest because right now there's people at every level of the game to leech off of

that's a very good point and i'm glad i rolled one last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's a very good point and i'm glad i rolled one last night

on the other hand the fastest way to level up is your epic questline which is pretty much a solo thing. you can even do the dungeons solo, and they're probably faster that way too.

also, my experiences so far:
wizard - set everything on fire, wonder if you can make ice cream from ice magic, low HP but everything dies before it touches you

thief - why did I just run out of red potions ON THESE LEVEL 12 MOBS FROM THE EPIC QUESTLINE

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
seriously I wanted to think people were overreacting with thief but this is pretty bad. his dash has a TWO SECOND COOLDOWN, which blows my mind because runeblader's is the same thing except you can dash twice as often????

and then on top of that terrible dash, boss monsters that you have to be in melee range for are smacking me for more than half of my maximum health, so I have to potion after every hit I take... but because my dash is on cooldown for the length of the heat death of the universe, and potions take two universal implosions to come off cooldown, I end up just tediously kiting the drat boss around for a short period of time until I'm safe to go into taking-damage-range again.

Compared to Wizard which was such smooth sailing, this is just a mess so far

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

a cat on an apple posted:

simple wizard guide for idiots and goons and goon idiots:

make a macro that looks like this:

hold that macro button and the direction towards the enemy you want to kill.

congratulations, you're automatically animation cancelling your most powerful sustained dps attack so hard that your natural regeneration can not keep up with it. phantom claw in downtime, add in cooldowns if you want to do good damage I guess.

Open with Arcane Blast followed by Flame Tornado and cast them on cooldown and you're maximizing DPS.

If you don't want to run out of spirit alternating flame wave with phantom claw it still very quick and lets you cast indefinitely.

Unrelated to Wizard: I'm pretty lost and overwhelmed with all the stuff there is to do. So far I've just been following the main story quest and trying to level, but are there any particular or specific things outside the main story I should be angling to do on my way to the level cap?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
don't sell your gear, disassemble or whatever it is

is my tip

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a healer in a modern RO-like, the Priest's ability to solo is pretty much as good as it gets.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it sounds like leveling is markedly easier than in other mmos before it which is nice. it's a thing i like about gw2, where it's simple to get to a point where you can handle most of the content in the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Joestar posted:

it sounds like leveling is markedly easier than in other mmos before it which is nice. it's a thing i like about gw2, where it's simple to get to a point where you can handle most of the content in the game.

you can just do the main quest and nothing else and be level 50 by the end

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

For a healer in a modern RO-like, the Priest's ability to solo is pretty much as good as it gets.

in RO my heals heals could destroy undead

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's why I specified modern, RO-like. The past few Korean MMOs I played were absolutely awful to level as a healer. MS2 is a breeze.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to increase the size of the life bars over other players heads? It would make my job as a priest easier.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Necrosaro posted:

Is there any way to increase the size of the life bars over other players heads? It would make my job as a priest easier.

There's a party/raid panel at top left, everything in this game is clickable/draggable and also enlargeable, so try dragging it where you need it and then roll your scroll wheel over it and see if the UI element gets bigger.

No it doesn't enlarge the healthbar over your allies' heads, but it can make it a little easier to see what is going on with HP.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

How the heck do you get a house

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

purple death ray posted:

How the heck do you get a house

Get through the very first intro quest area in the storyline? then hit the little house button in bottom right.
And then DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO AUTISM because the housing system basically allows you to build whatever the gently caress you want including teleporting interior rooms and custom indoor maps in those interior rooms (saw someone who built what I can only assume is a bag of holding house, they had a tiny house on a like 12x12 map with a portal in the door, open the portal and step inside to a 14x20x4 map that is the first floor, walk through a portal next to the stairs to get to the 2nd floor, and walk out the portal on the south side of the house to walk onto a balcony on the exterior map)

House was easily the slickest thing i've seen in Maplestory 2 yet, and it was fully furnished in a rather intricate manner as though someone actually lived there and had been designed as a set piece in the game.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 12, 2018

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

orange juche posted:

Get through the very first intro quest area in the storyline? then hit the little house button in bottom right.
And then DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO AUTISM because the housing system basically allows you to build whatever the gently caress you want including teleporting interior rooms and custom indoor maps in those interior rooms (saw someone who built what I can only assume is a bag of holding house, they had a tiny house on a like 12x12 map with a portal in the door, open the portal and step inside to a 14x20x4 map that is the first floor, walk through a portal next to the stairs to get to the 2nd floor, and walk out the portal on the south side of the house to walk onto a balcony on the exterior map)

Oh jeez. That rules. You don't have to be like, high level or something to get a place? What is this witchcraft?

There's too many dang little buttons on the screen that I haven't learned anything about yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it loving owns how it seems like they're trying to directly shed the negative impression people had of the first game for various reasons

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
When I launch the game on steam it tells me to enter my nexon email and when I do it just says that it's already in use and to link an existing nexon account I need to enter my address but doing so just does the same thing and there's no links anywhere. Is there a way to make this happen or is it just bad on steam

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Dunno if there's enough of us around but if anyone on Oceanic wants to join up to MapleGoonbags then shoot me a message in the Discord.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is it usually better to spend maple coins on mapleopoly or maple spin?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

clone on the phone posted:

I am also in Oz and have only tried the Oceanic server, but I am suspicious of your claims. Oz to US East is a good 300-400ms judging by other games.

I guess I was trying to say, the lag, while it is visible, hasn't caused me any major grief yet. It doesn't feel different to playing Guild Wars 2, which doesn't have an Oceania server. You've got to put up with a bit, but no more than usual, and the game feels responsive enough

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Johnny Joestar posted:

They have different rewards. The spin thing gives you some cosmetics and you can preview them if you want. Monopoly gives you more useful things if you don't want the cosmetic stuff.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Johnny Joestar posted:

go mapleopoly until you get 50 passes to get all the rewards then vomit your coins into maple spin until you get everything else (five instruments, full outfis, maple fan mount), then go for as many copies of the outfit and maple fan mount you want, then it doesn't matter but mapleopoly gives better returns at that point for useful items long-term.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
After you play a character for ten hours, you get a freebie from the cash shop. You also have twenty-hour hours to buy a package for 499 blue merets that contains a faster flying mount, a piece of toast and five hundred red merets, which are unlocked when you get to level 50. You can buy exactly enough nexon cash to buy five hundred blue merets, which costs five USD, and red merets can be spent on almost anything blue merets can be spent on

So if you were going to spend five dollars on the game anyway, and assuming you can spend five hundred red merets in the cash shop on stuff you actually wanted, you get a 'free' flying mount and toast. Five hundred red merets is enough to buy a fancy title plate and chat bubble, or a couple of cosmetic items

Riding the bus

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

it loving owns how it seems like they're trying to directly shed the negative impression people had of the first game for various reasons

I remember the first game a decade or so ago as just hours of murdering an endless sea of snails and mushrooms for a fraction of a level that would be gone after a single death. In this game I can play a piano or run a race and suddenly gain a level.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You will, however, still have to murder an endless sea of snails to jump for a fraction of a level if you don't do the main scenario (which you should), funnily enough.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Can you sell sheet music you've made the way you can other ugc, or am I going to actually have to put effort into monetizing my midi-converting skills in an out of game fashion somehow

I mean, I'm gonna make all the anime midis regardless, cuz it's fun

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so far in the priest storyline i've annoyingly been knocked out like 3 times for plot reasons despite handily doing well in the fights but it keeps spitting levels at me so that's fine by me

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Joestar posted:

so far in the priest storyline i've annoyingly been knocked out like 3 times for plot reasons despite handily doing well in the fights but it keeps spitting levels at me so that's fine by me

That's just the game. "Did you just wipe the floor with the boss and take it down to 0 HP in no time? Actually... you lost."

I found it particularly more egregious with the wizard because you just wipe the floor with your school rival in a completely one-sided battle only to find out she won but "if only you could have hit her... she would have died", but it doesn't matter because you're still the favorite anyway so you get special treatment.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Best opening is knight, but I can’t tell you what it is except for saying that your knight trainer is a dickhead.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Pretty fun and cute game.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Johnny Joestar posted:

My first character is a priest and going into those fights and getting repeatedly knocked out and left crying in bed did not exactly fire me up to keep going but once you power through the class intro I've actually enjoyed the questing. If only it wasn't so tempting to just grind tradeskills, fish and explore instead of actually playing the game...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Yeah the priest intro was not fun.

I’m on the fence about the game. It feels very solo-y starting out. I guess once you get to 50 is when it makes sense to group?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Ehud posted:

Yeah the priest intro was not fun.

I’m on the fence about the game. It feels very solo-y starting out. I guess once you get to 50 is when it makes sense to group?

You'll hit your first dungeon in the epic questline somewhere around level 17, and then they just keep hitting those dungeons.

For max level PvE content, dungeons and raids are pretty much it. As far as I know, grinding monsters is only a thing for trophies.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blast of Confetti posted:

There will never be a better time to play priest because right now there's people at every level of the game to leech off of

Im not sure if you even need to leech. I just rolled Priest and I've powered to level 12 and I'm doing more damage than I was as my Gunner

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Apparently you can get a head item with custom jpgs??

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mike12345 posted:

Apparently you can get a head item with custom jpgs??

You can upload custom profile pictures, which can be any jpg, and then you can paste those onto certain things like those signboards around.

This game owns

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Been lurking for years and i just bought an account for this loving game to play with you guys on NA. Also played Eve with goons for a year.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Our first J4G!

Just kidding, as long as you're not a shitter, you'll be fine, thank you for supporting lowtax's robot spine.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Just a heads (lol) up that using real people faces is against the ugc rules and will probably get you reported, tho, so Please Be Careful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Its nice to be able to post too. Right now im just taking advantage of the boss feeding frenzy, got a 60 priest and a wizard on the way. Easy way to get chars to 60 is to just park characters at beach111 once they hit 50 and watch the timers, play alts until the turtle shows up, log in the 50 for the boss. Im wondering what kind of pvp there will be, i saw the zones on the left but didnt investigate more than killing a few mobs in there for epic quest.