Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Fart City posted:

Yeah, the big fight at the end is just so... noisy. It really doesn't help that it's just two very similar looking cgi elements banging together loudly.

Is it anything like Hulk Vs Nick Nolte at the end of Hulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mameluke posted:

Riot was an idiot who took 6 months to figure out commercial air travel. Once Riz Ahmed started hosting him, Riz just wanted to use Riot to get off Earth and be an immortal tentacle explorer.

I too wish to be an explorer of immortal tentacles
They can explore me, too

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also venom destroying eddie's organs to the point that even like a day of having venom the doctor is saying his heart and kidneys are about to fail and venom just says "nuh uh" and that is just the end of it. I guess eddie dies offscreen five minutes after the movie ends.

I think its that its only if Venom doesent eat he consumes eddies organs so as long as he keeps eating bad guys hes fine.

Also this movie was lopsided as hell. First act way too long and dull, middle act decent, third act a mess. It felt like it finished as soon as it finally started getting anywhere.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 9, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

That at least that the benefit of a fairly strong color contrast, if I’m remembering correctly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mameluke posted:

Riot was an idiot who took 6 months to figure out commercial air travel. Once Riz Ahmed started hosting him, Riz just wanted to use Riot to get off Earth and be an immortal tentacle explorer.

i like the idea that the world of symbiotes is like the planet equivalent of an Affliction t-shirt, and Venom being capable of emotion and empathy makes him a total loser on his home planet because everyone else is a big dumb bro blob

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

massive spider posted:

I think its that its only if Venom doesent eat he consumes eddies organs so as long as he keeps eating bad guys hes fine.

That seems like a reasonable thing for it to be, but the scene in the movie venom is lying like a little kid when the doctor is explaining it, like he was trying to cover it up instead of it being a thing. Like he was hiding he was killing eddie instead of explaining he needed to feed for eddie to survive

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DC Murderverse posted:

i like the idea that the world of symbiotes is like the planet equivalent of an Affliction t-shirt, and Venom being capable of emotion and empathy makes him a total loser on his home planet because everyone else is a big dumb bro blob

That was basically his origin back in the day. The symbiotes were like locusts that sucked up life on world after world. Venom was all, "Hey, how about if we try coexisting with our hosts like actual symbiotes?" Then they shoved him into a prison for being crazy.

Secret Wars happened, Spider-Man walked by the prison and figured it was this clothes-making machine Thor told him about earlier.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DC Murderverse posted:

I liked the whole

"Do we have any chance against this guy?"

"He's got poo poo up his sleeve you could never dream of."

"Well gently caress it, let's die trying to save the planet."
exchange.

Also Venom kissing Eddie after rescuing him and transferring over during the kiss.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My favorite bad editing is venom turning on his species because of the kindness eddie showed him and the wonders of earth he saw which all must have happened totally off screen in another movie.

Hey he saw a really nice view of San Fran at night from the top of a building

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I wish

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The complaint about CGI goopy Venom fighting CGI goopy Riot is the same complaint I had about MCU Hulk's movie with Ed Norton when he fights Abomination at the end. It's just CGI Blobs going at it and it's not good. Except for some reason people wanna defend the Incredible Hulk fight when it is not good.

Ang Lee Hulk supremacy.

Contrast that with CGI Colossus fighting Gina Carano and Juggernaught. That's good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ayo for real though, the best special effect in the movie is Woody Harrelson's loving insane wig

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My favorite bad editing is venom turning on his species because of the kindness eddie showed him and the wonders of earth he saw which all must have happened totally off screen in another movie.

He rode on Annie and wanted to ride on Annie again.

The movie is big dumb fun that fully embraces it and everyone in the movie being dumb as a bag of rocks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I liked the whole

"Do we have any chance against this guy?"

"He's got poo poo up his sleeve you could never dream of."

He then runs headlong into battle and Riot pulls out those massive blades and while trying to avoid getting cut up, Venom takes a split-second to say to Eddie "See? I told you!"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I liked that took that Malaysian woman 6 months to walk to the airport.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fart City posted:

ayo for real though, the best special effect in the movie is Woody Harrelson's loving insane wig

"Hello, Bart..."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just got back from it. I kind of enjoyed it, Hardy and Ahmed were great. Whilst not great by any means it did at least have a theme of symbiosis/cooperation verses parasitic relationships.

Sucked to wait through a bad Eminem song for the mid credit scene and walk out as a good RTJ track played.

It was okay without Spider-Man but might have benefited from that relationship, but mostly I think Venom needed something breaking up all the black as his spider logo should. At least white veins or something.

Why did they establish Drake was born to English parents then have him speak with an American accent?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why did they establish Drake was born to English parents then have him speak with an American accent?
Adapting to his new environment.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Just saw this and actually thought it was pretty decent. No entirely sure why I like it either because there was alot of dumb edgelord to go around and that last fight was a mess. I like Tom Hardy as Venom, his performance helped immensely and I like his banter with the symbiote. Michelle Williams is good strong love interest. Aside from the final showdown the action was very entertaining, I thought that car chase scene was pretty dope. Riz Ahmed's character Drake is the most boring and entirely forgettable evil corporate villain you could imagine. Generally good performance's all around though despite some pretty dodgey writing. Definitely could have used an R rating and some extra footage getting to know Brock/Earth a bit more IMO.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Gavok posted:

"Hello, Bart..."

Bahaha...

holy poo poo :stare:

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I liked that Brock whatever, the famous, hard-hitting investigative journalist apparently prefers the "YouTube crackpot" approach to his interviews.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This was better than I expected it to be. It's a lot more fun once Venom shows up. It could have been way worse but was reasonably fun. The lack of gore in obvious situations where there should have been something anything was a tad, distracting I guess? I liked a lot of the small comic book nods they trickled in, the teaser was a great setup, so yeah it's aight.

The CGI for a lot of bits really did seem way below par for what ought to be possible these days. Venom looked real good p much through out, but some of the other symbiote sequences really seemed ugly and low rent. Final fight is underwhelming, but I'm at this point struggling to think of too many super hero films that actually satisfy me in that regard (Homecoming, IM1, Infinity War are the ones that jump out at me).

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 11, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I actually don't know much about Venom beyond the origin, I think I read a Spectacular Spider-man story with Eddie, then the transition to Mac Gargan. Any reading recommendations?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Capilarean posted:

I liked that Brock whatever, the famous, hard-hitting investigative journalist apparently prefers the "YouTube crackpot" approach to his interviews.

It seemed true to the world of comic books. It's very much what 12 year old boys would think a hard hitting interview would be like.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

does Elon Musk talk with an accent? (I genuinely do not know because i try to actively avoid hearing him speak)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, he does.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I actually don't know much about Venom beyond the origin, I think I read a Spectacular Spider-man story with Eddie, then the transition to Mac Gargan. Any reading recommendations?

I wrote up a reading order list, but the better stories:

- Venom: Lethal Protector
- Venom: The Hunger
- Anti-Venom: New Ways to Live
- Venom: Rex

Also, Mac Gargan Venom had an awesome miniseries called Dark Reign: Sinister Spider-Man that's an outright blast. Mike Costa's run on Venom was solid, but there's no stand-out storyline in there.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like that venom isn’t a code name or anything in this. Loser goo just has a stupid given name.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DC Murderverse posted:

does Elon Musk talk with an accent? (I genuinely do not know because i try to actively avoid hearing him speak)

Literally every human talks with an accent.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The CGI for a lot of bits really did seem way below par for what ought to be possible these days.

I think a lot of it is to do with the lighting and shadow. Note when Eddie's head is revealed when the Venom face is peeled back, the shadowing looks like some 90s 3D game level of 'meh there's a shadow there but we're not gonna do it accurately because we can't'

The other scene when he's in the store and does the same thing it's like they didn't even have Hardy in there, it just looks like a weird lifeless CGI head. SFX definitely weren't the best in this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Steve2911 posted:

Literally every human talks with an accent.

Except for Americans, they just sound like Stephen Hawking's voice box.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Olympic Mathlete posted:

SFX definitely weren't the best in this.

I feel really sad that the first few times they show a symbiote the animation for it is amazing. Like it's some totally unique thing where it's both animated like a stop motion video of a slime mold but is clearly more intentional and is also rolling and pulling itself as it's base oozes out in pseudopods. It was so good looking and so gross and creepy and I can't think of anything else that does anything similar.

Then at some point they just stopped and it sort of just moved like a slug that had little black criss cross veins under it that it slid over. And the slime mold effect never really appeared in any of the costume stuff. they could have at least make venom move smoothly like jake the dog and keep riot as a gross shambling fungus made of octopus tentacles like the first few shots.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 12, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The shiny Venom suit was terrible. Looked so cheap. I hope they improve the texture a bit in the next one.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I've got you covered.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
This movie's last scene should've been in the middle, and the middle of the movie should've been twenty minutes longer with more time for Eddie to get emotionally attached to Venom just as much as the rush of power.

Apart from that, great movie, will buy on Blu-Ray.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
did venom mind control the ex wife lady to make out with eddie, physically control her or ask her to do it? That whole scene seems really creepy in retrospect.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

did venom mind control the ex wife lady to make out with eddie, physically control her or ask her to do it? That whole scene seems really creepy in retrospect.

They don't go into it further beyond the fact it was Venom's idea but she liked it.

EDIT: Since this is not explained I can only guess what happened. Venom approaches a lot of interpersonal relationships in the movie supportively but not forcefully. He was in the car with Eddie and his ex and suggested to him to apologize because he might never get another chance. I can only assume that Venom approached the situation the same way with her.

Naz al-Ghul fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 13, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Venom was box office #1 in the UK this week with takings about equal to Johnny English and A Star Is Born combined. I guess it's doing better than I thought, although I should say there seems to have been a distribution issue for A Star Is Born that kept it out of one of the big chains until yesterday. I expect First Man or Star might knock it off but it's encouraging for chances of a sequel.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw the movie and it was loving terrible and I loved it

Like good god what the gently caress did I just watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Just saw it in 3D.

Bad but also really good is the best description. It has some really great aspects. Fix the cgi add more depth to the bad guy and it could be even better.

Would have been better with an R rating I think. But I guess they were really going for the young teen demographic.