Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This movie made me have a big goofy grin on my face for the entire second half. Just a lot of fun! I actually enjoyed most of the first half as well since it meant more Hardy. They should have given Venom more time to develop since his face turn comes really abrupt, but I respect them for not turning this into a 150 minute epic. The final fight was pretty bad but I enjoyed the slow motion shots. I give this a solid endorsement!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Renoistic posted:

This movie made me have a big goofy grin on my face for the entire second half. Just a lot of fun! I actually enjoyed most of the first half as well since it meant more Hardy. They should have given Venom more time to develop since his face turn comes really abrupt, but I respect them for not turning this into a 150 minute epic. The final fight was pretty bad but I enjoyed the slow motion shots. I give this a solid endorsement!

It doesn't feel like this needed to be 150 minutes, it seems like just editing down the first 45 minutes then expanded the scenes that needed expanding would have done it. So much stuff that happens in the first part just doesn't need to be shown or could happen in half the time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just watched it and it was a lot of fun. Tom Hardy was just having the time of his life

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I would love to know what someone totally unfamiliar with the character thought of this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zer0spunk posted:

I would love to know what someone totally unfamiliar with the character thought of this

Someone I work with barely knows what Spiderman is, letalone Venom, and she loved it.

She thought it was a new IP and has no idea it was even based on anything.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

All I know about venom is from the 90s cartoon and marvel vs capcom 2. Does he drive a van in the movie?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just watched it and it was a lot of fun. Tom Hardy was just having the time of his life

Do we think "turd in the wind" was improvised by him?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do we think "turd in the wind" was improvised by him?

That must have been a weird week for the animator.

Hey yeah, I'm just calling to make sure we got like, the right take. Oh, okay. We did? Okay. No, it's fine. This is going to totally make my father understand why I didn't go into med school.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this yesterday to kill some time before Halloween, and for the most part it was surprisingly decent considering some of the negative reactions. But who's the guy in prison at the very end supposed to be?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Just saw this yesterday to kill some time before Halloween, and for the most part it was surprisingly decent considering some of the negative reactions. But who's the guy in prison at the very end supposed to be?

Serial killer Cletus Cassidy who will become the host of Venom's nemesis/offspring Carnage.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Saw Venom last night. It was dumb as hell, and it should have been a hard R. Still immensely enjoyed myself.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm glad this movie skips a lot of the stuff the comics has done and goes straight to the more interesting current ones where the symbiote has an actual personality and interacts with Eddie Brock like a person. The Eddie-Venom banter leading to a relationship is the best part.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Serial killer Cletus Cassidy who will become the host of Venom's nemesis/offspring Carnage.

Isn't one of the four Symbiotes collected unaccounted for? Venom, Riot, an unnamed one that was destroyed, leaves one more which send the best origin for it herr?

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Isn't one of the four Symbiotes collected unaccounted for? Venom, Riot, an unnamed one that was destroyed, leaves one more which send the best origin for it herr?

IIRC you see one of the symbiotes is already dead when Eddie sneaks into the lab and later the other unnamed symbiote dies after its used to kill Jenny Slate's character.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Horrible Taste posted:

IIRC you see one of the symbiotes is already dead when Eddie sneaks into the lab and later the other unnamed symbiote dies after its used to kill Jenny Slate's character.

What a giant waste of jenny slate by the way.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

zer0spunk posted:

What a giant waste of jenny slate by the way.

Agreed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

Ok thanks, it clearly meant something to some guy in the theater who went "oooh" so I have the general idea at least.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok thanks, it clearly meant something to some guy in the theater who went "oooh" so I have the general idea at least.

Carnage was them taking the concept of venom being "edgy" and trying to crank it to ten thousand. I'm a little worried for a pg13 version of that, in a perfect world they'd let him play it similar to natural born killers.

That wig was brutal.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

Carnage was them taking the concept of venom being "edgy" and trying to crank it to ten thousand. I'm a little worried for a pg13 version of that, in a perfect world they'd let him play it similar to natural born killers.

That wig was brutal.

I have a feeling they're gonna try going an R rated route with Carnage.

Have you seen this dude? The symbiote mixed straight into his bloodstream, that's about as grody as it gets :barf:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Director said in an interview that Carnage didn't "need to be R". They're never gonna cut off 13 year olds from these movies because they're the target audience.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
They'll probably have him be a life-force draining creature like in the 90s Spider-man cartoon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Parrotine posted:

I have a feeling they're gonna try going an R rated route with Carnage.

Have you seen this dude?

I saw him on Broadway!

No, for real, Carnage was in Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.

I don't sweat PG-13 Carnage too much. Like 95% of his comic appearances have been PG-13.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Carnage was also the villain of the final arc of that 90s Spider-Man cartoon. His host was another Spider-Man from another dimension instead of Cletus.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah they could definitely do it PG-13.

They shouldn't but they will.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean at the time Venom and Carnage were the new hotness in the comics they were very solidly PG-13. These characters don’t really need explicit content to do what they do.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I just don't want Hannibal lector carnage and that seems to be where it's heading. But then again I didn't think I'd care about this movie enough to get this far so...shrug.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You don’t think 13 year olds were seeing Deadpool? Do movie theatres even give a loving poo poo anymore?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't that literally why they're rereleasing Deadpool next month?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Azubah posted:

It's because they have nothing else and it's easier just to recut this and ship it out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Deadpool is just a gift that keeps giving to the studio. He wears a mask so dialogue can be replaced wholesale, and they probably took loads of extra takes with different jokes like for the supercut. And it's a good time of year to put out something that can be bought for tweens.

Can't begrudge them it either, it would have been so easy for them to have not made a movie like Deadpool.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I guess the queen really liked Venom.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1063485248435089410

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

zer0spunk posted:

That wig was brutal.

I read a comic with carnage in it as a kid. I still remember the term "gut pudding" when he crushed a bunch of people together into mush.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Azubah posted:

I think it’s more for international release, I don’t think the r rated version was able to release in China

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It’s a good thing I’m not Queen or some such cause I’d be like “Michelle Wild, for your lifetime of service, you are awarded the highest honor of the Empire. Congrats!”

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Dacap posted:

I think it’s more for international release, I don’t think the r rated version was able to release in China

if Deadpool 2 is getting a release in China then they probably cut Yukio out, unless China suddenly reversed its policy regarding portrayals of LGBTQ couples in media

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/VenomMovie/status/1067523718102999040

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh boy one whole hour

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Bonus Materials Include:

Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!

Deleted & Extended Scenes: These deleted and extended scenes will give fans even more of the Venom action they loved in theaters!

Ride to Hospital – Eddie and Venom take a ride to the hospital.

Car Alarm – Let’s just say that Venom is not fond of car alarms.

San Quentin – Extended post-credits scene at San Quentin.

From Symbiote to Screen: A mini documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and Director and Comic Fanboy Kevin Smith.

The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome Motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.

Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.

Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists; follow the amazing journey.

Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.

8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight chorography compared to the finished film.

“Venom” by Eminem – Music Video

“Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…

4K Ultra HD™ Includes:

Feature film presented with Dolby Vision high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound

Also includes the film and special features on the included high-def Blu-ray

VENOM has a run time of approximately 112 minutes and is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for language.

https://www.newsarama.com/42861-venom-blu-ray-release-date-and-special-features.html

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kevin Smith is just about everywhere.

Also Venom is now over 822 million worldwide which means it has surpassed most of the MCU. China is apparently the biggest contributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was ok I guess. Really sloppy.