Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
:siren::dehumanize::siren: REQUIRED LISTENING FOR THREAD https://youtu.be/8CdcCD5V-d8 LEAVE ON LOOP WHILE READING :siren::dehumanize::siren:

DVR The Sopranos and put the latest Usher tracks on your generic-brand MP3 player, because it’s 2004 again, and quoting Napoleon Dynamite is only just starting to get old. America is just about to re-elect a president that can barely string together a sentence, and the only thing it loves at its cineplexes more than Shrek is big-name directors using no-name actors to make big-budget adaptations of superhero comic books. Tobey Macguire is Spider-Man, Eric Bana is the Hulk, and... Iron Man? Who? Isn’t that the superhero whose only defining characteristic is his drinking problem? What a C-tier loser.

But what the public really wants is a movie that really takes superheroes seriously. I’m talking a grim fable full of pathos and tragic heroes and villains. I need a story that’s not afraid to get dark now and then, and I’ve never heard of Christopher Nolan.

Complete with post-golden age Eminem on the soundtrack, Venom is here to fulfill all your dark and twisted superhero needs. The people need to know that comic books CAN be serious! We need dark and gritty, we need... we... oh my God, I’m sorry. I can’t keep up this facade.

Venom is hilarious. It might be one of the funniest movies of the year. Venom is a movie where Tom Hardy plays good-cop-bad-cop with himself. It’s a buddy cop movie consisting of one guy, and Hardy channels enough Jim Carrey to make it work. His mannerisms are ridiculous, his mild-mannered temperament in full play as he repeatedly apologizes to people while murdering the gently caress out of them.

You may be thinking, “well I bet it’s not intentional, it must just be because the movie is bad.” But I don’t think that’s the case. By the time a hungry Eddie Brock runs right into a upper-class restaurant, dunks himself in the lobster tank, and eats one alive with a “why are you giving me that look” facial expression, Venom has already told you what movie it wants to be. Riz Ahmed chews scenery as a maniacal CEO, whose commercial space exploration company is basically just a front for him and his rich buddies to leave Earth once global warming does it in, an act which is patently ridiculous and I’m sure has no basis in real life whatsoever.

Add a climax of barely-comprehensible CGI and Venom is the year’s biggest surprise, a throwback to when comic book adaptations were all inherently a bit goofy, and not in the insufferable quips-per-minute way. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll beg the theater to stop the credits before you have to hear more of Eminem insisting he’s still got it.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I said it in the comic movie thread but it feels like the first hour of this movie has like 3 jokes total and is unrelentlessly dull and gritty then the second venom shows up it's joke a minute. But it's weird because almost all the jokes are dubbed in as venom talking in eddie's head. So it really feels like they planned to maybe have 3-5 jokes in the second half to match the tone of the first half then someone said nah and just dubbed in constant goofs.

I really don’t think this is it. Most of the humor of the movie comes from Hardy’s mannerisms, and you can’t exactly add in things like Hardy chickening out of jumping out of a skyscraper and Venom possessing a tiny purse dog in post. The film definitely feels like the humor was intentional.

The movie’s tone is in this utterly bizarre place that’s halfway between the goofy movie adaptation of The Mask and its horrifying ultraviolent original comics, and I kinda love it for it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gatts posted:

I liked the movie but I think that song is not good.

It’s not, but to make up for it, those of you who can sit through it during the credits will be rewarded with the first song off of RTJ4.

Also, a new clip from Enter the Spider-Verse, which looks even more gorgeous when it’s edited like a movie and not like a trailer.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Please, guys. Everyone knows the true Venom fan's energy drink of choice is Rockstar.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Critics are people as well, and I've seen loads that can appreciate what a film is trying to do, even if it's not their cup of tea. Mark Kermode is usually good at this. But they still have jobs to do, and giving Venom a good review is like giving a good review to the Room. Yes it's a lot of fun to watch, but it's also a poorly made piece of poo poo. How do you professionally grade something like that? I can't really blame the critics.

I mean, I feel like the solution is to eliminate a standard of objective quality for films, so don’t stick a number at the end, and if a movie is poorly-made but entertaining then just admit it. This is less of a problem for movies than it is other mediums, but Rotten Tomatoes sure does enforce their binary goals onto a review.

I also don’t like the idea that Tom Hardy’s goofy-rear end acting or the movie’s new take on Venom being a dork are “accidents” and not things you should include in your analysis of the movie. Lord knows everything about the Street Fighter movie didn’t stop Raul Julia from being amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think Venom should integrated with the MCU on the nevernth film.