Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

loving awful. Loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pirate Jet posted:

The movie’s tone is in this utterly bizarre place that’s halfway between the goofy movie adaptation of The Mask and its horrifying ultraviolent original comics, and I kinda love it for it.

I was legit hoping Venom would burst into Cuban Pete during the cop standoff scenes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gatts posted:

I liked the movie but I think that song is not good.

Eminem's Venom or Cuban Pete? :(

Pirate Jet posted:

Also, a new clip from Enter the Spider-Verse, which looks even more gorgeous when it’s edited like a movie and not like a trailer.

Yeah that was an awful pick for this movie though. The crowd at my screening loved the Carnage reveal, but could not give less of a poo poo about Spiderverse.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is Eddie Brock moving to San Fran actually canon with the comics at any point? It felt like that was a deliberate decision to avoid having to mention or reference Spider Man (who I assume still exists in this 'universe', he's just not important enough to mention).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JonathonSpectre posted:

It's... something.

This is the movie where I felt the PG-13 by far the hardest. This is a character whose whole thing is actually physically eating people with his giant fangs and there's not a drop of blood to be seen.

There's this hilarious scene where a symbiote makes these 30' blade arms (VERY SPECIFICALLY BLADES) and then swings them at a room full of people and when the blades hit them they are comically swept offscreen in a blur and there isn't a drop of blood at all or even the suggestion of real violence in any way.

The big fight at the end is a headscratcher that reminded me of a random fight in a Transformer film.

Venom bites off people's loving heads and there is no blood. He devours someone and there is no blood. Not even the suggestion of blood. It's just weird.

I still kind of liked it. It wasn't good. But it was, sort of, in a strange way, interesting.

I legit think an R-rated version where you actually saw how awful what Venom did was and would have made Eddie's slow acceptance of that evil for the power it brings a lot more interesting. As it is it seems like a weird wacky buddy comedy where inhumanly awful carnivorous violence is alluded to every few minutes.

Just loving lol if they try to do a PG-13 Carnage movie.

The complete lack of blood is even more jarring in the UK where it was given a 15 rating (which is a licence to do pretty much anything except torture, extreme/realistic gore and vaginas).

I'm pretty sure it was only given that because the homeless people deaths, while bloodless, were still pretty brutal looking for 12 year olds.

e: Also, huge shout out to the fact that Riot seemed to spend six months shambling around as the same little old Malaysian woman before he figured out how to get on a plane.

stev fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 9, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also venom destroying eddie's organs to the point that even like a day of having venom the doctor is saying his heart and kidneys are about to fail and venom just says "nuh uh" and that is just the end of it. I guess eddie dies offscreen five minutes after the movie ends.

My take from that is that Venom's basically keeping Eddie alive now and if they're separated his organs will be hosed (similar to how Venom propped his broken legs up with goo).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DC Murderverse posted:

does Elon Musk talk with an accent? (I genuinely do not know because i try to actively avoid hearing him speak)

Literally every human talks with an accent.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Interesting to see a 30% rotten critic rating with a 89% audience score.

Either critics are out of touch, conspiring against X studio/director/actor or hate fun. Or the general moviegoing public just likes trash and is causing the slow death of film.

Or RT is an awful metric.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maxwell Lord posted:

By what metric is this really poorly made though? It’s trying to be a dark comic monster movie and, well, is. The plot makes sense and doesn’t get bogged down in exposition, the humor works and builds in a nice way, the photography is I guess just okay but I didn’t see anything egregiously ugly either.

It looks like poo poo. The script is awful. The first hour drags on for years. The forced bloodlessness is jarring. The plot is about as generic as it gets.

It has an enjoyable performance in the second half. That's great, but it doesn't make it good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MiddleOne posted:

I'd be more harsh on the terrible CGI on CGI in the dark fight-scene if it wasn't for the fact that Black Panther ended in the exact same rubbish way.

I could see what was going on in Black Panther, and the two things fighting weren't amorphous blobs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zer0spunk posted:

I would love to know what someone totally unfamiliar with the character thought of this

Someone I work with barely knows what Spiderman is, letalone Venom, and she loved it.

She thought it was a new IP and has no idea it was even based on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah they could definitely do it PG-13.

They shouldn't but they will.