Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I said it in the comic movie thread but it feels like the first hour of this movie has like 3 jokes total and is unrelentlessly dull and gritty then the second venom shows up it's joke a minute. But it's weird because almost all the jokes are dubbed in as venom talking in eddie's head. So it really feels like they planned to maybe have 3-5 jokes in the second half to match the tone of the first half then someone said nah and just dubbed in constant goofs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pirate Jet posted:

I really don’t think this is it. Most of the humor of the movie comes from Hardy’s mannerisms, and you can’t exactly add in things like Hardy chickening out of jumping out of a skyscraper and Venom possessing a tiny purse dog in post. The film definitely feels like the humor was intentional.

I wouldn't guess that some original cut had zero jokes, him not jumping was clearly filmed in, but does he even react to what venom calls him at all? I don't think he even moves his face on some of the dubbed in lines. Like that whole deadpool-esq speech at the end about ripping a guy's arms off that doesn't remotely fit with whats happening on screen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My favorite bad editing is venom turning on his species because of the kindness eddie showed him and the wonders of earth he saw which all must have happened totally off screen in another movie.

Also venom destroying eddie's organs to the point that even like a day of having venom the doctor is saying his heart and kidneys are about to fail and venom just says "nuh uh" and that is just the end of it. I guess eddie dies offscreen five minutes after the movie ends.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also I love how dumb riot's plan is. The comet was at least months away, at least long enough for a billionaire to build and staff a whole lab between the time they find aliens and get them back to earth.

So like, riot was going to super slowly fly for months, scoop up a bunch of aliens then super slowly fly back and hope earth just never cares, then when he's back he's got 1 million goops that can only live for like, an hour? on earth unaided? the blue goop that murders the lady dies in a few minutes because the guard scientists didn't want to watch her die and looked away for like, a few minutes, 15 maybe? And that was enough for it to entirely die.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

massive spider posted:

I think its that its only if Venom doesent eat he consumes eddies organs so as long as he keeps eating bad guys hes fine.

That seems like a reasonable thing for it to be, but the scene in the movie venom is lying like a little kid when the doctor is explaining it, like he was trying to cover it up instead of it being a thing. Like he was hiding he was killing eddie instead of explaining he needed to feed for eddie to survive

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like that venom isn’t a code name or anything in this. Loser goo just has a stupid given name.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Olympic Mathlete posted:

SFX definitely weren't the best in this.

I feel really sad that the first few times they show a symbiote the animation for it is amazing. Like it's some totally unique thing where it's both animated like a stop motion video of a slime mold but is clearly more intentional and is also rolling and pulling itself as it's base oozes out in pseudopods. It was so good looking and so gross and creepy and I can't think of anything else that does anything similar.

Then at some point they just stopped and it sort of just moved like a slug that had little black criss cross veins under it that it slid over. And the slime mold effect never really appeared in any of the costume stuff. they could have at least make venom move smoothly like jake the dog and keep riot as a gross shambling fungus made of octopus tentacles like the first few shots.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 12, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
did venom mind control the ex wife lady to make out with eddie, physically control her or ask her to do it? That whole scene seems really creepy in retrospect.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nazgul posted:

They don't go into it further beyond the fact it was Venom's idea but she liked it.

I don't think it'd be a good conversation to try to work out exactly how PROBLEMATIC the movie venom is but the hero getting to kiss the girl because she was mind controlled but her liking it is the most 80s thing imaginable and it really is true that this whole movie feels like it slipped in from some other universe where this was made in like 1994 or something. Like everything about it feels so throwback, but not even in a nostalgic way, just like they hired someone that never watched another movie since the exact day he read the first venom comic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The whole kiss thing seemed so fetishy and weirder the more you thought about it. My best guess on the logic was venom didn't actually infect the lady and was just physically encasing her. Because this movie seemed really harsh on how damaging symbiote infections are. And we saw how transfer usually goes: literally a one second touch that makes the person's eyes flash instead of the mass of the blob being on the outside and having to physically enter the person's face.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Steve2911 posted:

Either critics are out of touch, conspiring against X studio/director/actor or hate fun. Or the general moviegoing public just likes trash and is causing the slow death of film.

Or RT is an awful metric.

I think movies are good and bad on a bunch of different metrics.

Is cars 2 a better or worse movie than food fight? The answer varies wildly based on what you mean by "better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Renoistic posted:

This movie made me have a big goofy grin on my face for the entire second half. Just a lot of fun! I actually enjoyed most of the first half as well since it meant more Hardy. They should have given Venom more time to develop since his face turn comes really abrupt, but I respect them for not turning this into a 150 minute epic. The final fight was pretty bad but I enjoyed the slow motion shots. I give this a solid endorsement!

It doesn't feel like this needed to be 150 minutes, it seems like just editing down the first 45 minutes then expanded the scenes that needed expanding would have done it. So much stuff that happens in the first part just doesn't need to be shown or could happen in half the time.