Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As a guy who knows way too much about Venom in the comics, I find it pretty funny how instead of blowing their load on the one Venom villain anyone knows, they went with:

1) An evil businessman who hasn't shown up since 1994. He wasn't even killed off. He just wandered off and swore he'd get revenge on Spider-Man, never to be heard from again.

2) Another evil businessman who is reimagined in the movie as a highly-trained head of security goon. Also stopped showing up since 1994.

3) Venom's least important of seven children. Eight if you count his clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Steve2911 posted:

Is Eddie Brock moving to San Fran actually canon with the comics at any point? It felt like that was a deliberate decision to avoid having to mention or reference Spider Man (who I assume still exists in this 'universe', he's just not important enough to mention).

Yeah. Back in the 90's, there was a time when Ann (Eddie's ex-wife in the comics instead of former fiancee) convinced him that Spider-Man was a good guy and Venom stopped blaming him for all of his problems. Venom then got his own spinoff series, in which the first story, Lethal Protector, was the inspiration for the movie. He moved to his home town of San Francisco, where he helped protect a hidden society of homeless people. Even though this was a status quo created to keep him separated from Spider-Man, they still found ways to bring in guys like Morbius, Punisher, Juggernaut and, well, Spider-Man to play off of.

Then after like two years of this, the writers just quietly had him go back to NYC so it was easier to do Spider-Man crossovers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DC Murderverse posted:

i like the idea that the world of symbiotes is like the planet equivalent of an Affliction t-shirt, and Venom being capable of emotion and empathy makes him a total loser on his home planet because everyone else is a big dumb bro blob

That was basically his origin back in the day. The symbiotes were like locusts that sucked up life on world after world. Venom was all, "Hey, how about if we try coexisting with our hosts like actual symbiotes?" Then they shoved him into a prison for being crazy.

Secret Wars happened, Spider-Man walked by the prison and figured it was this clothes-making machine Thor told him about earlier.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fart City posted:

ayo for real though, the best special effect in the movie is Woody Harrelson's loving insane wig

"Hello, Bart..."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I actually don't know much about Venom beyond the origin, I think I read a Spectacular Spider-man story with Eddie, then the transition to Mac Gargan. Any reading recommendations?

I wrote up a reading order list, but the better stories:

- Venom: Lethal Protector
- Venom: The Hunger
- Anti-Venom: New Ways to Live
- Venom: Rex

Also, Mac Gargan Venom had an awesome miniseries called Dark Reign: Sinister Spider-Man that's an outright blast. Mike Costa's run on Venom was solid, but there's no stand-out storyline in there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheMopeSquad posted:

I like the idea that the symbiotes in the movie were apparently like a beefy special forces A-Team. It would have been cool if we got to see the other two symbiotes maybe their codenames would be like "Tango" "Buzzsaw" "Maverick". Or just any name from "The Running Man".

For the hell of it, here's a list of every symbiote name from the comics. All of them pretty much work for this.

- Venom
- Carnage
- Riot
- Lasher
- Phage
- Agony
- Scream
- Hybrid
- Toxin
- Scorn
- Mania/Maniac
- Rex

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

PJOmega posted:

Please tell me that this is the goodest symboyite.

No, that would be Lasher.

Rex was part of a failed experiment when the government tried giving soldiers symbiotes in Vietnam (in a story called, awesomely enough, Ve'nam). One of the hosts was named Rex Strickland and when he died, the symbiote took his form and copied his personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Parrotine posted:

I have a feeling they're gonna try going an R rated route with Carnage.

Have you seen this dude?

I saw him on Broadway!

No, for real, Carnage was in Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.

I don't sweat PG-13 Carnage too much. Like 95% of his comic appearances have been PG-13.