Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Got my mail in dropped off :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voted in person absentee just now.:feelsgood:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Godholio posted:

So I got one of those voting info booklets people were talking about. I didn't bother looking at it, but I brought it to work since I knew I'd have a couple of hours of free time.

It's addressed to the previous tenant, and entirely in Spanish. Gotta figure out how to request one...I'm registered at this address, so apparently that's not good enough.

Turns out I got two of them...just found the one I can read.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I did my part!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

I did my part!

Thanks, citizen.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I voted early today. I'm in Kansas so we shall see what happens. Hope Laura Kelly can beat Kobach, Kobach is such a slimeball.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

are we losing to 4chan? we better not lose to 4chan on this.

(voting as soon as I get my effing ID from MN, and if that falls through, registering on election day like all red blooded Americans ought to be able to do)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As of Monday night at 5:30, approximately 24% of all of Leon County, Florida's eligible voters have voted (approximately 50k). We've beat daily numbers for 2014 every day, and both Sunday and Monday beat early voting numbers for 2016.

People are voting. The most important thing you can do is get everyone you know to go vote. If you're in Texas double check if you vote straight ticket that your senate vote doesn't get changed, but otherwise get out and loving vote. Drag everyone you know to the polls. Idgaf who they vote for as long as you get them there.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I voted with a absentee ballot 2 weeks ago.

Go America!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
loving Coca Cola and Pepsi are dropping a fuckload of money in WA on I-1634 to try and prevent future sugar taxes while the petroleum industry drops bank on I-1631 to try and stop the carbon tax

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

loving Coca Cola and Pepsi are dropping a fuckload of money in WA on I-1634 to try and prevent future sugar taxes while the petroleum industry drops bank on I-1631 to try and stop the carbon tax

Are you suggesting that these individuals exercising their constitutional rights is a bad thing????

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mods changed my name posted:

Are you suggesting that these individuals exercising their constitutional rights is a bad thing????

'individuals' can be sent to prison for fraud, embezzlement, and public endangerment.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

M_Gargantua posted:

'individuals' can be sent to prison for fraud, embezzlement, and public endangerment.

Let's draft them dirty dozen style. Make their executives, board members, and majority shareholders fight to the death in our three front forever war.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

buhbuhbuh that just means I'm gonna have to pay more in gas!!!!

1639(gun legislation) is likely gonna pass, but probably get swatted down in court for being unconstitutional.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Slim Pickens posted:

buhbuhbuh that just means I'm gonna have to pay more in gas!!!!

1639(gun legislation) is likely gonna pass, but probably get swatted down in court for being unconstitutional.

I love that the No on 1631 crowd is citing the numbers of a report commissioned by the petroleum industry for how much the average household's bill will increase.

By love I mean loving hate. They threw up a shitload of signs around my neighborhood and it's taken avlpt of restraint to not just destroy them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

direct action best action
:gritin:

If two years of Trump's America have taught us anything its that rules are for pussies

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Voted early.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Illinois has something like 840,000 early voters so far.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Illinois has something like 840,000 early voters so far.

I really want to think that's good for dems, but with lessons learned from the 2016 election in mind, I'm assuming it's a lot of white people scared of evil libs making war-on-<insert thing>, despite having it better than ever before.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 3, 2018

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Same boat.

I’m waiting for the it’s all the same dead person Chicago machine politics joke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I really want to think that's good for dems, but with lessons learned from the 2016 election in mind, I'm assuming it's a lot of white people scared of evil libs making war-on-<insert thing>, despite having it better than ever before.

Just went to look up my county's votes so far:

Active Registered Voters as of:10/09/18
Democrats:111,777
Republicans:58,012
Others:43,406
Total:213,195

ACTIVE REGISTERED VOTERS

TOTAL BALLOTS CAST

PERCENT TURNOUT
28.99%

There are still two days of early voting. This is huuuuuuge turnout. Numbers updated this morning.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Looking at King County, WA right now.

Active registered voters as of October 23, 2018: 1,289,482

Ballots returned (as of November 2nd): 486,957

Projected turnout is ~60%

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If I'm reading this right, Nevada has more registered voters than in 2016 (1,560,928 vs 1,464,819) but fewer of them voted early (552,865 vs 702,387). Both parties saw near-equal drops in actual voters, but the Democrats lost a small bit of ground. Percentages in 2018 are 42.12% D vs 36.89% R, 2016 was 42.49% D vs 35.63% R.

In 2016 early voting accounted for 62.41% of all votes cast. We're on pace to have voter participation in this election drop by about 1/3.

Now, as I was looking through all this, I realized that the dropoff is probably normal...2016 was a presidential election, '18 is a midterm. Of course it's going to drop off. So to compare apples to apples, here's the numbers for 2018 vs 2014:
Total Votes: TBD vs 552,369
% D: 41.42% vs 36.73%
% R: 37.89% vs 44.24%
Early Votes: 552,865 vs 266,537
% D: 42.12% vs 37.70%
% R: 36.89% vs 44.95%

Key takeaways: It's a predictable drop from 2016 numbers, but when compared to the last midterm, turnout is huge. More people voted early than voted AT ALL last time. When compared to 2016, the Democrats are down a little, but not really enough to draw any kind of conclusion. They could easily make that up. But compared to the last midterm, they're surging. That said, I'm not impressed. They need to walk away with this election to make a statement.

Improved voter turnout over 2014 is huge, and that's great. Democrats failing to surge over 2016 is unfortunate. Actually losing ground is downright disturbing.

Edit: These numbers are accurate as of about 90 minutes ago, from the Secretary of State. I don't know how complete they are, but they're probably complete or real close to it.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
The big takeaway for Nevada is there are more early votes in the 2018 midterms than there were total votes in 2014. Which, combined with data from the other states that have released it, means this may be the biggest midterm turnout in decades.

E: More than any other stat, I can’t wait to see the first time voter numbers for this election.

iKon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 3, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just went to look up my county's votes so far:

Active Registered Voters as of:10/09/18
Democrats:111,777
Republicans:58,012
Others:43,406
Total:213,195

ACTIVE REGISTERED VOTERS

TOTAL BALLOTS CAST

PERCENT TURNOUT
28.99%

There are still two days of early voting. This is huuuuuuge turnout. Numbers updated this morning.

Well, I'll be damned

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Today is going to be another 6000+ voter day. Early voting may eclipse 40% eligible voter turnout in Leon county.

Turnout is yuuuuuge. We’re up to 31.4% total just on the numbers as of 1:40 today.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
So...I'm reading up on Ohio Issue 1. I really like this, and hope it passes.

Ohio Issue 1 https://g.co/kgs/Ej9Jb1

Essentially no more drug felonies in Ohio for users.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Voted yesterday. Got there at 9a thinking no lines, no waiting. Line was out the door and my observation was that it was majority minority and mostly below 40 voters. I’ve never seen turnout this large and this diverse. Makes me happy to see people engaged enough to vote. I hope it carries through to 2020 and beyond.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
As of last Wednesday, 20 million early votes have been cast nationwide.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/31/politics/early-vote-as-of-wednesday-morning/index.html

NYT has the number at 31.5 million yesterday

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/02/us/politics/early-voting.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey it's like making it easier to vote makes more people willing and able to do so. No wonder Republicans are so opposed to it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

psydude posted:

Hey it's like making it easier to vote makes more people willing and able to do so. No wonder Republicans are so opposed to it.

They're not opposed to early voting, just so long as those people don't vote early.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/politicsreid/status/1058532803263062019?s=21

Those numbers

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When I was in the booth one of the women running the check-in desk yelled out "First time voter!" and the whole room burst into applause.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Best of luck my dudes. I can't believe how much your country has had to put up with in the last couple of years and I hope that these early turnout votes are a resounding 'no' to the slime that pretend to rule it.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I’m stuck in Asian on a business trip and the only English speaking news stations on my hotel TV are Fox and Sky News. The absolute propaganda spewing out of Fox is incredible. I’m going to bring a bottle of Baijiu back to my room on Wednesday and relax listening to the blaming and recriminations when the arse drops out of the GOP.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jaguars! posted:

Best of luck my dudes. I can't believe how much your country has had to put up with in the last couple of years and I hope that these early turnout votes are a resounding 'no' to the slime that pretend to rule it.

It looks like both sides are pretty energized. :/

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1059612327589355520

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

listen that shark was just a few bad apples

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mayoral Lives Matter

Stand up for Your Honor

Adbot