Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Poppers posted:

Two shot by a naga warrior with a +8 electric quick blade, mask of the dragon, and randart +4 slaying cloak. I don't want to play Crawl anymore.

Today, you where the NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I got a coglin to V:4 last night. The species remains really strong through mid-game, though dual short blades, which are extremely strong early, still fall off against enemies with AC. I often had to rely on sticky flame and irradiate to take out harder targets in vaults, so I’m switch to dual double swords, and I’ll have to see how that goes.

WJC is, indeed, really nice for coglins. You don’t get extra attacks to match slow movement out of the “stiff” condition, but you can use serpent’s lash to simply cancel it and move normally. With a quick blade and a rapier of speed, wall jump out of serpent’s lash feels like waterfowl dance from Elden Ring, though all the “mores” does get pretty annoying.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got my 4 rune win with Gnoll Monk of chei

The minute i got stone form with manifold assault with storm form I basically won. Nothing could survive the onslaught and anything that could own me got bypassed with slip through time.

It was so casually easy. It was unreal.

Edit tips on winning while cinder acolyte? Both for stucking with Ignis and surviving Ignis God Wrath?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 20, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Annointed posted:

Edit tips on winning while cinder acolyte? Both for stucking with Ignis and surviving Ignis God Wrath?

ignis' wrath is explicitly designed not to be a big deal. you can't have positive fire resistance and sometimes he spawns a couple of fire elementals. that's it.

sticking with ignis is eventually functionally the same as not having a god because there's no way to regain piety. you get to keep a free pip of fire res and otherwise you're on your own.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The dev team was apparently luke warm on steel elves, so they’re reflavored to “coglins”, goblins in a mechanical exoskeleton

lol

i mean i appreciate efforts to avoid a million species of Adjective Elves but still, lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Elves are cool, we need more elf varieties

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yeah, I’m not really sold on the coglin flavor, but I don’t really care about dcss flavor.

On the other hand, I finished my Coglin game with 3 runes. Unfortunately “stiff” got changed to -move, which you can’t cancel with serpent’s lash, but it didn’t really matter, since if moving wasn’t convenient, I could just stay in place and spam manifold assault. I ended the game with a spectral demon blade and a Quickblade of distortion. It was disgustingly powerful. I did the kind of damage you normally expect to see
from shapeshifting on a Chei character, but with WJC maneuvers. Coglins are definitely fun to play, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some nerfs.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Tom Coglin?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Good news I got Cinder Acolyte to Elf 3 and lived. Bad news I am now at elf 3 and this late game tech to using Malign gateway to compensate for no spellforged servitor is taking a while.

EDIT: Won with 3 runes. I lucked the gently caress out with my gear. I even ended up with hat of the bear and alchemist's hat. I was untouchable. I love Malign Gateway may that spell never be nerfed.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 21, 2024

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Three rune ascensions are not truly wins

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Nah, runes 4-27 are post game content for Crawl turbonerds. Since Crawl isn't one of the games I'm a turbonerd at (unlike eg EU4), I leave that to others.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I used to do extended on every character that felt strong going into Zot, but now I find it pretty tedious. 3 runes are perfectly fine.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hell pre dickery was a lot more enjoyable. Now with the -ac -will -scroll -potion and constant drain it's an absolute slog to go through. A constant dive dive dive in hell instead of allowing me to casually clear floors as a reward for surviving the entire game.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 21, 2024

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

SirSamVimes posted:

Three rune ascensions are not truly wins

I never feel strong enough to go into Zot without having gotten five runes - I know that at lower levels you're supposed to just get through Zot rather than fight, but a lot of my characters that get to Zot are Chei followers

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Does anyone have links to any recent, in-depth character build guides?

I think the last version of Crawl I played was like 0.20 and the last time I won was maybe 0.17. I got two 3-rune wins (which apparently are fraudulent) with gargoyle fighter and EE, both times by sticking faithfully to a guide telling me which skills to turn on until what level, to get what spell etc. without any deviation until the branches at least. I just don't seem to have any intuition for what to prioritize for what race/class and what gods to use and how to use them :shrug:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Larry Cum Free posted:

I just don't seem to have any intuition for what to prioritize for what race/class and what gods to use and how to use them :shrug:

Oh what, you just have trouble with the actually, certifiably hardest part of the game? lol what a loser.

I don’t know of any direct guides like that, the game gets much more wishy-washy as your character gets more complex & circumstantial items can make skilling very different. Also, there’s nothing wrong with a 3-rune win. You still beat the game and cleared three zot branches. There’s a much bigger gulf between zero and one rune than 3 and 15 in terms of skill, but a Win’s a Win.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, coglin chaos knights sure have an unfortunate abbreviation, huh.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Also the game gives a mass high score bonus for winning so it better to get a win than 15 runes and die

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

dolphinbomb posted:

Man, coglin chaos knights sure have an unfortunate abbreviation, huh.

They had to hide the HoMo for the CoCK to stand out

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Chakan posted:

Oh what, you just have trouble with the actually, certifiably hardest part of the game? lol what a loser.

I don’t know of any direct guides like that, the game gets much more wishy-washy as your character gets more complex & circumstantial items can make skilling very different. Also, there’s nothing wrong with a 3-rune win. You still beat the game and cleared three zot branches. There’s a much bigger gulf between zero and one rune than 3 and 15 in terms of skill, but a Win’s a Win.

Well then I look forward to getting splattered around the dungeon and then getting killed by the ghosts of my dudes who sucked!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chakan posted:

There’s a much bigger gulf between zero and one rune than 3 and 15 in terms of skill, but a Win’s a Win.

i'm not even sure that this is true. I'm pretty sure every character I've ever had that was capable of surviving zot and the orb run could have survived Hell, Abyss, Slime and Pan too.

tomb loving sucks though and is like, the only part of a 15 rune run that really seems "harder" in that it is designed in such a way as to be equally awful for about 99% of potential character builds

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Larry Cum Free posted:

I think the last version of Crawl I played was like 0.20 and the last time I won was maybe 0.17. I got two 3-rune wins (which apparently are fraudulent) with gargoyle fighter and EE, both times by sticking faithfully to a guide telling me which skills to turn on until what level, to get what spell etc. without any deviation until the branches at least. I just don't seem to have any intuition for what to prioritize for what race/class and what gods to use and how to use them :shrug:

you want to stay flexible with how you allocate skill experience based on what you pick up off the floor, but it never ever hurts to do the following:

-train up your primary weapon skill until your weapon reaches minimum attack delay (even as a caster!),

-crank your armour skill nice and high if you wear heavy armour, or dodging if you don't and you also have high dexterity,

-put at least ten levels into evocations, and possibly more in the endgame. they're all very strong but you need evocations skill levels to really put them to work.

further, depending on how you're playing, you'll also want to do this:

-train up spell school skills until your most commonly used spells will no longer explode you when you use them (spell failure chances listed in yellow or red are too dangerous to be reliable),

-get in good with your god by raising invocations skill until your invocations work reliably. certain gods also reward increasing it further to make those invocations more effective, but this depends entirely on your god. some gods don't care about invocations at all! the game will tell you this in the god info screen

it can be tricky to balance how you allocate skill experience and when. i like to train one skill at a time, usually starting with a weapon skill or a spell school, before moving to defensive skills like dodging and shields. everything past that point is informed by what i want to start using reliably asap.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Larry Cum Free posted:

Well then I look forward to getting splattered around the dungeon and then getting killed by the ghosts of my dudes who sucked!

Aren't all ghosts locked behind a gate?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

That's new. They used to just show up and wreck your poo poo.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Larry Cum Free posted:

Caster starts have also changed so that the starting book can take you through lair fairly reliably, but doesn’t have the tools to handle lair branches, so you have to adapt to what you find.

Gargoyle fighter and ee should remain very strong. Fighter you can probably play very similarly to how you did before. If you’re playing trunk, mountain dwarf fire elementalist of vehumet will be a really strong caster start. If you want something a little more complex, but very strong, Merfolk alchemist should be really fun. I’ve played a bunch of alchemists recently, so I could write up a specific guide for that when I have time if you’re interested.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Best advice I ever got that increased my win rate was to ID scrolls first, not potions. In almost any early bad situation it is better to have tele/blink ID'd and ready to go than a healing potion.

My only Cinder Acolyte win ended up with Lugonu. Every summon that Ignis sent was banished instantly and I never had to fight them.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Gargoyle fighter and ee should remain very strong. Fighter you can probably play very similarly to how you did before. If you’re playing trunk, mountain dwarf fire elementalist of vehumet will be a really strong caster start. If you want something a little more complex, but very strong, Merfolk alchemist should be really fun. I’ve played a bunch of alchemists recently, so I could write up a specific guide for that when I have time if you’re interested.

EE is nigh unkillable when you stick to walls and passwall at the earliest sign of danger

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Caster starts have also changed so that the starting book can take you through lair fairly reliably, but doesn’t have the tools to handle lair branches, so you have to adapt to what you find.

I mean I wouldn't say no but don't put yourself out on my account. Are alchemists a new thing? I swear I don't remember that class.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Larry Cum Free posted:

I mean I wouldn't say no but don't put yourself out on my account. Are alchemists a new thing? I swear I don't remember that class.

they cut transmutations because of the talisman thing and merged the few surviving spells with poison magic to form the alchemy school. alchemist is essentially just the new poison mage

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I have a 2 rune level 22 DE caster rolling that started as alchemist then I switched to Summons since I got a sweet rear end summon book early. Now I'm 21 levels in summon and have been clearing with horrible things. Really desperate for Dragons Call but I'm just not finding it. Also worshipping Vehumet which is kind of loving me for spell offerings. I guess I'll make fire storm castable? Any way to check what books I've seen in case I missed dragons call in a shop? Anywhere to go to find high level books? Can it just not spawn? Vaults is pretty tedious using horrible things

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I have a 2 rune level 22 DE caster rolling that started as alchemist then I switched to Summons since I got a sweet rear end summon book early. Now I'm 21 levels in summon and have been clearing with horrible things. Really desperate for Dragons Call but I'm just not finding it. Also worshipping Vehumet which is kind of loving me for spell offerings. I guess I'll make fire storm castable? Any way to check what books I've seen in case I missed dragons call in a shop? Anywhere to go to find high level books? Can it just not spawn? Vaults is pretty tedious using horrible things

hit ctrl-f to bring up the game's search function. type " book " into the text field and it'll bring up the name, location, and (if they're in a shop) price of every single book you've ever seen in the game, along with descriptions of their contents. you might also be able to search with " call " or something to further narrow down your search, but don't quote me on that.

have you been to the elven halls yet? you might get lucky and find what you're looking for in the end vault there. it tends to have some pretty good stuff. you might also find it in vault5, but, it sounds like you don't feel ready for that yet.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I cleared halls to the vault but didn't open the door. I just got firestorm somewhat castable clearing vaults to 4. I've probably done 3 floors of depths but left after a slog fight vs Vv. Is the elven vault easier than vault 5 or depths?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I cleared halls to the vault but didn't open the door. I just got firestorm somewhat castable clearing vaults to 4. I've probably done 3 floors of depths but left after a slog fight vs Vv. Is the elven vault easier than vault 5 or depths?

I usually do elf 3 before depths. It’s certainly easier than v:5, though it can still go south really fast if you disrespect it and don’t run at the first hint of things getting out of hand.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
The Elf 3 end vault is full of extremely dangerous enemies but you can consistently create a kill hole just outside of it with a digging wand and then take your sweet time luring out enemies in very small packs, and as Heithinn Grasida you have to respect the whole branch and play extremely carefully.

Also for the love of god do not open the doors to the Blade Hall in Elf 2, it's never worth it outside of extreme circumstances.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did they get rid of the Deep Troll Earth Elementalists in Elf3 that where there specifically to ruin murder holes?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Serephina posted:

Did they get rid of the Deep Troll Earth Elementalists in Elf3 that where there specifically to ruin murder holes?

i had to check the wiki and what do you know, it can't make the walls kill you anymore.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Apparently it's a super new change from January 2024, I haven't played in a while and never had a problem before that, with this tactic you rarely have to fight with more than 2-3 enemies and a single earth elementalist was never too much of a threat to my characters. Of course this might not apply to super glass-cannony characters :3:

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

You can definitely just control-f for dragon or call and it'll show you any books it appears in

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I didn't realize Elf had 3 levels, so I firestormed my way through Elf 3, no Dragon Call. I tried Depths 4 and some kind of birds were loving me up and survived my firestorms. I cleared Vaults 4. I guess its Vaults 5 for my third rune? I don't think I have any other options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I didn't realize Elf had 3 levels, so I firestormed my way through Elf 3, no Dragon Call. I tried Depths 4 and some kind of birds were loving me up and survived my firestorms. I cleared Vaults 4. I guess its Vaults 5 for my third rune? I don't think I have any other options

slime and abyss are very doable third runes if you're prepared, they're actually easier than vault5 by virtue of not putting you into immediate overwhelming danger the second you push >