Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Elf 3 was basically always free loot for me when I was playing, since I only played Formicid. It turns out elves aren't very dangerous 1v1 as long as you have enough MR to avoid getting abyssed by the red ones, and a zigzag killhole to prevent them ever from seeing you more than one at a time & being unable to blink away.
Hall of blades is always a massive risk that you come back to much later in a run if you're trying to find the high end rare melee weapon type you're using and haven't been lucky elsewhere, and even then a zot ready character could just die to getting swarmed by bardiche/quickblade etc animated weapons + blademasters. Similarly using teleport on elf 2 is a horrible idea.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Does Slime always spawn?

I have a rN+++ robe so I poked my head into Crypt but Mennas is at the stairs

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Slime should always be there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hitting Ctrl+O to get the dungeon overview should tell you where Slime could spawn in your game.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Does Slime always spawn?

I have a rN+++ robe so I poked my head into Crypt but Mennas is at the stairs

The entrance to slime is near or at the bottom of lair. It might be hidden behind something that automatically excluded from auto-explore, like oklob plants.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I remember the Oklob now!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Elf is free loot if you have LRD castable. Almost everyone in there is wearing robes. It is also common to find crystal glass walls in the Elf:3 vault, not to mention the rest of the branch.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Shatter, Firestorm etc. are no longer instant penance for Jiyva!

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/8cd13bf0974fba50d3b0a753d3e4b52c32d8cfe3

quote:

Make Jiyva protect jellies from harm
Jiyva's mpregen and mp/wild magic/int mutations support casters well,
but the random jelly spawns are especially annoying for casters. You
can't firestorm when a jelly decides to hug your target. You can't
shatter if there are jellies on the floor because there's a chance you
damage a jelly behind a rock wall and incur penance. You can't even
immolate at any time because a jelly could spawn and throw itself into
the flames. This is no fun and I'm changing that.

Jiyva now protects slimes from harm similarly to Fedhas with the
difference that you can't fire through slimes and they'll absorb
projectiles if you try to do so.

Jiyva also prevents immolation scrolls from affecting jellies because
using jellies as bombs is not cool (at least from Jiyva's
perspective).

Additionally, all god protection will protect from torment. Previously
this wouldn't have had an effect because plants and ancestors already
resist torment.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

Shatter, Firestorm etc. are no longer instant penance for Jiyva!

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/8cd13bf0974fba50d3b0a753d3e4b52c32d8cfe3

A straight up good change with no downsides that I can see.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

teehee. jivya's mpreg

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

teehee. jivya's mpreg

I was trying to avoid mentioning that unfortunate contraction.

... ugh, contractions!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I won today :cabot:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Congratulations on getting the win! Wanna elaborate with your tale of success?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

This is a long shot but does anybody have experience with a voice controlled setup for DCSS? My hands and shoulders are in too bad of a way to play with a keyboard, but I do have voice attack and an urge to get back into this game after watching my friend stream it a couple of times. I have some basic ideas of how it will work,I'm sure I'll be saying tab and explore/o a lot, and I'm also thinking of getting 8° of movement by having North, Northwest, Northeast etc style commands.

Anyway if anyone has suggestions for keyboard macros or smart ways to set this up, I would appreciate it

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

you just need two foot pedals: one for o and one for tab

seriously though, windows has built-in voice recognition that can recognize spoken keyboard inputs, right? or is that not working out for you?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Personally I find the windows voice recognition terriblly unresponsive and much more prone to confusion. Voice attack allows me to program what the commands are specifically and Is a lot smarter and responsive about what words are being spoken. It is more leg work which is unfortunate but it's better than wanting to tear my hair out using Windows speech commands

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

After some finagling I have it up and running, and it works nicely! I have a round 100 commands / macros, and it's a little slower because I have to use directional inputs through menus instead of just pressing a descript letter, but it feels pretty slick and intuitive to just say The actions out loud.

The one thing I haven't figured out is how to make the look command work, so that I can select an enemy and look at its stats. For some reason nothing happens when the ; key is pressed

Also shout out to the level map which I didn't even know existed when I played this like 10 years ago. I just did everything through the minimap on the side

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yet another victory on my end. Oh thank gently caress for Minotaur Berserkers. A comfort pick to rage through bullshit of the early game.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I don't know if Uskayaw is considered a good God on a macro meta level, but I do love bringing the rhythm to the dungeon and mind-melding a pack of yaks so that they all die at once from the cut of my freezing plus seven falchion

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I can't get over how there isn't ammo anymore in this game. I'm not complaining it's just strange to me after so many years of playing deep dwarf Hunter and praying to The gods for bolts. It's rule of cool and I'm here for it

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like no longer using ammo. I don't like being forced to use light armor to use ranged weapons like bows and slings and crossbows. It's like playing mage but I cast bullet.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I would defend casting bullet if my hunter didn't pivot into full melee combat because I found sick armor and a tower shield

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I would defend casting bullet if my hunter didn't pivot into full melee combat because I found sick armor and a tower shield

Jesus mate where are any of your resistance to fire and ice? Where the Will++++?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

I don't know if Uskayaw is considered a good God on a macro meta level, but I do love bringing the rhythm to the dungeon and mind-melding a pack of yaks so that they all die at once from the cut of my freezing plus seven falchion

Ive had fun and success using Uskayaw. Stabbing is a pretty obvious route with Usk since you can get confuse or paralyze stabs, and Pain Bond lets you stab everybody. Gotta be able to get the piety going in the first place though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

“Mewew” is what my cat says when she wants my attention.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Half of Dracula posted:

Ive had fun and success using Uskayaw. Stabbing is a pretty obvious route with Usk since you can get confuse or paralyze stabs, and Pain Bond lets you stab everybody. Gotta be able to get the piety going in the first place though

I found Uskayaw super strong on a stabber. Like, you can stab everything. Somehow I missed that you could line dance a single target until I was already in Zot, which would have made a powerful god feel even stronger, but I stabbed every Pan Lord in extended once I figured that out. I found having some magic was nice for piety on a stabber. If the quickblade was going to be too slow against high AC, I cast a couple irradiates and that was enough to get the stabbing started.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

“Mewew” is what my cat says when she wants my attention.

same except "corrode self". disturbing animal

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Annointed posted:

Jesus mate where are any of your resistance to fire and ice? Where the Will++++?

Listen I haven't played this game in years and even back then I wasn't good at it lol. Good to know those are important though

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
You're only XL 11 in that screenshot, so it's not strictly necessary but it does do a lot to get rF+ and rC+. If you completed the game running that setup, drat. You also have a ring of rPois and your shield gives rPois, so that's a free ring slot that can go to resist fire. I might also swap out the see invis ring until dealing with an invisible enemy, but that's your choice.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Listen I haven't played this game in years and even back then I wasn't good at it lol. Good to know those are important though

Those are not priorities at xl 11.

Will is a big deal later, when enemies with banish/paralyze/etc. become fairly common. The game is playable without, but it’s terrifying when any vampire knight can paralyze you next to something incredibly dangerous.

rF/rC are important in certain situations, but no required area makes them feel mandatory until Zot, for which you want as much fire resistance as you can get (rF+ is dicey unless you’re really strong, rF+++ isn’t worth sacrificing a different important resist for). By the time you reach depths, you can take big spikes of damage without resistances, but you can play around that as long as you’re careful.

rPois is really, really useful for the relevant lair branches. You can do them without, but it sucks a a lot and you’ll probably die.

rN is only really important for Crypt, and you can get by without even there (it sucks though).

rElec and rCorr are nice to have, but never necessary except against certain uniques or rare enemies (quaff resistance if you get jumped by Nikola and have no rElec).

There are always some situations you’ll have to bail on if you don’t have the right resistance.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Annointed posted:

Congratulations on getting the win! Wanna elaborate with your tale of success?

Here's the boy what done it:

Basically relied on the same formula from 10 versions ago - GrEE, Vehumet, start Earth and Conjuration heavy, switch Conjuration to Fire around Lair, wait for the good spells to make themselves known. I pretty much cruised through everything I did. Took down the Crypt for the first time but didn't go for anything above a 3rd rune. I probably could have had I switched to TSO before Crypt, I think I'll try that next run.

One big difference I've noticed from older versions is that Amnesia scrolls are wayyyyy less common. I used to just learn every remotely useful spell I could fit in through the early/mid game, but this time I had to do 25 levels of a Ziggurat before I found enough to free up the spell slots to learn Fire Storm. Acquirement scrolls also seem t be way more common and they mostly suck. Also maybe Earth Magic got a bit of a nerf? Bongman's Vile Clutch is a single target instead of a 3x3 square now, Shatter didn't seem nearly as good as Fire Storm or even Ignition. The Barreling Boulder 4th level spell in the default book is pretty fun though and makes for some interesting crowd control tactics early on. Not getting LRD by default makes this build a bit of a crapshoot if you don't find it before the branches.

Larry Cum Free fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 18, 2024

Mousus
Apr 9, 2009
BVC isn't as nerfed as you think it is, it's still beam targeted so you can get multiple enemies in it if you get them in a corridor. It also still fires through allies.

Definitely my default with vehumet blaster casters is making a judgement at the end of getting my first level 9 spell reliable as to whether a death talisman has actually spawned and if I'm aiming to do extended just hard train for it. I guess gargoyles with the innate statue form have a bit more freedom with that but I haven't played one of them in a while. From the last few times I did use TSO he's definitely a lot less mana refund than Vehumet even when you're only killing evil things.

Definitely feels like I'm short of amnesia scrolls before extended these days so it's very much a careful choice off which of the gift spells to actually memorise.

With Vehumet it definitely feels like firestorm is the best level 9 spell by a decent gap. Shatter definitely suffers from pretty much everything but tomb resisting it by the time you actually can get it online.

None of the starting books actually have a carry spell in them now so earth isn't left out in not having a good spell by lair branches if you haven't found something else to learn by then. The new Ice/Earth level 6 spell felt like a lot of fun but definitely suffers from being a spell school pairing that there is absolutely no synergy in training.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Mousus posted:

None of the starting books actually have a carry spell in them now so earth isn't left out in not having a good spell by lair branches if you haven't found something else to learn by then. The new Ice/Earth level 6 spell felt like a lot of fun but definitely suffers from being a spell school pairing that there is absolutely no synergy in training.

Good to know about the starting books. That spell did look cool but I had already found some fire spells and it seemed like throwing ice into the mix would be spreading myself too thin training wise.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

After some finagling I have it up and running, and it works nicely! I have a round 100 commands / macros, and it's a little slower because I have to use directional inputs through menus instead of just pressing a descript letter, but it feels pretty slick and intuitive to just say The actions out loud.

The one thing I haven't figured out is how to make the look command work, so that I can select an enemy and look at its stats. For some reason nothing happens when the ; key is pressed

Also shout out to the level map which I didn't even know existed when I played this like 10 years ago. I just did everything through the minimap on the side

\{24}! is my look macro. You can remove the ! if you want, that just automatically makes the next keypress select from the 'inspect' option. I bind this key to C, so if I press Ca it would inspect the first enemy. You could macro \{24}!a, \{24}!b, etc to different voice commands to instantly inspect like the most dangerous target. If I remember correctly the list is organized by monster danger. One of my most helpful macros.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 19, 2024

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Oh thank God that's a huge help, I was getting sick of doing like four voice commands just to inspect a monster

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My other two must-have macros: G> just goes down the nearest staircase G\{13} If your travel to a specific spot is ever interrupted, this commands your character to move again to that specific spot

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

That's another good one, thank you.

Also my merman summoner just got mutated to have subdued magic which kind of seems like it sucks, is there a way to fix it or do I just have to ride it out

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I believe the only ways to deal with mutations in mainline crawl are Mutation potions, which randomly remove & add muts, or worshipping Zin which lets you turn them into a version that only removes mutations. Also jivya I guess but that's not a very reasonable solution generally.
For the most part it was just letting minor bad mutations pile up until you have an excess of mutation potions or getting really bad ones like the ones that berserk you randomly or prevent you from reading scrolls/drinking potions in combat or w/e.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

That's another good one, thank you.

Also my merman summoner just got mutated to have subdued magic which kind of seems like it sucks, is there a way to fix it or do I just have to ride it out
Once you’re mutated, the only way to not be mutated at all is to convert to Zin. However, mutation potions have a high chance to clear your current mutations and skew towards providing beneficial ones, so if you have a stack of 3 or more, you can almost certainly get rid of subdued magic and end up with a set of acceptable mutations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

One major issue with DCSS is that mutation potions can get frustratingly rare to the point where one might even have to dive into Ziggurat for the last few potions needed to remove a critically bad mutation. The upside of this scarcity is mainly just being told "you shouldn't try extended you don't have enough resources" and go ascend.