Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zushio
May 8, 2008

What the heck is this?
This "classic" of the early 3D action genre takes inspiration from the then successful Tomb Raider games and a slew of classic point and click adventure titles. Developed in house at Lucas Arts and released November 1999, they used a heavily modified version of the Sith Engine (Jedi Knight) to create an adventure game. There was also an N64 version and a Gameboy Color version. We are obviously playing the PC version, now available on GoG.

That Didn't Help Much, What's The Game About?
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine picks up with Indy in 1947. The war has come to a close and work is back to normal for the wayward archeologist. Soon though he's embroiled in a plot between East and West in a race to recover the parts of the Infernal Machine and unlock a power the could turn the tide of the Cold War.

Sounds Fun, What's The Catch?
This game has it's issues. Where Jedi Knight was fast and fluid, Infernal Machine is stodgy and clumsy. It's nit-picky about picking up objects and using ladders. You'll throw yourself off a cliff more than a few times. You have no control of the camera, and it does not always play nice. This game has a cheat that gets you unstuck from walls, which I've had to use several times.

So Why Are You Playng This Nightmare Of Late 90s 3D Design?
Well, what you get, once you figure out what you're doing, is a master craft of level design. Tomb Raider ain't got nothing on some of these levels, nothing in the modern age comes close. The whole level is the puzzle, as opposed to just being a tiny bit of a level. Once you figure out some controls that work for you and the rhythm of the game something about it just clicks. I played through it over the course of a few weeks and quickly fell in love.

Wait, Who The Hell Are You?
My name is Zushio. I play games from across the ages. I'm a longtime watcher first time poster. I plan on having these videos out as fast as I can make them for now, but that may slow down as work picks up.

Videos

Bonus Video 1 - N64 Version

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Click here to download my PS4 controller bindings.

Characters

Bosses

Weapons

Infernal Machine Parts

Healing Items

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 19, 2018

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

From what I remember getting this game to run is a challenge in and of itself.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

From what I remember getting this game to run is a challenge in and of itself.

That used to be true. When I played the first time I was using the original CD release and it would not even install on Windows 10. Eventually I tracked down an installer to make it work on a German website. Worked fine except for the fact that you couldn't load your game from the main menu and the map didn't work. The new GoG version, which I'm playing on now, has no issues installing and none of the aforementioned glitches.

Getting it to stream and record was another story however. OBS doesn't like it very much since it's so old (Direct X 6), but if I could somehow get it in to a window it would have no trouble picking it up. So I ended up using a program called DxWnd to force it in to a window. Worked great except now whenever I loaded a game after I died it would freeze. Luckily, once OBS had targeted the window and started recording I could load up without DxWnd and still capture it. This doesn't seem to work with the GoG install. I had to go reinstall my CD version again to create the hook for OBS with DxWnd. After that was set I uninstalled the CD version and the OBS would still pick up the GoG version. Which brings us to here.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Man, this game makes Indy out to be an even worse archaeologist than the movies do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Man, this game makes Indy out to be an even worse archaeologist than the movies do.
You have no idea. That being said, I'm really glad to see this done; I share the opinion that the level design is great (couple exceptions aside) and the game is a lot of fun once the stupid controls click.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 11, 2018

Zushio
May 8, 2008
We rejoin Indy on a trip to Babylon for the first serious level of the game and get some insight into the plot.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So the spiders in this game; they are dicks. Poison aside, the game loves to stick them everywhere and they tend to wait until you're right under them; since the game works on autoaim, you can't get rid of them beforehand. So there's no way to get through without actually springing the ambush.

The only way little arachnophobic me was able to go through the game back in the day was cheating myself an explosive weapon and spamming it everywhere in hopes of catching a spider. Except. I don't know if it was a quirk of my PC, but the cheats also made spiders respawn. Infinitely.
Yyeah.

e: I remember liking the Shambhala level. Preparing to get my childhood memories shattered, I guess.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 11, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The jeep was only a little more than 4 feet high with the top down, and yet it looks a bit taller than both men at the end of the Babylon segment (Indy's hat just tops it). Turner in particular looks like a squat child. I guess people really were a lot shorter back then.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Man, I loved this loving game when I was a stupid kid.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I could never get this game to work on my computer, which was too bad since I really liked Sophia Hapgood in "Fate of Atlantis" and wanted to see what they did next with her.

I played a fair amount of "Emperor's Tomb" and finished "Staff of Kings" but didn't think it was all that great.

Do you think we'll ever see another Indiana Jones game?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Lego Indiana Jones was fun... for me, anyway. But, nah, these days Lara Croft and Nathan Drake have cornered the market on the character archetype. Oh well.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Lego Indiana Jones was fun... for me, anyway. But, nah, these days Lara Croft and Nathan Drake have cornered the market on the character archetype. Oh well.

I thought Drake retired after Uncharted 4. Lara did have a recent release, though.

Lego Indy was fun for me, too. I'll have to play it with my nephew sometime; he's finished Lego Jurassic World and wants to play more Lego stuff.

I guess once they reboot Indy we'll get a few iOS games. :(

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Quiet Python posted:

I thought Drake retired after Uncharted 4. Lara did have a recent release, though.

Lego Indy was fun for me, too. I'll have to play it with my nephew sometime; he's finished Lego Jurassic World and wants to play more Lego stuff.

I guess once they reboot Indy we'll get a few iOS games. :(

Which one? There're two Lego Indy games, and they've got some significant differences.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

e: I remember liking the Shambhala level. Preparing to get my childhood memories shattered, I guess

Don't worry. Your childhood memories are in fact insulating you. You've forgotten an entire level.

Kangra posted:

The jeep was only a little more than 4 feet high with the top down, and yet it looks a bit taller than both men at the end of the Babylon segment (Indy's hat just tops it). Turner in particular looks like a squat child. I guess people really were a lot shorter back then.

I figure that the developers saw a picture of the jeep but never with people in it. So they just kinda guessed at proportions. We'll get a better look at the jeep in a later video.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

whitehelm posted:

Which one? There're two Lego Indy games, and they've got some significant differences.

The Original Adventures, I guess? Wasn't a huge fan of Crystal Skull and don't really feel the need to relive it in Lego form.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Same here on LEGO Indy. The only thing I liked about Crystal Skull was the return of Karen Allen.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 13, 2018

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Honestly, this is the worst level in the game and on reflection it's really not that bad. (I'll keep telling myself this).

Click here to download my PS4 controller bindings.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 13, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Did they license the TR engine, or make a copy of it?

:stare:

They imported Lara's moveset into the Sith engine.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Hey Zushio, just as a heads-up, your link in the new LP thread has an extra h in the "https" part. Also, super stoked to see someone play the Infernal Machine!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Man, I remember having huge issues getting into the right path on the second branch as a kid. Took forever to finish this level. There are some really cool looking set pieces in there though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oooh, this thing. You're right, I completely forgot this level existed.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Quiet Python posted:

The Original Adventures, I guess? Wasn't a huge fan of Crystal Skull and don't really feel the need to relive it in Lego form.

achtungnight posted:

Same here on LEGO Indy. The only thing I liked about Crystal Skull was the return of Karen Allen.

I hate Crystal Skull as much as the next person, but the second Lego Indy game is a lot more fun than the semi-serious romp that is the first one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh man, between the voice acting and Sophia showing up this is giving me so many fond flashbacks to Fate of Atlantis. I remember seeing this one in stores as a kid, but never playing it.

I hope Indy gets to make fun of Sophia for falling in holes, I liked the touch of keeping her subtitles in purple.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do remember buying this game around the time it came out and playing it alright, but I think eventually I moved on to other games after being too frustrated with the controls.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

inscrutable horse posted:

Hey Zushio, just as a heads-up, your link in the new LP thread has an extra h in the "https" part. Also, super stoked to see someone play the Infernal Machine!

Thanks, fixed that.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I hate Crystal Skull as much as the next person, but the second Lego Indy game is a lot more fun than the semi-serious romp that is the first one.

Hot take, I didn't mind Crystal Skull. I mean it's not my favorite Indy movie by any means, but I still enjoyed it. Even Shia LeBeouf didn't bother me much, except for the monkey chase scene.

FoolyCharged posted:

Oh man, between the voice acting and Sophia showing up this is giving me so many fond flashbacks to Fate of Atlantis. I remember seeing this one in stores as a kid, but never playing it.

I only played Fate of Atlantis circa 2003 or so, long after I had played this and forgotten about her appearance here. It was somewhat of a surprise for me too when I started playing again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do remember buying this game around the time it came out and playing it alright, but I think eventually I moved on to other games after being too frustrated with the controls.

I do not blame you, they really are terrible.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 15, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zushio posted:

Hot take, I didn't mind Crystal Skull. I mean it's not my favorite Indy movie by any means, but I still enjoyed it. Even Shia LeBeouf didn't bother me much, except for the monkey chase scene.

Is it sad that that's the only scene I can remember?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a shame you use that set of gears so early, I was hoping you'd collect the pieces across the game then assemble them into some elaborate device at the end. I always find that sort of thing satisfying.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This was the first game I 100%ed.

Not only didn't it acknowledge it, it didn't even show me the 1000/1000 points, ever.

This was the last game I 100%ed.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
And we're back for one of my favorite levels. I had a lot of fun playing this one. We're pretty much done with bad levels a this point, just one more coming up I'm not a huge fan of.

I've also decided to include screencaps of our Score and the Store for each level, just to give people an idea of how we're doing. The indicated game time is completely wrong, it was right for the first level or two but after that I'm apparently on some kind of world record speedrun according to the game. I think it has to do with using quicksave, but it could also be due to the games timer being tied to the clockspeed of the processor. Also if you were wondering why the menus in the videos were all invisible here is why. Every single menu in the game just uses the default Windows interface, there are absolutely no custom menus at all.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
1 more level and we can find out what the "secret map" is. That being said, if it's in a store, it's not very secret.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
So what happens to the wolves if you keep the camera on them so they can't run offscreen?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Can't Indy just shoot the bell?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

So what happens to the wolves if you keep the camera on them so they can't run offscreen?

Pretty sure the wolves don't despawn offscreen, they just run away from you and start wandering around again.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Rectus posted:

Pretty sure the wolves don't despawn offscreen, they just run away from you and start wandering around again.

Exactly. Somewhere in episode 3 I chased one off only for it to just turn around and aggro again a few seconds later.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

By this point, Indy is so jaded that an old woman spontaneously materializing under a bell in a long-abandoned mountain monastery doesn't even get a reaction out of him.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Carpator Diei posted:

By this point, Indy is so jaded that an old woman spontaneously materializing under a bell in a long-abandoned mountain monastery doesn't even get a reaction out of him.
Medicinal herbs.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I had a russian bootleg version of this as a kid - the subtitles were in english, but the atmosphere was a bit weird with Indy spouting russian. Blyat!

Looking forward to seeing the later levels I never got to!

Also, in case someone else gets the Indy itch - Indy & the Emperor's Tomb is on sale for 2 bucks at GOG now. I never tried that before; seems pretty fun so far, though quite a bit simplified from Infernal Machine. Needs some fiddling around to get higher resolutions, >30fps & controller support working properly too.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 17, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, Emperor's Tomb plays a lot smoother but the level design is nowhere near as good as this one; a lot of the sense of exploration and finding secrets is lost. Still worth it at that price, IMO.

e: For what it's worth, I don't mind the backtracking - it does give the level a lot more cohesion, makes it feel like a place as opposed to a movie you watch.

e: Hell, I forgot about the book. Here's the thing - you really don't see that on every shelf; that book has been lost. It's the biggest treasure of the level and Indy just... leaves it there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Let's just have a quick look at the N64 version, shall we?

• Locked thread