Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Come on now, can we not rehash the DBD stuff in another thread?

In other news, I used to really like playing the Survival Versus mode of Left 4 dead 2, but man, a lot of times, that game was just a downward spiral because once people saw that they were losing, it was just a neverending stream of people entering and quitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blackguy32 posted:

Come on now, can we not rehash the DBD stuff in another thread?

We can as long as we all agree that DbD is a poo poo game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

You will get no argument from me there.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:thumbsup:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Stanley Pain posted:

sure, as long as we can all agree F13 was worse in all ways except making the killer feel more dangerous and a higher player count

fe: per match, game dead lol

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coolness Averted posted:

sure, as long as we can all agree F13 was worse in all ways except making the killer feel more dangerous and a higher player count

I don't think Tinfoil would even agree to that and he's the one championing DbD right now. Relatively anyways.

DbD is fine. It's fun in its own way, though I prefer the nonsense that Friday did and tried to do.

Friday the 13th was the far more ambitious of the two games.

I will say, Michael Myers works pretty well perfectly in DbD for his character. That's one thing that they nailed, if not intentionally.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Burkion posted:

I don't think Tinfoil would even agree to that and he's the one championing DbD right now. Relatively anyways.

DbD is fine. It's fun in its own way, though I prefer the nonsense that Friday did and tried to do.

Friday the 13th was the far more ambitious of the two games.

I will say, Michael Myers works pretty well perfectly in DbD for his character. That's one thing that they nailed, if not intentionally.

I think both are fun games (especially if you get a full group going and you're all in voice chat laughing at player and game gently caress ups.) They're both also obviously very flawed though mostly in different ways. F13 was definitely more ambitious, but that just makes it more apparent to me that the devs didn't quite achieve those ambitions and it's a shame they didn't get another year or two to make tweaks and flesh stuff out -Or add Crispin Glover, even if they did sorta kinda add his dance.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolness Averted posted:

F13 is/was more fun though, thereby making it the better game.

Burkion posted:

By far my favourite killer.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolness Averted posted:

I think both are fun games (especially if you get a full group going and you're all in voice chat laughing at player and game gently caress ups.) They're both also obviously very flawed though mostly in different ways. F13 was definitely more ambitious, but that just makes it more apparent to me that the devs didn't quite achieve those ambitions and it's a shame they didn't get another year or two to make tweaks and flesh stuff out -Or add Crispin Glover, even if they did sorta kinda add his dance.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

i always find it hilarious when someone brings up stuff like this up like it says anything about the game's quality. candy crush is more 'healthy' than the other two combined, it doesn't make the game good or well designed, it just makes it accessible.

also, i played DbD for something like 80 hours and was routinely in 5 or less ranking on both killer and survivor. i know how the game works, unless we want to assert you have to play it for 100+ to truly grok the game (which is a pretty big indictment of it all on its own). it works like poo poo.

370ish on DbD and 580ish on Friday the 13th. I'm qualified to lodge an opinion on both.

Plus, haven't you seen Shallow Hal?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I miss the Zombie master mod for Half Life 2. The actual zombies weren't that impressive to write home about, but some of the maps had some hilarious traps that you could activate to kill the survivors.

Sure the Zombie Master usually "won". But I never really saw it as a competitive experience.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Whatever happened to Evolve? I was excited pre-release then it snuck out to lukewarm reviews - then promptly floundered and died.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Whatever happened to Evolve? I was excited pre-release then it snuck out to lukewarm reviews - then promptly floundered and died.

supposedly the publisher sucked the marrow from it/forced the devs into breaking everything into paid DLC and a slow trickle out of (paid) content and pretty much openly announced from day 1 it'd be a "pay 60 bucks, and then pay another 60-90 to actually play all the monsters/heroes" it kinda came around to be better right before it went f2p and also right after it, but turtle rock got fired with that last patch that launched f2p so it was pretty clear the game was dead. This was also before season passes were as much the norm, but even now I think people would balk at how little content was part of the base, and hell I think the game even HAD season passes with a ton of junk not actually included in them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think for a lot of people, it took a lot of effort to be a good hunter team. If one part of your team was weak at all, you really hurt the rest of the team. This led to a lot of trappers not really knowing how to track the monster without Daisy or people messing up domes and overall just being frustrating to play against a decent monster player.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Coolness Averted posted:

supposedly the publisher sucked the marrow from it/forced the devs into breaking everything into paid DLC and a slow trickle out of (paid) content and pretty much openly announced from day 1 it'd be a "pay 60 bucks, and then pay another 60-90 to actually play all the monsters/heroes" it kinda came around to be better right before it went f2p and also right after it, but turtle rock got fired with that last patch that launched f2p so it was pretty clear the game was dead. This was also before season passes were as much the norm, but even now I think people would balk at how little content was part of the base, and hell I think the game even HAD season passes with a ton of junk not actually included in them.

The rumour is that they intended it to be either a budget-priced game or a F2P game from the start but 2K wanted it to be a full-price heavy hitter for that year's Q1. And everyone knows triple-A full price games need a season pass! :eng101:

What gets me the most is how the hell did 2K thing it'd make any sense after the massive outlash against the initial amount of season pass/cosmetic DLC at launch... to then add ANOTHER season pass six months down the line with another four hunters added?

Turtle Rock was robbed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

blackguy32 posted:

I think for a lot of people, it took a lot of effort to be a good hunter team. If one part of your team was weak at all, you really hurt the rest of the team. This led to a lot of trappers not really knowing how to track the monster without Daisy or people messing up domes and overall just being frustrating to play against a decent monster player.

Yeah and much like dbd really suffered if the two teams weren't evenly matched in skill level. Probably even more so since like you said each player filled a key role. The f2p patch standardized the characters in the same class a bit more so you wouldn't be quite as punished by say a medic going for Lazarus but not knowing his quirks/having synergy with other players.

Like some games were really fun, but you'd also just have some spirals where the monster would barely make it to stage 2, or your trapper or medic got eaten way too early.
I also remember some wonkiness in the comeback mechanic for the campaign mode things seemed primarily balanced against where you could win every round except the last due to how heavily stacked the other side's bonus got but they'd be considered the winner. Which also lead to some weird gaming the system plays where you'd intentionally throw a round or two to break that. Or from thw otherside sometimes it'd feel really hollow if you got your asskicked until the game finally gave you enough cheats.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

McSpanky posted:

When tech advances to the point that dynamically generated maps are reliably as good to play on as pre-designed ones, combined with having players only use in-game communication (this will probably never be enforceable outside of competitive/LAN environments but it'd be nice if people did it more just to get in the mood)... maybe. The enhanced interactivity and immersion of VR could come into play here as well.

You could have your game force control of all audio input so that anything running through the mixer also hits the game, but that risks angering loads of people and you can't do anything about the people who use their PC for gaming and have a Tablet for Discord/whatever chat service they use.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i honestly don't think the out of band communication issue is one worth sweating really - even when voice setups are made available that are really easy to use and work great like in F13, a strict minority of players use it. it's frustrating to run into a premade that is yelling at each other on Discord or something but i feel like i'd need some numbers to show that they're prevalent enough to be more than an occasional problem.

blackguy32 posted:

I miss the Zombie master mod for Half Life 2. The actual zombies weren't that impressive to write home about, but some of the maps had some hilarious traps that you could activate to kill the survivors.

Sure the Zombie Master usually "won". But I never really saw it as a competitive experience.
the horror thread pointed out that apparently there's a zombie master remake that's a thing?? i haven't seen anything about it at all but apparently it is cool and good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

When tech advances to the point that dynamically generated maps are reliably as good to play on as pre-designed ones, combined with having players only use in-game communication (this will probably never be enforceable outside of competitive/LAN environments but it'd be nice if people did it more just to get in the mood)... maybe. The enhanced interactivity and immersion of VR could come into play here as well.

Voice comms are the thing that really ruin asymmetrical horror games for me. Games like Friday 13th and Left 4 Dead (I've not played DbD) go all out for immersion and atmosphere, but as soon as you've got anyone goofing around on chat or even just making smalltalk (whether friends, goons or random pubbies) then the horror atmosphere is gone and at very best you feel like you're watching a b-movie with drunk mates.

It's awkward because the gameplay seem to be built around having a team that communicate, but as soon as they do then it kills the horror atmosphere for me and becomes pretty indistinguishable to Payday or any team game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DbD has zero voice comm support anywhere in game so it would not suffer from the problem you’re talking about, but I pretty strongly disagree with the point. One of the ways F13 was more horror to me than even something like Amnesia was when people not taking the situation seriously would come up. They’re exactly the ones who will get killed first like every slasher movie ever made to prove that the killer is real, strong, and not your friend. When a game tries to do that with an NPC in a cutscene it feels forced, when it happens organically because some dudebro can’t shut up it’s a whole different thing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Voice comms are the thing that really ruin asymmetrical horror games for me. Games like Friday 13th and Left 4 Dead (I've not played DbD) go all out for immersion and atmosphere, but as soon as you've got anyone goofing around on chat or even just making smalltalk (whether friends, goons or random pubbies) then the horror atmosphere is gone and at very best you feel like you're watching a b-movie with drunk mates.

It's awkward because the gameplay seem to be built around having a team that communicate, but as soon as they do then it kills the horror atmosphere for me and becomes pretty indistinguishable to Payday or any team game.

dbd tried to get around that by specifically not having in game chat, and even sort of balanced the game around perks, items, and abilities that let people see or blocked vision of locations of teammates and objectives. This leaves the game breaking in other ways, like a team of survivors on voice com now being able to easily call out killer locations and traps or what they're doing rather than having to waste talent slots or time to avoid ambushes. Dbd's characters also don't have the sort of automated callouts l4d (or f13 to a lesser extent) had, just groans of pain and screams, so they lose a bit of the spark characters had in those other games.

I also think dbd's current halloween event adds some interesting new gimmicks. By default there's 2 extra interactable items for survivors and 2 special hooks for the killers. The survivors are awarded bonus bloodpoints for wasting time interacting with these objects, which also provides a new place besides generators and chests for them to get ambushed. The killer meanwhile gets more bloodpoints for using the special hooks and both can earn currency for seasonal cosmetics by doing this. There's also a seasonal consumable that adds both more special hooks and more of those interactable nodes. That sort of extra gamble for playing the game less efficiently would probably help the vanilla game a bit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolness Averted posted:

which was so frustrating because it was the most fair assymetrical game of them all, and was extremely fun when you had everything.

im biased, i owned everything :'(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just hope whatever come out next actually works out how to make both sides fun.

Although the losing side is always gonna be sore losers about it. Nature of competition.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
*pours one out for Evolve*

If it had launched as a F2P, or heck even a $40 game things would have probably gone better. I remember the backlash from the Day 0 DLC was quite heavy and then lost like 50% of it's player base month over month.

I wish they'd ditch perks altogether in DbD, or have a perkless game mode.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Coolguye posted:

DbD has zero voice comm support anywhere in game so it would not suffer from the problem you’re talking about, but I pretty strongly disagree with the point. One of the ways F13 was more horror to me than even something like Amnesia was when people not taking the situation seriously would come up. They’re exactly the ones who will get killed first like every slasher movie ever made to prove that the killer is real, strong, and not your friend. When a game tries to do that with an NPC in a cutscene it feels forced, when it happens organically because some dudebro can’t shut up it’s a whole different thing.

I'll repost one of my favorite F13 moments here. I was playing Jason, and poorly at that, and the counselors decided they were gonna try to kill me. Except they were announcing loudly everything they were planning to do and I was on their rear end the whole time. Tommy tried to sneak up on me from a path in the woods behind me as I was going after his friends. He gave himself away by talking over the walkie-talkie, and I used the directional audio to pinpoint where he was and shift grab him.

In-game voice makes F13 so much better. The thing I don't like is counselor teams using Discord to get around the in-game voice limitation and dunk on a Jason, especially if that Jason is me.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I really enjoy when Jason has his mic on, goes stealth but his on screen mic display randomly goes off even though he’s not talking and betrays him.

Happens all the drat time. Turn your mic off, Jasons.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheBizzness posted:

I really enjoy when Jason has his mic on, goes stealth but his on screen mic display randomly goes off even though he’s not talking and betrays him.

Happens all the drat time. Turn your mic off, Jasons.

Or

Just engage with your audience

Be a playful happy go lucky Jason

My time as Jason was always weird. Never mind the fact that I started out exclusively playing with the best players in the game as we all learned it together- either I could focus really hard and do a pretty decent to good job, or I could gently caress around and just have fun.

I'm not a terrible Jason I guess, you'd have to ask the others. But how well I do depended entirely on how much I wanted to try.

One thing I have noticed with DBD- you have to always try. If you gently caress around you're going to screw up and get killed real quick and hurt everyone in the process. Especially with some of the nastier powers related to killing people

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Burk was always a paradox. He was simultaneously the most and least dangerous counselor. If you let him live, he may continue so much of his antics that it actually helps Jason. He may also become a superhero and manage to tank every trap for fun and fix the phone. Conversely, if you chose to chase him he could die instantly or run you around for 5 minutes. Also he had the special power to summon new and unexpected bugs such as the car being destroyed in the middle of the road for no reason, or possession of a counselor by another dead counselor.

~~~~~

In DbD there are certain mechanics which Burk plays right into the killer's hands.

Burk: GUYS the killer is on me.

Tinfoil: Who is it, Burk? Also, you are the obsession for a reason which has nothing to do with YOUR perks.

Burk: It's Myers - he's just staring at me.

Tinfoil: NO BURK! Break line of sight! Don't let him stare at you

Burk: I KNOW! I'm TRYING

*Halloween theme jingle*

Tinfoil: Burk, are you dying light?

Burk I don't think so

*Halloween theme jingle*

*Burk dies*

*Dying light*

Burk WELL....... That's unfortunate.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Stanley Pain posted:

*pours one out for Evolve*

If it had launched as a F2P, or heck even a $40 game things would have probably gone better. I remember the backlash from the Day 0 DLC was quite heavy and then lost like 50% of it's player base month over month.

yeah I got the complete pack on sale for like 20 a few months before it went f2p and thought it was really cool but then couldn't recommend it to a friend like 3 days later since it was right back up to 45+ for everything and by then it took 5+ minutes to find a match, and certainly the base game was not worth 20 bucks with how much was chopped up into the dlc. I hope something good winds up coming from the fantasy evolve-alike f2p game turtle-rock has supposedly been working on for a few years now.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I am a console pleb so we never even got the "new" FPS mechanics of Evolve before it died out. Hell even now i think they shut down the matchmaking servers for Evolve just a little while ago so RIP Evolve, to good for this AAA gaming space :(

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Burkion posted:

Or

Just engage with your audience

Be a playful happy go lucky Jason

Well yeah, be fun jason, be rear end in a top hat jason, whatever. But if you’re going to be silent Jason at least turn your mic off so stalk works.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

TheBizzness posted:

Well yeah, be fun jason, be rear end in a top hat jason, whatever. But if you’re going to be silent Jason at least turn your mic off so stalk works.

I believe the correct way to play as Jason is with a live mic while constantly chanting 'ki ki ki ki ma ma ma ma'

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i would sing an italian aria that i always warmed up with back during my choir days and holy crap did that mess with people

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Coolguye posted:

i would sing an italian aria that i always warmed up with back during my choir days and holy crap did that mess with people

Now this, this sounds incredible.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

TheBizzness posted:

Now this, this sounds incredible.

It was quite spectacular and I remember one streamer freaking out over it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

It was quite spectacular and I remember one streamer freaking out over it

she called it satanic chanting

it was beautiful

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I remember:

"It's an aria you uncultured heathen!"

*Jason smashes through door and choke slams the counselor into the fireplace*

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if "Depth" counts, but it can be pretty spooky if you are already nervous about being underwater in the first place. The game balance is really good and the game itself is really, really fun. Also the devs seem to never quit making the game better. Whelp, that's my two cents! Cool thread

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I remember:

"It's an aria you uncultured heathen!"

*Jason smashes through door and choke slams the counselor into the fireplace*

Wasn't there video of this somewhere? I feel like that's a thing I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I don't know if "Depth" counts, but it can be pretty spooky if you are already nervous about being underwater in the first place.

I can see this. This might sound super stupid but I’m ridiculously afraid of sharks and it gives me real anxiety when a shark chases me in GTA5.