Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I would have played the Stelios Kontos song from American Dad if I thought anyone would get the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Yo, I picked up Friday the 13th in the sale and have been enjoying it, but having trouble convincing my friends to join me. They've chosen DbD based on review scores. I'm bouncing off it hard with the free trial. Is there some kind of DbD Conversion therapy I can take to enjoy it after F13?

Specifically I'm having trouble getting into DbD because I'm not liking the killers or the seemingly endless amount of generators to fix, and it's generating way less comedy than F13. Am I doing something wrong here?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I don't know if "Depth" counts, but it can be pretty spooky if you are already nervous about being underwater in the first place. The game balance is really good and the game itself is really, really fun. Also the devs seem to never quit making the game better. Whelp, that's my two cents! Cool thread

It's definitely asymmetrical, and I've had more than one moment where my heart kinda skipped a beat because a mako just darted in, grabbed a teammate, and then dragged them away into the darkness in five seconds flat.

Then the screamin', that awful screamin'...

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Yo, I picked up Friday the 13th in the sale and have been enjoying it, but having trouble convincing my friends to join me. They've chosen DbD based on review scores. I'm bouncing off it hard with the free trial. Is there some kind of DbD Conversion therapy I can take to enjoy it after F13?

Specifically I'm having trouble getting into DbD because I'm not liking the killers or the seemingly endless amount of generators to fix, and it's generating way less comedy than F13. Am I doing something wrong here?

I could never get my friends to play either but at least they didn’t play DbD instead.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

It's definitely asymmetrical, and I've had more than one moment where my heart kinda skipped a beat because a mako just darted in, grabbed a teammate, and then dragged them away into the darkness in five seconds flat.

Then the screamin', that awful screamin'...

Does Depth still have a decent playerbase? Because that sounds wicked and sharks are definitely the psycho axe maniacs of the sea.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So there's video of Last Year out now.. and uh, I guess I'd call it asymmetric left 4 dead. The five survivors can rescue dead ones from closets and have to complete objectives to escape, while the killer swaps between the Strangler, Slasher, and Giant (essentially the Smoker, Hunter, and Tank) and places traps in ghost mode. it's.. not looking very good.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Quicksilver6 posted:

Just buy them all copies of f13. It's currently 5.99 for the humble bundle Halloween sale: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/halloween-sale/

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So there's video of Last Year out now.. and uh, I guess I'd call it asymmetric left 4 dead. The five survivors can rescue dead ones from closets and have to complete objectives to escape, while the killer swaps between the Strangler, Slasher, and Giant (essentially the Smoker, Hunter, and Tank) and places traps in ghost mode. it's.. not looking very good.

Now I'm even more curious to see how it all plays out. That sounds bizarre.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Looks like they basically only put it out through one youtuber so far. This is a fuckin' bizarre game.

Here's one gameplay vid.
And a second.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That game looks loving awesome. I couldn't stand dead by daylight, the gameplay just didn't do it for me, but that looks way closer to the old Hidden source mod and other first person games like that, only it looks like it has really good production values. I also like the characters and the setting even if they're a little generic

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahaha. Ok, I think I kinda dig that. The first promo video didn't capture that manic tone at all. Still would have preferred some cooler killers though.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

As long as they support it with new killers and stuff, I'm totally on board too. Just need some spooky-style killers and I'll be hunky-dory.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Frog Act posted:

That game looks loving awesome. I couldn't stand dead by daylight, the gameplay just didn't do it for me, but that looks way closer to the old Hidden source mod and other first person games like that, only it looks like it has really good production values. I also like the characters and the setting even if they're a little generic

I was thinking the same thing, it feels like a solid version of The Hidden with more variation on what the Hidden could do. I dig the whole ghost mode to killer to ghost mode mechanic they have going on. Means people just can't out run the killer.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what is this then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXL6IJgrE0

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Not an asymmetrical horror game? It seems to be a 4 player co-op horror. The PVP mode they talk about in the early access thing (that isn't implemented yet) seems to just be "be a regular person with a different objective" instead of playing as the spooky thing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Looks like they basically only put it out through one youtuber so far. This is a fuckin' bizarre game.

Here's one gameplay vid.
And a second.

So you are completely safe in the classrooms since Strangler's hook breaks when it touchs anything and the bigger guys don't even move poo poo out of the way so you can loop the killer around desks forever.

Assuming they fix that i think it'll be neat though.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Here's one gameplay vid.
And a second.

I really enjoyed these.

It seems a bit cheap that they can see what class the killer spawned as, ought to be a shock when he skylights / vents / walls you. Other than that it looks cool - definitely forces the killer to isolate and pick off people.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMH37d_ulGM

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It looks really fun to play but also fun to watch which is huge.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

RBX posted:

It looks really fun to play but also fun to watch which is huge.

Yeah! They really need to get their marketing poo poo together. That one video they put out makes it looks like a completely different game.

Also, the killers are kinda growing on me. I dig the Jack Torrance vibe they're going for with The Slasher and The Strangler reminds me of something too, but I can't put my finger on it.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 2, 2018

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah! They really need to get their marketing poo poo together. That one video they put out makes it looks like a completely different game.

Also, the killers are kinda growing on me. I dig the Jack Torrance vibe they're going for with The Slasher and The Strangler reminds me of something too, but I can't put my finger on it.

Jesse from Breaking Bad - but as a psycho supernatural killer.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The tactic of "wade into the survivors swinging wildly" appears to be a losing one - which I like.

The killer can and will get poo poo on if he goes up against the large group. Separating them with clever plays and picking them off one by one is how to win.

The best I've seen is the stranglers who lay smart traps, pull a guy from around a corner and drag them to the trap doors and drop down with them while the others are stuck behind the previously mentioned traps.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm liking what I've seen so far, I'm ready for new ways to fail and die horribly in games like this.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I had my best and worst games as killer last night. It really highlighted to me places that need tweaking, especially on the survivor equipment end of things. It's very frustrating as killer when the survivors are highly organized and abusing some of the current equipment.

I'll try to update the OP to flesh out more info on Last Year. It's a definite buy for me.

Although it may be a flash in the pan when it comes out, it's good fun.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

There are some serious balance issues they need to sort out first. The survivors make Dead by Daylight's look underpowered. (loving Shockers)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I dunno, maybe their idea of "balance" is different than F13 or DbD, as in it's actually balanced and both sides are equal. F13's balance is in favor of Jason unless the counselors are really good or the Jason is really bad, DbD's balance is in favor of the survivors.

I mean, I prefer the F13 method of making the killer actually intimidating but... maybe that's just not what Last Year is going for?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I've been watching a lot oh Ohmwrecker's YouTube streams of both F13 and DbD. I really wish F13 wasn't dying / barely clinging to life, because it absolutely looks like the better game :smith:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Looking at it, the killer is going to be ridiculously poo poo against an organised group of survivors. Barricading doors prevents his movement, lot of the rooms it looks like you can prevent him spawning anywhere nearby simply by posting a survivor in the hallway, etc. I've watched maybe 3 hours or so of various streamers playing it and I already know all the instant kill spots.

Looks like good fun but it needs a little more.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I could be points based. Like even if the team escapes at the zero hour but the killer got 40 kills (are full team wipes even possible?) then the killer would still be considered the winner?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

null_pointer posted:

I've been watching a lot oh Ohmwrecker's YouTube streams of both F13 and DbD. I really wish F13 wasn't dying / barely clinging to life, because it absolutely looks like the better game :smith:

As somebody who's played both, it really is. It's just that the majority of people prefer bland mush to anything unique, and the Victor Miller lawsuit was the Final Friday.

I only got one of my friends to try the game and I basically had to buy the game for him, and then he just didn't "get it". But he played DbD on his own, way more than we played F13 together. I really don't get how people can like DbD at all.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

dogstile posted:

Looking at it, the killer is going to be ridiculously poo poo against an organised group of survivors.

What I don't get is the survivors can see the traps? Is that a perk you can gain? Or are they used as a deterrent more than for actually trapping people?

If these questions have been answered in those videos, I apologise. I watched them in work with the sound down when my boss left the room.

I really love the tank's backbreaker. :black101:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Drunken Baker posted:

What I don't get is the survivors can see the traps? Is that a perk you can gain? Or are they used as a deterrent more than for actually trapping people?

If these questions have been answered in those videos, I apologise. I watched them in work with the sound down when my boss left the room.

I really love the tank's backbreaker. :black101:

Survivors can see the traps. The idea is that they are a deterrent and slow them down.

They can be used tactically, like trapping one side of the group then spawning the Giant on the other. It essentially forces them to get close to the killer or take time to disarm - time otherwise spent shocking, stunning, blinding, shooting, or hitting the killer.

Another example is to place them in between the Strangler and the survivors, then grapple someone through the trap. This can slow them enough that you can confirm the kill or get the grapple target to the basement.

You basically mix the traps and the gas to create a situation where it's hard for them to react when you spawn in and try to kill someone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, you can place the trips in some devious spots (the other side of vents, etc). The killer can also only have six traps out at once, but that's not actually tracked anywhere on the killers hud, which is a bit lovely.

The survivors knowing what killer it is kinda sucks, i'd prefer it if they didn't until they saw him. It has the foundations of a really fun game, i just think it needs a couple tweaks.

Also giving the survivors a stun gun at level start is kinda wtf.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

A stun gun, a (looks like) craftable shotgun, molotovs,a flashbang and proximity mines that from th3 videos looks really goddamn effect for just kamikazeing the killer with . All of that just for the scout the class that's balanced by "cant attack"

Meanwhile the assault gets a football helmet and a bat with barbed wire on it :hurr:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The survivors are really strong grouped up, the killer only gets kills by forcibly separating them, like with a hook or a trap door that they aren't paying attention to. But, the survivors in the streams we've seen in here immediately figure "oh, killer got them, they're dead" as soon as they're separated in most cases, which means survivors won't risk the killer to save each other, like how de-hooking was a clever idea that didn't work for DBD and the execution post was for Deathgarden. I always thought that was a pretty neat element, though, and it's sad to see them get rid of it instead of make it good.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
A group of well coordinated survivors who know what they're doing is very very difficult. That SHOULD be the case, but there's a few things which tip the scales a bit too much when they are abused:

• No shotguns, tasers or any items at spawn. Replace with additional scrap. (And yes, I have been hit with a shotgun they found at spawn and was unable to prevent them from roaming the map getting MORE shotguns as a result)
  • No seeing who the killer is with TAB
  • The killer needs to spawn about 5 seconds earlier and he needs to know where the gas is a few seconds before the survivors.
  • Taser needs to deplete faster and not be able to be "tapped" triggering an animation on the killer for 1% of the charge. I would recommend at least 10% of its use to start working, and diminish returns as you hold the trigger down.
  • Shotgun needs fewer shots. (2 max)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah every shotgun has six shots?

Holy poo poo. I've watched people try and jump the nerd with the shotgun while they've been separated and just get loving schooled (eyyyy)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also a couple of the gas spawns are kind of bullshit. It shouldn't spawn in the bathroom right off the gym where there's literally 0 insta-kill spots for them to gently caress up and stand in and is super close to the lift. Almost impossible to contest that one.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The Shame Boy posted:

A stun gun, a (looks like) craftable shotgun, molotovs,a flashbang and proximity mines that from th3 videos looks really goddamn effect for just kamikazeing the killer with . All of that just for the scout the class that's balanced by "cant attack"

Meanwhile the assault gets a football helmet and a bat with barbed wire on it :hurr:

From all of the streams I've watched the pipe bomb might actually be the worst out of all of them because it only takes 10 scrap for the Medic to build and can one shot the killers. People will just load up on scrap so they can build a new one as soon as they use the one they have and never have to worry unless other people are stupid and try to run at the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8dhZHcDmxE

sounds interesting in the least. reminds of deceit.