Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Imagined posted:

IIRC a long time ago Magic issued some decks that were duplicates of winning tournament decks, but with different backs and borders so you could tell they weren't the "real" cards. I wish they would issue reprints of the old cards like that in retail priced booster packs that would make the kitchen table players like me happy but not be tournament legal and ruin the secondary market. Basically official proxies.

I bought one of those with like 4 Masticores and a bunch of other artifact stuff when I was 10 or so and was crestfallen pretty much immediately after opening it when I realized they weren't "real" cards. I imagine they'd be worth pennies today, if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Dump all those expensive cards and invest the money in something sensible like an solid retirement fund. The cash from selling those things is way more useful than cards rotting in a box.

Being one leaky roof away from huge financial losses is certainly a choice, though.

? I own a house with enough equity to buy two smaller houses. I’m not broke. Besides I sold the cards a decade ago and lost a huge amount of money on it because they appreciated way more rapidly than just about any other investment.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

LingcodKilla posted:

? I own a house with enough equity to buy two smaller houses. I’m not broke. Besides I sold the cards a decade ago and lost a huge amount of money on it because they appreciated way more rapidly than just about any other investment.

Carry on then.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I was giddy when i remembered my collection of 90s cards until i realized that they'd been gone through by my brother before and everything of value was sold for drug money. The most valuable cards in the box were old tormod's crypts lol

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The Moon Monster posted:

I bought one of those with like 4 Masticores and a bunch of other artifact stuff when I was 10 or so and was crestfallen pretty much immediately after opening it when I realized they weren't "real" cards. I imagine they'd be worth pennies today, if anything.

Honestly, it depends. The gold-border cards are about as close to "official proxy" as you can get without holding the Magic printers at gunpoint, so some people in Commander do allow them to be used. This is one of the highest-end examples, but even a gold-border Gaea's Cradle runs about $70-80, which seems like a lot until you realize the black-border ones are $300+ (and more than triple that for foils).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Imagined posted:

IIRC a long time ago Magic issued some decks that were duplicates of winning tournament decks, but with different backs and borders so you could tell they weren't the "real" cards. I wish they would issue reprints of the old cards like that in retail priced booster packs that would make the kitchen table players like me happy but not be tournament legal and ruin the secondary market. Basically official proxies.

I loved those. I liked having a cheap way to play a really high end deck in casual games without having to make ugly proxies myself. My favourite was Carlos Romao's Psychatog deck. It took me a couple of games to figure out how to play it but once I did my friends had to tell me I couldn't use it anymore because I started winning every game.

Yes it was essentially netdecking while being too lazy to netdeck properly and too cheap to pay for the real cards. Still cool though.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Hello death thread, it’s been six months and things have somehow gotten worse for WotC- they effectively emergency banned 4 more cards in standard yesterday morning and had banned even more cards in more formats during regular review cycles. In another first, they changed how one of the mechanics from the new set worked because 90+% of competitive decks on arena were using the new mechanic within a couple days of the sets release. To give a sense of the balance failures going on in the game:

Sales are still holding strong but the player base seems deeply discontent, I would expect some sort of article or announcement from Wizards talking about their design philosophy soon.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Hello death thread, it’s been six months and things have somehow gotten worse for WotC- they effectively emergency banned 4 more cards in standard yesterday morning and had banned even more cards in more formats during regular review cycles. In another first, they changed how one of the mechanics from the new set worked because 90+% of competitive decks on arena were using the new mechanic within a couple days of the sets release. To give a sense of the balance failures going on in the game:

Sales are still holding strong but the player base seems deeply discontent, I would expect some sort of article or announcement from Wizards talking about their design philosophy soon.

I get them wanting to maybe push more cards to keep things dynamic but what the gently caress is going on with the Future Future League that no one is discovering all of this blatantly degenerate day zero busted stuff during playtest?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I haven't really followed mtg releases closely in the past, are they releasing stuff faster in the last while? Like games workshop is making GBS threads out content lately, so of course it's a broken and unbalanced mess, it feels like a new book is coming out every day. But wizards has enough time (and enough people who would be willing to test) to ensure that new releases work.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I haven't really followed mtg releases closely in the past, are they releasing stuff faster in the last while? Like games workshop is making GBS threads out content lately, so of course it's a broken and unbalanced mess, it feels like a new book is coming out every day. But wizards has enough time (and enough people who would be willing to test) to ensure that new releases work.

Excluding the couple years where they skipped core sets they've been doing 1 core + 3 block sets a year like they have since time immemorial.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

mango sentinel posted:

Excluding the couple years where they skipped core sets they've been doing 1 core + 3 block sets a year like they have since time immemorial.

I thought they were moving to a model of a block only being two sets a while back. Did that get scrapped?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

I thought it was about the same pace as normal. So there goes the "making too much stuff to properly test" theory, they're just getting lazy or not caring.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
There aren't really "blocks" anymore. The last three non-core sets were Throne of Eladrine, Theros Beyond Death, and Ikoria. I have a vague guess that there's maybe too much siloing between teams combined with heavy pressure to make new products sell, resulting in a mix of unintended synergies and undertuned mechanics, but :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The most embarrassing poo poo is that they admitted in playtest they basically never thought of using Oko's second ability on the other guy's permanents, and thought that Wilderness Rec was just a limited card to help you Mutate your guys on your opponents turn right after playing them, not something you'd respond to to cast your own big X spells or use to hold up mana to do poo poo on your turn and still play like you're draw-go control.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I haven't played MTG since 2000, but I've been getting kind of nostalgic for it lately, and my brother, who had been too, started with Arena and has convinced me to do the same. I'm a little daunted by learning all the new mechanics, but I'm also extremely curious to see how the game plays these days in Standard.

Apparently... not that great? Is it still fun for general play, or is the meta kind of broken all round at the moment?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

I haven't played MTG since 2000, but I've been getting kind of nostalgic for it lately, and my brother, who had been too, started with Arena and has convinced me to do the same. I'm a little daunted by learning all the new mechanics, but I'm also extremely curious to see how the game plays these days in Standard.

Apparently... not that great? Is it still fun for general play, or is the meta kind of broken all round at the moment?

I hope you like tokens

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lol teferi and cat got banned? hahah

I played a lot of arena last year and cat while beatable was annoying as hell to play against because it took forever to click through

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Cat got banned almost entirely because it's incredibly annoying to actually use on arena, and 90-odd per cent of Magic is happening on Arena at the moment. It was banned for UI issues, not power.

The rest...

I'm still relatively new to the game, but based on other commentary, it seems like it's a mix of a change in design philosophy for the last couple of blocks where they were shooting for a higher power level and... well, succeeded... and the simple fact that they get a LOT more effectively open beta playtesting and a LOT more data about power level and what's being run at any given time out of online play than they ever did out of offline play.

So there's a mix between yeah, they hosed up some of their design and playtesting, and they simply have more data to know what's happening with the game live, now. Previously it might have been months or even a year plus before it became clear that something was absolutely dominant and hugely problematic, now it can become obvious in days or weeks.

MeinPanzer posted:

Arena is fine if you're a casual player, it's pretty fun, and the meta in particular right now is in massive flux because of the recent bans and will continue to be for some weeks given that it's only a little over a month before rotation.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm still relatively new to the game, but based on other commentary, it seems like it's a mix of a change in design philosophy for the last couple of blocks where they were shooting for a higher power level and... well, succeeded... and the simple fact that they get a LOT more effectively open beta playtesting and a LOT more data about power level and what's being run at any given time out of online play than they ever did out of offline play.

So there's a mix between yeah, they hosed up some of their design and playtesting, and they simply have more data to know what's happening with the game live, now. Previously it might have been months or even a year plus before it became clear that something was absolutely dominant and hugely problematic, now it can become obvious in days or weeks.

I dunno, I think a lot of people immediately realized how good Oko and companions were, it’s not like they were borderline and got the axe after a long tournament season when WotC noticed they had a 55% win rate against the field. They were big splashy marketing cards for their set and they clearly got the juice in order to spur sales, which I think speaks to the real problem- it feels like the general power band for cards has been expanded, and it’s a lot harder to balance cards that are supposed to feel powerful instead of balancing cards that are supposed to feel fair.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If my Space Hulk board pieces have warped slightly over time, how would I best flatten them out again? Just stack books on them overnight?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I dunno, I think a lot of people immediately realized how good Oko and companions were, it’s not like they were borderline and got the axe after a long tournament season when WotC noticed they had a 55% win rate against the field. They were big splashy marketing cards for their set and they clearly got the juice in order to spur sales, which I think speaks to the real problem- it feels like the general power band for cards has been expanded, and it’s a lot harder to balance cards that are supposed to feel powerful instead of balancing cards that are supposed to feel fair.

Oko in particular just feels like a colossal screwup, not a factor of a vastly higher play rate. E: and IIRC they copped to that in the ban article.

Companions similarly, though I think the mechanic could have been designed to be balanced, and the nerf went a little too far - I'd've preferred to see them either cost you a card in the initial draw (i.e. if you have a companion your first draw is 6 not 7) or force you to bottom a card out of your initial draw of 7, rather than the fix they went with, which fixed the higher power ones but kind of killed the utility of the lower power ones like Kaheera entirely.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 5, 2020

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Imagined posted:

If my Space Hulk board pieces have warped slightly over time, how would I best flatten them out again? Just stack books on them overnight?

Chuck em and 3D print better ones.

But heavy books might well work.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Oko in particular just feels like a colossal screwup, not a factor of a vastly higher play rate. E: and IIRC they copped to that in the ban article.

Companions similarly, though I think the mechanic could have been designed to be balanced, and the nerf went a little too far - I'd've preferred to see them either cost you a card in the initial draw (i.e. if you have a companion your first draw is 6 not 7) or force you to bottom a card out of your initial draw of 7, rather than the fix they went with, which fixed the higher power ones but kind of killed the utility of the lower power ones like Kaheera entirely.

I remember Maro having some kind of comment either on twitter or his tumblr about how new mechanics succeed when they’re powerful, so I think that speaks to the problem- anyone who’s been playing magic for a year or two could have looked at companions as printed and realized they were about the most powerful possible implementation of the mechanic. There are a zillion balancing mechanisms that could have made them fine, but the fact that WotC initially went with the implementation that has the highest potential for degenerate play patterns really shows where their priorities are these days.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Imagined posted:

Just be careful, because sometimes the top layer of the cardboard might stick to the book and peel off when you lift the book away. I've never tried but maybe put some plastic wrap in between?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Just be careful, because sometimes the top layer of the cardboard might stick to the book and peel off when you lift the book away. I've never tried but maybe put some plastic wrap in between?

Parchment paper is probably the better choice - it's what's used to separate transfers.

Clingfilm is almost certainly going to stick if its sticky.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Parchment paper is probably the better choice - it's what's used to separate transfers.

Clingfilm mostly only sticks to itself (or to other things by static). I've used it a fair bit when gluing things because the glue won't stick to it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

Clingfilm mostly only sticks to itself (or to other things by static). I've used it a fair bit when gluing things because the glue won't stick to it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen printed stuff stick to clingfilm. But then it might have been time and it may have degraded together.

Still prefer parchment though. Nothing sticks to that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Oh yeah, didn't think of that. That's a way better choice.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
It's usually humidity changes that cause warping, so heavy books and parchment should help at least coax the tiles back to their proper flatness. If you're an insano like me, you can go around the edges of each tile with a permanent marker, wait for them to dry, then moisture-seal them by brushing some Mod Podge over the edges in a couple of coats. Then chuck a bunch of "do not eat" silica dessicant packets into the box. Maybe consider moving to a desert?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Magic isn't on a faster release schedule for standard product than it has been before, but it feels frantic on total releases. Since quarantine we've had the usual two standard sets (Ikoria and M21), sure, but we've also had (to the best of my memory):

-Mystery Booster (depending on when you shut down, technically I got it in the weekend I closed in March)
-Commander 2020
-Jumpstart
-Double Masters (with VIP pack variant)
-New starter kit
-Signature Spellbook: Chandra
-Fetchlands secret lair

And we now have Collector Booster variants for standard sets, so there's an additional SKU for Ikoria/M21, plus they're adding another type of booster for Zendikar, the Set Boosters, so we're going to be on 3 SKUs per set just of packs. And that's just stuff that goes through LGSes, though they seem to have calmed down on Secret Lairs for now, I think maybe because of COVID disruptions to their on-demand print services.

Anyway, of those products, three of them (Jumpstart, Double Masters, and Mystery Booster) are booster products, so there's no spending cap on them. The starter kit probably isn't going to appeal to established players and is mostly a way to replace the free product they gave out to new players with a really cheap one (or maybe to try to get LGSes to eat the cost because at $3 per that's not unreasonable behavior given how much people love "the first hit is free"). But most Commander players are going to buy all the Commander precons, which went up in cost-to-LGS such that they're now probably $40 per in most stores. And the fetchland secret lair was a super short print run of literally just 5 cards at a good second market rate in a giant wasteful box. Even that aside, three additional booster sets in as much time as it takes them to print three normal sets is pretty unprecedented, even if the additional sets are (mostly, Jumpstart has some new cards) reprints that don't affect standard legality.

My players certainly feel some fatigue.

That said, it's not clear to me this is a herald of death for them; Magic players love to complain, but Ikoria was apparently their best Spring set release ever despite the global pandemic. So not clear to me that people are quitting or not buying to go along with complaining online.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I got back into magic via arena recently and I can tell you as a returning player the cat deck was not fun to sit through all the reactions and endless cyclying.

As for degenerate cards they are putting out so many more requiring bans I can even fathom its insane. Their playtest or their teams need a work through because Time raveler teferi is dumb and should not exist.

Reclamation is something I don't know how they looked at and didn't see an issue.

Ugin still drives me nuts just because its a board clear you have very few options to respond with.

Now their new set is going to be a ton of meta cards like the swords and colllosi. Its very :psyduck: to me as an old player where a skull clamp ban was unheard of and now bans are a regular occurrence.

Also the speed of which they drop sets. Its like maybe a month or two bewteen new pack sets? I dropped it entirely before because it was a 2nd job keeping up with it but well Covid makes you do a lot of things otherwise not.

The gently caress Wizards.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My eyes are bad and I can’t make out the title of the cat card to look up its effects in that graphic, can someone help a geezer out?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

food court bailiff posted:

My eyes are bad and I can’t make out the title of the cat card to look up its effects in that graphic, can someone help a geezer out?

Cauldron Familiar.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Combine with Witch's Oven for a tedious game that takes forever for your opponent to do nothing.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ultiville posted:

That said, it's not clear to me this is a herald of death for them; Magic players love to complain, but Ikoria was apparently their best Spring set release ever despite the global pandemic. So not clear to me that people are quitting or not buying to go along with complaining online.

I would hope that the death thread veterans would know that through the magic of capitalism no publicly traded nerd game company can truly die but at least we can caper about and have some laffs when one of them steps on a series of rakes.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Chuck em and 3D print better ones.

But heavy books might well work.

Really? This one came with some of the nicest, thickest tiles and best plastic miniatures I've ever seen.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

I would hope that the death thread veterans would know that through the magic of capitalism no publicly traded nerd game company can truly die but at least we can caper about and have some laffs when one of them steps on a series of rakes.

Oh sure, just felt like I should clarify. They are definitely making a bunch of weird decisions.

But it's also worth remembering that if they do a bunch of stuff we hate but make oodles of money, they didn't step on rakes, they just did stuff we hate to their profit.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
https://steamforged.com/sfg-news-bl...iodi86F2HX9zNPs

:rip: Guild Ball

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

That's kind of sad. While I never played GuildBall, I always thought their sculpts were pretty neat. ...Which makes me part of the problem, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Dr. Gargunza posted:

That's kind of sad. While I never played GuildBall, I always thought their sculpts were pretty neat. ...Which makes me part of the problem, I guess.

Well tbf a lot of it was that they felt they were running out of design space since the game was hyperfocused on being a competitive game (and to be fair it was really, really good at that).