Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bEatmstrJ posted:

Its not quite like that, but you're certainly on the right track. We've actually made a number of improvements to the process since I posted this thread, but ultimately the manufacturing part needs to be outsourced to someone with expensive machines. All of our patterns are the same, just a straight line with alternating sizes, very basic stuff.

The basic process for us is applying transfer tape to a row of pre-aligned gems, stretching the sock over a plastic template and applying the transfer tape to the template to line the gems up on the sock. Stick the whole thing in the heat-press a few at a time and you're done. We can do about 12-15pr an hour with this method, but when you start getting orders for hundreds of pairs that are due in a few days its hard to keep up.

As much as I hate to say this, get on Alibaba and start contacting the customer contacts for sock manufacturers out of their items for sale list. Ask them to give you a contact for custom product manufacture and start talking numbers. Also, start talking to other people who have actually done overseas manufacturing to get them to walk you through the pitfalls.

I wish I could say to go with a US-based manufacturer, but (1) you're small and have to compete on margins with massive firms who do use sweatshops, and (2) there's sweet gently caress-all of reliable affordable on-shore manufacturers who will give you the time of day compared to pulling an overseas manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU