Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

bEatmstrJ posted:

My cousin started a small business selling socks a few years back. I've been working with her to help improve the business and make things more efficient. One of the least efficient aspects currently is the hand application of crystals which adorn the socks. This is currently done in-home by herself with great expense in time and a large margin for error which is not at all scalable when she gets large orders in. I've come up with a few different ideas for how to speed up the process but I'm definitely not an expert in this area by any means.

What i'm looking for is any of the following:
1) Someone who can engineer a better way to apply the crystals
2) Someone who can develop tooling or templating to make the process faster and idiot proof
3) Someone who can actually do the application of the crystals at a reasonable cost for a small business

I don't really know where to start my search and so I was hoping someone here might know. I should also mention that ideally we want to keep this process in the US. We're currently in SoCal.

From the information given it is hard to tell your best route. How much revenue are you guys currently pulling in? Is this all at home or do you lease a dedicated space too?

Assuming your operation is large enough to warrant outside investigation then you'll want to consider an engineering consultant. If you feel your sock design is itself sound then probably a firm that focuses on industrial engineering would be suitable. They can help optimize your processes to eliminate waste.

Since you're in SoCal there are probably a ton of such firms. Call around and see what they'll offer and quote for estimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU