Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

half the movie is about romance drama between yuta and rikka and then they confess at the end, so its confirmed Lame and Fail

Whelp was nice caring about that franchise but gently caress this film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Whelp was nice caring about that franchise but gently caress this film
dont worry you also get rikka pretending her brother is her boyfriend to make yuta jealous because that was truly the evolution this franchise needed

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Akane was right, world is a gently caress. Kill em all 1993, Anti is a trash man, 410757864530 dead kaiju

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

dont worry you also get rikka pretending her brother is her boyfriend to make yuta jealous because that was truly the evolution this franchise needed

Lamo not only going het but using bad Shonen romance tropes too...this sounds even more awful given Dynazenon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of Akane, any sign of her and/or Gauma? Also how much involvement do Anti/Knight and Second get in this movie?

Lastly, any sign of Gridman Sigma and/or the possibility of a fourth installment or did this effectively end the anime series on a wet fart?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 24, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay ill lay this out into three parts

1) mostly non-spoiler review

ill admit to kind of exaggerating the yuta/rikka thing cause i was annoyed. its like... 10-15 minutes of the movie maybe? its just pretty bad. rikka feels like she becomes really stock tsundere in those segments which is a shame because she gets some really good lines outside of it. beyond that its a pretty alright fanservice movie, there's a ten car pile up of transformations as you'd expect (that isnt a spoiler). it mostly just lacks the subversive qualities that dynazenon and gridman had. which i guess is the intent because the premise is that rikka and utsumi are trying to write a play about gridman and they get told 'give it more chaos if it's a kaiju movie,' and then, well. but even as someone who finds the toy commercialness of gridman/dynazenon charming it still felt a bit ehhh. there were moments that did reach those heights but it def. didnt feel like the focus. overall like 7/10?

1.5) spoilers but only for the specific thing people are probably annoyed about

basically yuta wants to confess to her, there's wacky shonen romcom misunderstandings with her college aged brother being mistaken for her boyfriend, and then at the end yuta confesses and it fades to black. like i said its like 10-15 minutes of the movie and its only at the start and the very end so its... ignorable i guessss? id need to rewatch but i dont think rikka says 'i love you' back, technically, i think she just goes 'i know,' but given everything else in the movie its pretty obvious what they intended

1.9) spoilers but only for the specific thing people are probably annoyed about but like, heavy heavy spoilers

you get a live action segment with akane where she seems to be hanging out with live action rikka so i guess its trying to have its cake and eat it too? and at the end when akane's briefly around utsumi's like 'shouldn't you say something to her' to rikka and rikka goes 'if i talked to her, id wind up saying way too much' which is the best line rikka gets in the movie but also feels really undercut by the yuta stuff

2) spoiler review/answering larryb's questions

as stated akane is around, she has a brief live action cameo and then shows up at the end to help
gauma is around some, i think hes merged with rex now? he gets a couple focus scenes
anti/knight get a decent bit, second is only really around for the climax
in general everyone is there for the climax because its the big fanservice finale
alexis returns and helps defeat the New Bad Guy and then does a dramatic crumbling to dust as if hes expunged all his power and then borr goes 'he's faking it btw' which seems like sequel bait

overall there's some existentialism mostly dealing with all these characters who are barely in it. akane and anti get a conversation thats cool. but in general the best material is when those characters are around and well, theyre barely around

like i said its basically just a super robot wars finale for these two shows specifically. the yuta/rikka stuff was lame to me but i didnt hate it, but if that bugs you it depends how ignorable you'll find it.

its basically just a fanservice movie in every sense of the word, for good or ill. 7/10ish? its Fine but it had a couple things that bugged me and didnt really feel like it was reaching for the same kind of stuff gridman and dynazenon were

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 24, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alright, that sounds slightly better than the trailer made it out to be if nothing else

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

hate it for Yuta/Rikka stuff so I'm inclined to hate it and trying to have the cake and eat it too just makes it seem work, but even beyond that everything sounds like it's a Toei Kamen Rider crossover/Precure all stars movie done paint by numbers and whelp that's not what I want from Gridman. TheRikka/Yuta stuff just makes it so I'll hate it even more

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shame to hear that it didn't reach its full potential but I'll check it out anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its also definitely a gridman sequel, the dynazenon cast get a couple scenes but are mostly just there to make the finale cooler

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is live action Akane still played by Rikka’s VA like she was at the end of Gridman?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Is live action Akane still played by Rikka’s VA like she was at the end of Gridman?
id have to check but im pretty sure it was the same actress, yeah

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
God, reading that part with Rikka telling Utsumi she has too many things she wants to say to Akane is so much more sincere and emotionally impactful than the boring rear end Yuta/Rikka nonsense. Does Trigger really think people actually love Yuta/Rikka

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the world is full of basic bitches

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Endorph posted:

1.5) spoilers but only for the specific thing people are probably annoyed about

basically yuta wants to confess to her, there's wacky shonen romcom misunderstandings with her college aged brother being mistaken for her boyfriend, and then at the end yuta confesses and it fades to black. like i said its like 10-15 minutes of the movie and its only at the start and the very end so its... ignorable i guessss? id need to rewatch but i dont think rikka says 'i love you' back, technically, i think she just goes 'i know,' but given everything else in the movie its pretty obvious what they intended
I've been hearing it like
"He confesses to her, she says he’s late, but that she’s happy he’s late because it gave her time to come to like him. They both start blushing like crazy and awkwardly inching closer to each other until the move abruptly cuts off." And a whole ream of Yuta/Rikka congratulations from Japanese accounts.
But I haven't seen it personally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the world is full of basic bitches

Always the case

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
I don't really care about the romance in either of the shows or the movie outside of Gauma's relationship with the princess because I find any fixation on children flirting with and romancing each-other weird from both a creative perspective and a viewer's perspective, but the big issues I've been seeing from social media buzz are that it's pretty monotonous and self-indulgent in an uninteresting way. There was clearly a full narrative throughline with some kind of punchline planned since episode 1 of SSSS.G, still evident all the way into the end of SSSS.D, and all discussions and spoilers I've seen and heard shows they didn't stick to it for the movie in favor of some vague parallelism between Gridman, Akane, and technically Takeshi if you really wanna stretch it, to the point of completely dismissing half of the cast. Poor Gauma doesn't even get proper closure with the princess. She sells him a crab with a receipt that effectively tells him to get lost. I wouldn't have even minded if she just outright said to him out loud "You need to stop clinging to the past" to tie together the morals from Dynazenon. They just reduced a pretty significant part of his background to a gag.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4vjI6InDJM

Official Uni-Verse MV

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So any word on when this movie will be dropping in the west out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 26, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honestly, the movie sounds fine, it's just the one thing there that's bugging people about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough, and it doesn’t look like we have an English release date yet though I imagine we probably will soon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trogglodyte posted:

I don't really care about the romance in either of the shows or the movie outside of Gauma's relationship with the princess because I find any fixation on children flirting with and romancing each-other weird from both a creative perspective and a viewer's perspective, but the big issues I've been seeing from social media buzz are that it's pretty monotonous and self-indulgent in an uninteresting way. There was clearly a full narrative throughline with some kind of punchline planned since episode 1 of SSSS.G, still evident all the way into the end of SSSS.D, and all discussions and spoilers I've seen and heard shows they didn't stick to it for the movie in favor of some vague parallelism between Gridman, Akane, and technically Takeshi if you really wanna stretch it, to the point of completely dismissing half of the cast. Poor Gauma doesn't even get proper closure with the princess. She sells him a crab with a receipt that effectively tells him to get lost. I wouldn't have even minded if she just outright said to him out loud "You need to stop clinging to the past" to tie together the morals from Dynazenon. They just reduced a pretty significant part of his background to a gag.
i actually kind of liked that because its such an obvious theme that it really didnt need a ton of hinging on it. like dynazenon already hammered it in, its the obvious moral, gauma just never fully got it said to him. he did. thats the closure he needs. the fact that its done in a throwaway visual gag just feels like respecting the audience's intelligence.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

So any word on when this movie will be dropping in the west out of curiosity? It sounds like a trainwreck but there’s also enough interesting aspects that I’ll probably watch it anyway

For whatever it's worth, Japanese audiences on film sites have been giving it rave reviews, and the box office has been shockingly high considering the limited number of screens its running on.

Seems that the execution is good enough that it doesn't play out as a trainwreck.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Honestly the complaints are mostly the english speaking fanbase in an echo chamber from what little I've seen :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I take it back (plus there's a lot of interesting stuff in there as well based on the spoilers I've read) though I do wish they'd announce a western release date for the film soon.

We got everything else including the OG live action Gridman after all so I don’t see why they wouldn’t bring it over here

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 27, 2023

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Jesus christ, western anime fans are the loving worst sometimes.

Edit: some of you fuckers sound like the K-ON fanbase when it was announced that they may get boyfriends or college, or any Idol fan when its hinted that an Idol has a romantic life out of her job. Absolutely loving disgusting.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 27, 2023

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What are you talking about? This isn't about imposing an ideal of purity or anything, it's about the thing that SSSS was very explicitly about and that got people attached on purpose??

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Edit: some of you fuckers sound like the K-ON fanbase when it was announced that they may get boyfriends or college, or any Idol fan when its hinted that an Idol has a romantic life out of her job. Absolutely loving disgusting.

you are very dumb OP

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Caphi posted:

What are you talking about? This isn't about imposing an ideal of purity or anything, it's about the thing that SSSS was very explicitly about and that got people attached on purpose??

I agree. I don't blame people for being annoyed and irritated about Yuta/Rikka happening when Trigger does poo poo like claim that Rikka/Akane's relationship is yuri (yes I know they were kidding but it's lovely) and even Rikka's VA thinking that Yuta didn't stand a chance with her

Fivemarks posted:

gay characters are the best and the k-on girls should all be gay for each other

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 27, 2023

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Fivemarks posted:

yeah dude people getting kinda annoyed on an internet forum at any queer relationship inevitably being shunted off to the side for bland hetero romance is totally comparable to parasocial psychos sending real life people death threats for having personal lives

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

the post understander has logged on

my specific complaint is that the yuta romance stuff plays into treating rikka like 'romantic interest girl' instead of the emotional driving force of the story, and a lot of the writing around it in the movie doesnt exactly dispel that perspective. a lot of the jp fandom posts are specifically congratulating yuta on 'winning' which, hrm.

if rikka just walked onscreen with a random faceless boyfriend or something id get it as a way to show her moving on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is like the third person in this thread to act like heterophobia is real whats going on there

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

the post understander has logged on

my specific complaint is that the yuta romance stuff plays into treating rikka like 'romantic interest girl' instead of the emotional driving force of the story, and a lot of the writing around it in the movie doesnt exactly dispel that perspective. a lot of the jp fandom posts are specifically congratulating yuta on 'winning' which, hrm.

if rikka just walked onscreen with a random faceless boyfriend or something id get it as a way to show her moving on.

i find it stupid when fandoms treat female characters as objects to win by the hero.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 28, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

People that got into the Gridman cause of Rikka/Akane not liking the movie cause of it's plot is perfectly legit criticism of the movie

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
So long as there's giants in power armor punching giant monsters I'm still gonna be pleased with the movie.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

And that's cool if that's what you want from the movie ...It's just for me no amount of giant robot punching is going to make up for the other issue and I can easily get robot punching in Witch from Mercury.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i wouldn't mind slightly less robot punching, personally

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wanted them to go full goshogun and have the robot not even appear in the movie

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

i wanted them to go full goshogun and have the robot not even appear in the movie

Akane would murder you for that suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chiasaur11 posted:

Akane would murder you for that suggestion.

Nah, she'd be all in for it, she hates mecha with a passion.

Now, if you said you didn't want kaiju in the movie, then she'd absolutely murder you.