Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck am I watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm only halfway through episode 2 and this show gives me hella second-hand embarrassment but it's just so loving bizarre I can't stop watching.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGz4Z78-uUw&t=2m

edit 2: Er...how's the quality from episode 3 onwards? Does it still remain at 1~2 levels, or ease off?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 17, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, 5's great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That was a hard one to get through at points.

Fuckin' been there, Lily. Fuckin' been there. :suicide:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I gotta say, this is not what I expected when I first caught wind of the show’s concept.

So far, it’s been pretty drat good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wasn't there some official word on the matter somewhere?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

The director has a couple of tweets about the episode that are mostly just about the concert scene and the development of the episode and not really addressing that plot point directly but, well, he calls her 'lily-chan' so it's pretty clear that the director also sees her as a girl named Lily, which, combined with how much of her backstory we're privy to, is already an official confirmation of 'yep she's trans' because there's no way to get from point a to point b without her being trans.

https://twitter.com/munehisa_sakai/status/1066436527540989953

From what I can tell of the Japanese discussion and reception, it's the typical bullshit you'd see elsewhere re: the matter. I find it highly unlikely that they understood what they asserted in the sense of how the West understands being trans, but it's ultimately the same no matter what, so the point is moot.

Death of the author is in full effect here, and if the West says she's trans, she's trans. :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

... why?

Like, the language is different between western and japanese conceptions of being trans, yeah, you could get into those differences all day, especially with regards to stuff like conflation of homosexuality and transsexuality, crossdressing, surgery, namechanges, etc. but the core idea is still exactly the same. someone who was born one sex presenting and identifying as the other, and the people around them respecting that identity. why is it somehow impossible that they just wrote a trans character? There's no indication to the contrary and every single thing in the show points to this being an intentional choice. the show is written exactly like how ive seen trans characters written in manga and other anime that were explicitly about trans characters. the west didn't invent transsexuality.

Yeah, you're right. The main reason I say that is because I've heard of confusion and difficulty in understanding the term as the West understands it, but as I mentioned, it's exactly the same thing no matter what. :shrug:

Also people on the internet will always be belligerent assholes, so I try not to take their opinions all that seriously.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

'
Hey there's this cool manga made by a Japaneses trans woman that talks a lot about this and yeah no Japan understands what trans people are.

Ooh, which one?

Endorph posted:

The confusion and difficulty more arises from specific terminology/specific ways of thinking. A big example is the idea that someone is 'male' up until the point they specifically decide to start presenting as female, or even up until the point that they pass as female. In the west, the general thinking is that someone is female even before they start presenting/passing, or even before they realize they're trans - you'll see trans people go 'back when I thought I was a guy' or whatever, as an example. In Japan, the thinking is much more transformative, going from male to female being an active point in your life.

This was a point of minor contention with the title of the (excellent, by the way, especially if you want more context on Japanese trans culture and laws relating to trans people) manga, 'The Bride Was a Boy,' since if you're approaching it from a western perspective of transsexuality it reads very oddly, but if you're coming at it from a Japanese understanding it makes perfect sense.

So, yeah, a lot of the devil is in the details, but the basic concepts are the same, and most of this episode doesn't really bump into any of the differences between western and japanese perceptions of trans people. So it's really hard to see how it's something that could have gotten lost in translation.

That's something that's been kinda hard to reconcile with my understanding. I understand that there's a particular state of existence that says "guy girl guy girl" etc. which is what I think the Japanese thinking is specifying in the transformative sense, and I'm sure it exists, but it's also used as a cudgel to say "no never" in the West, so my instinct is to push against it. Something I'm coming to terms with, I guess - it's a big old discussion that would be interesting to hash out. The whole "no and here's why" vs. "yes and it doesn't matter" thing, I think.

vvv 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 25, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, here's a few.

Huh. That one in the bottom right...I don't see a wound on her forehead.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nielsm posted:

Amount of new art uploaded on Pixiv with "Hoshikawa Lily" tag, by date. Or maybe it's number of searches. My kanji is weak.

IIRC yeah that's searches.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh! I should look up that kanji. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dzhay posted:

I might be getting into :tinfoil: territory, but those lyrics sound less like a theme song than an evocation.

Hahaha, it really does. That is awesome.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

I'd honestly be fine with this just being a 12-off. It's a cute premise and I like the characters but I don't think this could sustain any kind of huge franchise.

There's a lot of questions yet to be answered and I think they're gonna try and rush it in the last two episodes. This definitely can't go for more than one season, so let's hope they knock the last few eps out of the park.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Here's something easily missed: Yuugiri's pressure point thing on Junko's forehead makes an impression that doesn't go back to normal. :v:

edit: Personally, I feel like we need like at least half again of this episode. I wanted to see Saki's friend react a bit more to Saki showing up out of nowhere!!! I want more of these goobers!!!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 30, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not gonna lie, that hit a few nerves I was hoping to avoid.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Argas posted:

From the way people were talking about this episode I thought they went with the Sakura-didn't-die-in-the-accident twist but I'm glad they didn't. We were just deliberately kept in the dark about Sakura beyond a brief moment up to her death, and her amnesia covered up the rest.

Yeah, turns out it was the opposite. Nothing we saw was untrue, and we’ve been seeing everything...from the point the story began, anyway. That’s pretty clever.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I dunno about you, but I was actually pretty goddamn impressed by the CG. Framerate aside, the characters were emotive, the choreography was punchy, and it just seemed like a lot of love was poured into it despite the technical limitations. It's also kinda thematically appropriate that the crappy CG of the first few episodes evolved into something that was actually cool and competent.

Also holy poo poo I was loving dying at everything even slightly involving Tae. My favorite part was Tae munching on Sakura at the end :3:

Strong contender for AOTY.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Us women have loving excellent taste ( ・`ω・´)

I’m also genuinely surprised that this did so well (in a good way)! I hope we see more.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Went to Japan, found gacha.

Personally, I’m not happy until I have them all, but they’re still my babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I didn’t see much in Tokyo or Osaka. Makes sense, tho.