Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the unabonger
I rewatched The Visit the other night, and I have to admit, I really enjoyed it! I think the two main actors have a weirdly good chemistry, and the classic M. Night Shyamalan twist is actually pretty fun.

That being said, I am insanely excited for the Suspiria remake thats coming out on the 25th. I love the original, and Dario Argento's work in general. On top of that, I really really enjoyed Call me By Your Name which was directed by Luca Guadagnino, who will be directing the remake of Suspiria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger

Dungeon Ecology posted:

show suffers from the same sequelitis that most american shows have - they just don't know when end a story. or more specifically, the producers don't want to give away a captive audience.

I think its early seasons also really suffered from AMC-itis which is where characters stay in a certain location for all but the first couple and last couple episodes. Like as a concept, yeah that makes sense for a zombie show (imo it makes sense for people running from zombies to stop where safe haven is and move on once its no longer safe haven), but its executed in such a puzzling way that it felt really jarring.

the unabonger
has anyone watched Apostle?

Manifisto

i flunked out posted:

has anyone watched Apostle?

no, but looking at the reviews, which are mixed, I'd certainly be up for giving it a go. at least they're mixed in an interesting way, as in "ambitious but flawed"

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

do not watch Hereditary if you have PTSD or family trauma especially DID, thanks.

The Haunting of Hill House is exceptionally good. Show but well paced and hosed up in its own way. Not at all what I expected.

wearing a lampshade

Haunting of hill house is p good to watch

wearing a lampshade

hamjobs posted:

do not watch Hereditary if you have PTSD or family trauma especially DID, thanks.

The Haunting of Hill House is exceptionally good. Show but well paced and hosed up in its own way. Not at all what I expected.

Didn't even see this post :catstare:

the unabonger

Manifisto posted:

no, but looking at the reviews, which are mixed, I'd certainly be up for giving it a go. at least they're mixed in an interesting way, as in "ambitious but flawed"

I haven't really read any reviews, but I was a huge fan of Dan Stevens as Legion, and it seems pretty Wickerman-ish, so I'm into it.

cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

it seems like most people thought let the right one in was a p good movie, but for some reason I wasn't feeling it, although it is certainly well shot. I guess I could write a little bit about the problems I had with it if anyone is interested, but basically I think the actual premise of the film runs directly counter to what many people seem to take away from it.

Uno: the original or the remake?

Dos: what do people seem to take away from it?

Manifisto

cda posted:

Uno: the original or the remake?

Låt den rätte komma in (2008). I haven't seen the remake.

cda posted:

Dos: what do people seem to take away from it?

hmmm let me provide a few quotes from reviews, taken at random (i.e. I haven't necessarily tried to find the best or most thoughtful reviews, just some examples of the sentiment I'm talking about):

Daniel Kasman posted:

All coyness aside, Alfredson's film is touchingly and surprisingly sincere and sweet. The tremendous casting of Kåre Hedebrant as the fey, sneakily optimistic Oskar, and the sultry, feral Lina Leandersson as his vampiric love gives the film, even in its sometimes glib humor on the sidelines and an overlong, chunkily edited final act, the graveness of earnest teenage longing, and a palpable feeling of emotional respite when two lonely souls finally meet.

Tina Park posted:

It is this threat underlying their love that makes the film so touching and melancholy, so real and unsentimental. Let the Right One In, perhaps more subtly than its predecessors in the sub-genre, perfectly captures the nature of love as a delicate and dangerous balancing act, lovers poised for a fleeting, magical moment between need and defiance, trust and menace, sweetness and violence.

Sukhdev Sandhu posted:

this isn’t a rehashed cash-in on that film’s success. In fact, it’s everything Twilight wanted to be but wasn’t: beautiful to gaze at, achingly romantic, emotionally involving, unexpectedly terrifying.

I could go on. the main point is, in my experience many people speak of the film as "romantic" in some general sense. imo given the premise there is nothing genuinely romantic going on. at most there is an illusion of romance covering something quite predatory, significantly more so given the very problematic "ancient being with adolescent human" trope.

an interesting comparison point is the hunger (1983), which is I would say more forthright about the power dynamics at play.

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit
Oh, yeah, your take is right and those people are loving nuts.

cda

by Hand Knit
The point of the movie is that Oskar ends up completely committed to evil, and the hosed up thing is you can see exactly why he makes the choice.

alnilam

i watched the original halloween for the first time in a while last night it was p good *plays long john carpenter synth note*

very drawn out lots of suspense and really does a great job of showing how creepy a shot of 'guy standing in the distance and staring at you / your window' can be

as all john carpenter movies it's kind of flawed but still lovable

ty manifisto

Robot Made of Meat

albany academy posted:

Haunting of hill house is p good to watch

This is true.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Not scary, but two of my very favorite films are Vamp (Horror/Comedy vampire film starring Grace Jones and the very sexy Robert Rusler*), and Highway to Hell (Humorous trip through hell with a fun, different take on things).

If you're looking for something fun, funny, and not too scary, I recommend these two.

*not to mention uncredited set dressing by Andy Warhol and Keith Haring

Robot Made of Meat fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 22, 2018

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Manifisto

cda posted:

The point of the movie is that Oskar ends up completely committed to evil, and the hosed up thing is you can see exactly why he makes the choice.

that's good, I hadn't thought of it quite that way but that's a far more coherent take than most of what I've encountered. oskar's arc is certainly not a positive one, and that's part of why I found the movie offputting. I guess my impression was along the lines that oskar tried to stand up to his bullies but lacked the strength to defeat them, which cements his allegiance to an older powerful entity that does have this strength and speaks kind words to him. but this is a lie; oskar will most likely be cared for and protected only as long as he is useful, and then discarded. like håkan. oskar's physical and emotional vulnerability is exploited throughout, first by the bullies and then by eli. and that's depressing.

ty nesamdoom!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I just took a chance on Gone Girl and was tricked into seeing Ben Affleck hanging dong ugh

talk about shocktober, woof

do not recommend

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
see Mandy instead is my advice

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'm looking for a recommendation

Please recommend me $10000 million dollars

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

that's good, I hadn't thought of it quite that way but that's a far more coherent take than most of what I've encountered. oskar's arc is certainly not a positive one, and that's part of why I found the movie offputting. I guess my impression was along the lines that oskar tried to stand up to his bullies but lacked the strength to defeat them, which cements his allegiance to an older powerful entity that does have this strength and speaks kind words to him. but this is a lie; oskar will most likely be cared for and protected only as long as he is useful, and then discarded. like håkan. oskar's physical and emotional vulnerability is exploited throughout, first by the bullies and then by eli. and that's depressing.

Yes, absolutely. Vulnerability is a major theme of that movie. In particular, there's a critique of masculinity going on that might complicate the idea of Oskar "lacking the strength to defeat" his bullies. I think the reason there might be so many off-base readings of the movie are because people buy into the idea that the bullies deserve what they get at the end.

Oskar is a child. He doesn't need to have strength. What he needs is support. That's what he lacks, and he never gets it. His choice is to be alone and vulnerable, or to accept a version of "strength" which is nothing but an acceptance of the inevitability of violence. That the bestower of this "strength" appears to be a little white girl presents many complexities, but one way of reading it is: that's how it actually works in our modern construction of masculinity. The defense of the white girl facilitates a displacement of male anger, which is occasioned by a terrifying recognition of male vulnerability, into violence which is supposedly protective. Women are the medium through which men find excuses to hurt each other to distract from their own pain. If people think that's romantic, well, I guess that's exactly how romance has been understood for hundreds of years, but clearly the movie is intended as a critique of that position, not as an endorsement of it.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this distinction, but there are scary movies, and there are disturbing movies. Obviously a movie can be both, but I don't like scary movies, and I often really like disturbing movies. I don't think Let the Right One In is very scary, but it's disturbing. It sticks with you because it illuminates the dynamics of abuse so well. A lot of scary movies aren't disturbing because, although they might present disturbing ideas, the endings uphold the possibility of escape from the disturbing world they've created, even if it's only a temporary reprieve. Let the Right One In isn't like that; there's no escape from the vampires. The choice you have is to be destroyed, or to serve.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

kalel

hamjobs posted:

this but for mother! and substitute DID for physical/verbal abuse

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

SciFiDownBeat posted:

this but for mother! and substitute DID for physical/verbal abuse

I could not sit through mother! in the theatre for this reason yes. I was glued to Hereditary and could not move and just freaked out and ate my meds the whole time. It was hosed.

Dungeon Ecology

yeah thats the hosed up part is they make you sit through the grief, and she does such a good job in that role

kalel

For the record I think Hereditary is very good and mother! is one of d.aron's better films (his style is very much an acquired taste) but both are quite easily traumatizing to the average viewer.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

They're both loving phenomenal films--particularly Hereditary, it's probably one of the best films I've ever seen--but GOD drat I will never sit through it again.

Manifisto

i flunked out posted:

I haven't really read any reviews, but I was a huge fan of Dan Stevens as Legion, and it seems pretty Wickerman-ish, so I'm into it.

I watched it, and I guess I have some mixed feelings myself. I like the look of the movie and the setup is intriguing, but I feel like a tighter film could have been made out of the raw materials. I mean I was overall entertained, but given where the movie ended up it seems like things dragged unnecessarily at times. also the parts that were shot at night are really quite dark and hard to see, for me that gets difficult to follow and I don't care for it.

ty nesamdoom!

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

alnilam posted:

i watched the original halloween for the first time in a while last night it was p good *plays long john carpenter synth note*

very drawn out lots of suspense and really does a great job of showing how creepy a shot of 'guy standing in the distance and staring at you / your window' can be

as all john carpenter movies it's kind of flawed but still lovable

thats funny i watched it two days ago as well. i hadnt seen it before. i was impressed at the camera work for how old the movie is but a lot of the acting really doesnt hold up very well. can definitely see why its considered a classic though. are any of the 20 or so other halloween movies made between 1978 and now worth watching or should i just go see the new one

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Dungeon Ecology posted:

yeah thats the hosed up part is they make you sit through the grief, and she does such a good job in that role

idk i felt like jennifer lawrence was constantly completely confused in a not very convincing way throughout the whole movie and fell kind of flat because of it

redm

i usually try to rewatch videodrome or paranoia agent around this time of year

sig by Manifisto

wearing a lampshade

I'm gonna rewatch paranoia agent as well now. Ty for reminding me about that show.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Gone Fashing posted:

thats funny i watched it two days ago as well. i hadnt seen it before. i was impressed at the camera work for how old the movie is but a lot of the acting really doesnt hold up very well. can definitely see why its considered a classic though. are any of the 20 or so other halloween movies made between 1978 and now worth watching or should i just go see the new one

Most of the sequels aren't great. There are good moments here and there, but most of the movies aren't very good. Michael is a one dimensional killing machine and so most of the sequels try to impart motivation and history on him to make things interesting. A lot of these additions to the series just complicate things and don't really add much and that's why the recent sequel ignores literally all of the sequels to the original movie.

My advice is to watch Halloween 3: Season of the Witch because it is completely unrelated to Michael Meyers and tells a really bonkers story that is entertaining. Watch that one and the new one which is fantastic. The new one is easily the best of all of the sequels to the original Halloween. EASILY.

Halloween 2 takes place literally the next night after the original movie. It's ok, but not nearly as good as the original. 4 through 6 tell a new set of stories with a new cast. They're all ok to bad. 6 is a complete mess of a movie where it seemed like the writers, directors, and editors all had a different idea of what the movie was about. It's really bad. Halloween H20 (7) is polarizing. I enjoyed it and it would have been a decent sendoff for the whole series. Jamie Lee Curtis is back from the first two movies. LL Cool J plays a security guard who wants to write erotica. The next movie, Halloween Resurrection(8), is terrible. Don't watch it.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Cubone

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jolo posted:

Halloween 2 takes place literally the next night after the original movie.

this is why I call November 1st "Halloween 2"

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Halloween 2 is awesome because most of the candy and decorations are heavily discounted.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

alnilam

Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasance enjoying savings so good, you'll scream

alnilam

The twist ending is there are only dubble bubble / lollipop mix bags left

Manifisto

hollow ween is not v scary . . . theyre supposed to be hollow

ty nesamdoom!

wearing a lampshade

My position on hill house has reversed and now I think it's bad and it has to do with it turning into monologue city at the halfway point and never coming back

the unabonger

Manifisto posted:

I watched it, and I guess I have some mixed feelings myself. I like the look of the movie and the setup is intriguing, but I feel like a tighter film could have been made out of the raw materials. I mean I was overall entertained, but given where the movie ended up it seems like things dragged unnecessarily at times. also the parts that were shot at night are really quite dark and hard to see, for me that gets difficult to follow and I don't care for it.

I watched it and tbh what you said here seemed pretty spot on.

Also, i realized as i rewatched the originial Suspiria and watched Hereditary over the weekend that for me music and noise is such an important part of my enjoyment of scary movies. I love suspiria, but honestly, I probably wouldnt like it as much without the Goblin soundtrack. It's very visually appealing for me, but at the same time the music is insanely good and brings in that extra dimension to the visuals. With Hereditary, the scenes where it has that solid thumping made my heart race, even if they werent particularly frightening. I dunno. What other horror movies have good soundscapes?

Manifisto

i flunked out posted:

I watched it and tbh what you said here seemed pretty spot on.

Also, i realized as i rewatched the originial Suspiria and watched Hereditary over the weekend that for me music and noise is such an important part of my enjoyment of scary movies. I love suspiria, but honestly, I probably wouldnt like it as much without the Goblin soundtrack. It's very visually appealing for me, but at the same time the music is insanely good and brings in that extra dimension to the visuals. With Hereditary, the scenes where it has that solid thumping made my heart race, even if they werent particularly frightening. I dunno. What other horror movies have good soundscapes?

gonna watch hereditary tonight probably. that's an interesting point about sound, it's pretty integral to building up a horror mood but it can also be really abused. like setting up a jump scare, what annoys me particularly is when you know one is coming because of the music, it just feels clumsily manipulative. (tho apostle actually had what I consider to be a pretty good/effective jump scare).

probably an obvious choice, but the silence of the lambs soundtrack seems pretty iconic (I've been watching hannibal on amazon, probably what makes me think of it--they put some pretty good music in that show too.) there's that one string motif that pops immediately into my head when I think about the movie, imo it does a great job of setting the film's tone

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

thinking about putting the ghostbusters theme on loop for 24 hours (no)

• Locked thread