Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

it seems like most people thought let the right one in was a p good movie, but for some reason I wasn't feeling it, although it is certainly well shot. I guess I could write a little bit about the problems I had with it if anyone is interested, but basically I think the actual premise of the film runs directly counter to what many people seem to take away from it.

Uno: the original or the remake?

Dos: what do people seem to take away from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
Oh, yeah, your take is right and those people are loving nuts.

cda

by Hand Knit
The point of the movie is that Oskar ends up completely committed to evil, and the hosed up thing is you can see exactly why he makes the choice.

cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

that's good, I hadn't thought of it quite that way but that's a far more coherent take than most of what I've encountered. oskar's arc is certainly not a positive one, and that's part of why I found the movie offputting. I guess my impression was along the lines that oskar tried to stand up to his bullies but lacked the strength to defeat them, which cements his allegiance to an older powerful entity that does have this strength and speaks kind words to him. but this is a lie; oskar will most likely be cared for and protected only as long as he is useful, and then discarded. like håkan. oskar's physical and emotional vulnerability is exploited throughout, first by the bullies and then by eli. and that's depressing.

Yes, absolutely. Vulnerability is a major theme of that movie. In particular, there's a critique of masculinity going on that might complicate the idea of Oskar "lacking the strength to defeat" his bullies. I think the reason there might be so many off-base readings of the movie are because people buy into the idea that the bullies deserve what they get at the end.

Oskar is a child. He doesn't need to have strength. What he needs is support. That's what he lacks, and he never gets it. His choice is to be alone and vulnerable, or to accept a version of "strength" which is nothing but an acceptance of the inevitability of violence. That the bestower of this "strength" appears to be a little white girl presents many complexities, but one way of reading it is: that's how it actually works in our modern construction of masculinity. The defense of the white girl facilitates a displacement of male anger, which is occasioned by a terrifying recognition of male vulnerability, into violence which is supposedly protective. Women are the medium through which men find excuses to hurt each other to distract from their own pain. If people think that's romantic, well, I guess that's exactly how romance has been understood for hundreds of years, but clearly the movie is intended as a critique of that position, not as an endorsement of it.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this distinction, but there are scary movies, and there are disturbing movies. Obviously a movie can be both, but I don't like scary movies, and I often really like disturbing movies. I don't think Let the Right One In is very scary, but it's disturbing. It sticks with you because it illuminates the dynamics of abuse so well. A lot of scary movies aren't disturbing because, although they might present disturbing ideas, the endings uphold the possibility of escape from the disturbing world they've created, even if it's only a temporary reprieve. Let the Right One In isn't like that; there's no escape from the vampires. The choice you have is to be destroyed, or to serve.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread