Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
It’s the coldest time of the year in my apartment, and this thread reminded me I used to run this stuff some 10 years ago or so, so I’m at it again. I’ve been running WCG, SiDock@home fora few days, and just signed up for GPUGrid.net

We’ll see how well my 6-7 year old hardware fares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
How common is it for jobs to just get stuck? I got a couple jobs for SiDock@home that have been stuck on the same % completion all day, time elapsed almost at 1.5 days, when others finished in ~20 hours.

mdxi posted:

Edit, a few hours later: :lol: the entire site, including forums, is returning a variety of errors now. No updates on social media. The last thing I saw on the forums was people wondering why in the world they'd make an announcement like that on a Saturday :smithcloud:

I did download and complete a bunch of jobs, but right now all of my WCG downloads are stuck. I guess this explains it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
A couple days ago I was looking into new projects to run for when WCG doesn't work, and saw that there were some GPU tasks I could definitely run from PrimeGrid. So my current projects are WCG and SiDock, both CPU, and now PrimeGrid for GPU.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
In the past week or so, I haven't had issues with WCG WUs, though I was getting Open Pandemics (OPN1?) tasks when I'd set my projects to just MCM and ARP. Just yesterday, though, I got a bunch of stuck downloads for GPU Open Pandemics tasks (OPNG?). I did get some ARP tasks, but yeah, lots is just not working.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

unpronounceable posted:

In the past week or so, I haven't had issues with WCG WUs, though I was getting Open Pandemics (OPN1?) tasks when I'd set my projects to just MCM and ARP. Just yesterday, though, I got a bunch of stuck downloads for GPU Open Pandemics tasks (OPNG?). I did get some ARP tasks, but yeah, lots is just not working.

Something must have changed, because today I noticed that my OPNG tasks started downloading without issue. I'm not sure what's happened to my CPU WCG tasks, but I'm happy that something is running smoothly for it.

EDIT: Soon after I said this, I downloaded a bunch of MCM1 WUs :toot:

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 12, 2022

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

skybolt_1 posted:

I am unable to get BOINC to honor the first requirement; it will run GPUGRID tasks regardless of whether or not the machine is in use, even though "Suspend GPU computing when the computer is in use" is selected.

Did you set the client to always run on the gpu vs. running based on preferences? That's the only thing I can think of offhand, if you've already set the "in use" option and timeframe.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

mdxi posted:

A WCG update appears!

So the good news is that all extant projects are working on new work. And the downside is that Sharcnet still hasn't fixed WCG's network issues or moved them to solid state storage arrays.

Looks like they're starting to send out ARP WUs again. Unrelatedly, my WCG downloads have stalled and hit a project backoff.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
WCG has finally fixed their poo poo, moved their data to SSDs, and I'm currently running OPNG WUs.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/article.s?articleId=784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

mdxi posted:

I'm out of words for WCG at this point. They have become the partner that you love dearly, but who is having problems and refuses to talk about them in any meaningful way. Many people on their forums have been posting loudly about how they're gonna take their cores and go home -- which I think is a very boomer approach to the problem, though I certainly also feel the frustration. Personally I'm pondering just switching entirely over to FAH, since their focus is also biomedical and that's very important to me... but that's not a decision I'm going to make quickly or out of pique.
I want to support WCG for their medical projects, but also ARP. I’ve kept SIDock@home as a secondary project though. I’m not willing to move outside of the boinc ecosystem, so while I’d prefer WCG get their poo poo together, it doesn’t particularly bother me, since i don’t need to change anything about my setup