Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
CHANGES TO AIR PATROL ORDERS. I will highlight the differences:
- Foxhounds are now fixed relative to the frontmost eagle at 100nm rather than the rearmost
- SU-27 now launch when the enemy is 150nm from the foxhounds.
- SU-27 now launch at 10:00 even if there's no enemy action.
- SU-27 now launch into a patrol box rather than trying to intercept the enemy.
- SU-27 patrol box is unleashed as the enemy gets close.
- Foxhound line moves 50nm east if the SU-27s enter their patrol box without engaging the enemy, if this happens conditional [1] is cancelled.
- Conditional [5] added, gives blanket permission to engage if all our fancy movement planning is obviously failing in action.

Standing Orders: MANUALLY set all contacts originating from Japanese airspace as hostile as they appear.

All foxhounds + 1 MIG-29 to use patrol area indicated on the map below, engagement outside this area is FORBIDDEN for now
- Flight Size: Single Aircraft
- Transit Throttle: Cruise
- Fuel State RTB: No, units do not RTB
- Weapon State, Pre-Planned: Winchester: Allow guns.
- Weapon State RTB: No, units do not RTB
Rebase them to Iturup once launched.

Forward A-50 Mainstay and 2 forward refueling aircraft to move to point 20nm east from the north boundary of the foxhound patrol area, see map. As the fuel aircraft dry swap in a fuller tanker from the other support mission.
- Transit Throttle: Military

Second A-50 Mainstay and other refueling aircraft to be stationed at point indicated NE of Iturup / N of Urup, EMCON Active, withdraw NW at MILITARY if eagles come within 100nm.

(ignore my points just use the ms paint boxes)
(this map is a little old, stuff has moved)

CONDITIONALS:
[1] IF eagles are detected flying towards our foxhounds, when the frontmost eagle is 100nm from the patrol area, make the point boundaries of the patrol area and the support point FIXED RELATIVE TO the frontmost eagle flying towards our foxhounds, and change the AAW mission to "Transit Throttle: MILITARY". If they're detected too close move the points east first before fixing so that the area is 100nm from them. CANCEL this entire conditional if the SU-27 reach their patrol area before it is triggered.

[2A] IF eagles are detected within 150nm of the foxhound line, OR IF the phantoms are detected no eagles, OR IF the time is 10:00 according to that big fat number Yooper has on every screenshot, launch the following mission. NOTE this mission is to transit the SU-27 towards Iturup and IS NOT MEANT for engagement.
AAW Patrol - 3x SU-27
- Area should be a 40nm box, 20nm N of Iturup airbase
- Flight Size: SINGLE AIRCRAFT
- Transit Speed: Cruise if it was activated by 10:00, Military if it was activated by the enemy
- Manually set home base to Iturup when aircraft are launched.
Doctrine:
- DO NOT investigate contacts outside of the patrol area
- DO NOT investigate contacts within weapon range
- Engage Ambiguous Targets: Optimistic
WRA:
- AA-12 Adder B:
--- 4th Gen: Divide 18 by number of eagles detected, round down (for example, 8 eagles would be 18/3=2 rnds), to a max of 3 rnds
--- 3rd Gen: 1 rnd
--- Air Contact - Unknown Type: use the same setting as 4th gen
--- Aircraft - Unspecified: 1 rnd
--- All other: Do not use weapon.
- AA-11 Archer:
--- All aircraft: 2 rnds
--- All guided weapon: 1 rnd
EMCON:
- Passive unless we lose the AEW

[2B] Once the SU-27 close within 100nm of enemy eagles OR reach the patrol area, CHECK the two the Investigate Contacts boxes so that they engage the enemy. Set up prosecution zones so that they don't accidentally go off chasing the AEW or other faraway aircraft - they should engage at about 100nm but don't let aircraft slip around uncontested. Set EMCON ACTIVE.

[2C] If the SU-27 reach their patrol area without engaging and the enemy still hasn't approached within 100nm of the Foxhounds (as in, hasn't triggered point movement), move the Foxhound line and Forward Support 50nm to the east into the Pacific and CANCEL conditional [1].

[3] Once SU-27 are shooting or being shot at all Foxhounds are to engage AAW Patrol encompassing all enemy air assets.
Doctrine:
- Transit Throttle: Afterburner
WRA:
- AA-9 Amos:
--- 4th Gen: If there are phantoms in the air, Do not use weapon. If there are no phantoms, 3 rnds.
--- 3rd Gen: Divide number of remaining AA-9s by number of phantoms, round down (example: 8 phantoms, 6 foxhounds with 4 each is 24/8 = 3 rnds)
--- Aircraft - Unspecified: 2 rnds
--- Air Contact - Unknown Type: use the same setting as 3rd gen
--- All other aircraft: Do not use weapon
--- All guided weapon: Do not use weapon
- AA-11 Archer:
--- 4th Gen: If there are phantoms in the air, Do not use weapon. If there are no phantoms, 2 rnds.
--- 3rd Gen: 2 rnds
EMCON:
- Active

[4] In the unlikely scenario that the phantoms go up with no eagles just slam them with a foxhound patrol mission as per [3] and launch the SU-27s as per [2].

[5] Tits up conditional: if it's obvious this plan has too many working parts to engage the phantoms before AShMs are launched, immediately have all AAW Patrol missions engage the enemy.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Vepr Orders:

Follow route RED.

I'm hoping the coastline partially shields the sound coming from an Akula running full throttle, but regardless I need to catch up ASAP.

Speed: Maximum.
Depth: Just below the layer.
Weapons Release: RPK BOL on any hostile submarine torpedo or harpoon launches. Regular torps on any unidentified goblins in range.

Contingent Orders:
1) If I reach the end of route RED before the convoy, somehow, slow to creep for the rest of the turn so I can hopefully catch any JMSDF subs transiting the strait.
2) If I reach the end of route RED after the convoy, which seems likely, continue at a frankly silly 35 knots southwest towards the southern coast of Iturup.
3) If I'm fired upon from more than 20 nmi out, turn in the opposite direction of the torpedo and continue at max speed- the type 89 doesn't have great range and is only 20 kts faster than an Akula going all out.
4) If I'm fired upon from less than 20 nmi out, fire all RPK tubes on BOL with 2nmi between each missile.

NOTE: None of these orders are to countermand any prior orders or contingent orders entered as part of our theater strategy as laid out by TheDemon.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 13, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Russia 31

In 24 minutes the SU-27's will launch from Sobol and head to the Red Marked Patrol area unless bogeys are detected earlier. Beyond that Habeas in his Vepr is going all out to catch up with the convoy. He'll be avoiding cavitation.

This will be another hour round unless strike package is detected inbound.

Habeas reaches max speed just below the layer.

You have 5 Bears in the straits. Plus the Helix is dipping before the convoy.

As sonobuoys decay more are added.

SU-27's have lifted off. The convoy is 30 minutes from the first point and roughly 1.5 hours to the end. Once the ships reach Iturup it'll be considered safe. Drove up on the beach or some such.

MAD hit! Torpedos away!

Bear dropped torpedo is inbound.

Goblin dives and accelerates! Then it goes quiet. Bear goes in for another pass. If it doesn't pick it back up we'll get some RPK's on it.

RIP Oscar Diggs

I'm not sure what happened but there is a pile of 100 sonobuoys in one spot in the southwest of the patrol area.

That's an hour!

And... you will arrive in 1:09.

Orders by Tuesday!

If you do detect the airstrike inbound do you just want me to run it with the orders as is, or halt after 30 minutes and allow you to respond?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Yeli Air Group Adjustments

Delete the current Tu-142 patrol area and recreate it as a single box running between the front of the convoy and its destination, 20nmi wide. Drop a torpedo from every aircraft every 15 minutes, prioritising the longer ranged kind, until only two torpedoes remain per aircraft. If two aircraft are lost withdraw the remainder away from the threat until the threat has subsided.

With TheDemon's signoff only

Split all MiG-31 flights up and keep them on patrol as single aircraft.

Modify WRA in conditional [3] to read:

- AA-9 Amos:
--- 4th Gen: If there are phantoms in the air, Do not use weapon. If there are no phantoms, 3 rnds

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

FrangibleCover posted:

With TheDemon's signoff only

Split all MiG-31 flights up and keep them on patrol as single aircraft.

Modify WRA in conditional [3] to read:

- AA-9 Amos:
--- 4th Gen: If there are phantoms in the air, Do not use weapon. If there are no phantoms, 3 rnds

You have my signoff. No other changes to our air patrol orders. Actually I'm just going to refresh orders to delete unused conditionals.

Please ensure the SU-27 have permission to engage outside their box and will prosecute to defend airspace as ordered.
Please ensure the SU-27 are EMCON ACTIVE as ordered.
Please ensure that the Foxhounds+Support are moved 50nm east as ordered and Conditional [1] is retired.

Standing Orders: MANUALLY set all contacts originating from Japanese airspace as hostile as they appear.

All foxhounds + 1 MIG-29 to use patrol area indicated on the map below, engagement outside this area is FORBIDDEN for now
- Transit Throttle: Cruise
Rebase them to Iturup once launched.

Forward A-50 Mainstay and 2 forward refueling aircraft to move to point 20nm east from the north boundary of the foxhound patrol area, see map. As the fuel aircraft dry swap in a fuller tanker from the other support mission.

Second A-50 Mainstay and other refueling aircraft to be stationed at point indicated NE of Iturup / N of Urup, EMCON Active, withdraw NW at MILITARY if eagles come within 100nm.

CONDITIONALS:
[2A] Set up prosecution zones so the SU-27s don't accidentally go off chasing the AEW or other faraway aircraft - they should engage at about 100nm but don't let aircraft slip around uncontested.
AAW Patrol - 3x SU-27
- Area should be a 40nm box, 20nm N of Iturup airbase
- Flight Size: SINGLE AIRCRAFT
- Transit Speed: Cruise
- Manually set home base to Iturup when aircraft are launched.
Doctrine:
WRA:
- AA-12 Adder B:
--- 4th Gen: Divide 18 by number of eagles detected, round down (for example, 8 eagles would be 18/3=2 rnds), to a max of 3 rnds
--- 3rd Gen: 1 rnd
--- Air Contact - Unknown Type: use the same setting as 4th gen
--- Aircraft - Unspecified: 1 rnd
--- All other: Do not use weapon.
- AA-11 Archer:
--- All aircraft: 2 rnds
EMCON:
- Active

[2C] If the SU-27 reach their patrol area without engaging and the enemy still hasn't approached within 100nm of the Foxhounds (as in, hasn't triggered point movement), move the Foxhound line and Forward Support 50nm to the east into the Pacific and CANCEL conditional [1].

[3] Once SU-27 are shooting or being shot at all Foxhounds are to engage AAW Patrol encompassing all enemy air assets.
Doctrine:
- Transit Throttle: Afterburner
WRA:
- AA-9 Amos:
--- 4th Gen: If there are phantoms in the air, Do not use weapon. If there are no phantoms, 3 rnds.
--- 3rd Gen: Divide number of remaining AA-9s by number of phantoms, round down (example: 8 phantoms, 6 foxhounds with 4 each is 24/8 = 3 rnds)
--- Air Contact - Unknown Type: use the same setting as 3rd gen
--- All guided weapon: Do not use weapon
- AA-11 Archer:
--- 4th Gen: If there are phantoms in the air, Do not use weapon. If there are no phantoms, 2 rnds.
--- 3rd Gen: 2 rnds
EMCON:
- Active

[4] In the unlikely scenario that the phantoms go up with no eagles just slam them with a foxhound patrol mission as per [3] and engage the SU-27s as per [2].

[5] Tits up conditional: if it's obvious this plan has too many working parts to engage the phantoms before AShMs are launched, immediately have all AAW Patrol missions engage the enemy.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 13, 2019

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

For the observers:

We were doing some digging on Google Maps and found a few more things to highlight how ridiculous this mission is:

That's the LZ. Note that 3d is often a bit flatter than real life, so basically you either hit the side of a mountain or you hit the beach then drive up some cliffs. I think the best option is to land on the left side of the beach and drive up by the slope of the mountain. Also you're 70km cross-country from the nearest settlement.

There's a perfectly good flat beach on the N side of the isthmus, though. And a major town with a big harbor:

Look at the top right. The harbor is visible, and that beach spans several kilometers.

We don't have a good picture of it but our Iturup/Burevestnik airstrip is actually in the old cold war spot. Here's the new one:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Vepr Orders

Proceed to end point of Route RED.

Speed: At Waypoint in Route RED drop from 35 kts to 5 kts.
Depth: Just below the layer.
Weapons Release: RPK BOL on any hostile submarine torpedo or harpoon launches. Regular torps on any unidentified goblins in range. If a Japanese plane somehow is entering range of my Strelas, pop up and take a potshot.

Contingent Orders:
1) If I'm fired upon from a sub, fire all RPK tubes on BOL with 2nmi spacing between each missile.
2) If I'm in position to RPK the Eagles, RPK the Eagles.

NOTE: None of these orders are to countermand any prior orders or contingent orders entered as part of our theater strategy as laid out by TheDemon.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 15, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TheDemon posted:

For the observers:

We were doing some digging on Google Maps and found a few more things to highlight how ridiculous this mission is:

That's the LZ. Note that 3d is often a bit flatter than real life, so basically you either hit the side of a mountain or you hit the beach then drive up some cliffs. I think the best option is to land on the left side of the beach and drive up by the slope of the mountain. Also you're 70km cross-country from the nearest settlement.

There's a perfectly good flat beach on the N side of the isthmus, though. And a major town with a big harbor:

Look at the top right. The harbor is visible, and that beach spans several kilometers.

We don't have a good picture of it but our Iturup/Burevestnik airstrip is actually in the old cold war spot. Here's the new one:

Yeah, I posted a bunch of these prior to the start of the scenario because I'd been thinking they'd be available for use. Sadly, they're not.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Kashalot will follow the final operational orders:

1. Surface the boat and prepare Strela tubes for launch.

2. Proceed at maximum surfaced speed to the patrol zone designated earlier:
code:
Search Area Boundaries
45.29 N, 148.91 E
44.79 N, 148.96 E
44.86 N, 147.71 E
43.97 N, 147.72 E
3. If hostile ASM launch is detected, submerge the boat to just above and slow to creep speed.

4. Swim Call is authorized once landing operations have begun at Iturup.

Again, any unidentified submerged contact should be treated as a hostile. Use RPKs and torpedoes as appropriate.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 14, 2019

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Kashalot will follow the final operational orders:

1. Surface the boat and prepare Strela tubes for launch.

2. Proceed at maximum surfaced speed to the patrol zone designated earlier:
code:
Search Area Boundaries
45.29 N, 148.91 E
44.79 N, 148.96 E
44.86 N, 147.71 E
43.97 N, 147.72 E
3. If hostile ASM launch is detected, submerge the boat to just above and slow to creep speed.
I hope this works, and don't forget to volley RPKs into the Eagles!

(Some of the men appear to be preparing for Swim Call prematurely)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hi what's up I'm back sorry about that.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

aphid_licker posted:

Hi what's up I'm back sorry about that.

Batten the hatches, load the RPKs and prepare to repel Phantoms. Either they do it this turn or they lose.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I just checked and I already have an RPK'ing Eagles conditional, which makes sense because I expected the big final blowup about three updates ago. So I'm g2g. :w00t:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't think I'll be in position, but added an RPK conditional for Vepr.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Russia 32

This is it. Iturup is in sight. The convoy is about to enter the straits. It is 1:09 until the convoy reaches the safety of the island.

The SU-27's have a prosecution zone covering sout about 100 nm. Once they have engaged incoming hostiles I will expand the MIG-31 prosecution zone to include all incoming strike aircraft. The Support line and MIG-31's are all shifted east by 50 nm.

Oh, and the subs wll fire RPK's into the scrum.

A 2nd 767 launches from Hachinohe.

One hour.

The 767 is pulling east while the other one is headed north.

Goblin detected by Aphid to the northwest. I'm detaching a bear to investigate.

:catdrugs:

Bogey!

Data is scattered, only satellite ESM is picking it up.

Bogey-bogey. Count of 8. I've scaled the WRA accordingly.

Bear gets a MAD hit!

FFS. It's out of gas.

Aphid is launching.

RPK away!

The RPK strikes! But a 2nd goblin has appeared... An SSK, but no info as of yet. The resolution is too low to get a firing solution.

43 minutes to convoy arrival.

So the SU-27's chased a zone of uncertainty when the satellite picked up an ESM signal. So at the moment they are near the MIG-31's but headed back north.

Eagles about to enter prosecution zone. Then it's on like donkey kong. Once they are engaged I will send in the MIG-31's per orders as no Phantoms have been sighted.

Suddenly vampires! Total of 4! The convoy goes defensive!

Jammers go online!

Geckos clear all 4 incoming vampires.

Eagles are now in the prosecution zone and the SU-27's go offensive. Once missiles are launched I'll deploy the MIg-31's.

Bogeys detected to the south! 340 kts, 12000 ft. Per orders I'll be setting WRA on MIG-31's to ignore Gen 4 fighters. Then I'll expand MIG zone to include this area.

Missiles away! Both the Flankers and Eagles begin firing almost simultaneously.

Lots of missiles!

One Eagle down! Two more go down shortly after.

A Flanker is hit, but survives. (So far).

A MIG-31 bites it. A second flanker takes a missile a moment later.

The last Flanker is down.

Bogeys! 8 bogeys, EMCON silent. 480 kts, 200 ft. I'm assuming those are the Phantoms. The MIG-31's must have fired on P-3's.

P-3s are in trouble. The Eagles will be in firing range any moment.

Every single P-3 is hit. Only one remains in the air. Eh. Not for long.

The Eagles respond a moment later.

The final Flanker takes out an Eagle before succumbing a moment later.

The Eagles, lured in towards the base, finally trigger the Gargoyle!

3 of the MIG's eat missiles.

RIP Soda Popinski.

Another MIG is down!

One Bear is investigating where the goblin was last seen. All the other Bears are screening the convoy area. 11 nm to go.

At this moment you've got 8 Phantoms inbound. The MIg-31's just fired a salvo on them. Beyond that only 3 Eagles remain.

The Eagles take out the remaining MIg-31's with heaters. The AA-9's fly towards the Phantoms, unguided. The SA-20 at Iturup caught 3 Eagles overhead and took them all out. The final MIG-31 on station succumbed to the pair of southern Eagles.

The convoy is 22 minutes from victory. Almost...

But 8 Phantoms remain and a single sub is evading detection by a pair of Bears.

Two Phantoms in the north. 6 in the south. The Eagles drive towards the support line.

The Phantoms in the north have turned around.

:frogsiren:

Suddenly torpedos!

The convoy goes evasive while the Bears go offensive on the last known position of the sub.

One of the Eagles tried to hunt a Bear...

Vampires sighted as they crest over the island.

Torpedos incoming. Vampires in bound. Now is the moment of truth.

A Grisha is the first casualty.

The Bear gets a mad hit, drops a torpedo and it's spoofed! Habeas fires an RPK!

A wall of Geckos knocks out 5 harpoons but one gets through.

Bacaruda is damaged by a Bear and killed by the RPK.

One of the torpedos impacts DandyWalken....

RIP Dandywalken.

But by now all of the Harpoons are gone.

Rip the Metel.

One of the ferrys is knocked out.

It's a dud!

RIP the KP-19.

RIP the KP-6, an important ferry.

RIP the Kharon!

RIP the KP-62!

RIP the KP-35.

Finally the seas clear.

As the convoy reaches the island we get a message from Moscow.

The last pair of Eagles caught a bunch of support assets as they limped away (or bravely died hunting Bacaruda.)

As valiant as the JDF fought, the troops landed on Iturup settled the issue. Moscow can claim a victory while the newly resurgent nationalist elements in Japan are being driven from power.

Thanks everyone for participating and watching! This'll be closed so please take your discussion to the Main Thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871512

Stay tuned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I N S A N E

This was amazing, Yooper.