Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Russia Turn #2

First we'll roll through individual units with orders and show you guys where everything is going.

PL-877M KILO Mogocha

Default, unless otherwise specified, is Avoid Cavitation. Speeds shown are at current depth, I do this to avoid a few seconds of cavitation as the depth is adjusted. Target is for the unit to go Just Over the Layer, or -197 ft.

PL-885 Trigger Happy Pilot

PLARK-949A Oscar - Stago Lego

PLA-971 Akula - Aphid

PL-877M Kilo Nurlat

PLA-971 Akula I - Cling Wrap Condom

Unit is assigned to a patrol mission bounding ahead of the convoy.

PLA-971M Akula II Koolkevz

DandyWalken, Grishas, Convoy

All units are on the same path at the same speed. This will keep the Steregushchy ahead by about 75 miles.

MISSIONS

We have a variety, I'll try to nail it down in one picture.

GO GO GO

TriggerHappyPilot classifies the local biologics as a school of fish. This is interesting as he's more than twice the distance that Stago Legos Oscar is.

ClingWrap Condom picks up a goblin.

And another one.

Convoy is convoying!

SEAD Strike birds are in the air. Same with the aircraft from Yelizovo.

Strike teams are wave height, scaring seagulls and such.

1011.30 : All goblins resolved to be biologics.

Stago Lego finds one more. Turns out to be another biologic. Someone call Ahab, good whaling here.

All strikes inbound. Range from 35nm to 66nm. Frustratingly the satellite coverage is gone at the moment.

On satellites, should you want a prediction of the orbits, I can provide that if you tell me what time period you're interested in.

Two eagles. RWR on the SU-27 goes bonkers.

33nm to radar strafing. 14nm till the Eagles get a good radar solution.

Mig-29's are closing and fast. 21nm & 53 nm.

Two more bogeys, both looking to be Eagles. Soda Popinski is only 11nm from target.

3.88 nm!

Soda Popinski scores a direct hit on his first salvo! He is now RTB.

Dylguy's Flanker dives in for the kill! Further south one of the bogeys has gone up to 840 knots while the other is still at 350.

And another kill! The Flanker pulls up and turns tail back towards home.

Uh oh.

He dives for the waves, corkscrewing as he goes. Two missiles hot on his tail!

Boom! Holy poo poo. That Flanker is loving wrecked. But wait! He gets off an AA-12 Adder! One more AAM is inbound!

Our valiant Flanker bursts into flames. But his AA-12 is still active...

Two more missiles suddenly appear inbound for Lt Nikolai "Vodka Drunkski" Egorikhin! He's 14nm from his target, the missiles will reach him before he has a chance to strafe!

And the first one missed! Vodka Drunkski fairly well poo poo his pants!

Another miss! Vodka Drunski goes in for his strafing run. 11nm to go until target.

6nm and the hostiles seem to be almost on top of him.

Missiles! Two more of the bastards! Only 2.3 nm to go!

1000 meters! The missiles go active!

The wildman, Lt Nikolai, lets off an AA-10 just 400 meters from the radar dish!

Target down! Lt Nikolai goes into drastic evasive maneuvers.

And a moment later the missile smashes into his MIG. Pilot down.

A pair of the Chinese Yaogan satellites pick up an emitting E-767 on the southern coast of Haikaddo. The radar reach just extends to the Kuril's.

The air wing from Yelizovo just passes over the top of the convoy. AEW, Tankers, Bears, and MIG's.

We see a few hostile fighters scattered above Hokkaido in patrol patterns. Lt Mishurin is almost back to Iturup.

Lt Mishurin sets down at Iturup safely. To his west the bogies, 480 kts, 20,000 ft, are lost to the radar horizon. The pair to the south have been off the Big Bird radar for 4 min 33 sec.

And that's our 30 minutes! I'll give a run down of units now.

Subs.

Big mess of units. Lots and lots.

Please let me know if you need more status or information on a unit.

:catdrugs: Going ahead we'll do all aircraft with patrol, strike, or support missions. :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
holy poo poo that worked

Okay, in hindsight I was unclear when I said "ignore the map". The MiG-31s are to go to the patrol area initially marked but there are to be eight of them, not four. On the other hand don't actually do that yet because I'm probably going to think of something better for them to do now.

Also I note that our Akulas are not as initially described, I think they're two Akula Is and an Akula II. Can you confirm Yooper?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I can't believe those maniacs pulled it off. God drat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I recommend all three pilots for recognition as heroes of the Russian federation.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

holy poo poo that worked

Okay, in hindsight I was unclear when I said "ignore the map". The MiG-31s are to go to the patrol area initially marked but there are to be eight of them, not four. On the other hand don't actually do that yet because I'm probably going to think of something better for them to do now.

Also I note that our Akulas are not as initially described, I think they're two Akula Is and an Akula II. Can you confirm Yooper?

MIG-31's, 8 of them, are already en route to a patrol area.

Confirmed on the Akulas, Aphid & Cling Wrap are in Akula I's, Koolkevz is in an Akula 2.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Wednesday Order Deadline. If I have all the orders earlier I'll try and run the mission sooner.. If you don't want to change anything then leave the orders link in the sheet.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Very happy that worked, not so enthused about losing a SU-27 but you can't make an omelette and all...

I am less happy about our detection over the coast of Hokkaido, despite our radars we're pretty much blind here until the Mays get closer.

Seeing our orders on the map, the only thing I would point out is @Stago Lego, it's probably not necessary to zigzag until you get into the combat zone. Given that your Oscar is carrying P-700 missiles, it would be nice if you're within 300 nautical miles as fast as practicable. Our other anti-ship options are getting within 54nm with torpedoes on the Akulas or a 6h reload to equip 6nm Kedges on the Migs.

No change to orders for my SU-33s for the next 30 minutes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh my loving god. Wish I could read the Japanese thread.

Akula Bratsk to set course 170deg, go to max depth, flank speed for next turn.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 21, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

TheDemon posted:

Our other anti-ship options are getting within 54nm with torpedoes on the Akulas

Vital bit of information: The SS-N-16 is target type: submarine only so my only option vs surface targets is going full Das Boot

e: I was honestly surprised by how limited/laser-focused on ASW the loadout on this tub is

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 21, 2018

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Alright, it we're biological contacts after all.
The Vetr changes course to straight to Hokkaido. Keeping 5 knots as speed and depth at just above the layer. I'll also shoot at any surface contact with a good resolution. After firing my missiles I go deep and as fast as possible back north, away from the AO.

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 21, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Stago, you're in range of the Iturup approaches, you might want to light up any surface combatants who think they can steal a march on us and shell our airbase there.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 21, 2018

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Stago, you're in range of the Iturup approaches, you might want to light up any surface combatants who think they can steal a march on us and shell our airbase there.

Allright I'll set my weapons loose for surface contacts. However when I fire them I'll make my presence known to the world so the other subs better watch my back.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Stago Lego posted:

Allright I'll set my weapons loose for surface contacts. However when I fire them I'll make my presence known to the world so the other subs better watch my back.

I shall provide air defense

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Observers, I have named my MiG-29 squadron. You may share this information with the JSDF, because there was a vkontakte page set up for the squad:

Aleksandr "Soda Popinski" Mishurin
Nicolai "Vodka Drunkski" Egorikhin
Andrei "Bolkonsky" Semenov
Egon "Ghostbuster" Spenglerin
Boris "Puppy" Volkov

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah I'll name my dudes too as it becomes relevant. Our squadron's first war hero shall be known as Gregaro "Moth" Ivinoiilitovich

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 22, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

By some strange coincidence everybody on my crew is named Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov and all the torpedos are named yob tvoyu mat

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Updated threat assessments, ignored the ones I don't like.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871510#post488929294

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Severodvinsk will continue with present orders.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Operation Born to Run
This operation is to commence at T00:30:01 (i.e. right now) and to remain in effect until further notice. The goal is to be ready to have our 8 MiG-29s that are not in turnaround able to take to the air and scarper north/do something if they can be useful.

Flight Mikhael
Planes:
x2 MiG-29SMT - piloted by Lt. Col. Andrei “Bolkonsky” Semenov & Lt. Egon “Ghostbuster" Spengelerin.
Loadout:
Initial A2A loadout
Orders:
1) Prepped for Ready 30

Flight Nikolai
Planes:
x2 MiG-29SMT - piloted by Cpt. Nadia “Margarita” Igorievna & Boris “Puppy” Volkov.
Loadout:
Initial A2A loadout
Orders:
1) Prepped for Ready 30

Flight Olga
Planes:
x2 MiG-29SMT - piloted by Cpt. Yermolai “Rook” Nikulichev & Lt. Ivan “Terrible” Lenkov.
Loadout:
Initial A2A loadout.
Orders:
1) Prepped for Ready 30

Flight Pavel
Planes:
x2 MiG-29SMT - piloted by Lt. Aleksei “Ramming Speed” Khlobystov & Lt. Katerinka “Little Pest” Kuznetzova.
Loadout:
Initial A2A loadout.
Orders:
1) Prepped for Ready 30

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 24, 2018

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

habeasdorkus posted:

Operation Kuril Shield
This operation is to commence at T00:30:01 (i.e. right now) and to remain in effect until further notice. The goal is to rearm four of the MiGs into their anti-ship loadouts in order to protect Iturup from any Japanese surface combatant hanky-panky, while having four other MiGs ready for A2A interceptions in case the JSDF is playing things wildly aggressive.

I have the following concerns:
- The 3 hour rearm timer you had stapled to your forehead may have come off, but the Oscar is already covering you for ASuW duties and I'll be mounting a continuous radar patrol one way or another to cover the approaches. It's your command and you have the right to protect it, but I don't think that strike loadouts for you make sense.
- Wingmen can't pick up SARH missiles. Yeah, I know, that'd make my life way easier too.
- How far away is 45 minutes? I don't know either, like, but I suspect that it's anywhere over Hokkaido.
- What are you defending Iturup against? This is my main one really. They can't strike the base because of the AA, so there's no reason to put fighters up to defend it. Furthermore, if you do launch fighters they will quite likely be slaughtered by Eagles.

@Yooper, can I get a pass prediction for SAR satellites going within range of Iturup/Burevestnik air base, to see how good our coverage against sneaky bombardments is?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

I have the following concerns:
- The 3 hour rearm timer you had stapled to your forehead may have come off, but the Oscar is already covering you for ASuW duties and I'll be mounting a continuous radar patrol one way or another to cover the approaches. It's your command and you have the right to protect it, but I don't think that strike loadouts for you make sense.
- Wingmen can't pick up SARH missiles. Yeah, I know, that'd make my life way easier too.
- How far away is 45 minutes? I don't know either, like, but I suspect that it's anywhere over Hokkaido.
- What are you defending Iturup against? This is my main one really. They can't strike the base because of the AA, so there's no reason to put fighters up to defend it. Furthermore, if you do launch fighters they will quite likely be slaughtered by Eagles.

@Yooper, can I get a pass prediction for SAR satellites going within range of Iturup/Burevestnik air base, to see how good our coverage against sneaky bombardments is?

1) Yeah, that makes sense, there's not much I can do with Kedge's that the P700s wouldn't be able to.
2) Well drat. I'll have to change that order.
3) I mistakenly copied the 45 minutes part from the ASuW, so that obviously needs changing.
4) Part of my rationale is to have something up and ready to go for the two primary potential attacks we'd face at Iturup, and also so that I can get the birds in the air and fly north if we come under attack there. I can probably account for the latter issue by having everything on Ready 30, though.

My main concern at this early in the confrontation is how they handle a first strike, and if our local airbase and forces could be put out of commission. I'll be on discord tonight.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

This is for coverage above Hokkaido.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LOL@the dwell time on that Persona. I think it should dwell for the entire mission, because a hot conflict is exactly when you'd want to use your satellite's dwell time over an area.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Updated orders: Yelizovo Air Group
Air Weapons Free. If it's not ours, kill it. R-33S set to 2 rounds per target, 2 shooters per target for unknown target types and Generation 4 fighters. RTB when Winchester, use of guns allowed when :krad:.

A-50 - Support air defence detection network by patrolling in the vicinity 47°38′N 146°40′E, EMCON A when on station. If enemy aircraft approach to within 150nmi, withdraw at military speed to the Northeast keeping the radar on. If all MiG-31s currently airborne are lost or have expended all of their missiles, run for Yelizovo at max speed and minimum altitude.

Il-78s - Support other assets by holding in the vicinity 49°N 149°E. If enemy aircraft approach to within 150nmi, withdraw at military speed to the Northeast. If all MiG-31s currently airborne are lost or have expended all of their missiles, run for Yelizovo at max speed and minimum altitude.

MiG-31s - Refuel from the Il-78s when they reach their patrol area. Split into two flights of four and hold 20nmi South and 20nmi West of the A-50. If the A-50 begins to withdraw, withdraw alongside it. If enemy aircraft approach within 100nmi of the A-50, engage them. If enemy aircraft engage the MiG-31s, engaged aircraft are to flee on afterburner until the missile is evaded or the enemy approaches to within 100nmi of the A-50, then engage and destroy the enemy.

Tu-142s - Continue on current tasking. If enemy aircraft approach to within 150nmi, withdraw at military speed and patrol altitude to the Northeast. Once they are gone, return to patrol.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hello there! Are you looking for adventure? Excitement? The chance to die for your country, or to at least make the other bastard die for his?

If you said yes to any of these questions, the ALLIES may be the choice for you! Now—right now!—the Allied thread of the ongoing Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg LP is looking for dedicated patriots and/or nonchalant well-wishers to help fill command positions.

What command positions, you may ask? Well, we can’t say too much here—German spies are everywhere! But we’re currently offering prime officer commissions in some of the following branches:

The Infantry!

The Armor!

The Artillery!

The Engineers!

Even the fine flyboys of the Air Corps may be recruiting!

So don’t delay! Visit the Allied Thread and sign up today!

We've got two spots for platoon level leaders left, 24 hours until the planning for the second battle of noville begins. Stinky German players not allowed!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Russia Turn 3

10:35:10

Our intrepid pilot finally sets down at Iturup while a whole slew of MIG-31's streams south. Beyond that the subs are moving into position. Further north the convoy is gaining steam.

:catdrugs: For future subsurface orders, please define "rules of the hunt" if a sub-surface contact is detected nearby. If in a patrol zone the sub will do it on its own, but if transiting, do you hunt? :catdrugs:

Most things are progressing as before. The MIG-31 patrol area is moved south as is the A-50. The Yasen is going balls out. No daring dives in this time frame.

Trigger is happily piloting away while cavitating.

The Big Bird is getting intermittent contacts patrolling north of Hokkaido. 480 knots, 20,000 ft.

A Kosmos 2406 passes almost directly overhead. It sees a Patriot battery, a pair of F-15J's, and some unresolved contacts. A few moments later the other pair of bogeys resolve into F-15J's.

Yagon trio passes overhead and detects an E-767 Sentinel over central Hokkaido.

Things are getting confused as our Big Bird resolves with the Yaogan's. The E-767 is showing to be north of Dolinsk. We are showing a new contact over Hokkaido, solo. 315 kts and 20,000 ft.

The Yaogan want the E-767 to be near Dolinsk while the Big Bird does not concur. However the single bogey is still moving north.

With the Yaogan trio gone things look less retarded. We're showing a single contact, 205 kts, 20,000. South of it is another contact, 480 kts, 20,000 ft.

The MIG-31's are nearly to the patrol zone.

A poo poo ton of fuel. Lotsa lotsa.

The first of the sonobuoys goes across the northern strait.

At 1110 we'll wrap up this round. If you need revisions to your orders please do so, otherwise I'll continue on with previous orders.

The MIG-31's are 86 nm from patrol area with 2:51 of fuel remaining. They are 2:11 from Bingo fuel and 126 nm to the nearest tanker.

Tankers are also 80nm from GAZPROM path. Western Bear is 120 nm from patrol area.

:catdrugs: Orders by Saturday! :catdrugs:

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

The vaunted Japanese response: Nothing much right now. Good work lads, we've still got the initiative and I think they're a bit unsure about what to do.

I'll have a look at a few options but I suspect that the aircraft at 205kts and 20000ft is an EP-3C Orion Electronic Intelligence aircraft. This is excellent news for us, I'm about to light off the decoy Bear's radar and they're going to see it bright and clear and heavily implying that we intend to take the convoy West and then South down the coast of Sakhalin behind the cover of Dolinsk airbase and our best fighters before sprinting across the narrowest part of the Sea of Okhotsk. That's the deception, anything anyone can think off to add to it as we go along is great. Eventually they're going to see the convoy but the later they do that the better it works for us.

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 25, 2018

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
My Kilos and my Akula is to continue to follow their current transit orders as for hunting, if a contact is revealed to be either a hostile or unknown subsurface contact they are to engage and sink the contact if they are in range or if you think they may have detected our subs otherwise they are to continue on their way.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
If both sides take a defensive posture like we're seeing right now we win by default.

Since that isn't going to remain that way, our job is to be ready when the Japanese shift to offense. Hopefully we get a better idea of what that'll involve as our AEW gets into range, but for now I would guess both sides are positioning subs and waiting for the convoy to close.

No real change in orders for me but I might write up some contingencies tomorrow.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

THP I'm pretty sure that you will be both quieter and safer if you go flank speed max depth. Cavitation is very loud and you could be 10kts faster and quieter, with the speed giving you an extra margin of safety bc you will be harder for some SSK to maneuver on. If you're in an SSK and a SSN zips by at 35kts with torpedo ranges being what they are they have to basically happen to drive right over you. At 25 and cavitating you're afaik both more detectable and have a larger footprint of space an SSK can gently caress you from.

Bratsk: no change to orders for one more turn, then switch to bearing 237deg, sprint and drift with a 15kt desired avg speed, just above the layer, always be hunting

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 25, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

No change for me.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

I don't think I'm going to do anything extra, but it might be worth considering some sort of contingencies for the forward air bases to launch aircraft if the enemy come past them towards my AWACS so that we can trap them in a 360 degree ambush.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

aphid_licker posted:

THP I'm pretty sure that you will be both quieter and safer if you go flank speed max depth. Cavitation is very loud and you could be 10kts faster and quieter, with the speed giving you an extra margin of safety bc you will be harder for some SSK to maneuver on. If you're in an SSK and a SSN zips by at 35kts with torpedo ranges being what they are they have to basically happen to drive right over you. At 25 and cavitating you're afaik both more detectable and have a larger footprint of space an SSK can gently caress you from.

Bratsk: no change to orders for one more turn, then switch to bearing 237deg, sprint and drift with a 20kt desired avg speed, just above the layer, always be hunting

I'm actually trying to make a lot of noise right now - I want them (if they can already hear me) to think i'm trying to sprint to the Pacific via one of the northern straits. In another turn i'm gonna go quiet, drop down to max depth, and change course. If they can't hear me the point is moot.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I'm actually trying to make a lot of noise right now - I want them (if they can already hear me) to think i'm trying to sprint to the Pacific via one of the northern straits. In another turn i'm gonna go quiet, drop down to max depth, and change course. If they can't hear me the point is moot.

OK!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Looking at the next round to go on Sunday. Plan accordingly.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Contingent Mission: сука блять

Flights Mikhael and Olga are to launch if Bogies stray northwards of the red line, upon the point where the last bogey in the group passes the red line. I'm not sure of the best way to engage them, but it sounds like a prosecution zone containing that whole northern area of the Okhotsk Sea would work?

Thrust
Transit: Cruise
Attack: Undefined
Altitude
Transit: Max
Attack: Undefined.

They are to engage the bogies from the rear, and RTB when Winchester on the AA-10s.

Margarita is to burn north on Afterburner for 1m30s and then drop to cruise if she doesn't see any missiles following her, MAX altitude, and if any Eagle crosses the red line engage and go defensive when hopefully they waste a couple AAM-4s on her.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 1, 2018

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Let`s take a look at the real life locations of today`s attacks.

1. The 28th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron in Abashiri
航空自衛隊 第28警戒隊
This Radar site is located on a mountain with only forest and the base support buildings surrounding it.

2. The 18th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron in Wakkani
航空自衛隊第18警戒隊
A costal site. Many homes would be exposed to any rounds that may have missed their target.

3. The 26th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron in Nemuro
航空自衛隊第26警戒隊
While the main radar is farther away from any homes there is still risk to civilians.

Only the radar in Abashiri is located in a remote location. The chance of collateral damage at the other two sites is higher as there are private home and business surrounding the base.

The Japanese Government could easily use this provocative action as cover/justification for any counter attacks they have planned. Any base personal or civilians that may have been killed could help drum up international support.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Those civilians were all russophobes and had it coming :argh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It was a false flag. Do you think we would do a strafing run!? Only way possible is it they knew they wouldn't be shot down! All a plot of their fascist leadership to take rightful Russian territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

A strafing run on the very same weapon and aircraft looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvMg3untjug

Even at 400 agl you're still going to point down into the target. Unless the homes are literally right next to the radar, the main danger to civilians is from the aircraft debris after they were shot down. Hm, wonder who was responsible for that...