Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
My last sub will try to make a grab of it following Davins plan.

Creep speed, below the layer, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Japan 21

WEATHER!

No rain.

Less clouds.

Sea State is now 4.

Kobold is headed towards the Hump. Two Bears are in the air nearby.

Jimmy resolves the bears nearer to the straits. Cpt Aphid in the Bratsk isheaded south, 26 kts, -1476 ft.

One of the bears is headed out of radar range.

And the other is 6.39nm from Kobold...

P-3C is Bingo and headed back for gas.

Kobold is 1 hrs and 3 minutes away from the Hump. To the west the MIG's and A-50 continue to bounce about.

Orders by Thursday!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I'm alive. Okay.
Keep calm and carry on.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

F-4 squadron pilots sleep lightly through the night.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Yooper, can we get a look at our plane setup, both our Eagles and our P-3s? How many more hours do we need?

Everybody else, we're about 16 hours in from mission start. Under the absolute worst case scenario, the Russian convoy would be about 200 miles from Iturup. I suspect we aren't dealing with the worst case scenario, because either Kobold or Taintrunner's AEW would have seen them by now, but either way, we should begin considering how to go about localizing the convoy.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Keep doing that thing that I do (which is moving at creep speed in the specified direction).

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

If no one minds I'll run the mission tonight and try to get one more before the holiday.

Speak now (or before 1900 EST) or forever hold your pieces.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Davin Valkri posted:

Yooper, can we get a look at our plane setup, both our Eagles and our P-3s? How many more hours do we need?

Everybody else, we're about 16 hours in from mission start. Under the absolute worst case scenario, the Russian convoy would be about 200 miles from Iturup. I suspect we aren't dealing with the worst case scenario, because either Kobold or Taintrunner's AEW would have seen them by now, but either way, we should begin considering how to go about localizing the convoy.

If that's the case I'll have my P-3s keep calm and do their things, spacing out when they forward deploy will keep it from getting predictable to the Russians.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Jimmy4400nav posted:

If that's the case I'll have my P-3s keep calm and do their things, spacing out when they forward deploy will keep it from getting predictable to the Russians.

Your P-3s currently airborne are going back for gas. I think you ordered 5 of them to get AShMs, so they'll be ready in about 4 hours. You can send up the last one if you'd like or keep it in reserve.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Japan 22

Notables. The P-3's are both headed for dry land. The F-15's on station have 35 minutes of fuel remaining before bingo. The Patriot battery is in position. The crew is now partaking in some ice cream. Kobold will, in roughly 1 hour, reach the Hump.

So far the ROE you guys have called out has been sub specific, but with the convoy approaching from somewhere you may want to rethink what you're willing to shoot at. Ie, your subs have harpoons.

MIG's are still holding near Bac and his boats.

You pick up what appears to be 4 more MIG's inbound.

Kobold reaches the Hump!

As Kobold slows to a stop he picks up Aphid, damned near on the beach.

AEW is alone over the coast.

Orders by Friday please!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

gonna make like a newfriend and lurk :tinfoil:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

drat Japanese intransigence on airplane turnaround! I really would rather hit the convoy before they get under the cover on the SAMs on Iturup, but that might mean we have to launch before most of the Eagles are ready.

Taintrunner, I'd advise you to change position, because you're totally exposed right now. Either move west to get behind the Patriot, or move south east to get out of enemy radar range and maybe locate the convoy. Jimmy4400nav, if you feel like sending up your last P-3 to assist this effort, you are also authorized to do so.

Bacarruda, Oscar Diggs, I'm authorizing a full move to the southeast. Transit as fast as you feel comfortable with (ideally without cavitation), and consider loaded up a couple of Harpoons as you get close. Radio Free Kobold, you may also wish to load a few Harpoons.

Remember, it's about 0300, so the worst case scenario is that the convoy is 175 miles NE of Iturup, possibly around the mark on the map.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 20, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i'm in a pretty good place to setup for a convoy interception, if we can get it detected.
please detect the convoy.
please.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin informed me I forgot to refit the previously landed P-3's to ASM loadouts.

Jimmy, is this correct? If so I'll retcon it to the proper refit time and loadout.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Yooper posted:

Davin informed me I forgot to refit the previously landed P-3's to ASM loadouts.

Jimmy, is this correct? If so I'll retcon it to the proper refit time and loadout.

Correct I would like those P-3's to also be loading ASM please!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
You guys are playing Japan, so wouldn't you save your harpoons for whaling? :v:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Japan 23

So in Japan on the solstice they take baths with yellow pumpkins. Or it looks like a pumpkin. The gently caress if I know.

Not much is changing orders wise. Oscar is continuing south while the BacPac is holding position pending further orders. Kobold is on a nice rock hump, and there will remain.

P-3's have been retconned to the proper loadouts but with the loadout time matching me not loving it up.

Cpt Aphid in the Bratsk is firmly in the middle of Kobolds convergence zone. He is making 26 kts, -449 ft.

4 New Mig's are inbound.

The Bratsk dropped speed and we lost the contact at 19 kts. Or it could have exited the convergence zone.

It appears two groups of MIg's are departing, so there is 4 MIG's on station now.

Two new bogeys appear from the north, both solo. 395 Kts.

There are now potentially 3 Bears patrolling the straits, and island, north of Iturup. They are all flying at 1000 FT ASL.

When you see the faint green ring around the subs, that's the surface weapons range. The subs have the ability to fire a Harpoon out to 75 NM. So it is not neccessary to get to spitting distance as with a torpedo. On the downside you only have 4 harpoons compared to 16 torpedos. Something to keep in mind as those Bears present a worthy adversary.

Kobold is on station, Oscar is headed south. Three bears loiter north of Iturup. 4 MIG's, an AEW bird, and some fuelers (?) maintain patrol.

5 Hours until the first Eagles are ready (4) with 6 more available in ~ 7 hours. At the moment 1 Eagle is flight ready.

Orders by Wednesday please. Happy Holidays to you dudes and dudettes.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Those two new guys are almost certainly bears.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
BacPac
Make your speed 10 knots below the layer - bearing due SW.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Keep on keeping on. Slightly faster moving up to the channel, but back down to creep speed while making the crossing.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

F-4's and F-15's standing by

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Yooper posted:

Japan 23

So in Japan on the solstice they take baths with yellow pumpkins. Or it looks like a pumpkin. The gently caress if I know.

Those are Yuzu.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_junos

In the winter they throw a bunch in the bath/hot-spring gives off a pleasing Citrus odor.
My wife has a ton ready to be chucked in now.

Makes good liquor too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Japan 24

No major changes as of yet. The BacPac is headed to the southwest while Oscar is increasing speed slightly on his way to the straits. Taint is holding position. The Patriot will become available at the end of this turn. Please define ROE accordingly.

Eagles are prepping.

As are the Orions.

MIG's are back in front of the AEW. It's likely the three bogeys behind are fuelers.

At least one likely Bear is covering the straits. 250 kts. 1000 ft.

Two.

That's the round! Fairly uneventful. Still no sign of the convoy.

Orders by Friday!

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

F-15s and F-4's standing by...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

It's 5:00 AM local time, and under worst case scenario the convoy will be arriving in 5 hours. Bac, OscarDiggs, get ready to load harpoons and and continue to move in such a way as to be able to put missiles on the waters between Iturup and the next island in the chain--you're already doing that, this is just making it explicit.

Taintrunner, Jimmy4400Nav, this is an explicit order. Move your aircraft to the east and slightly north--we should begin the process of localizing the convoy's location this turn, so that we have plenty of time to assemble the strike package.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rodger that, will prepare orders later this afternoon.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Soryu-class submarines have six torpedo tubes. HIJMS Kobold will load four tubes with Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Otherwise, keep right on a-lurkin'

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E-767 is going to now take this route:

Should give us the coverage we need.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

E-767 is going to now take this route:

Should give us the coverage we need.

Er, I'd advise moving east towards open ocean first, before moving north.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I'll get my orders posted sometime late morning early afternoon tomorrow (on west coast time at the moment).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

P-3

Hachinohe Air Command posted:

0455Z
FLASH
HAYABUSA 5

YOU ARE HEREBY ORDERED TO FLY TO THE DESIGNATED PATROL AREA MARKED IN WHITE AND HOLD STATION KEEPING AT 10,000 FT. IN THE EVENT OF ENEMY PURSUIT YOU ARE TO DROP TO LOWEST POSSIBLE ALTITUDE AND MAKE TO A SAFE AREA AT BEST POSSIBLE SPEED BEFORE EVENTUALLY RETURNING TO ORBIT ABOVE HOKKAIDO.

EMCON CHARLIE: YOU ARE AUTHORIZED TO UTILIZE EO/IR SENSORS, ESM GATHERING EQUIPMENT, ECM IN THE EVENT OF ATTACK.
RADIOS ARE AUTHORIZED FOR USE IN EMCON CHARLIE
RADAR USE IS AUTHORIZED FOR USE ONCE AT STATION KEEPING. RADAR MAY BE MAINTAINED UNLESS ATTACK IS VECTORED TOWARDS YOUR AIRCRAFT. IN SUCH AN EVENT, YOU ARE TO RESUME EMCON ALPHA STATUS AS YOU FLY TO A SAFE LOCATION.

Kind of just flying to the same area as before, it seemed fairly secure and gives us a good view of the eastern approach to the area.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Japan 25

:japan: :wtc:

Mostly quiet. Jimmy is headed up and to the east to give a good look for the convoy. Beyond that Kobold is hanging out while the other subs are making for the target area.

Oscar is headed towards the strait while a potential Bear lingers nearby.

Harpoons have a range of 75 nm, the light green rings you see is the max range.

Jimmy is aloft in his P-3.

Bears continue to criss-cross the area northeast of Iturup.

Bears continue to watch the strait. To the east we haven't seen either sub for at least 3 hrs. A Big Bird Radar popped up somewhere on Iturup. On the flight line not much has changed, 4 MIG-31's, an AEW, and some potential gas stations.

Orders by Sunday please!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i'd guess those subs have gone silent and quiet so those rings (drawn at max speed) are probably wildly inaccurate. creeping speed is what, 5 knots-ish? last contact is what, four or five hours? so draw a 25nm circle around the last known position and that's gonna be much more accurate, enough to draw a subchaser box if we were so inclined.

for the love of god please spot the loving convoy i sware on me mam, even if you just get one radar hit and immediately lose it that is better than the literal nothing i am working with now.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

F-15 and F-4's await further word.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

We're working on it. Yooper, I can't find our airborne aircraft on the map--where are they as of 0600?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

We're working on it. Yooper, I can't find our airborne aircraft on the map--where are they as of 0600?

Taint is in his patrol route while Jimmy is still 90 nm from his target area. The surface search radar on the P-3 has a range of about 200nm, so once he's in position he'll get a bit of a snapshot of what's past Kobold, but not much.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Change of plans, I want to shift the E-767 out to sea. Gonna need some fighter cover if you can spare it - thanks in advance.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Stay steady where the sub is for now.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Change of plans, I want to shift the E-767 out to sea. Gonna need some fighter cover if you can spare it - thanks in advance.

I have been told to just hold. Should I have the 1 remaininn F-15 scramble if Taintrunner is threatened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Val Helmethead posted:

I have been told to just hold. Should I have the 1 remaininn F-15 scramble if Taintrunner is threatened?

I'm not sure if they want to do that, since they know that our strike has to be coming up soon, but sure, do so.